• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch user interface: Thoughts from a WhatsApp Product Designer

ksamedi

The os is great. Moving online feautures to a smartphone is a smart move if they want to keep it clean and simple.

Devil

Don't know if it's offtopic since it still deals with the OS itself more than the UI.

But is there still no solution to the problem that the Switch always turns itself on when put into the dock or connected to a charger? It's fucking annoying, I turn it off from handheld mode and put it where it should rest and charge and it just turns itself back on... And now I have to turn the TV on to put it back off. I don't want it to sit in sleep mode all the time, I want it off.

Even more annoying: I have all my devices on a power outlet which I switch off at night and turn on in the morning. Guess what happens all the time when I do so: the Switch turns on.

seady

I really really love the Switch UI. So quick and I agree its like mobile switching between apps. I don't need so many craps that I never used (maybe beyond the first try) to slow down the whole UI.

The 3DS is so slow I hate to switch between apps on it.

seady

I don't think any of those were sacrificed for speeds, we know thanks to development leaks that saves over the cloud are coming, that there is a full functioning browser in the OS and that video capturing is also coming. Media streaming isn't a console feature, it's a series of apps. That's like saying PS4 is lacking a basic console feature because Mario isn't on it. You can already download NicoNico if you want and more are coming soon. Even in the 1.0.0 update the Switch OS had a "disable sleep during media playback" option, meaning that streaming apps could've come at any time if those respective companies were up to it.

I remember the PS3 used to be quite fast, until a big system update with a brand new interface, then the whole system UI became super slow since then.

Junahu

The Main UI is fantastic.

The E-shop interface is less so. The option to just browse the entire library (along with "browse by Genre", which should be on every shop's main page by default) is hidden in the tiny "Filtered Search" option underneath the Search bar.

I didn't even know the option was there until literally 10 minutes ago. Before then, I thought the shop just couldn't browse games at all.

Blues1990

I'm kind of worried that Nintendo is going to bog down the Switch's user interface with a bunch of crap that will make it chug.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a good and snappy, if barebones, UI. The only thing I don't like is that when using touch you have to double tap icons. Once to select, once again to open. That's not how any other modern touch interface works, and it feels odd to me.

cyba89

It's hard for me to praise it for the snappiness when there is so little functionality compared to other consoles.

No folders, no system-wide voice chat or even text messanging system, no video recording or streaming options, no music player, no community features like Miiverse or the Playstation communities etc.

It's always possible it will become more sluggish when these features get added to the system later down the line.

Crazyorloco

I'm kind of worried that Nintendo is going to bog down the Switch's user interface with a bunch of crap that will make it chug.

From the sound of it, most gaf members are going to love the system when it gets all that crap.

I'm happy with how it is now if it helps with speed. I don't mind that mobile app if it will help with speed on the system. Allocate messaging/voice chat to the cell phone app to help keep the system running smoothly.

I don't like navigating on the Xbox one or the 3DS because it's slow.

Chopper

Don't know if it's offtopic since it still deals with the OS itself more than the UI.

But is there still no solution to the problem that the Switch always turns itself on when put into the dock or connected to a charger? It's fucking annoying, I turn it off from handheld mode and put it where it should rest and charge and it just turns itself back on... And now I have to turn the TV on to put it back off. I don't want it to sit in sleep mode all the time, I want it off.

Even more annoying: I have all my devices on a power outlet which I switch off at night and turn on in the morning. Guess what happens all the time when I do so: the Switch turns on.
That sounds very annoying. Does everyone have this problem?

Shin-Ra

I mean, it's basically just the Nintendo XMB* but sure, XMB praise is always good. I'm curious to see how it develops as more features are (hopefully) added.

* - I meant the PS4 UI, not the PS3 XMB
PS4’s interface is called the PDM - PlayStation Dynamic Menu

I still use base PS4 for certain games or parts of games and haven’t experienced this slowing of the PDM over time. The only part that’s slow, and always was, is online account management.

I remember the PS3 used to be quite fast, until a big system update with a brand new interface, then the whole system UI became super slow since then.
Brand new interface for PS3 (XMB) never happened.

Behlel

I don't think any of those were sacrificed for speed, we know thanks to development leaks that saves over the cloud are coming, that there is a full functioning browser in the OS and that video capturing is also coming. Media streaming isn't a console feature, it's a series of apps. That's like saying PS4 is lacking a basic console feature because Mario isn't on it. You can already download NicoNico if you want and more are coming soon. Even in the 1.0.0 update the Switch OS had a "disable sleep during media playback" option, meaning that streaming apps could've come at any time if those respective companies were up to it.
So why they moved every online feature to smartphone app?
The media streaming has become a basic feature since last gen, every device can stream Netflix, YouTube etc except the Switch.
And since those features aren't avaiable for the console the OS is still lacking them.
PS4 and xbox one have a lot more thing running in the background and built in the OS and those feature are moved on smartphone from Nintendo so having a party chat, an always on video recording, a trophy/achievement system etc isn't free in term of resources.

Devil

No, I just leave mine in sleep mode docked like a normal person.

Which means you have the same problem, thanks for the contribution.

There is a reason why there is the option between sleep mode and turning it off. Who are you to decide what a "normal person" choses out of these options? Does your PS4 automatically turn on when you turn on the power outlet?

There are good reasons why I want it to turn off (saving energy, potentially lengthenig the hardware's lifespan) and why the option exists but the way the Switch acts now when docked makes this option pretty useless and cumbersome. Don't act like it's not a design flaw and don't judge people for chosing a different option than you.

DigSCCP

Man sometimes I think WiiU was a good thing for Ninty.
After WiiU the expectations were so low that became easy to Nintendo get praises on some non sense things with Switch.
I mean guy is praising the screenshots of a system that cant even do it in native resolution lol

fernoca

Love the speed and the instant screenshots. Hopefully it stays as fast with the obvious updates that will add more stuff.

SuperPac

It's hard for me to praise it for the snappiness when there is so little functionality compared to other consoles.

No folders, no system-wide voice chat or even text messanging system, no video recording or streaming options, no music player, no community features like Miiverse or the Playstation communities etc.

It's always possible it will become more sluggish when these features get added to the system later down the line.

I would rather take the snappiness than have it be slowed down by adding any of the features you or others described in this thread that it is missing.

I like that it's fast but the only things I do on my Switch is look at the eshop for 30 seconds every 2 weeks and play Puyo Puyo Tetris so who knows it could be a shit show once I'm actually doing more with it.

Devil

Alright, not "normal" person but "intended way". Better? It's not a design flaw that you can't charge it while you have it docked because they didn't intend it to be that way.

What are you even talking about? Intended way? The Switch offers you the option to literally "turn off", it's by all means intended that way for people that want to turn it off, just as much as putting it in sleep mode.

It's not even about charging the thing. The dock is supposed to be a place to put the Switch while not in use. As I told you in my last paragraph, the same thing happens when it is docked all the time. Imagine I am done playing while it is already docked. I turn the machine off. I turn off my power outlet aaaaand the Switch turns on again. Same thing happens when I turn the outlet on in the morning. This completely defeats the purpose why Nintendo even gave me the option to turn it off in the first place.

My Vita doesn't turn on when plugged in it just charges, my smartphone can be turned off and plugged in without restarting to charge, none of my consoles or computers act that way either. Tell me a single reason why it would be intended to turn on when docked or just plugged into a charger when it has a button to do so whenever you want, please. It makes no sense and it's a design flaw I bet will see a patch in the future.

No, it charges, he's saying that he wants it to be charging while it's turned off and not in sleep mode.

It's not really about that though. As it is now I'll have to lay the Switch in fucking front of the dock or put it somewhere else if I don't want it to automatically turn on every time I switch the power outlet on or off.

Oh, okay. So it only turns itself on if it is "off", as opposed to in sleep mode, and you dock it?

Yes and it means that it is impossible to stay shut down when even just sitting in the dock, and while using a power outle with an on/off switch. It makes no sense and no single other hardware I own which have a sleep mode does that.

I saw people whine about there being no media apps in the OS after it was revealed and I could not realize why, then I saw a PS4 UI and realized those were built in there, which imo, is dumb.

The PS4 doesn't have media apps preinstalled as far as I know. The icons you see are just links to the store page to download the apps if you want them.

The PS4 doesn't have media apps preinstalled as far as I know. The icons you see are just links to the store page to download the apps if you want them.
True but they're still shit imo. If I don't want them then they shouldn't appear under my Video folder. I only use Youtube and Netflix but there's like 15 icons there...

It's a mess.

Devil

It turns on in handheld mode because it stops receiving power from the dock, which is actually what they intend in case of black outs or problems with the dock, they just didn't account for your specific set-up. Why not just put it in sleep mode when the dock isn't receiving power? It's only losing 2% over 8 hours.

Your explanation would make sense in cases where the Switch is docked and already TURNED ON and THEN loses power from the dock bc of blackouts etc. That's a good idea even. It makes no sense though to go from completely turned off to sleep mode because you plugged in a USB cable. It makes no sense to turn on in that instance.

My setup is not special in any way btw. Lots of people in Europe use power outlets with switches and the mere existence of the "turn off" option should be a hint, too. I just have the problem of both issues. It would also turn on if I wouldn't use such a power outlet which already defeats the purpose of the turn off option as well as partly the dock. The power outlet thing is just the cherry on top of that flaw.

I love my Switch, but this is the single biggest hardware/OS issue I have with it at the moment.

It's definitely the speediest UI for any console ever made.
I can put a game of Zelda on pause come back a week later and be instantly back where I was before, it's ridiculous how good that experience is and I've never had it before on console (taking into account what I've had on PS4 as well). And the overall speediness of the UI is impressive. I jut hope they can hold it up whilst they add new functionality over the years.

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
I'm really curious how much of the UI was taken from NVIDIA. It feels very un-Nintendo and such a positive leap forward from previous consoles.

I'm really curious how much of the UI was taken from NVIDIA. It feels very un-Nintendo and such a positive leap forward from previous consoles.

Literally nothing, it makes no sense to look at Nvidia for user interface inspiration. It's clear the Switch's interface does take cues from the likes of iOS (settings app, touch paradigms) and even the PS4's menu, and these interfaces are on market leading products. Though it must be noted that originally the NX OS was going to have two rows of wide icons to begin with.

Mentioning un-Nintendo doesn't make sense historically when you consider how the Wii channel and pointer interface was nothing like anything Nintendo had put out before, in an OS menu (DS, GameCube) or game or otherwise. Priorities and design paradigms change and Nintendo had adapted to go with them.

It still has that Nintendo charm, but not overbearingly so in an age where content comes before chrome and the Wii U and 3DS OSes were generally known to get in the way of what you're trying to do instead of help you along. There's still cool animations and stuff like how your taps on the screen play a different pitch sound effect depending on how much of your thumb covers the screen.

It's much more likely that the people working on designing the user interface adapted, changed, and learned new ways to make an interface that would work across three usage patterns and two displays.

Caelus

I really appreciate the inclusion of a dark theme on day 1.

I know people complain about the 720p menus but I really cannot notice it on my set, and if it ends up making snappier menus then I'm ok with it.

heringer

The Switch OS is an embarrasment. Being able to get in and play games fast shouldn’t be your baseline expectation of a dedicated gaming system in 2017, or even just a successor to the Wii U.

Where is messaging, save transfers, cloud save, folders, video capture (they did promise this), 1080p docked, themes...

Why is the Eshop still so terrible? Why no preloading?

This is not a system I want to use, It’s one I begrudgingly use because it has a few great games.

Fuck all those features if it means a slow ass UI. If they eventually add all those features and they indeed compromise the responsiveness of the UI, I hope they offer an option to keep the simple format for those who want it.

I do agree on the eShop, though.

Atheerios

Your explanation would make sense in cases where the Switch is docked and already TURNED ON and THEN loses power from the dock bc of blackouts etc. That's a good idea even. It makes no sense though to go from completely turned off to sleep mode because you plugged in a USB cable. It makes no sense to turn on in that instance.

My setup is not special in any way btw. Lots of people in Europe use power outlets with switches and the mere existence of the "turn off" option should be a hint, too. I just have the problem of both issues. It would also turn on if I wouldn't use such a power outlet which already defeats the purpose of the turn off option as well as partly the dock. The power outlet thing is just the cherry on top of that flaw.

I love my Switch, but this is the single biggest hardware/OS issue I have with it at the moment.

There probably won't ever be a solution for your "problem".

It's obvious that Nintendo doesn't want us to turn off the device. The fact that the turn off option is hidden away and sleep is so easily accessible means Nintendo intended the device to be put to sleep frequently, but not turned off.

This has the benefit for the user of always receiving the latest updates overnight and be ready to play quickly.

You don't turn off your phone or even tablet everyday. Nintendo wants you to do the same with the Switch.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
BTW, switch's dashboard is called Qlaunch, apparently for 'quick launch'. An apt name ; )

There probably won't ever be a solution for your "problem".

It's obvious that Nintendo doesn't want us to turn off the device. The fact that the turn off option is hidden away and sleep is so easily accessible means Nintendo intended the device to be put to sleep frequently, but not turned off.

This has the benefit for the user of always receiving the latest updates overnight and be ready to play quickly.

You don't turn off your phone or even tablet everyday. Nintendo wants you to do the same with the Switch.

VeeP

I love the dark theme. And I love that it's quick and fast, literally the opposite of the 3DS.

A few more options and apps would be nice to have, and hopefully it won't slow down the system.

Aurongel

It's ugly and a bit too 2010 in design but it's snappy and reliable in ways that the competing systems are not. It suits the mobile nature of the device and I'm glad their head is in the right place for what that device needs to be. Dark theme on day one is a pleasant surprise.

Qassim

Fuck all those features if it means a slow ass UI. If they eventually add all those features and they indeed compromise the responsiveness of the UI, I hope they offer an option to keep the simple format for those who want it.

I do agree on the eShop, though.

If those features slow down the UI, they've designed a bad system.

taoofjord

The sound effects for the Switch's UI are fucking brilliant. If you haven't paid attention to them yet, I highly recommend playing around in the UI to understand the logic of when certain sounds are triggered and how wonderfully they fit together. And they just sound so pleasing.

Top Bottom