• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky’s turnaround is a bunch of bs pr nonsense

VertigoOA

Banned
No Mans Sky fictional turnaround is a groupthink lie spread throughout the gaming echo chamber that the game had some great turnaround that other games should look at it when trying to “fix” these games to find success. Comparing it to games that have always been more successful than it to begin with.

It’s a great example at failure when it has no players

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I think you are missing the point, nobody is referring to its popularity. Plus why would your enjoyment of the game even be affected by ita popularity?

Also who is even talking about No Mans Sky that this is even relevant? Lol

I think you’re missing the point about online games

its popularity is what supports the amount of content it will get, that it needs... and not going out of business while trying to make it all. Its popularity is the most accurate metric if people actually think it’s good or not... because they would actually be playing it. Not... not playing it.

Ark is a bigger success story.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Oh, look... can’t add to discussion and targets op.

Good job at being a bitch. I raw dogged your mom last night. I’m good

You hated no man sky

heres let me show you every mans dream

images

Last edited:
Oh, look... can’t add to discussion and targets op.

Good job at being a bitch. I raw dogged your mom last night. I’m good
No mans sky actually adds NEW content rather than recycling the same old shit like Destiny 2.

It has become really plain that all you care about a game are the number of people playing it rather than the quality of its content.

Go enjoy that stupid shit you like and stop worrying about the stupid shit other people like.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
No mans sky actually adds NEW content rather than recycling the same old shit like Destiny 2. It has become really plain that all you care about a game are the number of people playing it rather than the quality of its content. Go enjoy that stupid shit you like and stop worrying about the stupid shit other people like.

Good try. Still fail tho. Destiny is legitimately a great game.

when every game from fallout to anthem has the youtube echo chamber citing no mans sky on how to turnaround a game is false.

final fantasy has done it. No mans sky has not.

Last edited:

Tomeru

its popularity is what supports the amount of content it will get, that it needs... and not going out of business while trying to make it all. Its popularity is the most accurate metric if people actually think it’s good or not... because they would actually be playing it. Not... not playing it.

NMS got a huge amount of content added though?

lyan

Except NMS wasn't even an online game to begin with lol

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What a dumb thread. NMS is absolutely one of the greatest turnarounds in gaming. If NMS was from a major publisher it would have been dumped like a turd. Instead, HG has spent years updating and adding content at no additional cost to the consumer. They have made right with the game in my book.

VertigoOA

Banned
What a dumb thread. NMS is absolutely one of the greatest turnarounds in gaming. If NMS was from a major publisher it would have been dumped like a turd. Instead, HG has spent years updating and adding content at no additional cost to the consumer. They have made right with the game in my book.

And that’s just pr.

The results of it is a title that players still did not embrace.

so any time someone wants to say that and use it as an example of what x game should do to make things right... no, they should not.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
And that’s just pr.

The results of it is a title that players still did not embrace.

so any time someone wants to say that and use it as an example of what x game should do to make things right... no, they should not.
What PR? They have only announced when they had some new content or updates to the game. The game is what it is, and many people enjoy it.

Grinchy

Banned
Where is FF14 "charting?" I'm trying to get an idea of your personal criteria for when people are allowed to use the phrase "turnaround."

VertigoOA

Banned
What PR? They have only announced when they had some new content or updates to the game. The game is what it is, and many people enjoy it.

they’ve done right to fix their brand. That is indeed commendable.

You won’t see me ripping on the quality of the game or what enjoyment it offers its players.

However, with all their effort put into improving their vision for the game... which is intended to continuously be built on... It needs the players to do so and to do so all the time.

they’ve yet to accomplish that so I can’t say it’s the example at a turn around and finding success.

Flintty

Liking and quoting for truth. The numbers don’t matter. The improvements to the game do, and that’s what people mean by ‘doing a NMS’.

VertigoOA

Banned
Where is FF14 "charting?" I'm trying to get an idea of your personal criteria for when people are allowed to use the phrase "turnaround."

ff14 isn’t really in my criteria... I’m not pining for the game but subscriber counts are probably still strong vs its Modern competitors.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
But, technically you’re still wrong OP. It does see a bump in player count every time a new major update happens. If the game was abandoned like you claim, you wouldn’t see a bump at all.

Furthermore, putting it on the same level as FF14 in terms of online presence is a bit apples and oranges. FF14 is an mmo that people pay an online subscription for. NMS is not quite the same thing. It’s... kind of it’s own thing.

Grinchy

Banned
ff14 isn’t really in my criteria... I’m not pining for the game but subscriber counts are probably still strong vs its Modern competitors.
What? Read your own OP. You said that NMS can't be called a turnaround the way FF14 can because NMS isn't "charting anywhere."

Where is FF14 "charting?"

VertigoOA

Banned
lol why so mad OP?

No Mans Sky got some impressive upgrades, the multiplayer, the VR compatibility and so on, don't know why you are so upset.

If you don't care about the game, fine, but saying it did not improve is blatant bs.

I never shit on the game anywhere. I just find it to be a flawed example.

All these games improve. All these developers try to rework and continue to build on them. From Destiny, Warframe, rust, pubg, etc... That’s the point of a “live-service” game. They improve in time with player feedback.

Look at any recent anthem thread, anywhere... pull a no mans sky is a common response...

And still not have the player base needed? The game will just die

vkbest

All these games improve. All these developers try to rework and continue to build on them. From Destiny, Warframe, rust, pubg, etc... That’s the point of a “live-service” game. They improve in time with player feedback.

Yeah, but no mans sky is not a live service game, and they improved the game massively

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the game still sucks (imo) but i really can't deny how much it has improved since launch. i will give Hello Games credit where it is due. they could've ran for the hills with bags full of money and never be heard from again but instead they have stuck by their game and improved it. they also did this without asking for any money. all the patches have been free. with the amount of changes and new content some of those patches included many others would have charged for it.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I never shit on the game anywhere. I just find it to be a flawed example.

Look at any recent anthem thread, anywhere... pull a no mans sky is a common response...

And still not have the player base needed? The game will just die
But No Man’s Sky doesn’t rely on player base nearly as much as some of these other games.

I think what they mean is a game that devs didn’t give up on despite strong negative backlash from the community. Player count DID go way up after the first two big updates. But you’re talking about a game that is not that strong on the MMO stuff that came out like what 3 years ago now?

Its clear it keeps getting brought as an example of added content and value long after people thought it was dead.

buizel

Banned
It's a much much better game than at launch that's for damn but i think it was too late and word of mouth probably just shut sales down and even now it's still $60 .
You've been able to buy it from a few months after launch to today for about $15 second hand everywhere. Great game, so much fun and content and enjoyment playing multiplayer

Kadayi

Banned
Lack of waifu material in NMS is clearly upsetting to OP.

Sean needs to got on the case making a NMS Mass Effect DLC tie in so some Asari action can take place

Tomma19

Neo Member
I keep hearing how x game should pull a FF14 or No Man’s Sky turnaround.

that is true for only ff14.

no mans sky is charting nowhere... is it on steam... where? Xbox most played list? Nowhere.

that narrative is bullshit

What? Do you even know what you're saying. The main narrative of No Mans Sky's turnaround what the fact that THE GAME ITSELF dramatically improved....aka the playing experience became more of what was initially promised (and then some). How that is supposed to be tied in to popularity and sales.......baffles me. You missed your shot this time bud.

Thaedolus

If anything No Man's Sky's turnaround is much more impressive than a massive company like Square botching the launch of a mainline game in their biggest franchise. A tiny studio fixed pretty much all the issues and could've stopped there but then goes ahead and throws in VR mode, and it's all free. OP needs to find another cloud to yell at.

Impotaku

Can't think of many games that dropped a whole new mode that allows you to play the entire game in VR, they could have easily charged for the VR but they gave it away for free. I never played the vanilla NMS as i jumped on at the beyond update point but the content they added was fantastic, i can totally see why people congratulate them because the VR mode alone is a whole game in itself and been inside a ship in VR as you fly around space landing on planets is amazing.

As for final fantasy after the clusterfuck of 13 i'll never ever touch another one.

Top Bottom