• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Jimrpg

I like this game more than Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne. Yeah, I said it

After playing the demo, I definitely like the aesthetic more. Bloodborne while the art design is amazing doesn't resonate with me as much. William Adams humanizes the game much more.

Also as much as I like the layers of story within the game world in a Souls or Bloodborne game I'm just as happy to have the story told in a straight forward manner again.

hughesta

Banned
Why does the score make them irrelevant?
No matter what you think of the mechanics or design decisions in Uncharted 4, it does not deserve a 4. Any game with that level of polish and responsiveness should be a 6 at least. 5 and under should be reserved for games that are technically faulted, or real bad. I don't like U4 a whole lot but it's definitely neither of those things.

myco666

No matter what you think of the mechanics or design decisions in Uncharted 4, it does not deserve a 4. Any game with that level of polish and responsiveness should be a 6 at least. 5 and under should be reserved for games that are technically faulted, or real bad. I don't like U4 a whole lot but it's definitely neither of those things.

If you use scale 1-10 then 5 would mean mediocre and not something that is technically faulted or real bad. And why it doesn't matter what you think of mechanics or design? If the reviewer thinks those aspects are not as good as in other games then the person has every right to review it so. It doesn't make their opinion irrelevant.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really like the game as well, but it seems very short-sighted and reactionary for anyone calling this immediately superior to the SoulsBorne games.

I'd argue that the level layouts, story progression, and enemy variety is a bit lacking in my time so far with Nioh. Only on the second continent so hopefully this changes, but have been super bummed that such a major setting change elicits barely anything new to fight. There is plenty I do love though and it makes an incredible first impression. Would highly recommend the game, but the basis on it being superior to those other games is really flimsy.

What? Dragon's Dogma is way closer to Nioh and Souls than the Witcher.

I'd kinda vouch for how the flaws of DD's combat are not dissimilar to the Witcher's issue with balancing.

That being said, DD has vastly superior movement to Witcher.

As for Ni-Oh, I'm really enjoying the game but I think Team Ninja could have stripped out some of the fluff like the loot system which might allow them to make even tighter balancing. Souls really nailed loot by exploration and Demon's Souls completely nailed the viability of said weapons and more games need to attempt it.

Elandyll

Banned
I like this game more than Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne. Yeah, I said it
giphy.gif

/jk ;)

Lady Gaia

It's utterly deserving of the good reviews from what I've played. Really solid mechanics and some very interesting ideas added to what is 100% the Souls formula, right down to areas and enemies that are either tributes to the original series or just blatantly stolen.

These additions are what make the game unique and worthy of praise above the usual 75-80 review for a game that works fine but comes across as utterly uninspired. The Ki system is the heart of every encounter, and rewards fine tuning your strategy. The avalanche of loot would be a hassle if it weren't for the streamlined and responsive interface for sorting through and selling / offering / disassembling large amounts of gear. The extra layers of storytelling are also appreciated, though I wish there was a second level of discoverable lore under the surface.

All in all, an impressive release deserving of being sold out left and right.

mollipen

I really like the game as well, but it seems very short-sighted and reactionary for anyone calling this immediately superior to the SoulsBorne games.

I'd argue that the level layouts, story progression, and enemy variety is a bit lacking in my time so far with Nioh. Only on the second continent so hopefully this changes, but have been super bummed that such a major setting change elicits barely anything new to fight. There is plenty I do love though and it makes an incredible first impression. Would highly recommend the game, but the basis on it being superior to those other games is really flimsy.

Things definitely get better in terms of enemy variety. What whatever reason, the early missions feel like you're just fighting the same things over and over, but the further you get in, suddenly you're seeing a nice amount of new foes. Maybe not as many as I'd like to have seen in the end, but don't worry, enemy variety definitely starts improving soon.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To be fair, I'd knock some point off for the backwards coop feature that was available in beta's but not the full game.

It's a 7/10

I would not.

Its just an overreaction to a trial version that always says 'not representative of the final product'.

I really liked Nioh, but in comparison to the souls games (DS1, DeS, BB), there is no comparison IMO. The souls games are on another level to me. Atmosphere, interconnected worlds, lore, NPC's, music, and bosses.

Nioh puts a immense focus on combat which makes some of the other aspects of the game feel like a bit of an after thought.

Ridiculous! Sony should have had more confidence in this game or they're pushing digital...

Personally Nioh was not even in my radar till like a week before release. I didnt play the Beta or Alpha and I am soulsborne player. I guess they were just not prepared for the demand.

Eusis

I don't think I'll like Nioh more than Bloodborne, but I can see it reaching Dark Souls III level of brilliance, maybe even surpass it (already did on combat department).
DSIII was also the third game in the series so it can feel like well worn territory. Even if Nioh were technically inferior I could prefer it over DSIII just for being fresher. I certainly felt that way with Salt & Sanctuary (though I forget if I showed that in the GOTY voting or not. Can be argued as inferior but more enjoyable to go through.)

shandy706

Sigh, I love the idea behind this game...and the historic tie-ins.

I don't like BB or the Souls series though...

Is it exactly like them gameplay wise?

I can't stand repeatedly doing things over and over and over. I don't mind hard bosses, but I don't want to grind or spend time repeating the same areas in a game. My game time is limited and I have to be able to pause at any time.

Curufinwe

I can't stand repeatedly doing things over and over and over. I don't mind hard bosses, but I don't want to grind or spend time repeating the same areas in a game. My game time is limited and I have to be able to pause at any time.

I think you can pause by hitting the PS button.

hawk2025

You won't like this.

silva1991

It has a different combat system, but it is more repetitive than Souls. If repeating similar areas and grinding is an issue for you then I don't think you will like it.

It's utterly deserving of the good reviews from what I've played. Really solid mechanics and some very interesting ideas added to what is 100% the Souls formula, right down to areas and enemies that are either tributes to the original series or just blatantly stolen.

These additions are what make the game unique and worthy of praise above the usual 75-80 review for a game that works fine but comes across as utterly uninspired. The Ki system is the heart of every encounter, and rewards fine tuning your strategy. The avalanche of loot would be a hassle if it weren't for the streamlined and responsive interface for sorting through and selling / offering / disassembling large amounts of gear. The extra layers of storytelling are also appreciated, though I wish there was a second level of discoverable lore under the surface.

All in all, an impressive release deserving of being sold out left and right.

what is blatantly stolen?

Lady Gaia

what is blatantly stolen?

As I suggested, it's hard to tell whether the Souls team should find it flattering or be outraged because the foundation of the game is so blatantly similar. Let's see, though, aside from the entire basic mechanical structure of the game?

• The behavior patterns of the
    rolling enemies in the mines
    is clearly meant to remind players of the
    rolling skeleton wheels
  • The
    mines
    in general feel like a riff on the poison-themed blight town, including the appearance of rickety platforms over everything.
  • There's a sub-mission relatively early filled with
    musicians playing what I believe are shamisen
    that continually resurrect
    flaming skulls, but also dead player revenants which I actually thought was a nice touch
    . They'd be familiar to anyone who fought skeletons with necromancers around.

Nothing is without iteration and innovation so it's not a simply cash-in clone, but it's hard to play without seeing many very familiar aspects.

As I suggested, it's hard to tell whether the Souls team should find it flattering or be outraged because the foundation of the game is so blatantly similar. Let's see, though, aside from the entire basic mechanical structure of the game?

• The behavior patterns of the
    rolling enemies in the mines
    is clearly meant to remind players of the
    rolling skeleton wheels
  • The
    mines
    in general feel like a riff on the poison-themed blight town, including the appearance of rickety platforms over everything.
  • There's a sub-mission relatively early filled with
    musicians playing what I believe are shamisen
    that continually resurrect
    flaming skulls, but also dead player revenants which I actually thought was a nice touch
    . They'd be familiar to anyone who fought skeletons with necromancers around.

Nothing is without iteration and innovation so it's not a simply cash-in clone, but it's hard to play without seeing many very familiar aspects.

What do you mean by basic mechanical structure? The game's entire combat system is drastically different than a Souls title (and harkens more to other older action games than any particular Souls game). And as part of that, most of the sub-systems are fairly different as well.

It shares surface level similarities sure, but that's really about it I would say.

What do you mean by basic mechanical structure? The game's entire combat system is drastically different than a Souls title (and harkens more to other older action games than any particular Souls game). And as part of that, most of the sub-systems are fairly different as well.

It shares surface level similarities sure, but that's really about it I would say.

The stat/leveling system, right down to bloodstain retrieval is a complete lift of Dark Souls. The games are distinguishable but there's more than surface level similarities. It's a good game and it's fun, but IMO you have to acknowledge its borrowed foundations.

Top Bottom