• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's New 3DS Ad Campaign - "I Am Not A Gamer"

soultron

Banned
Honestly, who the fuck cares? It's one advert that's probably targeted at a specific audience. Video games aren't some cool club that only people with 20-40 years of playing games are allowed in; anyone who enjoys fun and spending money can get in on the action.

Who the hell can seriously be offended by this? Are people mad because they don't want "outsiders" invading your hobby or something?

I just saw a car commercial where the people just drove around and didn't seem to care about the car itself, but their own personal lives.

I'm going to go down to Honda HQ and protest their deliberate alienation of the car driving audience. Let me get on my goggles, scarf, and driving gloves first.

Haunted

I just saw a car commercial where the people just drove around and didn't seem to care about the car itself, but their own personal lives.

I'm going to go down to Honda HQ and protest their deliberate alienation of the car driving audience. Let me get on my goggles, scarf, and driving gloves first.
Did they drive around in a car and say "I'm not a driver"? No? Then it's simply not comparable to the insult Nintendo has slung into all of our faces.

Nintendo is literally worse than Hitler.

tumblr_locjygw0qz1qdkam1o1_500.jpg

DR2K

Banned
Did they drive around in a car and say "I'm not a driver"? No? Then it's simply not comparable to the insult Nintendo has slung into all of our faces.

Nintendo is literally worse than Hitler.

tumblr_locjygw0qz1qdkam1o1_500.jpg

No, but they implied it with their smiles and shitty rims.

Also. did anyone notice that every time they turn the camera to the 3DS the hands turn white for some reason ?

She has a rare case of vitiligo that changes the colour of her hands when in direct contact with the illuminance of LCD screens. :p

Wow Nintendo is really doing everything in their power to wade away their initial audience lol

Nothing wrong with trying to expand your user base.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Are people really allowing themselves to be offended at a Fox News quality contextual edit of what the commercial's dialog actually says?

For fuck's sake.

tkscz

So let me get this straight, the ad is basically saying that you don't have to be a core gamer to enjoy the game, but people take offense to this? Remember back when we use to want other people to play video games? What ever happened to that?

Now I'll admit, this probably won't win back those who left the DS for smartphones, but the ad sure isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Haunted

Are people really allowing themselves to be offended at a Fox News quality contextual edit of what the commercial's dialog actually says?

For fuck's sake.
I don't think there's a lot of offended people in here, actually. Maybe one or two, if that.

Not counting the people using the opportunity to take a potshot against Nintendo.

Busaiku

So let me get this straight, the ad is basically saying that you don't have to be a core gamer to enjoy the game, but people take offense to this? Remember back when we use to want other people to play video games? What ever happened to that?

Now I'll admit, this probably won't win back those who left the DS for smartphones, but the ad sure isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

The girl is actually saying she's a hardcore New Super Mario Bros 2 player.
At least, that's what I get from "coin collecting maniac".

I dunno, I guess someone can see that as not playing games.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The ad is trying to make a cute statement. The person is saying they aren't a gamer, they are a _____.

This is somewhat like, say, a Star Wars ad in which the viewer said "I'm not watching a film -- I'm part of the rebel alliance!"

Some folks seem far too sensitive to anything these days.

RagnarokX

For fuck's sake.

Heh, I was just thinking of Fox News with the way the ad was taken out of context.

They could make another ad with a dudebro playing Black Ops 2 on WiiU saying "I'm not a gamer; with my WiiU I'm an elite special forces operative!"

This is like "you didn't build that!"

Penguin

People started playing games... but not the games people wanted them to play...

*Shrugs*

2San

Nintendo, How come you don't want me man. :,(

edit: On a serious note. Looks pretty harmless to me, but I can see how people can take it the wrong way.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
The only thing this tells us is that the term "gamer" truly is a negative term in our society based on how negative people's reactions are.

For Nintendo to say "With the 3DS, I'm not a Gamer, I'm an artist" and then for Gamers to get pissed tells me that people don't want others to be "artists" but only GAMERS!

WE MUST ALL BE GAMERS! HOW DARE EVERYONE ELSE. GO FUCK OFF.

Nintendo is smart. With Nintendo 3DS, I can be whatever I want to be, not just a gamer. This separates the connotations of being a "gamer" from the 3DS, thus we can be anyone we fucking want to be with the 3DS.

That's pretty fucking cool.

heyf00L

People in this thread don't seem all that upset. I only counted 3 negative replies on this page.

I think most of us watched it and get it. Those that just want to be angry -- oh well.

Mariolee

I guess watched the ads differently.

It wasn't "I'm not a gamer"

But more gaming can turn me into an artist, an heroic plumber, a warrior... etc

But *Shrugs*

Because that is exactly what it is. Imagine how differently this thread would go if the title of "Nintendo's New 3DS Ad Campaign - "I Am Not A Gamer...I Am ________"

SegaFanac

Neo Member
Nintendo seems with these ads trying to capture an even broader market share than what they currently have.

They know that they have the die hard Nintendo fans, and core/classic gamers, but they are focusing on people who may not have any interest in games what so ever and tailor the market to get them in.

Like the old saying goes, why pay for the milk when you can get the cow for free.

Well at least those are my two cents on the matter, other than that the ads are neither here or there, it just lacks old Nintendo charm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v02WFh_Kdl0&feature=related

Granted I grew up on SEGA, however, I remember watching these comercials.

Those complaining must not have actually watched the entire commercial. It makes complete sense in both contexts and has no negative connotation attached at all...

The OP turns into flame bait by not including what follows "I am not gamer".

I guess watched the ads differently.

It wasn't "I'm not a gamer"

But more gaming can turn me into an artist, an heroic plumber, a warrior... etc

But *Shrugs*

same here, people seem to be looking far into it without even putting it in context

"I am not a Man, I am a Super Man..." <--- is pretty much the concept of what she said.

the denial was only to brag about how good she is at her coin collecting sheesh

Madao

with all the negative associations with the word "gamer" these days, i wouldn't call myself one despite playing plenty of games.

i think NoA wants to hit this angle from the big crowd that enjoys games but thinks bad of "gamers".

but this clearly won't go smoothly.

edit: fuck. last post in the page.

Top Bottom