• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

brawly

Yeah, that is gameplay loop for open world gameplay that takes place outside of story missions. Quite obvious from even official footage and listening devs when they promote game.

Edit: New Zealand gets to unlock game first? Time to fire up VPN on Thursday then...

Better not lock story missions though until you clear x amounts of the map (looking at you AC Syndicate)

colin-farrell.gif
What's the problem?

Tovarisc

Better not lock story missions though until you clear x amounts of the map (looking at you AC Syndicate)

I already expect to go through city zone by zone. Going to zone A, doing open world grind until underboss for A is unlocked and then take him out => zone A is mine and I get benefits of own underboss. Rinse and repeat until all zones done. Underbosses of main antagonist are most likely very heavily tied into story progress so... yeah.

Jocund

Yeah, that is gameplay loop for open world gameplay that takes place outside of story missions. Quite obvious from even official footage and listening devs when they promote game.

Edit: New Zealand gets to unlock game first? Time to fire up VPN on Thursday then...

I don't mind that being the gameplay loop OUTSIDE of the story missions, seeing as how in previous Mafia games there simply was no loop outside of the storyline. But do we know if access to the story stuff is locked behind the racket shit? That would be disappointing if so.

EDIT: Read the above post. Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Watching that hour of footage that was posted, this "destroy stag flicks" thing looks like some of the most boring and tedious shit ever. Holy moly.

Nzyme32

Mafia 2 was bad :( didn't know that bummer

On the contrary for me, Mafia 2 and 1 for that matter, are fantastic games imo. If you go into the game all "hype" for action non-stop and open world GTA, you have picked the wrong game. Mafia 2 and 1 are linear story driven games focused on the characters and the Mafia itself rather than just straight run and gun action. Expect a lot of story, driving, dialogue / character building, some action / stealth, and a city with no side activities.

dreamfall

Have they said that partaking in the side activities is mandatory? I mean if it's too mundane or repetitive isn't there an option to not complete some of the open world tasks and just progress through the story?

After the barren world of Empire Bay was supplanted with meaningless filler missions in the DLC, I like that they've interwoven some of the more mundane activities with explorable open world interiors. I'm looking forward to just taking over a lot of the map, at a slow pace alongside the story.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've never played a Mafia game before. Can anyone answer a few questions about Mafia 3? I was thinking about getting it?

Is it basically just a GTA clone? I have to admit, I've grown weary of all the GTA clones, and I really didn't find Watch Dogs all that great. I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but I did regret spending full price on it at launch. I just found it ok.

Anything set it apart from those types of games?

Debating on whether or not I should wait for a Black Friday deal or pick this up at launch.

Corpekata

Banned
From what I can gather you need to kill certain mob bosses in order to progress the story, and in order to draw them out of hiding you'll need to fuck up their territory, which is going to include side missions. Think how in Shadow of Mordor you had to draw out the warchiefs by doing certain things, except on a likely larger scale.

dreamfall

I've never played a Mafia game before. Can anyone answer a few questions about Mafia 3? I was thinking about getting it?

Is it basically just a GTA clone? I have to admit, I've grown weary of all the GTA clones, and I really didn't find Watch Dogs all that great. I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but I did regret spending full price on it at launch. I just found it ok.

Debating on whether or not I should wait for a Black Friday deal or pick this up at launch.

You're entering the series at a very interesting juncture - Mafia 3 is the first game in the series to go in a fully open world direction. With the Mafia games you get some great narrative and characterization and some solid set piece shootouts and missions. You also get a distinct sense of time and place, because these games really embrace the atmosphere of the era they're set in.The car handling in Mafia 2 also was pretty wonderful.

Are you getting a GTA clone? Not entirely, but this title definitely moving in the direction more of Assassin's Creed Syndicate - District takeover and gang bosses to eliminate. Probably a really good story, and a real attempt for these devs and writers to tackle a time period that's never been done in videogames with a Black lead. It's an exciting time.

Mafia 1 was a little clanky technically but was amazing. Like a realistic GTA, and something frustrating but i loved it (damn this racing mission!!!!).
Mafia 2 was, for me, a big deception since it was way more "arcady", so what was the point ?
I think Mafia III will be as "arcady" but may be better if the story is strong and the gameplay emergent. I believe the story could be strong but i am a little afraid about the gameplay.

Corpekata

Banned
Each of the Mafia games is shaping up to very different really. 1 is sort of a proto-GTA style game but a lot more grounded. 2 was a mainly linear shooter with some driving through an empty world. This one's looking like more of a GTA style game than the others. Though I suppose San Andreas GTA style with the taking over territory concepts from that one.

1 and 2 both had a strong story focus that made it different from others in the genre. Remains to be seen with 3.

heringer

Each of the Mafia games is shaping up to very different really. 1 is sort of a proto-GTA style game but a lot more grounded. 2 was a mainly linear shooter with some driving through an empty world. This one's looking like more of a GTA style game than the others. Though I suppose San Andreas GTA style with the taking over territory concepts from that one.

1 and 2 both had a strong story focus that made it different from others in the genre. Remains to be seen with 3.

I don't think 1 and 2 are very different. The structure is pretty much exactly the same in both games. Difference is in the quality.

From what I can gather you need to kill certain mob bosses in order to progress the story, and in order to draw them out of hiding you'll need to fuck up their territory, which is going to include side missions. Think how in Shadow of Mordor you had to draw out the warchiefs by doing certain things, except on a likely larger scale.
I don't think there's a problem with the idea of "drawing bosses out of hiding." I'm worried that their execution is going to be extremely tedious and utterly boring to do though.

Dabanton

Gonna be a wait and see with me. I can afford the game but it's the time element that's more important to me nowadays.

Hate wasting my gaming time on potential janky rubbish. So will wait for real impressions after a week or two. When the honeymoon period is over and people are less swayed by hype.

Gbraga

At least the boring things you do to unlock the boss encounter should be different across districts, I'm hoping.

I'm still definitely interested in the game, just because the premise of the story, the main character's background and the setting all seem fantastic to me, but yeah, I can't help but feel seriously disappointed at the more "open world" game design approach that 3 is taking.

I feel like I'll enjoy remembering and talking about 3 more than actually playing it, which is a shame.

I don't think there's a problem with the idea of "drawing bosses out of hiding." I'm worried that their execution is going to be extremely tedious and utterly boring to do though.

Even the idea itself isn't that good, imo. The repetitive nature of the progress structure is already boring in itself. It would be more interesting if different bosses had different gameplay loops involved with them. Maybe one of them was super confident and you need to do enough damage to get them to show themselves, another one you'd get closer to by working with, and then kill them when the time is right. Yet another boss could just have their own schedule throughout the city, and you could find and kill them at any place they could be at any given time, or even in between those places, on the streets. It would already make things more interesting than "do side stuff while you look at a damage meter to see how close you are to unlocking the meaningful content". Even if the side stuff is actually fun, it would get tiresome to go through the exact same process a bunch of times.

Even the idea itself isn't that good, imo. The repetitive nature of the progress structure is already boring in itself. It would be more interesting if different bosses had different gameplay loops involved with them. Maybe one of them was super confident and you need to do enough damage to get them to show themselves, another one you'd get closer to by working with, and then kill them when the time is right. Yet another boss could just have their own schedule throughout the city, and you could find and kill them at any place they could be at any given time, or even in between those places, on the streets. It would already make things more interesting than "do side stuff while you look at a damage meter to see how close you are to unlocking the meaningful content". Even if the side stuff is actually fun, it would get tiresome to go through the exact same process a bunch of times.
Fair point. It would be much more interesting if each boss had a different way to get him rather than what seems to just be a property damage counter. SoM at least added some variation to each warchief having different weaknesses and strengths. I wonder if these bosses in Mafia will even have that.

Buzzati

Banned
I can't wait to play a black man and kill white racists. I'm white myself btw. I seriously preordered this game because I want more games with diverse protagonists and themes that offend racists. If it ends up being glitchy/buggy(more than that normal open world jank), I still hope it is successful for this reason alone.

Diverse, haha. These games indulge in the most stereotypical characterizations ever.

admartian

Friday releases are the best releases

If only it was the Friday before rather than the Friday after... But I suppose even if it was the Friday before we'd be like 'Why isn't it the Tuesday before'... Then we'd be stuck in a Friday>Tuesday>Friday timeloop
Calm down timelord.

Gbraga

Fair point. It would be much more interesting if each boss had a different way to get him rather than what seems to just be a property damage counter. SoM at least added some variation to each warchief having different weaknesses and strengths. I wonder if these bosses in Mafia will even have that.

At least one thing is definitely returning as a series' staple: A bunch of indoors environments. That is so cool, and gave missions a much more unique feel to them. It's great to see that apparently having a bunch of open world stuff to do didn't negatively impact their ability to have more fully explorable interiors than your average open world.

Tovarisc

At least one thing is definitely returning as a series' staple: A bunch of indoors environments. That is so cool, and gave missions a much more unique feel to them. It's great to see that apparently having a bunch of open world stuff to do didn't negatively impact their ability to have more fully explorable interiors than your average open world.

I can see interiors being next step open world games take. Maybe reduce overall size of the world from e.g. GTAV's size, but add a lot interiors you can freely explore. From shags to multi-floor buildings.

The interior combat is the no. 1 reason I want this. The video of Lincoln making his way through that office building is what solidified my purchase. I hope there's a lot of that.

Gbraga

I can see interiors being next step open world games take. Maybe reduce overall size of the world from e.g. GTAV's size, but add a lot interiors you can freely explore. From shags to multi-floor buildings.

This is exactly what I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 will do. The setting doesn't really land itself to vast fields like The Witcher does, so if they want to match or surpass the size of Wild Hunt, having big ass interiors in one reasonably sized city is the way to go.

The interior combat is the no. 1 reason I want this. The video of Lincoln making his way through that office building is what solidified my purchase. I hope there's a lot of that.

Yeah, it's something that will set it apart from other similar games, no matter how generic the game's structure might be.

So currently it's Wednesday 5th October, 11.45AM.

On the steam page it shows this:

dvSaVLC.jpg

2 days would make it the 7th.

:shrugs:

Fine by me!

I'm on the fence regarding this game. On one hand, I really like the setting and the theme they are trying to tackle, but on the other hand, I really hate the open world GTA style.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
An hour's worth of footage from my recent visit to 2K's office:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muJwNAB1eo

FF to 21:50 for my favorite "fight"

The AI man, enemies just stand there talking not investigating or even fighting back sometimes, does it hurt the gameplay as much as I'm assuming it does from the video? They just seem so dumb and it's distracting as hell.

Also this is the most boring Mafia III has looked so far, it seems to be 70% finished, I wish they had delayed it honestly.

Tovarisc

yeeeea boooi! I'll let you all know from futureland how it is. Let's hope I don't alter the timeline by doing so...

I just fire up VPN and play 10h before my local release ;b Also as long you aren't Barry Allen we should be good, he can't help himself when it comes to messing with time.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I just fire up VPN and play 10h before my local release ;b Also as long you aren't Barry Allen we should be good, he can't help himself when it comes to messing with time.
Ugh, speaking of Barry Allen, that was a disappointingly rushed take on Flashpoint.

Tovarisc

Ugh, speaking of Barry Allen, that was a disappointingly rushed take on Flashpoint.

I heard it's 1-2 episodes from beginning of the season so they can get it dealt with, I imagine they won't waste time with bringing Supergirl references into Flash and Arrow either. But agreed that it's shame how fast they deal with Flashpoint after basically whole last half of previous season building into this, what could have been, large storyline.

Will watch Flash's season opener later today.

Jocund

Hate this bullshit where games are delayed to reviewers.

Here's hoping they have a bonus in place for good review scores, but it doesn't pass that score.

Yeah, because withholding review copies is always the developer's idea! That'll learn 'em.

Top Bottom