• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No hype at all for AI: The Somnium Files?

So AI: The Somnium files, the new game from the Zero Escape series director Kotaro Uchikoshi, releases today digitally in the US. The EU release will be on the 20th, and the physical release will be on the 24th if I'm not mistaken.

The game has already got some reviews with decent-to-good scores, with a 79 average on Opencritic. Most reviewers said that it's a pretty good game if you're a fan of the genre, but others said that it's not really a worthy successor to ZE.

GAF has been eerily silent about this game which I find strange as I know there are lots of ZE fans here. Anyone got the game already and can grace us with some early impressions?

Last edited:

Deft Beck

The game is definitely falling under the radar, as it's been a while since the last Zero Escape and it's a new IP.

I'm willing to give it a shot, maybe not at base price.

McCheese

Just a heads up really, do not pick this up on Switch unless you absolutely have to. Had a quick dabble across both versions (review copies) to decide which format I was going to pick it up for at home, and unfortunately, they've done a piss-poor job with the switch port, despite it being more expensive.

I'm no digital foundry, but from what I can tell:

- Framerate issues on both portable and docked
- Handheld mode is sub-720p with no AA, very jaggy - but at least the interface itself looks like it's native res.
- Docked looks like it's around 900p, but even the interface is sub-1080p so it butchers the 2D artwork.

PS4 Pro version by comparison is *chef kiss*

Typhares

I'll probably give it a go at some point but I can't say I am super hyped for it.
I didn't even play the last zero escape game and I was obsessed with 999. VLR already let me down a little bit.

Dada55000

I think he lost a lot of goodwill when ZTD ended up being shite and then it was revealed he only wrote like a third of it and that he probably didn't wanna make it. Pissed away the value of his name.

ZTD was sold as a game "for the fans who kept it alive long enough to get made", only to turn around and put such a tepid amount of effort into it.

Last edited:
This is first time I'm hearing about it, Steam or Gamepass?

Edit: Just Googled it, Do I need to be a weeb to follow what I'm playing or is it not gonna play like it's some kind of Anime show story wise?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So AI: The Somnium files, the new game from the Zero Escape series director Kotaro Uchikoshi, releases today digitally in the US. The EU release will be on the 20th, and the physical release will be on the 24th if I'm not mistaken.

The game has already got some reviews with decent-to-good scores, with a 79 average on Opencritic. Most reviewers said that it's a pretty good game if you're a fan of the genre, but others said that it's not really a worthy successor to ZE.

GAF has been eerily silent about this game which I find strange as I know there are lots of ZE fans here. Anyone got the game already and can grace us with some early impressions?
Actually im looking such much this game.. I know is from the character creator of No more Héroes and the story writer of Zero escape saga. For sure will be in my case for Nintendo Switch. But I will buy it when price drops a little bit more.. And because I keep my eye in Many Switch games right know. But soon or later I will buy it.

Reactions: Isa

wipeout364

The price kind of scared me off for a new ip that I know nothing about. I almost bought it but then decided I should wait for reviews. I guess the answer will be coming in shortly, it certainly looks cool in the promotional material.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Im not sure is only aventure or have elements of a visual novel.

I like visual novels but I know this genre is not popular in América.

For sure this game is niche or will be become a cult videogame.

Last edited:
Yeah the price is kind of steep. I'm not sure if it's coming to Steam but if it is it might get a sale soon-ish. I was looking forward to playing it in Switch as I played all the Nonary series in portable platforms.

Considering the creator I thought it would be a hybrid VN/puzzle-adventure game, and it seems to be the case but it seems to be heavier in the VN elements than previous games. Let's not forget Uchikoshi also wrote the Infinity series so maybe this is a return to form for him.

Heimdall_Xtreme

The price kind of scared me off for a new ip that I know nothing about. I almost bought it but then decided I should wait for reviews. I guess the answer will be coming in shortly, it certainly looks cool in the promotional material.

OK. Friend dont listen the reviews please. But im agreed with you. In this moment is expensive. I will wait until is at least 30$ dollars or less. And dont listen the Límited run games. There will give more copies in another website. So we can wait it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Yeah the price is kind of steep. I'm not sure if it's coming to Steam but if it is it might get a sale soon-ish. I was looking forward to playing it in Switch as I played all the Nonary series in portable platforms.

Considering the creator I thought it would be a hybrid VN/puzzle-adventure game, and it seems to be the case but it seems to be heavier in the VN elements than previous games. Let's not forget Uchikoshi also wrote the Infinity series so maybe this is a return to form for him.
Yeah will come to pc... Actually límited run game have it for sale. But to be honest, the extras that give in this site are crap and the price is expensive. But is your choice.

Last edited:

decisions

I’m excited. Will probably always be interested in the games made by the guy who made 999, and it looks pretty good. Maybe I’ll start it today.

brap

Banned
Looks kinda interesting. Just added it to my list like a week ago. I'll wait and see if Snoy censors anything before I pick up a copy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really want to get this but I already have too much to to play, I have to comeback to this later on.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It’s on my wishlist. Love the other games.

They really haven’t promoted this game very well at all.

Doom85

Got it pre-ordered, but no way in hell am I going to be able to play it anytime soon, there's too much coming out for quite a few months now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'll get around to it, just... not right away. Feels like a game made for me, though, so I feel kinda dumb for not prioritizing it. Alas.

Isa

I've got it on Switch but haven't had time to start it yet sadly. It definitely has me intrigued and I like the character art.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've got it on Switch but haven't had time to start it yet sadly. It definitely has me intrigued and I like the character art.
I think the characters designs is done by the same person who worked on FE Awakening and No More Heroes.

• Thoughtful
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nine was decent but the other VN's he worked on were terrible. I can see why people aren't excited about this honestly.
Ah yeah I remember that being mentioned in a trailer I saw, thanks for the info. That explains the pretty faces and the main guy is cool. Awakening takes me back... ah Tharja... :pie_smiling_hearts:
I miss the artstyle. I grew to like the characters in 3 houses but the artstyle still bugs me.

Definitely looking forward to it. I'm hoping it will be around 999 level of quality, with such a unique twist that brilliantly uses the hardware.

I'll probably give it a go at some point but I can't say I am super hyped for it.
I didn't even play the last zero escape game and I was obsessed with 999. VLR already let me down a little bit.

That's an odd opinion. Usually VLR is what really got people hyped, and then ZTD just burst that like a shotgun blasting a balloon.

Heimdall_Xtreme

10?? mmmmm.

Some sites give 7... other 8... other 9....

The ratings are more volatile than Donald Trump's humor.

The best review is the user gamer.... i think the best we can do is wait a drop price at least 30%, that will be soon because is a niche Game and more "Gamers" prefer a crap Call of duty or another game.

But im sure that the game will be great and with the time until be a cult videogame.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Other than knowing the guy that did 999 made this, I don’t really know enough about what this game is.
It is a game where you control a detective and you have to solve the cases and catch the murderer where he takes the left eye of his victims.

If I am not mistaken, it is essential to catch him earlier so he does not commit more crimes.

and yes... its part of visual novel, so prepare to read a lot.

brap

Banned
0 hype

DrOcPzQ.jpg

EJ8uOmH.jpg

yVHbK6c.jpg

Last edited:

Typhares

Definitely looking forward to it. I'm hoping it will be around 999 level of quality, with such a unique twist that brilliantly uses the hardware.

That's an odd opinion. Usually VLR is what really got people hyped, and then ZTD just burst that like a shotgun blasting a balloon.

It was easier to navigate between the endings which I liked but I prefered the 2D style of 999 and even the story to be honest. But that's because I don't think you can recapture the surprise I felt with 999 twists.

Teslerum

Ditto... I can forgive many sins, but I can't stand when games get preachy.

I mean I first looked up if she was a major charachter. Which she sadly was. Now I'm hoping against hope that the game doesn't just accept her personality without arguing it.

Even then, I'm put off the game for a while now, ESPECIALLY that second textbox

*And they share a common struggle.... It makes them more sensitive and capable of sypathy. That's why so many of them are kind and caring*

nearly makes me vomit.

McCheese

Let's not write a game off for seeing some screenshots without context. This game still has all the pervy anime trope stuff you would want from something like this. so it's somewhat depressing/amusing seeing folks here getting mad about those screen shots, as I'm sure folks on the other forum are going to see other screenshots and demand the game gets cancelled completely.

From my short play of it, its not pushing an agenda, and has plenty of heavily sexualised anime women. Some of the characters are assholes, some are "woke", some are pure evil. Don't take any one screenshot or set of dialogue as a measurement of the entire game.

It's also very good.

(shit is going to hit the fan when they see all the homophobic slurs the game has)

Last edited:

McCheese

Cool, now I know not to play it. I don't need any of this retarded woke shit in a video game especially from multiple characters. If I want to hear that shit I'll browse resetera.

It's really hard to put this into the right context without spoilers, but honestly, I'm not going to waste my time defending a game unless it's being misrepresented and is actually worth defending.

Resetera now: :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Resetera further on in the game: :messenger_fearful:

Last edited:
This game still has all the pervy anime trope stuff

From my short play of it, its not pushing an agenda, and has plenty of heavily sexualised anime women.

This makes me think you havent played any other games from this director. Yes, there might be one or maybe (gasp) even two scantily clad women per game, but the Zero Escape series is known for their good plots, likable characters and puzzles. Nobody plays Uchikoshi games for their fanservice.

It's a bit disrespectful to assume we all want Senran Kagura just because we don't like having an agenda pushed down our throats. And unless that character is a parody of the SJW movement, which doesn't seem to be the case, that's exactly whats happening here.

Last edited:

Teslerum

It's really hard to put this into the right context without spoilers, but honestly, I'm not going to waste my time defending a game unless it's being misrepresented and is actually worth defending.

Resetera now: :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Resetera further on in the game: :messenger_fearful:

The question I have is easy. Does the game portray the SJW charachter/s as being correct/flawless/make a point or does the game argue them/stay neutral. You don't have to go into more detail than that.

I can live with the latter one.

Teslerum

People will shit on me for this but same way Resetera call every little thing “problematic”, here every little thing is considered “SJW agenda”. I rather judge the game myself.

Outright calling LBTQ people the best and loviliest to ever exist is a bit more than a *little thing* on the agenda pushing side,

Also I'm not going to cancel the developer over it, don't worry. I'm just disappointed.
( McCheese McCheese has the power to immediatly lift that disappointment of course, I'd just like a general clarification)

Last edited:

E.T. Waifu

The LGBT stuff wasn't put because of SJW shit, it was most likely added by Uchikoshi after he received a lot of support on social media from people that mostly happened to be LGBT in a period of time where he was heavily depressed. Imo this is just a thanks to the people that got his back at that time. Plus Mizuki calls the main character a pedo and other shit, so no, this isn't about shoving stuff down our throats.

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom