• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Web Framework (HTML5, Javascript, CSS dev support) announced for the Wii U

serplux

NWF_logo_RGB_fix.png

From Nintendo's GDC website:

The Nintendo Web Framework is a development environment based on WebKit technologies, supporting application development on the Wii U system using HTML5, JavaScript, and CSS. It also supports the Wii U GamePad controller, Wii Remote controllers, and JavaScript extensions such as video playback. With the Nintendo Web Framework, development times will be reduced and Wii U applications can be easily developed using common Web technologies. Combining the handy Wii U GamePad, the TV screen, and the Internet, the potential exists for the services and games you are developing to progress by leaps and bounds.

BGZS7TfCYAAzQ5_.jpg:small

A couple of tweets:

https://twitter.com/Duckols/status/317035928378019840
It looks really slick, and the editing tools have a publish button that sends the build right to Nintendo for approval

https://twitter.com/GameplayDev/status/317035939446808576
Nintendo's Wii U Web Framework talk was very interesting. HTML5/JavaScript applications can be easily created for/ported to Wii U.

https://twitter.com/pkollar/status/317044964787900417
Yeah, presentation focused on apps at first but then confirmed they want it to work for games as well.

https://twitter.com/DatBoiDrew/status/317052084220489729
Super Ubi Land is a HTML5 based game so this announcement of Nintendo Web Framework is amazing! Things should be a lot easier for porting...

Seems like you can port iOS games with the push of a finger using this free software:

WgcYCv9.png

Note: The conversion is actually done through Intel, not Nintendo.

Nintendo put up a form for any developers interested in doing Wii U development with Unity, Javascript, or HTML5.

https://gdc2013.nintendo.com/sign_up.php

They'll contact you after GDC is over.

You can choose whether to make free, commercial, or web applications (or games) for Wii U.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I imagine Construct 2 and Stencyl will be getting a little more business with this announcement.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That sounds like an awesome set of tools. Wow, really blown away that this is coming from Nintendo!

Oddduck

I would guess that the people who would benefit the most from Wii U supporting HTML5 is anyone who is making games in Construct 2 engine.

Keyouta

Sounds cool, it's nice a simple and easy to use system has been put in place. Very good turnaround from Wiiware and the like.

Interesting, it also opens the WiiU up for frameworks that can compile to javascript/HTML5 for multiplatform titles. For example, I think GameMaker stuff can go straight to HTML5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty damn cool, but I doubt this will gain much ground, much like browser-based gaming on PCs already.

If they had some sort of dedicated portal for this stuff, that might help.

If they only had a non-approved-dev submission pathway and store, I'm sure they'd get a lot of applications and smaller games that take advantage of this. Stuff like Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, Aviary, 3DTin, GrooveShark, even Angry Birds - it all exists in some HTML form.

Maztorre

Haha holy fuck, developers can now pretty trivially port their entire iOS lineup over for the GamePad.

EDIT:

If they only had a non-approved-dev submission pathway and store, I'm sure they'd get a lot of applications and smaller games that take advantage of this. Stuff like Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, Aviary, 3DTin, GrooveShark, even Angry Birds - it all exists in some HTML form.

Yeah, the only barriers left for release are ones imposed by Nintendo once this comes online. Would definitely make the eShop way more active than probably any other console storefront, the number of potential releases (even if filtered by Nintendo) would dwarf the relative trickle of content that comes out of XBLA/PSN.

VinLAURiA

Banned
Hot damn. Nintendo's seriously pulling out the big guns for indie support. I already knew about how they made eShop development easier, but this kinda stuff is fantastic.

Have we ever seen stuff like this on 360 or PS3, by any chance?

That's really cool, but developers will still need to account for the different touch screen types... if an app requires multi-touch, they'll need to adjust for that. Otherwise, this should greatly increase the Wii U app count, which in turn will be a good selling point for the system.

I wonder what the breakdown is - java, flash, html5, javascript.

MrT-Tar

I knew Nintendo was keen about attracting this tier of developers, but I really didn't expect .

Say what you will about Nintendo and their online strategy, but I'm actually really impressed by what they are doing as of late regarding indies (and that is something I really couldn't have predicted saying last generation).

Top Bottom