• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky celebrates its 7th Anniversary with its largest update of the year: Echoes

Draugoth

Gold Member
c8304479bd6399ec06d1df408a07349de16e82bf.jpeg

New robot race

In Echoes, travelers will discover a never-before-seen, long-hidden race of robots with rich new story content–engaging in robot assignments and rituals to earn a huge array of mechanical parts to create their own robotic avatar.

New pirate freighters bring huge space battles to the universe. Defend fleets from pirates. Fly through enemy trenches to sabotage their shields, and destroy them!

Players can search out and assemble their own sci-fi ceremonial staff. Level these up with unique technology to mine and battle your way through the universe.

Travelers can now search for, trade, and scrap weapons, allowing players to become Multi-tool scrap merchants. Travelers can also choose from a wider array of weapons and tools, including the staff and a new powerful Atlas weapon.

Chronicle your journey

This year we introduced the ability to store a catalog of player’s most wondrous discoveries. A new holographic museum allows you to decorate and display your favorite weird and wonderful discoveries in your base for others to visit and see.

The Voyagers expedition starts soon for the adventurers who seek to explore the universe and catalog its marvels. Together with a Twitch Drops campaign this brings a host of new content and rewards for players.

Improved quality dynamics on PS VR2

Rendering quality, stability and performance has improved across the board in this update. In particular, for PS VR2 players, foveated rendering brings a large quality improvement throughout the game. Whether you’re standing on a vista overlooking a planetary landscape, or marveling at the beauty and expanse of the solar system, the virtual universe has never looked better.

These are just a few of the things that PlayStation players can look forward to when diving into the Echoes update today.

It has already been a pretty busy year for the small No Man’s Sky team with the launch of the Fractal and Interceptor updates, along with the major Singularity expedition. Fittingly Echoes marks our 7th anniversary by making our universe more exciting, dangerous and interesting to explore. No Man’s Sky Echoes is out now on PS5, PS4, PS VR2, and PS VR.

Last edited:

Red5

I finished it on launch, it was a good if a bit barebones game. Did they add any voiced characters and narrated quests in the updates that followed? Might encourage me to do another playthrough.

Last edited:
I finished it on launch, it was a good if a bit barebones game. Did they add any voiced characters and narrated quests in the updates that followed? Might encourage me to do another playthrough.
No voices outside of the regular NPC dialogue. They basically make noises and have subtitles like a Nintendo game. But they did eventually animate them to walk around the space stations.

I just feel like there is always something missing. Which is why I'm excited for Starfield.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The fact that they have made all the updates free is a massive kudos to the developers.

But you gotta wonder, what else they could have been working on all these years if NMS launched in a better state and the developers didn't have to deal with it for years to come.

Roxkis_ii

Man, with this, Destiny 2 letting people play the Witch Queen Campain free this weekend and my crippling Diablo 4 addiction. I feel like I need to clone myself to play all these games and not miss out.

Also, if you haven't played No man sky in a while, you owe it to yourself to start a new save. They have added so much content to the game, it's ridiculous. Nms is the best comeback story in gaming.

Last edited:

Aenima

The game is totally diferent now than it was when it launched. They changed alot of stuff, removed some mechanics and replaced them with better ones, and added so much content that starting a new game now is like playing a complete diferent game.

I also played the game when it launched and finished all the main content, then came back to the game when they added land vehicles and base building, then after some hundred hours on that droped it and just tried it back again on PS5 with the next gen update and the game was totally diferent

Eotheod

Is the main game mechanic loop still hold laser at item, harvest and repeat? Have they revamped the combat mechanics to not feel super floaty and actually have some weight to it?

Aenima

Is the main game mechanic loop still hold laser at item, harvest and repeat? Have they revamped the combat mechanics to not feel super floaty and actually have some weight to it?
Last time i tried the combat still felt the same, but main game loop is not mining stuff anymore. Also when u do need to mine a resorce u get huge chuncks of that resorce very fast istead of the slow mining from launch. Now thers NPC that gives u quests and rewards for completing them, so last time i played the game i started a new game mode where the loop was focused in exploration and doing quests with various objectives.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think any other game in history has been updated like this with significant expansions again and again, for almost a decade, all completely free.

Brigandier

I wish I had the space for VR I had to return it as I don't have a suitable play space and whilst sat playing some games I felt like I was always looking up... Shame as I really wanted to play this game I bet some planets with Dino's etc feel really immersive.

Last edited:

nashman

Oh shit added fovated rendering to the PSVR2 mode damn! Great news I had all but given up hope that the resolution would be fixed! LFG!

Rockondevil

They've gone so far with this game.
I've played it on and off over the years, but last year gave it a good run and did the whole centre of the universe thing and what not which was quite fun while it lasted.

It's obviously still making them money otherwise they wouldn't keep updating it this long after, and good on them for getting there.

KiteGr

People still play this eh? Well I supposed Sean Murray is exonerated then lol.
Quite a lot actually...
The often and very big updates bring back a lot of people and it now has a crap ton of content.
There is so much now, that you get lost on all the things to do, and much of the earlier updates like the vehicles have become obsolete.
The limited time "Expeditions" also make people make alts, as they are essensialy new characters created to work under a diferent set of rules, mechanics and obgectives until they finish the expedition's story, where they become a normal player having unlocked the expedition's goodies.

The game reached where it should have been acceptable at launch with the "Next" (4rth) major update, and currently we are on the FUCKING 24rth. (counting only the major named content updates and not small hot fixes, suports for other platforms or seasonal events)

I would say, it deserves it's redemption.

My few gripes with the current situation is that they kind of overdid it with the stuff they hand you out.
  • They inventory for a single resource is now almost unlimited (with some exeptions) for all the amount it can fit in a single slot, and having each inventory space essensialy becomes just a new type of resource you can carry at a time, whether it's just 1 or 9999 of it.
  • Also the game handing you a whole fucking massive fraighter for free 4 hours into a playthrough, crew and a small fleet of frigates included, feels kind of an overkill for some lone unknown cosmonaut who just awoke pennyless and half dead into an unknown galaxy.
  • Finally, I realy wish this game had some sort of voice acting. I understand that most stuff are procedurally generated, but I with the 3 major languages being compromised from specific words you can individually learn and the AI being where it is today, I don't think it'll be hard for someone to record individually the 200 something words each race use.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ahh, finally I will be able to play this on PSVR 2 without it looking like someone smeared vaseline on the lenses. Gonna give this a try later.

Top Bottom