• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh sells in 1 million (shipments + digital downloads) worldwide

jayu26

Wow, I don't think KT expected this. Nioh 2 is probably already in the works.

Also, what a pick up for Sony. They have this genre on the lock down this generation with Bloodborne 2 probably coming next.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Is that good for what they wanted? Million sounds great, but I'd love to hear their expectations.

Must be good with how many times I've seen people be unable to buy it.
Someone I know is receiving his game in a week after trying to get a copy 2 days after the original release.

Totally deserved. Even more!
I'm sure it would have sold even better, if they hadn't undershipped the game.
Man, it was out of stock in many places, for weeks.

Nioh is a god damn incredible game.
Really hope for a sequel in the future.

I feel like they might have under-shipped, because when I tried to order a physical copy from Amazon they were quoting me April delivery dates.

how much do they have to pay from software in royalties though? i kid i kid, good game, constant reminder of the fact that i don't have as much time or desire to delve deep into new games as i used to, though. doubt i'm going to finish it when sonic mania and mass effect start stealing my gaming time in the near future.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
bigger better sequel with more budget and improved everything...i hope they don't try and stay on nioh 1 too long. do the season pass stuff, then bundle it later in a GOTY edition and move on to the next thing

I feel like they might have under-shipped, because when I tried to order a physical copy from Amazon they were quoting me April delivery dates.

They definitely did

silva1991

Bloodborne sold(to consumers I think) 1 million in a month as well.

I can't believe one guy was arguing with me that this will likely to flop, but will be good critically.

I knew Souls/TN/Samurai games fans will push this baby.

Now don't milk this good game and make Ninja Gaiden 4 pleas.

Inuhanyou

Bloodborne sold(to consumers I think) 1 million in a month as well.

I can't believe one guy was arguing with me that this will likely to flop, but will be good critically.

I knew Souls/TN/Samurai games fans will push this baby.

Now don't milk this good game and make Ninja Gaiden 4 pleas.

I think DOA6 will come first, then Nioh 2 and then some kind of new NG, probably a reboot or something

YooOOOOoooOOOooo!!

Love this game, the lead up to its release through the alpha, beta, and last chance are some of my favourite gaming memories these last two gens

goldenpp72

Seems incredible to me for an exclusive new ip out of japan, especially for that company. This actually scares me as a NG fan considering those never break 2 million, Nioh might be the only thing they do from now on.

Ogawa-san

No. A simple way to describe it would be Onimusha Souls.
I like TN's own description better.

LNRpipu.png

Wow, didn't think that it would have sold that much in a short amount of time for a new ip in this genre. Congrats to Team ninja. I'm loving this game.

cheesekao

I like TN's own description better.

LNRpipu.png
I don't think that's accurate because ninjas aren't grabbing me and exploding in my face every 5 seconds, heh. Haven't played NG in a while but I think that was my last experience playing it.

Could've sold much more of they bothered to stock it. -_-
It simply more than likely exceeded their expectations. Reprinting discs and shipping them takes time.

I don't think that's accurate because ninjas aren't grabbing me and exploding in my face every 5 seconds, heh. Haven't played NG in a while but I think that was my last experience playing it.

Exploding shuriken from off-screen that you can't anticipate? I remember hearing that one about Ninja Gaiden 2.

Nioh was my first Koei AND Tecmo title that I ever beat, love it. Glad to hear it's pretty successful.

Maddrical

Been wanting to pick this up in Aus for a while after reading the impressions but can't find a copy for a decent price. Not paying $90+, not nowadays.

heres to some great DLC and free updates along with an amazing sequel in a few years time.

an ip that sells a million within a couple weeks wont just get shelved.

So if we go by the sales of similar genre games

Dark Souls (multiplatform) - 3,4 million
Bloodbonre (exclusive) - 2,3 million
Nioh (exclusive so far) - 1 million and potentially 2?

I'd say this is extremely good for a new IP like Nioh. Shows potential for growth like Dark Souls series although I doubt it can reach a number like 4 million since there is always a limit to Souls fans.

Isn't this better than bloodborne? The game but sales.
I wouldn't call it better since it depends on opinion, but it is harder for sure.

dili

I wish I could get my money back for preordering the deluxe edition only for them to pull a bait and switch with the coop in the final game.

Never buying another one of their games

Inuhanyou

So if we go by the sales of similar genre games

Dark Souls (multiplatform) - 3,4 million
Bloodbonre (exclusive) - 2,3 million
Nioh (exclusive so far) - 1 million and potentially 2?

I'd say this is extremely good for a new IP like Nioh. Shows potential for growth like Dark Souls series although I doubt it can reach a number like 4 million since there is always a limit to Souls fans.

my guess is while keeping an eye on what made this title work, they will move away from direct souls mechanics while putting their own spin on things like how saints row started as a GTA clone

my guess is while keeping an eye on what made this title work, they will move away from direct souls mechanics while putting their own spin on things like how saints row started as a GTA clone
It will be harder to attract casual fans and if they make the sequel easier, they will attract backlash from the hardcore fans who bought the first game. Curious to see which approach they will take here.

Top Bottom