• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Profit Rises

ziran

Reuters
Reuters said:
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS) on Thursday reported a third-quarter profit that more than doubled, helped by currency-related gains and demand for its game software, and it kept its forecast for the full year.

Nintendo, known for games featuring characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, has enjoyed a solid holiday season, particularly in Japan, due to strong demand for its DS portable game machine and games such as "Nintendogs," "Animal Crossing DS" and "Mario Kart DS."

Consolidated net profit for October-December rose to 55.56 billion yen ($479.7 million), according to Reuters calculations, from 21.3 billion a year earlier.

Operating profit was roughly flat from a year earlier at 63.17 billion yen.

The company said it still expected a net profit of 75 billion yen for the full year versus a profit of 87.4 billion yen a year earlier. The consensus estimate of analysts was 77.5 billion yen, according to Reuters Estimates.

Nintendo kept its full-year unit sales forecasts unchanged for DS, GameCube and Game Boy Advance devices and software.

The December quarter is a key period for Nintendo as consumers worldwide buy game devices and software as holiday gifts.

Shares in Nintendo rose 23.3 percent in the first nine months of its business year, underperforming the Nikkei average (^N225 - news), which rose 40.2 percent.

The stock closed up 1 percent at 16,380 yen on Thursday.

($1=115.82 yen)
Great news for Nintendo :)

GhaleonEB

I saw in the stickied thread that NOA mentioned 14.4m DS sell-through; was that known before?

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS) on Thursday reported a third-quarter profit that more than doubled, helped by currency-related gains and demand for its game software, and it kept its forecast for the full year.

Nintendo, known for games featuring characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, has enjoyed a solid holiday season, particularly in Japan, due to strong demand for its DS portable game machine and games such as "Nintendogs," "Animal Crossing DS" and "Mario Kart DS."

Consolidated net profit for October-December rose to 55.56 billion yen ($479.7 million), according to Reuters calculations, from 21.3 billion a year earlier.

Operating profit was roughly flat from a year earlier at 63.17 billion yen.

The company said it still expected a net profit of 75 billion yen for the full year versus a profit of 87.4 billion yen a year earlier. The consensus estimate of analysts was 77.5 billion yen, according to Reuters Estimates.

Nintendo kept its full-year unit sales forecasts unchanged for DS, GameCube and Game Boy Advance devices and software.

The December quarter is a key period for Nintendo as consumers worldwide buy game devices and software as holiday gifts.

Shares in Nintendo rose 23.3 percent in the first nine months of its business year, underperforming the Nikkei average (^N225 - news), which rose 40.2 percent.

The stock closed up 1 percent at 16,380 yen on Thursday.

($1=115.82 yen)
Alternate bolding for the haters.

Jonnyram

I like how in the Sony release they compare the price to the electronics sector, but Nintendo is compared to the Nikkei... The 225 was a monster last year - it's hardly surprising to see Nintendo underperform it.

They made about $500 million in profit in about 3 months? Damn.

Nintendo's cash reserves will definitely hit $10 billion very soon.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That number is going to double, in the very least with this crazy DS year and Zelda: TP on the horizon. :D

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Amir0x said:
do you really care Jonnyram?
I care. The financial media is thouroughly anti-nintendo.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Where is that recent "I think this may be Nintendo's last console" thread?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
jj984jj said:
Where is that recent "I think this may be Nintendo's last console" thread?
It's probably mixed up in the 40 or so PSP vs. DS threads on the first page.

ziran

I think Nintendo's next financial year, 06-07, is going to be better than this year.

There's DS Lite, New Super Mario Bros, Twilight Princess, Revolution and maybe Pokemon Diamond/Pearl.

The war chest is going to continue to grow :)

Mrbob

I missed it, what is this DS Lite we are talking about?

And why is it only Nintendo fans constantly bring up the doomed talk anymore. ;)

Mrbob said:

And why is it only Nintendo fans constantly bring up the doomed talk anymore. ;)

DS Lite thread is stickied on top.

And the reason its own Nintendo fans now bringing up the "doomed" talk anymore in spite is because the idiots who actually thought that might happen have found their foot lodged firmly in their mouthes and then shoved down deeper with the success of the DS since Easter.

Mrbob

soundwave05 said:
DS Lite thread is stickied on top.

And the reason its own Nintendo fans now bringing up the "doomed" talk anymore in spite is because the idiots who actually thought that might happen have found their foot lodged firmly in their mouthes and then shoved down deeper with the success of the DS since Easter.

Same thing we hear about Sony in various PSP and PS3 threads.

"Sony is poor"
"Sony is in trouble"
"Sony poorly structured"
"Sony is out of touch"
"Sony brand losing power"
"PSP to cost $500"
"PS3 to cost $500"
"360 to outsell PS3"

DS is doing fine and will do fine. It is time to drop the defensive stance. ;)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Frankfurter said:
Warchest = 10 billion? :lol

I suppose 10 billion is stretching it a bit. But I think they have around $8 billion so far, though. Someone feel free to correct me, since I'm not sure.

As long as folks continually re-buy cosmetic hardware upgrades they'll always be raking it in.

The slim line PStwo says hello.

"360 to outsell PS3"

I think it's safe to put that prediction to rest. :lol

kIdMuScLe

jj984jj said:
No. There was another one recently from a member of the forums.

oh i thought you were talkin about this quote that he said 2 days ago

3D Realms CEO Scott Miller3D said:
"My prediction for this new round of consoles is that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will wind up about equal in terms of sales, with Nintendo's Revolution coming in a distant third," Miller writes. "Perhaps this will be the last console from [Nintendo]."

Mrbob said:

there was an article just the other day saying PSP will obliterate DS sales in the next 5 years in NA

Top Bottom