• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#NintendoRegionFree 2014 STARTS NOW!

I did play Super Mario 64 on a Japanese N64 before it was released in the states. This was years before I took Japanese in college. I didn't know jack of what I was doing, but I was able to dink around in the courtyard and stumble into a world and mess around.

I guess to play devil's advocate a bit, Nintendo is very aware of each region's experience with a given game and allowing region-free gaming could open up some unintended consequences.

1. Someone returns Japanese-version of game to local "gamestop" type store. Kid buys that version and it becomes a problem for the store now. Maybe that is a problem resolved today, but I could see region mixing being a problem.

2. Let's say Tomodachi Life was available here (or let's go in the way back machine and do Pokemon). The potential for a game from region A ruining the experience of that game for people of region B is a real thing. If the American public was exposed to Pokemon or Tomodachi Life prematurely, it could have harmed the experience if Nintendo wanted to bring it to America with differences.

Cultures are different between the regions and I see an argument for region-locking as not spoiling a game experience by accidental exposure. The truth is though that people who are able to cross the cultural boundaries can in fact do that - by buying a separate console. I think the risks of cultural contamination are too strong to allow it. There may also be other business-related and boring factors at play here, but that is just my thinking on the subject.

Assuming the campaign can avoid the normal route of bashing and stay on a positive tone, I will throw in my support

You'll notice that there's no talk of boycotts or harassment of customer service or other employees. That's intentional. This should be a civil, yet firm request. I own both a Japanese Wii U and a Japanese 3DS, and would very much like to buy more games for them from North America. My personal intention is for both Nintendo and gamers to benefit by going region-free. Win-win.

peakish

I did play Super Mario 64 on a Japanese N64 before it was released in the states. This was years before I took Japanese in college. I didn't know jack of what I was doing, but I was able to dink around in the courtyard and stumble into a world and mess around.

I guess to play devil's advocate a bit, Nintendo is very aware of each region's experience with a given game and allowing region-free gaming could open up some unintended consequences.

1. Someone returns Japanese-version of game to local "gamestop" type store. Kid buys that version and it becomes a problem for the store now. Maybe that is a problem resolved today, but I could see region mixing being a problem.

2. Let's say Tomodachi Life was available here (or let's go in the way back machine and do Pokemon). The potential for a game from region A ruining the experience of that game for people of region B is a real thing. If the American public was exposed to Pokemon or Tomodachi Life prematurely, it could have harmed the experience if Nintendo wanted to bring it to America with differences.

Cultures are different between the regions and I see an argument for region-locking as not spoiling a game experience by accidental exposure. The truth is though that people who are able to cross the cultural boundaries can in fact do that - by buying a separate console. I think the risks of cultural contamination are too strong to allow it. There may also be other business-related and boring factors at play here, but that is just my thinking on the subject.
So it's a "niche problem" yet big enough to ruin important presentation plans and risk dangerous "cultural contamination."

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I can kinda see your angle here, but think it's a bit patronizing. The world is more globalized now than it was before and people move across borders with greater ease. Ultimately, I understand the perceived need for tailored experiences for different markets, but people should be able to freely pick which flavor they want in those cases. Australians preferring the US version of Tomodachi Life versus the PAL edition is one case where people want to freely choose and displays a bit of a cultural mismatch dictated by the way the region system is coded.

MilkybKid

Neo Member
You'll notice that there's no talk of boycotts or harassment of customer service or other employees. That's intentional. This should be a civil, yet firm request. I own both a Japanese Wii U and a Japanese 3DS, and would very much like to buy more games for them from North America. My personal intention is for both Nintendo and gamers to benefit by going region-free. Win-win.

Yep I agree, staying civil and firm is the best and I hope that's what everyone does (there will always be a few outliers, its the nature of the universe) . I do a podcast with mates and will probably bring this up when we record it to inform the 4 or so people that actually listen to it :p (every little helps right? at least that's what I tell my... no that's a bad joke)

Just hoping it doesn't get silly but I fear that it will because human nature :(

Yep I agree, staying civil and firm is the best and I hope that's what everyone does (there will always be a few outliers, its the nature of the universe) . I do a podcast with mates and will probably bring this up when we record it to inform the 4 or so people that actually listen to it :p (every little helps right? at least that's what I tell... no that's a bad joke)

Just hoping it doesn't get silly but I fear that it will because human nature :(

Every little bit helps, thanks! Please be sure to post a link in this thread.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts on region-lock are...complicated. For the record, I am not a fan of region-locking and am in no way trying to defend it. Even though it wouldn't really affect me personally (I'm not gonna import a game in a language I can't read, anyway), I agree that having that option is a good thing.

However...I worry what it would mean for localization. I realize that many people dislike region-lock because they would like to play a lot of the niche Japanese games that don't get localized in other regions, for example...but I fear that, with a region-free system, there will be less reason for publishers to localize their niche games like that.

We're living in an age where people basically advertise many of the games they play be it through forum posts, social media statuses, Youtube Let's Plays or whatever. Having a few hardcore people deliver word of mouth for niche things no one has heard of can be a massive plus and can signal to publishers that this game people are raving about might be a good candidate to pick up and localize. Danganronpa's a good example of a game where people talking about a niche ass game and a dedicated community basically doing the localization themselves created a pre-built dedicated crowd for that game that then went on to hype the game further when an official localization was announced.

There were tons of region free consoles before and these problems simply don't exist.
1. Stores can just not accept imports. That's the case in some EU countries when it comes to UK imports. solved
2. Region free consoles don't mean that foreign imports suddenly are sold at GameStop and you just stumple upon them. You have to actively seek them out because you want to have it.

If the American public was exposed to Pokemon or Tomodachi Life prematurely, it could have harmed the experience if Nintendo wanted to bring it to America with differences.

I think the risks of cultural contamination are too strong to allow it.
Really, no. That is not a real thing.

"Cultural contamination"? All major cultures are constantly exchanging pop-culture in much larger and much more significant ways than any single video game could ever manage -- and yet America and continental Europe and Japan, etc. all still remain different and unique. The world is globalised now, everyone can and does consume media of all types from all over the world. A tiny percentage of video games coming from *gasp* somewhere else will have no measurable impact on anything, except of course for a significant benefit to the dedicated players who care enough to take advantage of importing.

Not to mention that all PlayStation products have been region-free for years now, and we've yet to see any 'cultural contamination'.

But hey, what do I know, I'm biased because I've been living outside of my home country for eleven years and am married to someone from a different continent. So I guess we're 'cultural contaminants' too, huh? Your desire for a homogenized society trumps my wife's desire to play games in her native language I presume?

Region-locking is anti-consumer, it is pointless, and it actively screws over gamers who happen to be migrants. Nintendo needs to stop it, and stop it now, as Sony and Microsoft have already done.

SoldnerKei

I have thought about buy an european 3ds for their games, since most are localized in spanish... at least pokemon X was in america... so, having an option to buy a game from whenever I want is pretty good, I do it for ps3 games, mostly fighters because I don't need to understand them, now for games I wish they had been localized one is Endless Frontier sequel, at least they brought the first ; -; being able to actually buy that game and play it on my 3ds would be awesome

So if all excuses are bullshit, what is the reason for region-locking existing in the first place? Seems like things exist for a reason - even if those reasons are ultimately bullshit.

Terra_Ex

So if all excuses are bullshit, what is the reason for region-locking existing in the first place? Seems like things exist for a reason - even if those reasons are ultimately bullshit.
Greed on the side of the company and complacency on the side of some customers.

Baleoce

In general I'm in favour of region free gaming. But, with Nintendo and others now approaching the Chinese market, would this not make it incredibly difficult? They've already said that they'd have to offer their content to the Chinese market at a "suitable" price (I'm assuming that means cheaper). So what would be stopping people from importing stock from China instead for considerably cheaper if there was no region locking?

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, apologies if so.

In general I'm in favour of region free gaming. But, with Nintendo and others now approaching the Chinese market, would this not make it incredibly difficult? They've already said that they'd have to offer their content to the Chinese market at a "suitable" price (I'm assuming that means cheaper). So what would be stopping people from importing stock from China instead for considerably cheaper if there was no region locking?

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, apologies if so.

Language barrier is enough of a wall without adding region-locking. Hypothetically, would you rather pay $60 for a game in English or $30 for the same game in Chinese?

If all systems go region-free, quick! Fire all the translators and never release a Japanese game in English again!

That's just not realistic. Localizations are not dependent upon region-locking.

I fully support this movement, but I do vaguely remember a publisher saying they wouldn't release a game in the west because everyone that wanted it already imported and it wouldn't make sense from a business perspective (not to say region-locking would have helped or anything). I'm 85% sure I didn't dream that up.

That or these magnificent creatures
264098-wow.jpg
Oh my gosh, I need that orange one in my life! =O

You guys can count me in!

Baleoce

I fully support this movement, but I do vaguely remember a publisher saying they wouldn't release a game in the west because everyone that wanted it already imported and it wouldn't make sense from a business perspective (not to say region-locking would have helped or anything). I'm 85% sure I didn't dream that up.

I remember Persona 4 Arena had dual audio options or something. So the combination of that, and it being a fighting game meant they had to specifically region lock that game, which wasn't typical on the PS3 (I think I'm remembering that right, feel free to correct me)

Even if that is true (citation needed), the great thing about globalization and region-free systems is that they encourage timely localizations, which is better for everybody. Have a little confidence in your products. Take the wait-and-see approach and get left behind. At least with region-free systems, the demand can still be served and the sales get made.

Even if that is true (citation needed), the great thing about globalization and region-free systems is that they encourage timely localizations, which is better for everybody. Have a little confidence in your products. Take the wait-and-see approach and get left behind. At least with region-free systems, the demand can still be served and the sales get made.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. It would be the fault of the publisher for seeing things that way, not the consumer for importing. I'm just using it as an example for the other side of the argument. As misguided as it is, publishers do some shitty things, whether they're just an excuse or not.

Storm360

There were tons of region free consoles before and these problems simply don't exist.
1. Stores can just not accept imports. That's the case in some EU countries when it comes to UK imports. solved
2. Region free consoles don't mean that foreign imports suddenly are sold at GameStop and you just stumple upon them. You have to actively seek them out because you want to have it.

This, the PS3 has been region free for it's entire life span, and the only imports i've seen being accepted are ones that feature full english. If I took a Japanese game down to any store here, they'd reject it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
While I'm definitely part of the "region locking is the worst" crowd, since I'm European, Nintendo rarely listens to its consumers. Shame really.

They listen to their customers about as often as any of the others do. But they rarely directy respond to anything, which can make it incredibly frustrating.

antibolo

Banned

1. But Sony already has no region locking and it has caused no such problem.

2. But Sony already has no region locking and it has caused no such problem.

3. But Sony already has no region locking and it has caused no such problem.

Any argument against region free can be countered with "But Sony already has no region locking and it has caused no such problem".

Why do people keep trying? Just stop. Any argument against Nintendo removing their region locking is invalid since THE COMPETITION IS ALREADY DOING IT FOR YEARS NOW.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Any argument against region free can be countered with "But Sony already has no region locking and it has caused no such problem".

Why do people keep trying? Just stop. Any argument against Nintendo removing their region locking is invalid since THE COMPETITION IS ALREADY DOING IT FOR YEARS NOW.

Nintendo was doing it for ages as well with their handhelds. Importing Pokemon Gold as a kid almost a year before the rest of Europe got it was mind blowing to me. Region free handhelds were the status quo.

gngf123

This:

They do it to enforce price discrimination.

The idea is without it, people would just import the cheaper copy of the game.

International companies have no problems moving around to whatever market it is cheapest to set up in and get people hired - the global market allows them to do that. It is not in their interest to allow consumers to do something similar. It is in their interest to restrict each market so they can individually charge what they think each market is willing to pay.

Don't forget every single Nintendo handheld before the DSi. There is a huge amount of prior data to fall back on.

Nintendo has nothing to gain from being region free.

.. Except the slippery slope from region free accessories to pirating games.
I suppose they should really take that seriously.

thefro

Does Sony own all its distributors in other countries?

Nintendo definitely doesn't in a lot of markets. Depending on how the contracts structured the company who has the rights to distribute Nintendo's products in Sweden might balk at the systems being region-free, for instance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does Sony own all its distributors in other countries?

Nintendo definitely doesn't in a lot of markets. Depending on how the contracts structured the company who has the rights to distribute Nintendo's products in Sweden might balk at the systems being region-free, for instance.

Why didn't they with past hardware that was not region-locked?

geordiemp

Some companies take longer than others to realize the world has changed...

The are stuck in the 90's

Sometimes I feel sorry for Nintendo, sometimes I think they get the sales they deserve..

antibolo

Banned

The only reason region locking exists is so overpriced markets can continue to overprice their games without having to compete with cheaper markets.

Everything else is a made up excuse.

Persona 4 Arena was region locked because the NA and Japanese versions of the game were 100% identical (both are fully bilingual) and released only two weeks from each other. As a result there was a high chance that Japanese consumers would import the cheaper NA version, so Atlus somehow convinced Sony to allow them to region lock it.

Interestingly on the Xbox 360, most region locked games are Japanese. This is the same reasoning, Japanese companies don't want their domestic market consumers to import NA games because they are cheaper. Western companies tend to care less because most of their sales are in North America, which is typically the cheapest market. In Japan the 360 is actually considered an import-friendly system, believe it or not! Japanese gamers who are big into importing Western games (ie. reverse weaboos) are typically 360 owners.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This is going to be a losing battle mostly because of Nintendo's business practices and their massive investments in currency markets.

I think mounting a unified account system across all their hardware viral campaign would be a much better use of the internet megaphone.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is going to be a losing battle mostly because of Nintendo's business practices and their massive investments in currency markets.

I think mounting a unified account system across all their hardware viral campaign would be a much better use of the internet megaphone.

The fact is that Iwata himself already stated how they want the Nintendo Network itself to become the platform, so the actual platform is device agnostic, so I think that shouldn't require such a campaign, since...they already stated the relevance of NN in their future systems, across all of them.

However, new post!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACaU2yR021mwQ

This time, with a drawing. That drawing is now the background of my profile :)

I get why Nintendo region locks, as it helps niche games spread to other regions for example there is no way in hell all those 360 boxed shmups would have made it to PAL and NA if the Japanese originals weren't region locked (not one single region free 360 shmup has been localised)

But Region Locking only works if the publisher gives a shit about getting their games out to as many ppl as possible which isn't the case with Altus / SEGA. So to hell with Region Locking

Vibranium

Banned
I am fully behind the campaign. I wish Nintendo would also realize a lot of their international fans often visit/move to Japan, yet have region-locked systems. They should be promoting Japanese games and culture, and the region-lock prevents this from happening.

L Thammy

Here's mine.

Remember, if you have pro-Miiverse comments, engage them calmly and rationally. There will always be those that defend the practice, either because it's Nintendo or just to go against the grain. Make use of that opportunity and help others to understand why we want region unlocking.

danielcw

What will happen, when the petition reaches its goal?
Will somebody hand it over to any Nintendo employee or company?

From the petition:
If anything, region-free policies encourage the additional sales of legitimate software that cannot otherwise be obtained in a given country; the money would still go to Nintendo, the developers and the distributors behind each game.

What if a game has multiple distributors in multiple regions?

TL;DR: I do support what this movement is trying to accomplish, but I fear the potentional concequences of it regarding the localization of games. Perhaps those fears are unfounded, but unfortunately to me it seems like there's no true win/win situation here.
I'm sorry but your post makes no sense, like 0.

First of all, region lock is not only related to japanese games, but also to USA games that are in english and that could be played perfectly by a huge chunk of the european population: saying that you'd rather have more localized japanese games than an unlocked platform is selfish towards european people that don't care about USA games being localized in whatever is the language of their country.

Second, if japanese developers and publishers want to sell their games in the west, they must localize them, region lock or not: region unlock would have absolutely 0 effect on localizations, because if the demand for a certain obscure japanese game is comparable to the amount of international people that are interested in that game and are able to read its text, so that they would be fine importing an unlocked game, then there probably wouldn't be any real reason to localize it, while if the demand were higher they should localize it to sell the game to anyone who wants to play it, not only those who can read japanese.

Region lock is done for trivial purposes and cultural misunderstandings, and there is none of it on other platforms where everyone already won/won.

Koppai

When has Nintendo ever responded to a petition before besides the recent Op Rainfall Wii campaign? Nintendo brought over one game and XSEED brought over the others. If a niche publisher didn't back them, then they wouldn't have been released at all.

Would love if the homebrew community came up with a full proof way to hack Wii U so I could import games. I want Taiko Wii U :<

Top Bottom