• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Axl in Your Pocket • Panasonic cancels Jungle

operon

axl_rose_011.jpg

Suppose it wouldn't have fitted in your pocket

jhawk6

Not sure what they were thinking with the Jungle as has been pointed out many times before. The handheld market would have been so unforgiving, I think Panasonic's shareholders wised up and shut this failure down before it could fail.

Wow what were these market conditions that changed in just not even 6 months, they had no forecasting ability or something? Based on the article, I guess Sony now has no competition in the arena.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They has such a promising idea though - compete in the blue waters of MMO and portable gaming simultaneously. How could competing against the 3DS, NGP and WoW at the same time fail?

Phenomic

At what point in time did they ever think that trying to beat Nintendo and Sony to the next generation was even plausible. Did they even show any games for it? I thought they announced it via MTV or something and we haven't heard anything since.

Between Iphones, Droids, 3DS, NGP. No one wants another portable device that plays games. We have enough of them.

Even if they had a cool idea I also don't see anyone playing MMO's on a portable device. Imagine trying to do Arena's in WoW or something with that little keyboard. Would end up using 3 cooldowns fat fingering the "2" key.

MisterHero

poppabk said:
They has such a promising idea though - compete in the blue waters of MMO and portable gaming simultaneously. How could competing against the 3DS, NGP and WoW at the same time fail?
To be fair I don't think DS/PSP/3DS/NGP have a huge market in MMOs. They probably got a lot of feedback that people would use it to play free/pay-for-extras games, which wouldn't have done them or supporting developers a whole lot of good lol

I need a platform for my Dungeon Fighter fix though :(

dankir

Surprised it took them so long. I mean they should have realized at the very start of the project, there's no way this would be successful.

webrunner

As smart as it is not to release this, it means something behind the scenes changes because even though it was stupid they were still planning on it.

My thoughts is that they couldn't make a deal with Blizzard, and if you want to sell a handheld MMO device you can't do it without World of Warcraft.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I wish they would have at least got it to beta before canceling so I could have possibly gotten a test unit (that I never would have given back)

Thank god this is finally official. I've known about this for two months now. I was unfortunately associated with that clusterfuck of a project and spent a year of my life working on that damn thing. Panasonic had contracted us for what was supposed to be just a couple months but turned out to being almost a year. I still remember when I first got there, I saw it and was like, are you serious? Then I saw their plan, and I was like, no friggin way will this get done in time. With the way things were, I kept thinking they have to cancel this now, but every check point it never did. That thing was doomed to failure from the beginning and nobody at Panasonic could see it because almost nobody there had game industry experience or knowledge. Don't get me wrong, there were some good smart people there, but it really was amateur hour there in so many ways which made it one of the most frustrating and irritating years of my life. Man it would blow your mind at some of the things that happend there.

jhawk6

Marty Chinn said:
Thank god this is finally official. I've known about this for two months now. I was unfortunately associated with that clusterfuck of a project and spent a year of my life working on that damn thing. Panasonic had contracted us for what was supposed to be just a couple months but turned out to being almost a year. I still remember when I first got there, I saw it and was like, are you serious? Then I saw their plan, and I was like, no friggin way will this get done in time. With the way things were, I kept thinking they have to cancel this now, but every check point it never did. That thing was doomed to failure from the beginning and nobody at Panasonic could see it because almost nobody there had game industry experience or knowledge. Don't get me wrong, there were some good smart people there, but it really was amateur hour there in so many ways which made it one of the most frustrating and irritating years of my life. Man it would blow your mind at some of the things that happend there.

Wow, sounds messed up! You think Panasonic of all companies would remember the 3DO fiasco and if they really wanted to make a new gaming device would be sensible about it but obviously not.

End of gaming, fuck you guys for not supporting this incredible device. I, for one, will go outside the Panasonic headquarters and form a rally consisting entirely of myself campaigning for the resurrection of this handheld gaming messiah.

poppabk said:
I think he is saying that once you start developing a project, once you have sunk money into it, it is best to pursue it to the end even if projections suggest that it will not be a financial success.
Read all about it
and how this is wrong
here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

Heh, I was about to reply before reading your link thinking I know all about sunk costs, but then I see what you were referring to in the link. Ya, I know about the fact that once you've spent the money it's irrelevent and moving forward, it's about does it make financial sense to spend more money if you can't make that back. There were sooo many points where they kept getting more funding when they probably shouldn't have so The Faceless Monster is right that Panasonic finally made a good business decision when they made so many bad ones before that with this project by not canceling it earlier.

soultron said:

I kid you not, but many were not aware....and those that were tried to argue that they aren't the competition.

poppabk said:
I think he is saying that once you start developing a project, once you have sunk money into it, it is best to pursue it to the end even if projections suggest that it will not be a financial success.
Read all about it
and how this is wrong
here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

I was more referring to the fact this idea was stillborn to begin with. Lets make a dedicated MMO device that runs more slowly than a laptop, does less than a laptop, is uglier than a laptop, has less games than a laptop, doesnt have world of warcraft, doesnt have a proper keyset, doesnt have proper support from third parties, doesnt have the BEST mmos, wont have any marketing budget, wont have a friendly price point, wont be upgradeable, and most importantly of all, probably wont play well (or at least as well as a laptop)

the only good points it has was that it runs linux and that if someone ever saw you on the bus playing your jungle they would instinctively be curious about what the device was but be scared off by the inevitable neckbeard and stench lines emminating off your body. They would associate people who play the jungle with people they never want anything to do with.

Jesus christ, its like i forgot how to actually put together a cogent sentence. Fuck i'm stupid.

Sunk Costs, yeah, woo, go business.

Onion_Relish said:
I was more referring to the fact this idea was stillborn to begin with. Lets make a dedicated MMO device that runs more slowly than a laptop, does less than a laptop, is uglier than a laptop, has less games than a laptop, doesnt have world of warcraft, doesnt have a proper keyset, doesnt have proper support from third parties, doesnt have the BEST mmos, wont have any marketing budget, wont have a friendly price point, wont be upgradeable, and most importantly of all, probably wont play well (or at least as well as a laptop)

the only good points it has was that it runs linux and that if someone ever saw you on the bus playing your jungle they would instinctively be curious about what the device was but be scared off by the inevitable neckbeard and stench lines emminating off your body. They would associate people who play the jungle with people they never want anything to do with.

Jesus christ, its like i forgot how to actually put together a cogent sentence. Fuck i'm stupid.

Sunk Costs, yeah, woo, go business.

I don't understand how that's related to your comment about:

Please let me know when you start your own business so i can avoid it like the plague.

because if someone came up to me and said "i want to make a dedicated mmo device, give me money" i would laugh in their faces and possibly spit on them too. The only way i could reject someone faster would be if they said "i want to make a social networking site that can go against facebook, give me money"

Onion_Relish said:
because if someone came up to me and said "i want to make a dedicated mmo device, give me money" i would laugh in their faces and possibly spit on them too. The only way i could reject someone faster would be if they said "i want to make a social networking site that can go against facebook, give me money"

Again, are you reading what you're typing? How does that respond to someone saying that Panasonic finally made a good business decision? It sounds like you're in agreement rather than you disagreeing with what he said.

Marty Chinn said:
Again, are you reading what you're typing? How does that respond to someone saying that Panasonic finally made a good business decision? It sounds like you're in agreement rather than you disagreeing with what he said.

oh wow, yeah, sorry. My reading comprehension and grammar are shit today. Please excuse my idiocy.

Onion_Relish said:
oh wow, yeah, sorry. My reading comprehension and grammar are shit today. Please excuse my idiocy.
Ok, whew, I thought I was going nuts trying to figure out what you were saying. No worries =)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Poor thing,First M2 , then Nuon and now Jungle, Panasonic just keep delivering dead babies.

Sony need to dig Jungle's grave and steal the secondary shoulder buttons and put them into NGP or something.

larvi

Never heard of it but it sounds like it would have made a good portable DosBox machine. Something that none of the current portables really do that well.

At least they wised up before actually releasing this thing. Still, it's legitimately fascinating to me that they got as far along into developing it as they did before realizing it was a horrible idea.

jhawk6

ElectricBanquet said:
At least they wised up before actually releasing this thing. Still, it's legitimately fascinating to me that they got as far along into developing it as they did before realizing it was a horrible idea.

It is a bit fascinating. What board of corporate pinheads dreamed it up? Who said to them "yes, let's green light this"?

Vorg

Banned
onken said:
Damn would have been nice to have a little Linux-based handheld to mod and such.

Well, you can always get of these :p

Open Pandora
pandora-latest-080508-300x211.jpg

Nokia N900
Nokia_N900_48_lowres.jpg

Their insides are basically the same too.

Top Bottom