• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo tradmarks "QOL" in Japan, for many kinds of products

Why is this in gaming side?

Everybody assumes that the centerpiece of the idea will be some attempt at melding heath and gaming. Nintendo's big differentiating factor over competitors in the field will be that game content. It's not as if they're about to found a home goods division out of nowhere that doesn't tie into gaming in any way.

lfAVBVU.jpg

Effect

Figure I ask this again. Can anything be taken away from trademarks being filed now? Are these usually done super early in the life of an idea or product or when something is about (in a few months to weeks) to be revealed?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Figure I ask this again. Can anything be taken away from trademarks being filed now? Are these usually done super early in the life of an idea or product or when something is about (in a few months to weeks) to be revealed?
I don't know much how trademark application processes work in Japan, but in the US there's a minimum of 4 months until a Notice of Allowance is given and normally a minimum of half a year until a trademark a registered. Normally it takes between 1-2 years until everything is as it should be.

As for what it means in terms of when this platform could be revealed, I'd say there's a good chance of them talking about it at E3 (maybe they are even demonstrating it to key partners at GDC right now).

I didn't understand what quality of life meant during Nintendo's investor briefing, and I don't understand what it means now. Just make a competitive game console for fucks sake.

Hey, people who know stuff about internal company timelines for developing things:

Based on this trademark thing, can we make any guesses about how long the QoL plans have been in the works for? Like, is this a long-term plan coming to fruition, or the result of a panicked decision made last fall, or something in-between?

Vibranium

Banned
Peach brush

Mario mustache gel

I would seriously buy that, it would be badass. The "feel" of being a plumber :p

Anyways, I get that Nintendo's focusing on expanding their revenue sources through QOL but I hope they also have a good plan in place for their next platforms too. I am interested in seeing what they come up with though.

They said that QoL and their home consoles will be separate entities.

I know, I know. I'm just making fun really. It still frustrates me that the real issue seems to escape Nintendo, when everyone else can see it so clearly; we want Nintendo to be unique, but at the same time, they need to try and outdo competitors at their own game too. I think they are more than capable of finding a middle ground here. I do love my Wii U though. I just wish more people would give it a fairer shake.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah...as said by many others, this is standard practice. So...I don't thinmk we're going to see QOL condoms (even if...that would be great in a random way), let's just say that. However, this is a hint to the fact that QOL could even be the name of the product, after all.

Oersted

I know, I know. I'm just making fun really. It still frustrates me that the real issue seems to escape Nintendo, when everyone else can see it so clearly; we want Nintendo to be unique, but at the same time, they need to try and outdo competitors at their own game too. I think they are more than capable of finding a middle ground here. I do love my Wii U though. I just wish more people would give it a fairer shake.

They want the Qol money for their main market.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah...as said by many others, this is standard practice. So...I don't thinmk we're going to see QOL condoms (even if...that would be great in a random way), let's just say that. However, this is a hint to the fact that QOL could even be the name of the product, after all.
Could certainly be. They haven't got much competition regarding this either, only two trademarks registered currently (one in the US, other in EU) and the G&S for those seem totally unrelated. Should be a cakewalk to get this, though I can definitely see the USPTO attorneys wanting clarification on a bunch of these goods and services, at least if Nintendo aims to have it as elaborate in the US as in Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I still have no idea what a non wearable is.

We are all clueless, seriously. It could be crazily inventive, or crazily backwards. Even at the same time, knowing Nintendo.

I hope someone will open a thread about what we think it'll be...I'm sure one of us will come close to the real thing.

Hopefully for Nintendo, not what someone said while trolling hard with the stupidiest idea ever...but that's a possibility as well :lol

If this turns out to be the second coming of wii fit income-wise, that would be absolutelly amazing. It would potentially subsidize conventional or niche games. Even if I love my WiiU, I'm not gonna pretend the games on this thing are mainstream.

L~A

What is non-wearable? Pretty easy : something you don't wear (thank you, Captain Obvious!). It can be anything, really. Game consoles, smartphones, computer, the Wii Fit Board are all non-wearable devices.

If this turns out to be the second coming of wii fit income-wise, that would be absolutelly amazing. It would potentially subsidize conventional or niche games. Even if I love my WiiU, I'm not gonna pretend the games on this thing are mainstream.

To me, that's a good thing. It would be nice to have one system that could be home to all types though.

What is non-wearable? Pretty easy : something you don't wear (thank you, Captain Obvious!). It can be anything, really. Game consoles, smartphones, computer, the Wii Fit Board are all non-wearable devices.

According to Nintendo, it isn't a game console. My guess it may be something that clings to your pocket. Otherwise, I cannot imagine what it could be.

Even a Kinect-like camera, though that seems like it'd be way to easy for someone to duplicate, so probably not

Effect

You think Nintendo will show this stuff at E3 even though it's supposedly not suppose to be about games?

That's even if the part of it not being about games and the console business would remain separate is even truthful. It just as easily couldn't have been (companies lie and mislead) and the excuse being they "changed their minds later". After all to say it was, even in part, would have been to place an even darker cloud over the Wii U and possibly the 3DS. That's a front where they're trying to minimize their losses as far as the Wii U is concerned. At least for the time being.

I'm all for Nintendo doing their own thing and separating itself from the competition, but they are in serious need of reconciling their ambitions with the realities of today's technology and market. They're chasing unicorns when they should be chasing the rabbit.

To me, that's a good thing. It would be nice to have one system that could be home to all types though.

Yeah, but that's why a successful QoL system could be an amazing thing too. Producing games with limited appeal at a loss isn't exactly sustainable. Balancing inventiveness with mainstream appeal is a difficult science to pull off that would probably be 50/50 at best even if Nintendo was actually currently trying to do so instead of pouring their heart and soul into unabashedly niche products while half-assing the mainstream ones. A health and fitness cash cow would provide them with the funding to continue experimenting with conventional games til they find big hits there.

I am bracing for a train wreck. I am not their target audience, and I want Nintendo to succeed as a company, but this new direction saddens me.

Top Bottom