• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Striek

Can't blame Nintendo. The offering isn't important. Your paying for online, they're starting cheap, you'll buy it and you'll like it. Can't expect them to leave money on the table.

It will be $60/yr within 5 years.

Celine

DBR86U9WsAAl0kf.jpg:large

yes yes yes!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Delayed until 2018, $20/year, and the online-enabled retro games are playable as long as you're subscribed after all?

but I don't understand! Star Wars taught me this deal is only supposed to get worse and worse!

[EDIT] The "retro games are playable as long as you're subscribed" part should definitely be added to the thread title. Nintendo rarely listens, so this is nice for a change.

I wouldn't get too excited about online enabled NES games

Why not? I mean, I can understand some not getting excited. But those games are the beginning of my gamerhood. I can't believe I will be possibly playing online balloon fight, a niche title that I thought I was the only one to ever try, originally.

It's actually kind of crazy.

Shiggy

Delayed until 2018, $20/year, and the online-enabled retro games are playable as long as you're subscribed after all?

but I don't understand! Star Wars taught me this deal is only supposed to get worse and worse!

[EDIT] The "retro games are playable as long as you're subscribed" part should definitely be added to the thread title. Nintendo rarely listens, so this is nice for a change.

We don't know that yet. It could well be that access to the games is removed if the games are removed from the library, even if you continue to have an active subscription.

Why not? I mean, I can understand some not getting excited. But those games are the beginning of my gamerhood. I can't believe I will be possibly playing online balloon fight, a niche title that I thought I was the only one to ever try, originally.

I guess a lot of people got their fair share of NES games with the NES Classic (at least if the managed to get one) and realised that the games don't hold up quite as well as hoped. I mean, who is excited for online Balloon Fight? Or SMB3 where users need to take turns? It's still great they added online functionality, but I personally don't see these NES games as added value. I already have the ones I was looking forward through the NES Classic, which was a one-time investment.

First, what you are getting for online play now is NOT what you will be getting when this is rolled out and you have to begin paying for it. That is pretty self-evident unless you've been paying absolutely no attention whatsoever, so the 3DS and Wii U comparison isn't an apt one.

By this point I'm sure you've been called out on this more than once, but In a word, Bollocks.

The online play come2018 will be exactly the same as it is now, and if you believe otherwise, to quote you, you are "insane". Nintendo isn't going to massively revamp two of its three existing big pillars of online play that they're releasing in 2017 (kart and splatoon), plus the new game in ARMS.

Sakura

Eh... the features are kind of shitty.
But it is hard to get upset over what amounts to less than 2 bucks a month.

Fbh

For $20 and with their change to classic games (playable for as long as you are subscribed instead of one month) that seems pretty ok.

Hopefully they add SNES games before long and these games better be playable offline (they probably are...but with Nintendo you never know)

Zemm

Ah the old paywall going up just after a load of kids get a Switch at Christmas with Mario Kart, ARMS and/or Splatoon

zg1qR_s-200x150.gif

Hallowed

This announcement worries me.

I seriously hope there is VC for Switch where I can buy and play old games offline (subscription-less), like on wii u and 3ds.

If you have to be subscribed to play those old games, it's a step backwards and I'll actually be really pissed off.

oti

Banned

I seriously hope there is VC for Switch where I can buy and play old games offline (subscription-less), like on wii u and 3ds.

If you have to be subscribed to play those old games, it's a step backwards and I'll actually be really pissed off.

Pretty sure Nintendo will let you give them your money.

Kikorin

I pay about 50$ every year to live subscription only to play online (I don't care about free games they offers 90% of the times), I'll pay 20$ for play online on Switch if this is the only way to play online.

redcrayon

Seems a reasonable enough pitch to me at £15 or whatever per year for online play. All the bells and whistles on PS+ like cloud saves and downloadable games have never mattered that much to me, and nor do online NES games either for that matter. Plenty of time for them to refine it.

Sakura

20 dollars a year for a Netflix style library of old Nintendo games. Yea I'm ok with that.

Yea. Though with Nintendo I could see it starting with like, those three games. And then adding a handful more every now and again.

StayDead

Would you not rather pay £20 (because face it that's what it'll be in the UK) and access all the games rather than paying £20 and getting like 5 games?

Delay it even more. 20 euros for that kind of service is still fucking crap. If they added more value it would be a good proposition, the problem is the phone being half of the os.
Dena and nintendo can go and fuck themselves. They need to change i alot if they want me to start paying.
Ive played nes games to many times now, its good they actually let you keep them, but i would prefer it its more types of vc games and more than a handful a year.

Considering the success of the NES mini, i think there is actually an appetite for that sort of stuff. Can understand why it doesn't float everyones boat, but it does others.

I'm sure there's an appetite for NES games from some, but I think the NES mini sold as much based on the novelty factor as it did on genuine appreciation for the included games. I'd be wary of using that as a barometer of the games' appeal.

Mafro

Having only NES games is boring. I hope SNES and N64 games follow soon after.
It really is. One game from each of those formats would have been much better than the usual tedious drip feed they usually do. I've got a NES MINI so don't really care about NES games at this point unless they add online to Tecmo Bowl or something.

It's interesting but I just don't think playing online Balloon Fight or co-op Double Dragon 2 or Life Force is going to be an amazing experience. Don't get me wrong, there will be fun to be had playing through these games with a friend (...voice chat?) I guess but only when co-op is available, only when you have a friend who wants to play x game with you and even then it's not going to be as fun as doing it together in the same room.

I think it's a nice option but I don't see online NES as being a big deal.

I don't think this service adds enough value with just NES games.

PS+ is sure more expensive but the games you're getting are from this gen and last gen and the discounts are probably better than whatever discounts Nintendo is going to be offering. The PS+ discounts I've gotten over the past year made the subscription pay for itself not to mention I've seen what Nintendo considers e-shop discounts and they are laughable compared to PS+/XBL and Steam discounts.

ksamedi

I wonder how third parties will make money with this service. If the full library is active, will they distribute money based on playtime or something?

Shahadan

I wonder how third parties will make money with this service. If the full library is active, will they distribute money based on playtime or something?

It's not the full library, and I wouldn't expect anything else than Nintendo games for now lol

Shiggy

Classic Game Selection doesn't make it sound like it's the full library of NES games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Basically Nintendo's asking its users to donate $20 yearly to them, because they're not offering anything. No effort went into this on their end which is why they priced it so low. They know at that price people will just shrug and pay it to keep playing their games online. It's "Online" gaming on the worst wifi of any device since God knows when. So when it's shit, you'll just say oh well, it's only $20 per year.

Terrell

By this point I'm sure you've been called out on this more than once, but In a word, Bollocks.

The online play come2018 will be exactly the same as it is now, and if you believe otherwise, to quote you, you are "insane". Nintendo isn't going to massively revamp two of its three existing big pillars of online play that they're releasing in 2017 (kart and splatoon), plus the new game in ARMS.

There's these things, they're called "software patches". How they work is that they take an existing piece of software and replace existing code and "patch in" a replacement code.

And I can guarantee that their existing games will get such software patches to conform to Nintendo's online services as they're rolled out.

We live in an amazing era, don't we?

You're right, what you'll get once it rolls out is voice chat through your phone and next to no online functions from your switch.

Tell me the stock prices for the day you're currently situated in, future man.
Besides, you forgot subscriber-only eShop discounts. Which is an online function from the Switch. But I won't split hairs, you're doing just fine at that.

Wii U at least didn't had friend codes, you're right it's not an apt one.

It's hilarious that you think friend codes will survive the entire generation and be the only option to find friends online.

Vita's 1st party support has nothing to do with it's online fonctionnalities. The truth is, in 2011, it was able to do more than Switch in term of connectivity, so Nintendo has no excuses. Free of charge.

The fact that it had bombed or not is irrelevant to the day one fonctionnalities. So Nintendo should be able to provide the same.

It has a direct relation. If Vita had been a success, you bet your ass Sony would have killed free online on Vita when PS Plus was announced. But they had to sell the thing desperately somehow, so it was left alone, because they weren't likely to collect much money from the pittance of people who bought it, anyways. They were incentivizing a dying platform with a really low amount of online players. That plays a big factor.

Beside the fact that some of their online service will be free before the paywall goes up.

Also, no, online multiplayer wasn't always free on PC, especially when MS tried to make it pay with GFWL.

Yeah, and that died on the vine.

And you know what ? Online multiplayer was always free with Nintendo. Heck, it IS free right now with Switch. What's the argument to make it pay in 2018 ? Providing services not on par with a 2005 console and a 2011 handheld ? Renting 25 years old games ? This is BS.

I don't have one. You'll have to ask people paying $50 a year for something that's not on par with PC offerings and why they blithely accepted it for generations. I don't have the answer. I want these things to be free, too, with the features that can be expected. But I'm not so naive as to think they can be anymore, because it's been allowed, accepted and, in some cases, championed elsewhere. I only really hoped we wouldn't have to pay the same $50 a year, even if it meant fewer bells and whistles, because paying something was expected.

Also, considering none of these Switch online services currently exist for us to sample, how are they not on par? It's not like we can compare them. I don't know what I'm getting for what I pay for, I'm going to find out like everyone else.

You're saying it's a standard on consoles, but I thought Nintendo didn't had to be up to standards ? I mean, it's okay for Nintendo to not be up to standards when they have subpar services, why should they have to be up to standards when it comes to online paywall ? People keep arguing Nintendo is doing their own thing to excuse when they're late in major stuff and now people are arguing that others are doing it, so Nintendo is following.

Nintendo has been ignoring realities for years, even today. Can't they ignore another one ? Or is it okay for them to ignore it only when it's to defend them when they're late ?

Ignoring the realities of the console hardware market is partly why Wii U sold like garbage and partly why 3DS underperformed, so they got what they deserved, in that regard.

But with Switch, they're starting to accept certain market realities; they reworked their whole approach to hardware because of it. This just happens to be another.

jts

...hate me...
Basically Nintendo's asking its users to donate $20 yearly to them, because they're not offering anything. No effort went into this on their end which is why they priced it so low. They know at that price people will just shrug and pay it to keep playing their games online. It's "Online" gaming on the worst wifi of any device since God knows when. So when it's shit, you'll just say oh well, it's only $20 per year.

I play on ethernet 80% of the time, but when I undock it and play on wifi I never noticed any difference.

I'm sure there's an appetite for NES games from some, but I think the NES mini sold as much based on the novelty factor as it did on genuine appreciation for the included games. I'd be wary of using that as a barometer of the games' appeal.

That is also true. Personally, i'm all for it, i haven't brought any digital games from Nintendo before the switch due to the lack of account based system, so for me at least it is a chance to revisit classics i haven't played in 20 years.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only Dr. Mario game with online still available is Dr. Luigi for the Wii U.

Just a reminder that 2018 is also the Year of Luigi again (35th anniversary) so everyone should buy Dr Luigi or other Luigi related games in preparation for the greatest celebration of every half decade!

roytheone

Not a bad price, but they need to convince me they have greatly improved their online before I will pay. Mario kart disconnects a lot for me, and I am not going to pay for something that only works half the time.

Shiggy

There's these things, they're called "software patches". How they work is that they take an existing piece of software and replace existing code and "patch in" a replacement code.

And I can guarantee that their existing games will get such software patches to conform to Nintendo's online services as they're rolled out.

We live in an amazing era, don't we?

What would these software patches add though? Just support for the app?

Tell me the stock prices for the day you're currently situated in, future man.
Besides, you forgot subscriber-only eShop discounts. Which is an online function from the Switch. But I won't split hairs, you're doing just fine at that.

As a long-time Nintendo user, I can tell you that those discounts will be laughable. You are better off buying those games at retail. You'll see once the service starts, or you could just look at the sad state of My Nintendo.

It's hilarious that you think friend codes will survive the entire generation and be the only option to find friends online.

Why wouldn't friend codes survive the entire generation? They've been introduced in 2005 and are here to stay. Why would they suddenly remove them after 12 years?

Also, considering none of these Switch online services currently exist for us to sample, how are they not on par? It's not like we can compare them. I don't know what I'm getting for what I pay for, I'm going to find out like everyone else.

We know what the Switch online services will offer (voice chat, game making, and setting play appointments - all via an app; access to a selection of NES games; eShop discounts). We also already know the limitations of the voice chat feature (need for a newer Android or iOS device, separate adapter and more cables needed to have both in-game audio and voice audio on your headset).

$30 confirmed for Australia. That's a bargain, since psn and xbox is $70 a year.

To be fair, PS+ and XBL also have quite a bit more to offer.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I play on ethernet 80% of the time, but when I undock it and play on wifi I never noticed any difference.

That's fine for you. Others, including myself have experienced awful wifi connections or a complete failure to connect.

SMB3, Balloon Fight, and Dr. Mario.

Really, Nintendo? Those are the three best examples you have to tout as having online? More fucking NES stuff?

How about giving us some N64 and Gamecube games with online? Or hell, even without online would be a start.

This slow trickle of releasing their old library of games was bad enough when their online service was free, but if they're going to charge for it, they need to seriously up their game. The XBox 360 was doing a better job with it's XBLA ten years ago.

Shiggy

SMB3, Balloon Fight, and Dr. Mario.

Really, Nintendo? Those are the three best examples you have to tout as having online? More fucking NES stuff?

How about giving us some N64 and Gamecube games with online? Or hell, even without online would be a start.

You can probably buy them in the future (without online play), for 10-15 EUR each.

ajjow

I bet that they will only give 5 to 10 nes games a month.

Its Nintendo. They dont know how to use online or make businnes online. Microsoft and sony are much more prepared for online gaming and sales.

I'm a Nintendo fan, but this online dreaming has set sail a long time a go. Kyoto is incompetent...

Top Bottom