• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo warned that no new hardware will release this fiscal year (March 2024).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn, gonna be a long wait to play TotK for me. Don't have my original Switch anymore for reasons, and I'm not buying an OLED (which would be the one I'd get if anything) just for this game, the price of that thing is unacceptably high in 2023.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just make it the best step up it can be. If that means 2025 and its a banger over the current model. Do it!

I'm there day one no matter what!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No shit. Use TOTK to push Switches on anyone left who doesn't own one and has been waiting for a "more complete library".

Still on track to top DS as the 2nd best selling gaming hardware of all time. No point stopping yet.

No shit. Use TOTK to push Switches on anyone left who doesn't own one and has been waiting for a "more complete library".

Still on track to top DS as the 2nd best selling gaming hardware of all time. No point stopping yet.

I wonder if Sony launched a PS5 Portable whether people would be as fast to merge its sales with the non-portable version.

I think Sony needs to take a hard look at a PS5-inspired Steam Deck, I'm sure AMD would relish the opportunity.

I can't wait to see what software they have left to bridge the gap. This is the one area Nintendo struggles with. It could be a very dry year and run up to the next hardware.

They don't care. Switch 2 has an extremely high-risk profile associated with it. A lot of people aren't going to upgrade just for better graphics. Some people have a Switch just for Fortnite or just for Mario Kart.

Nintendo has struggled with getting people to upgrade from their most successful devices and they're acutely aware of that. It's the nature of their casual audience.

TrebleShot

LOL these guys are taking the piss, this is what happens when a console is too successful, just wait, Sony will do the same with PS5.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I wonder if Sony launched a PS5 Portable whether people would be as fast to merge its sales with the non-portable version.

I think Sony needs to take a hard look at a PS5-inspired Steam Deck, I'm sure AMD would relish the opportunity.

If it was a handheld that played PS5 games natively..? Sure, but that's not happening, in fact no dedicated Sony handheld is, same for MS. Not their current strategy at all. Sony has remote play and Microsoft has XCloud.

ParaSeoul

people are going to disappointed when they launch in 2024/2025 with 2020 hardware to make profit from day 1

The switch has components of TV box of 2015
Mobile hardware from 2020 can't even match xbox one performance
They won't be disappointed,anyone still buying Nintendo products at this point arr already too far gone and will just praise anything they put out.

If it was a handheld that played PS5 games natively..? Sure, but that's not happening, in fact no dedicated Sony handheld is, same for MS. Not their current strategy at all. Sony has remote play and Microsoft has XCloud.

Remote Play isn't equivalent to cloud streaming. Sony has both Cloud and Remote Play and I think a Sony handheld could do both as well, but it should play games natively. There is no reason why a Sony handheld couldn't play PS5 games natively at reduced resolution. The Steam Deck proves that. You can literally play ports of PS5 games on the Steam Deck on medium settings (PC Ports)

H4ze

Meh, too late, not going to buy any new games for the Switch, can't play with that eye cancer inducing IQ anymore.

AV

Remote Play isn't equivalent to cloud streaming. Sony has both Cloud and Remote Play and I think a Sony handheld could do both as well, but it should play games natively. There is no reason why a Sony handheld couldn't play PS5 games natively at reduced resolution. The Steam Deck proves that. You can literally play ports of PS5 games on the Steam Deck on medium settings (PC Ports)

I know. And that's a hell of a lot of "coulds" that won't happen because if they do "proper cloud" they'll do it on phones. Not saying it's impossible for them to pull off, just that they won't, the market speaks for itself right now and Nintendo has the dedicated handheld space absolutely sewn up. Steam Deck is awesome but it's quite literally just a PC with a screen and a nice wrapper that offers people access to libraries they've had for 20 years. Sony won't even put that libraries on current consoles, never mind a new handheld.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I can't wait to see what software they have left to bridge the gap. This is the one area Nintendo struggles with. It could be a very dry year and run up to the next hardware.

End life of Wii U was rough. That is one thing I think Nintendo really failed to deliver on this gen. Their promise of merging portable and home game developement, essentially removing 3DS and Wii U development into one streamline system and process. I think eveyone assumed this would result in more games or at least a similar amount of games as 2 systems.

I know. And that's a hell of a lot of "coulds" that won't happen because if they do "proper cloud" they'll do it on phones. Not saying it's impossible for them to pull off, just that they won't, the market speaks for itself right now and Nintendo has the dedicated handheld space absolutely sewn up. Steam Deck is awesome but it's quite literally just a PC with a screen and a nice wrapper that offers people access to libraries they've had for 20 years. Sony won't even put that libraries on current consoles, never mind a new handheld.

Nintendo had the handheld space sewn up before the PSP and then the PSP sold 80 million units. Sony had the console market sewn up and then the Xbox 360 sold like 85 million units.

The idea that competition is impossible doesn't really add up.

Sony can leverage what they're doing well to do well with a handheld and the Steam Deck really proves that it is technically possible. You just need to have games optimized for the Sony handheld. Nothing preventing Sony from opening up their catalog for a handheld or the PS5. I just don't think that carries weight. The PS4 and PS5, not to mention Vita and PSP titles would make a Sony handheld worth while.

Tams

people are going to disappointed when they launch in 2024/2025 with 2020 hardware to make profit from day 1

The switch has components of TV box of 2015
Mobile hardware from 2020 can't even match xbox one performance

Disingenuous.

That was a very powerful TV box for the time, not some ultra low power MIPS DVR.

GPU wise, it was the best for its time. And in the mobile segment that has advanced very quickly.

Also, compare the size of the Switch and the x86 handhelds. The latter are chunky bois.

It's almost like more power requires more space or something...

Last edited:

Tsaki

So it is not coming before April 2024. It is probably also not coming in the Spring at all, otherwise they would mention calendar year, instead of FY. It would be stupid to release it in May and be like "Well technically we didn't lie. We just released it one or two months later". Fall 2024 it is then. Really can't see them let it slip to 2025.

nush

End life of Wii U was rough.

I was going to disagree, then I remembered the real end Mario Tennis, Animal crossing board game they were after the fantastic Mario Maker.

End of life Nintendo consoles, they release some stuff that makes you think "When/how/why did this come out now?"

AV

Nintendo had the handheld space sewn up before the PSP and then the PSP sold 80 million units. Sony had the console market sewn up and then the Xbox 360 sold like 85 million units.

The idea that competition is impossible doesn't really add up.

Sony can leverage what they're doing well to do well with a handheld and the Steam Deck really proves that it is technically possible. You just need to have games optimized for the Sony handheld. Nothing preventing Sony from opening up their catalog for a handheld or the PS5. I just don't think that carries weight. The PS4 and PS5, not to mention Vita and PSP titles would make a Sony handheld worth while.

And then they released the Vita, and it was an absolute clunker with no support. PSP did really well in 2005, sure, before the iPhone even existed, and also off the back of it being super easy to crack wide open. Sony has never once had the console market sewn up in the same way, they just do very, very well in it. Nintendo were already there doing their own thing.

Again, you're arguing that I'm saying it's impossible, I'm not. I'm saying that they're not going to do it because it's just not worth the time and effort, the market isn't there in 2024+. The only place to play Nintendo games legitimately is their hybrid, that wouldn't be true for Playstation, especially in a world where they're barely past releasing new games on their own 2013 hardware. The 40,000,000 people who want to play Animal Crossing in bed or on the couch largely aren't the same people who want to play the Demon's Souls remake at 4k60 on a significantly bigger and more expensive handheld when they likely already own a PS5 anyway.

RAIDEN1

You can clearly see it a mile away what the gaming landscape will be like by the time Switch 2 comes out, it will be in the company of the Playstation 5 Pros and possibly who knows the Series X 1.5

And then they released the Vita, and it was an absolute clunker with no support. PSP did really well in 2005, sure, before the iPhone even existed, and also off the back of it being super easy to crack wide open. Sony has never once had the console market sewn up in the same way, they just do very, very well in it. Nintendo were already there doing their own thing.

Again, you're arguing that I'm saying it's impossible, I'm not. I'm saying that they're not going to do it because it's just not worth the time and effort, the market isn't there in 2024+. The only place to play Nintendo games legitimately is their hybrid, that wouldn't be true for Playstation, especially in a world where they're barely past releasing new games on their own 2013 hardware. The 40,000,000 people who want to play Animal Crossing in bed or on the couch largely aren't the same people who want to play the Demon's Souls remake at 4k60 on a significantly bigger and more expensive handheld when they likely already own a PS5 anyway.
Right, think about the first thing you said. It didn't have dedicated support.

A PS5 Portable wouldn't need its own dedicated support.

I really think you don't recognize how dominant the PS2 was... It's literally the best selling console of all time for a reason... It was absolutely sewn up with ACTUAL competition.

There are people not buying PS5s in Japan because they want to play on the go. Switch and mobile prove that. There's a market to be had here for the option to take your PS5 on the road. And the Asus ROG proves that you can get the tech there.

PSP proves that there was a market for people wanting to play the Demon's Souls remake type games, but this would be closer to the actual thing.

Even if this only sold 30-40 million units, it would certainly help Sony capture an additional market that they're not currently capturing.

supernova8

Banned
I'd be stunned if the next system is more powerful than a PS5. I think you're looking at the equivalent of an XSS at best.
Would be amazing if Nintendo decided to go with one of those new AMD Z1 chips but I suppose (1) their relationship with Nvidia is still intact and (2) pricing for Z1 chip-based products suggests they are out of Nintendo's price range. I'd be surprised if the next console was even PS4-level power (which would still be like what... double triple the flip-flops of the Switch's Tegra?). Let's not forget that Switch can barely do 720p with Zelda BOTW and even then it struggled to hit 30fps before the patches.

Last edited:

AV

Right, think about the first thing you said. It didn't have dedicated support.

A PS5 Portable wouldn't need its own dedicated support.

I really think you don't recognize how dominant the PS2 was... It's literally the best selling console of all time for a reason... It was absolutely sewn up with ACTUAL competition.

There are people not buying PS5s in Japan because they want to play on the go. Switch and mobile prove that. There's a market to be had here for the option to take your PS5 on the road. And the Asus ROG proves that you can get the tech there.

PSP proves that there was a market for people wanting to play the Demon's Souls remake type games, but this would be closer to the actual thing.

Even if this only sold 30-40 million units, it would certainly help Sony capture an additional market that they're not currently capturing.

A PS5 portable would also mean that everything Sony releases has to be tailored to also run acceptably on that system. That isn't the same thing as "well, PS5 ports run alright on Deck" which is a happy accident for them, it would still need supporting even if it doesn't have exclusives. They're never going to be able to match the price of the Switch anywhere in the world, obviously, because of the hardware differential. Don't forget that Gabe himself said the Deck is sold at a "painful" price point for them as a long-term strategy to muscle in.

PSP proves there was a market in 2005. That was 18 years ago and again, before the iPhone even existed. Sony wouldn't get close to 30-40m shipped on something like this and it's precisely why you haven't seen one and will continue to not see one. I've had this same conversation a few times a year on this board for 5 years and the needle hasn't moved an inch. Possible, yes, always, but not happening.

Would be amazing if Nintendo decided to go with one of those new AMD Z1 chips but I suppose (1) their relationship with Nvidia is still intact and (2) pricing for Z1 chip-based products suggests they are out of Nintendo's price range. I'd be surprised if the next console was even PS4-level power (which would still be like what... double triple the flip-flops of the Switch's Tegra?). Let's not forget that Switch can barely do 720p with Zelda BOTW and even then it struggled to hit 30fps before the patches.

I think a Sony handheld running a Z1 would be the absolute perfect choice, combined with their own NVME SSD.

Sony would be foolish to ignore the Z1 and how that could expand its market reach.

Majukun

Why make new Hardware when current Hardware is selling like hotcakes?

Although i have not checked recent sales figures

Tams

So it is not coming before April 2024. It is probably also not coming in the Spring at all, otherwise they would mention calendar year, instead of FY. It would be stupid to release it in May and be like "Well technically we didn't lie. We just released it one or two months later". Fall 2024 it is then. Really can't see them let it slip to 2025.

The Japanese fiscal year ends in March.

Companies in Japan use the fiscal year dates according to where their global headquarters are. So Nintendo obviously follow the Japanese government dates linked above.

If they release it in April or May, so they legally have to say it won't release this fiscal year/it would release next fiscal year.

This isn't some 'look, we technically did not lie' playground nonsense. It's legal requirements. If they don't, then investors would start suing and the tax authorities might get involved.

Last edited:
A PS5 portable would also mean that everything Sony releases has to be tailored to also run acceptably on that system. That isn't the same thing as "well, PS5 ports run alright on Deck" which is a happy accident for them, it would still need supporting even if it doesn't have exclusives. They're never going to be able to match the price of the Switch anywhere in the world, obviously, because of the hardware differential. Don't forget that Gabe himself said the Deck is sold at a "painful" price point for them as a long-term strategy to muscle in.

PSP proves there was a market in 2005. That was 18 years ago and again, before the iPhone even existed. Sony wouldn't get close to 30-40m shipped on something like this and it's precisely why you haven't seen one and will continue to not see one. I've had this same conversation a few times a year on this board for 5 years and the needle hasn't moved an inch. Possible, yes, always, but not happening.

Sony doesn't need to match the price of the Switch and the Z1 rather than the say the Van Gogh would absolutely get you closer to running native PS5 games without much optimization being needed.

The 399 steam deck is the pain price for them, they also don't have the economies of scale that Sony have and their royalties are smaller than Sony's.

LOL... we haven't seen one because it wouldn't be profitable. That's like saying we haven't seen a handheld/console hybrid because it wouldn't be profitable until the Switch did it. Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or that that's some evidence that the market isn't there for it.

The Z1 is a game changer for Sony.

Top Bottom