• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo switch UK price £279.99

I mean I really doubt games will be £60+. Even if they are I doubt that RRP will stick around for long. I really hope not because Nintendo sure likes their games holding their price.

Got mine on ShopTo...so i could pay now. I'd been saving for this and even though its higher than I'd like...well, fuck it. I am a sucker now :p/ *cries*.

I'm curious about the storage size of the games and their carts because if I was to think about doing something kind of stupid(expensive) and go all digital....how big a microSD(XC) card would I need...

For the long term there's so much I would like. Day 1 and you've probably been saving up/letting the hype get to you.

Edit: Apparently game carts for Switch are 16gb? That seems...lower than I imagined (I was thinking 32gb). Makes a 128GB mSDXC seem ample and then some.

VDenter

Banned
Considering that The base PS4 is considerable more powerful and has supposedly way more storage and comes with a game bundled in on top of that for 300 dollars it will probably be even more cheaper by march. Its absolutely ridiculous that the Switch costs as much as it does. 250 would have alright but 300 seems to be pushing it.

Decided not to bother and will get one when I grab a Scorpio. I'm not paying a premium for one game then nothing for 6 months, they don't deserve my money. I would love to play Zelda but I'm not desperate.

Oh well, all that hype for nowt!

NeonDelta

Have it preordered at shopto since the original announcement but think I'll cancel. Not paying over £300 just to play Zelda

Ninja Dom

Just preordered the Neon colour version at Amazon.

But I'll cancel and order direct from Nintendo UK as soon as their preorders go up.

DrunkDan

Ideally it would have been £280 for a Zelda bundle, I would have pulled the trigger immediately. At £280 standalone I'll probably hold off for a few months to see what happens instead.

I just feel like they may have misjudged this slightly. It could sell like crazy and I might be wrong though.

As the Wii U retained its value so well, selling that has covered most of the cost for me anyway.

It is too expensive in my opinion for what it is and as many have said maybe even including 1,2 Switch and not Zelda could have been a good option or £10 more for a Zelda bundle.

Ideally it would have been £280 for a Zelda bundle, I would have pulled the trigger immediately. At £280 standalone I'll probably hold off for a few months to see what happens instead.

I just feel like they may have misjudged this slightly. It could sell like crazy and I might be wrong though.

Should have definitely had a big pack in for the price. Either Zelda or Mario Kart.

They will fly through the first few million sales regardless though, but then I bet it starts tanking. Especially come the holidays when it will be going up against 4 other consoles, including another shiny new one.

Empty

wow i figured they were going to price this aggressively. like £199 or something. i'm not spending that much when i can play zelda on my wii u and if they can't sell immediately to one of the seven wii u owners in the uk then who will buy this.

Volotaire

Inflation Calculator:
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

SNES
Launch Price: £150
Year of Release: 1992
Today Equivalent Price: £290.54

N64
Launch Price: £250
Year of Release: 1997
Today Equivalent Price: £423.49

GCN
Launch Price: £130
Year of Release: 2002
Today Equivalent Price: £192.10

Wii
Launch Price: £180
Year of Release: 2006
Today Equivalent Price: £242.54

Wii U
Launch Price: £250
Year of Release: 2012
Today Equivalent Price: £272.84

Have you considered a job at a tabloid? ;)

What really matters is if wage inflation has kept up with price inflation, and the divergence of wage rise changes across different job sectors. Just calculating the real values of consoles is not robust.

Not sure what your trying to say her, should it be cheaper than these for some reason?

Because if nothing else, Nintendo probably doesn't want switch to be Wii u 2.0.

I can't imagine that happening when it's so much more expensive than the competition, even if being cheaper was never feasible.

Plasma

Banned
Far too expensive this is only going to sell to die hard fans, not sure what Nintendo are thinking really considering you can go into a shop right now and pick up a Xbox with a game or a PS4 for £220.

DiGiKerot

Why do people keep blaming Brexit? Getting a little fed up of this now. You can get a PS4 or XBOX One S, with games for cheaper than the Switch. Nintendo always price everything high. They wanted £299.99 for the 32GB Wii U and you could be a PS4 that was a new console for the same price.

This is Nintendo, not Brexit.

Because it would actually be cheaper if we hadn't tanked the value of our own currency?

Ushay

Waaaay too high for what you get spec wise. I'll pass until it drops in price.

Can get bundled Xbox and Playstation for a lot less..

I mean, I really want Xenoblade, but thats out of my price bracket for a console. Will wait and hope for the usual Nintendo price drop (thinks back to when I bought an N64 at launch for £250 and then it went to like £150 two months later).

VegiHam

wow i figured they were going to price this aggressively. like £199 or something. i'm not spending that much when i can play zelda on my wii u and if they can't sell immediately to one of the seven wii u owners in the uk then who will buy this.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. I genuinely can't see who's going to buy this other than the diehardest diehards, at this price...

Hasney

Lol £280 no thanks. My ps4 slim cost £230 and i got 2 free games with it. The only decent switch game is Zelda.

My PS4 cost more than the Switch and I got Knack with it. If you wait for the revision of this like you did the slim, you'll probably get similar deals.

PaulLFC

Not sure how smart that price is when both PS4 and XB1 have been under £200. Maybe should have taken a loss on the hardware and priced it lower and made it up with software. Interesting to see how this does.

Myself, I was prepared to jump in if the price was good, but this is higher than I expected. That said, considering the announcement was at 4am I haven't watched it yet. My opinion may change once I do.

Not sure how smart that price is when both PS4 and XB1 have been under £200. Maybe should have taken a loss on the hardware and priced it lower and made it up with software. Interesting to see how this does.

Myself, I was prepared to jump in if the price was good, but this is higher than I expected. That said, considering the announcement was at 4am I haven't watched it yet. My opinion may change once I do.
If you haven't seen the conference yet and you're already leaning towards no... you probably won't be getting one. It wasn't exactly convincing :p

You don't think the price of a competing product is relevant?

Nope.

You want that device (and not this) get that device.

You want this, get it.

There is a bias against Nintendo that somehow their offerings aren't "worth" above a certain price threshold. Usually because of some arbitrary graphics comparison. It's silly.

Switch is a portable dock console that has debuted 3 years after PS4 and XBone. If you feel the price is untenable for what Nintendo is offering compared to those consoles, then your choice is clear, get one (or both, if it suits you) of those consoles.

I was expecting £250 with a game. That price is insane and this thing isn't going to sell to the masses at that price, just the die hard Nintendo fans

liquidtmd

Banned
Just waking up to this pricing news.

£279.99 takes it out of what I can reasonable justify with a PS4 and a stacked next six months.

I'm out. Looking at the current generation and the competition coupled with the market and generally people's finances, Nintendo are...Optimistic let's say that.

Top Bottom