• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No hype at all for AI: The Somnium Files?

MagnesG

Banned
0 hype

DrOcPzQ.jpg

EJ8uOmH.jpg

yVHbK6c.jpg
Well that's just great isn't it? It's like she's presenting a fact lol. Literally the definition of shoving down the throats imo.

Let's not write a game off for seeing some screenshots without context. This game still has all the pervy anime trope stuff you would want from something like this. so it's somewhat depressing/amusing seeing folks here getting mad about those screen shots, as I'm sure folks on the other forum are going to see other screenshots and demand the game gets cancelled completely.

From my short play of it, its not pushing an agenda, and has plenty of heavily sexualised anime women. Some of the characters are assholes, some are "woke", some are pure evil. Don't take any one screenshot or set of dialogue as a measurement of the entire game.

It's also very good.
Maybe some brief spoilers and more contexts to mitigate this? I rather be spoiled than avoiding this game 100%. Honestly, I'm instantly turned off by the textbook projection.

trikster40

I’ve got this on my wishlist, way to backlogged right now to drop $60 on a game that’s going to sit in my shelf. I’ve got Borderlands now, Death Stranding in a month, so no time for this one yet. I’ll wait for a flash sale, that’ll happen sooner rather than later.

And while that one GIF seems just out of place, I’m sure we are missing some context. Maybe his suspect is LBGT and she’s trying to defend them? I can’t imagine those lines being said for no reason other than being woke. But it is 2019, so who knows.

Edit: Just realized this is both a game and science fiction, so I guess that line is about as truthful as a Greek god who has a boomerang axe, robot dinosaurs, and chainsaw machine guns.

Last edited:
Outright calling LBTQ people the best and loviliest to ever exist is a bit more than a *little thing* on the agenda pushing side,

Also I'm not going to cancel the developer over it, don't worry. I'm just disappointed.
(McCheese has the power to immediatly lift that disappointment of course, I'd just like a general clarification)

Yeah, I'm just a bit taken aback. If the game was getting glowing reviews I wouldn't care. But mixed reviews together with preachy, holier-than-thou dialogue... it diminishes my interest seriously because I see nothing indicating the whole game isn't like this.

MagnesG

Banned
Plus Mizuki calls the main character a pedo and other shit, so no, this isn't about shoving stuff down our throats.
Wut, this will not make it more reassuring for people. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
At the very least she's an unlikable character to interact with, the one where you want to punch them in the gut when they speak nonsense.

That's it, I'm gonna play this soon to make my judgement, it's the last chance I'm giving for this developer. Maybe, just maybe he's referring to the communities surrounding him in Japan, less entitled and acting more like normal people.

Paracelsus

The backbone part is basically comedic. Living on your terms means you do it despite what others think and what pronouns they use, it goes against everything they have been trying to do for the past 15-20 years.

E.T. Waifu

Wut, this will not make it more reassuring for people. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
At the very least she's an unlikable character to interact with, the one where you want to punch them in the gut when they speak nonsense.

That's it, I'm gonna play this soon to make my judgement, it's the last chance I'm giving for this developer. Maybe, just maybe he's referring to the communities surrounding him in Japan, less entitled and acting more like normal people.
Well no, but the point is that people are now expecting the game to be only about this thing. It's kinda like how the other site Resetera or whatever it's called misunderstood one of Catherine Full Body's endings and the internet went insane over it for some time.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well no, but the point is that people are now expecting the game to be only about this thing. It's kinda like how the other site Resetera or whatever it's called misunderstood one of Catherine Full Body's endings and the internet went insane over it for some time.
Doesn’t have to be the whole game. It can be one sentence for all I care in order to get on my “won’t be buying this” list.

The difference is that the people that the people who still had interest in Uchikoshi work (even after ZTD) would actually buy it.
None of the people "triggered" by Catherine had any interest in it in a first place.

Uchikoshi's past work, this pandering to LGBT and cringy attempts at humour doesn't exactly strikes confidence that this game is worth anyone's time.

E.T. Waifu

The difference is that the people that the people who still had interest in Uchikoshi work (even after ZTD) would actually buy it.
None of the people "triggered" by Catherine had any interest in it in a first place.

Uchikoshi's past work, this pandering to LGBT and cringy attempts at humour doesn't exactly strikes confidence that this game is worth anyone's time.
Don't let other people's opinions get in your way. I know that because after hearing certain things I was pretty much where you're right now, but I ended up playing this anyway and I'm glad I did. I haven't even finished the game yet and I'm loving every second of it. And about the humor, sure, it's not always great and some unexpected sex jokes are kind of really bad, but in general, the game's actually quite funny to me.

Reactions: Isa
Man this game looks nuts in all the right ways to me. Been watching a few vids and reading some interviews about it today. Very tempted to pick it up but I've got some other games I'm gonna buy this week so there's no point in getting it just now.

Next time I'm in the mood for a Japanese adventure it's looking like this is the one.

protonion

I managed to preorder a physical ps4 copy a while ago from amazon uk. It seems to be sold out now. Hope I get it.

I'm somewhat hyped even though I got burned by the terrible Punch Line.

Impressions seem very positive from what I've seen.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Lol at people getting upset over a blanket statement about LGBT people. What she is saying isn't entirely wrong... Mostly. Uchikoshi went from having characters talking about fictional illnesses to them screaming trans rights.

I'll get it when it's on sale.

Teslerum

Lol at people getting upset over a blanket statement about LGBT people. What she is saying isn't entirely wrong... Mostly. Uchikoshi went from having characters talking about fictional illnesses to them screaming trans rights.

I'll get it when it's on sale.

Theres a huge difference between something fictional and this. Also what?
I would highly argue that. LQBT+ aren't anymore special, kind or caring than others. Especially in the west.

I don't have anything against the odd mention (If it fits which I still think is a possiblity here). But I despise ego-trip *It's so great and flawless and...* messages.

It doesn't matter if it's "true" or not. It's one characters perspective in a game with many. What matters is how it comes across in context within the narrative. Is the character naturally eccentric and prone to exaggeration? Is the line played for laughs? Judging by the exchange on sexism it seems likely that it could be.

In any case I'm not dissuaded from playing the game based on those snippets and it's impossible to judge them properly from the clips alone.

Top Bottom