• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Version Of Skylanders Imaginators Doesn't Support Traps Or Vehicles

As we all know, the concept behind Skylanders is that toys and items from older games are backwards-compatible with newer entries, which means that those who have invested a lot of money into building their collection don't feel short-changed when they have to buy the latest instalment.

However, according to the official Nintendo page for the Switch version of the game, it won't feature support for Traps (introduced in Skylanders Trap Team) or Vehicles (a large part of Skylanders Superchargers):

Skylanders Imaginators supports character toys from all previous Skylanders games -- including Skylanders SuperChargers, Skylanders Trap Team, Skylanders SWAP Force, Skylanders Giants and Skylanders Spyro's Adventure -- that kids can enjoy in the real-world and in the virtual game world. As players add new Skylanders to their collection, they expand their in-game experiences.
* Excludes Traps and vehicles, which are not playable in the Nintendo Switch version of the game.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/nintendo_switch_version_of_skylanders_imaginators_doesnt_support_traps_or_vehicles

RK128

This is confusing, considering you have a full-on racing mode in Imaginators that could use the various vehicles from SuperChargers. The base game let you use digital ones for all the race tracks in SuperChagers but does this mean every vehicle is unlocked from the start digitally?

fernoca

Why? Is there something special with these items?
Guess that because the trap and vehicles need to be on the base at all times along the character and this version doesn't need the base; as it uses the NFC on the controller.

Guess they could add options to save stuff you scanned like you could on 3DS, but guess that recquires a bit of work to get right.

RK128

Wait, I thought they were killing off Skylanders, or am I thinking of a different franchise?

It's rumored the series is dying and that 2017's Skylanders is scrapped. The TV series still has a second season coming on Netflix and this Switch port indicates plans for the series are still present despite 2017's game supposedly being cancelled.

Guess that because the trap and vehicles need to be on the base at all times along the character and this version doesn't need the base; as it uses the NFC on the controller.

Guess they could add options to save stuff you scanned like you could on 3DS, but guess that recquires a bit of work to get right.

Oh, they're actually using the controller NFC instead of a portal? That's actually neat and a decent reason for this issue.

djlr181

Why? Is there something special with these items?

The Switch version does not use a Skylanders portal and instead uses the system's NFC tech. Would have to assume the portals have some proprietary tech to recognize traps and vehicles.

jonno394

Makes sense due to the lack of a portal and the fact the items have to be on the portal during full gameplay (I think)

I am willing to lose what little extras the traps and vehicles brought with them for Skylanders Imaginators with a digital library

There's no base, it uses the NFC reader.
I am curious about the port, won't get it but it's interesting based off the rumors of the franchise dying and the fact they're using the NFC/amiibo reader instead of a base

fernoca

And we're done here. The Skylanders franchise has been milked dry, so why put any effort into a quick port?
They kinda put effort already by removing the USB base and allowing the use of the included NFC, something many asked for years.

Considering what the traps did, it is not a loss.

Now the vehicles are, since there is a racing mode, unless they included them already in the game.

If the vehicles are in the game, then it is not is big deal.

It's rumored the series is dying and that 2017's Skylanders is scrapped. The TV series still has a second season coming on Netflix and this Switch port indicates plans for the series are still present despite 2017's game supposedly being cancelled.

Its always possible the switch version was already ported to go along with the original plan of switch launching before xmas and has been sitting on a shelf

jonno394

no portals? nice.

No portal and a digital library which stores up to 300 Skylanders in your game/on your switch. I always found playing the game a bit of a chore as it meant having to dig out my figures etc and having them all a mess out on top of my coffee table, no issues now!

All that's going to be missed out on here is probably the racing levels from Superchargers as a multiplayer mode.

Seems really, really dumb.

The Trap thing is weird as while I don't have the game I always saw the new crystals as essentially just traps again including multiple physical variations of the same element.

Crystals:
List-Of-all-Creation-Crystals.png

Traps:
Skylanders%20Trap%20Team%20-Trap%20Check%20List-%20Rev%2011.png

Also means that the two Nintendo veichles

superchargers.jpg

Which were like 10% of unique vehicles already.

Hattori

Banned
No portal and a digital library which stores up to 300 Skylanders in your game/on your switch. I always found playing the game a bit of a chore as it meant having to dig out my figures etc and having them all a mess out on top of my coffee table, no issues now!

All that's going to be missed out on here is probably the racing levels from Superchargers as a multiplayer mode.
I'm not big on Skylanders but that little bit of info sounds great. I wish amiibo had a similar system

Top Bottom