• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

mokeyjoe

Looks like a good update, with more stuff to do, which is nice.

Not seeing much of a change in fauna just yet, and that's probably my biggest hope. I guess they want to leave that stuff discoverable though. Also forests would be nice. And rivers and stuff...

Not sure if I'd want to start a new game though. All that progress...

I never made it to the center and torn if I want to reset everything for the new game or hold off updating until I do.

This is assuming everything gets reset and there's no separate mode between vanilla and new content...

Let's just say that you're better off not going to the center before the update... :)

Lgndryhr

This is 39.99 or 31.99 with GCU for PS4 at Best Buy. They also have the special edition for 59.99 or 47.99 with GCU for PS4 as well.

Not seeing much of a change in fauna just yet, and that's probably my biggest hope. I guess they want to leave that stuff discoverable though. Also forests would be nice. And rivers and stuff...

Well, this is based on a diplo body, but I've never seen a head like this:
0lvydeY.jpg

And the fauna has definitely changed, like those glowy plants on the hexagonal terrain world.

In terms of the most hype nights I've had in gaming, tonight is up there for me. This has been incredible, and it's awesome to see so many other people as enthusiastic as I am.

In terms of the most hype nights I've had in gaming, tonight is up there for me. This has been incredible, and it's awesome to see so many other people as enthusiastic as I am.

I'm hype. I don't think I've posted in here, but I think I'ma double dip on PC. This game is becoming something special.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm very hype as well. I've always believed NMS was a *decent* game...I'm glad they're still adding so so much and making it what they've always wanted to be.

mokeyjoe

Well, this is based on a diplo body, but I've never seen a head like this:

And the fauna has definitely changed, like those glowy plants on the hexagonal terrain world.

Yes, new parts. I think what I meant was I want to see more :)

The hexagon world is rather intriguing. I wonder how many new biome types there are.

Also cymatygen and frost crystals mentioned in that pic - so yet more new resources.

Hmmm. These leaks look like 1.3 (on top of everything added with the previous updates) is finally correcting everything I wanted to see before I was willing to buy the game. Finally living up to the promises.

I think I'm going to be hitting up that Humble sale.

mokeyjoe

Neither have I, but a quick google search got me a picture of an identical creature (always a bummer when that happens).

I've totally seen that head, just not on a diplo.

Maybe they haven't updated the fauna then. Although those little bipedal guys look unusual. Difficult to tell in this game though, lol.

Neither have I, but a quick google search got me a picture of an identical creature (always a bummer when that happens).

Boo. Funny how that still happens even after playing 100+ hours.

If they've changed the flora, I'm sure they've added to the fauna as well though.

mokeyjoe

Boo. Funny how that still happens even after playing 100+ hours.

If they've changed the flora, I'm sure they've added to the fauna as well though.

Could have done, but then that could still be for a future update still.

It's weird that it's an absolutely identical creature to that one from the Galactic Hub though. I mean, it really is the same one.

the interesting part in that diplo screenshot compared to the galactic hub one is that the skin texture of the diplo seems higher in the HUD screenshot.

Oh yeah. Even where things look the same terrain wise, there seems to be a big texture bump.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Update looks neat. Still sad there's only 3 aliens. It really pisses me off. There's just sooo much diversity between individual Geks and Vykeens, they coulda had a 100 or so individual species with just those 2 body types, and the aliens would still be more varied than anything we've seen in Star Trek. Make a few more body types and bodyparts (and a few exotic, imagine a random alien with a humanoid body and this head:
3gG0Z8L.png
) and you'd have a galaxy with thousands upon thousands of individual alien species!

But with what we actually got in the update, I'm really curious what "New exploration mechanics" and "new worlds" means (if one of the new worlds is a sand world, it'll finally end that saga)! Interstellar Trading sounds intriguing, but I want to know how it works first. Updated terrain sounds super nifty. I'm not too keen on missions, but that's me (I don't do missions in Elite really, I spend 98% of my time outside of the bubble exploring). It's exceptionally neat to see crashed freighters, I hope they're just cool scenery and not like the crashed ships. I'm not a multiplayer person so if that's what "joint exploration" is, it won't matter much for me, but it's sure to make TONS of people happy. Jeepers.

Shame I'm away from my PS4 for another week, cause this all sounds fucking awesome.
My guess is that the "Joint exploration" is some kind of asynchronous multiplayer feature, with community driven objectives, like the ARG.

I'm prepping for the update, and I decided to scrap the entirety of my farm and the majority of my base; liquidize the assets in case I need cash for the new entry. I had $125 million or so, and after harvesting my crop of albumen pearls, and slowly dismantling a 6-story glass-enclosed farming warehouse with over 100 plants, I made around $30 million more. Sold off almost everything except the Rigogen, because I don't want to spend 20 hours underwater again farming that nonsense; now I have a freighter with 4,000 units of the stuff. I also have over 20,000 units of Thamium, because, why not? I was running out of storage while dismantling everything so I ended up selling off over 50,000 units of Iron. Took a long time to break everything down... even longer to acquire it all in the first place. I hope I didn't just fuck myself....

But with near $155 million in the bank, I guess I should be OK for a spell. Bring on the update!

Gleethor

I hope we eventually get the smoother space to surface transitions seen in those early trailers, such as in the Galaxy trailer. Perhaps it's just not possible but I can still hope.
Nah I prefer the longer one we have. Entering a planet's atmosphere shouldn't happen in a blink of an eye. I remember that being one of the only things that bothered me in the early trailers

Nah I prefer the longer one we have. Entering a planet's atmosphere shouldn't happen in a blink of an eye. I remember that being one of the only things that bothered me in the early trailers

I'd take even longer planet entries if that meant we got taller mountains. One of the HG devs at GDC said that their mountains have a max height of 1km. A bit on the small side compared to many Earth mountains, let alone Mars's Olympus Mons at 22km.

c0Zm1c

What I meant is I hope they can smooth out the transitions visually. What we have now, with tiles expanding outwards and popping in increasing detail as we descend gradually towards a planet's surface, looks incredibly ugly.

And it's perfect. I've always wanted a colorful vibrant Elite Dangerous where I can freaking walk around.

Yeah. Elite is a sim that focuses on space with some planet stuff. NMS is more "arcady" for lack of a better term, and focuses on planets with some space stuff. Two sides of the same coin. And neither one of them is a complete game. They can live alongside each other happily in glorified Beta-tude.

100%.
Between this, the map, and talk of interstellar economies, it's like Murray finally played Elite and went "shit, this is how we should have done this."

I don't think that's quite fair. Elite's team is what...10 times bigger? HG did as much as they could for launch and still ran out of money. I'm not saying they aren't looking at what other people are doing, they obviously are, but they probably wanted to improve on things like the economy all along. And hey, if it's a good feature, I don't mind if they borrow ideas.

I wonder if I shouldnt have restarted tonight and waited until tomorrow? All I did was make it off the first planet.

Considering they reworked the whole storyline and are apparently doing a reset on the galaxy, maybe.

MattAces

I don't think that's quite fair. Elite's team is what...10 times bigger? HG did as much as they could for launch and still ran out of money. I'm not saying they aren't looking at what other people are doing, they obviously are, but they probably wanted to improve on things like the economy all along. And hey, if it's a good feature, I don't mind if they borrow ideas.

Oh god, those are literally the features that I've always thought, what if NMS borrowed these ideas from Elite, would've been perfect! And now it looks like it's happening. I just hope that those mission rewards or items will be put into a good use, whether it's to upgrade ship or do something else meaningful. That was my main problem with Elite, whatever mission you do felt insignificant and pointless aside from saving money for a bigger ship.

This game has been one of the most amazing journeys to me. From the hype, the crushing disappointment, to the conspiracy theories of the portal subreddit, the amazing ARG (clearly inspired by the portal tinfoil hats) and now this.

I have had the time of my life, with all the ups and downs. And NMS is one of my favorite games, just the way it is. Cannot wait to play some more.

Oh god, those are literally the features that I've always thought, what if NMS borrowed these ideas from Elite, would've been perfect! And now it looks like it's happening. I just hope that those mission rewards or items will be put into a good use, whether it's to upgrade ship or do something else meaningful. That was my main problem with Elite, whatever mission you do felt insignificant and pointless aside from saving money for a bigger ship.

Oh yeah, I've never played Elite, but this update is like a checklist of ideas I've wanted implemented and feature improvements to NMS. They really have been listening to what we wanted.

Top Bottom