• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inviusx

Has the giant sand worm been shown or referenced outside of the original reveal trailer?

*EDIT*

Looks like the last time it was seen was the official website putting up a screenshot of the creature in June 2015.

So technically as of just over 12 months ago it was in the game.

OCD Guy

The main issue is this game was built around discovery.

Sean's PR has focused on mystery, vagueness and possibility. Like a virtual carrot for people to find.

His vagueness isn't a mistake. It's on purpose to provide an incentive for people to play.

Comments before launch such as meeting a player is possible but unlikely was incentive for example. Or finding large interesting creatures being extremely rare, so that it gives people incentive to keep exploring just incase.....

What is happening now though is people are discovering that it's just smoke and mirrors....

This creature Must Be This Tall for me to enjoy this game

It's not that. Its that the trailer showed a kind of ecosystem where larger, aggressive creatures hunted and chased their prey, and that the herbivore prey moved as a herd and responded to the threat of the hunter creature.

That's not in the game, by any stretch of the imagination, and is my biggest disappointment with the game. How cool it would've been to watch these massive dinosaurs chasing and preying on smaller fodder creatures, watching their behaviour and movement, like it was shown in the trailer. What we got is extremely basic creature AI with no lifelike patterns or hierarchy of predators>prey etc.

Moreche

I really,really want to enjoy this game but the trailers have definitely misled me.
Discovery is useless when everything looks similar. The buildings, inside space stations, etc.
The trailers make it look as if every planet that has creatures have a natural ecosystem habited or unhabited that should make it look you are the visitor.
I'm not seeing of feeling that.
This should have been an indie game that launched last year with far less funfair and ambitious promises.

I'm sure that datamining will reveal all. But a huge sample size is not anecdotal. Do you know what that means?
I'm not defending the game nor do I have a horse in this race but the things that are being questioned are supposedly super rare, correct? Like close to zero probability. Sample space really doesn't make a difference at that point. I can take a hundred different samples of 1000 people and if I get zero it's still expected because your probability is .000001. Again I don't know what th individual probabilities of these events are but nothing so far, especially with the large animal thing i don't think proves anything. The online I do thing something is up with.

I'm not defending the game nor do I have a horse in this race but the things that are being questioned are supposedly super rare, correct? Like close to zero probability. Sample space really doesn't make a difference at that point. I can take a hundred different samples of 1000 people and if I get zero it's still expected because your probability is .000001. Again I don't know what th individual probabilities of these events are but nothing so far, especially with the large animal thing i don't think proves anything. The online I do thing something is up with.

Yes, it has to be super rare, if it is in the game, because not one person has come across the huge creatures featured in the trailer.

The sample size is not 1000 people, it is the amount of people playing the game. (and have access to the internet, which I assume is the vast majority)

Audioboxer

Has the giant sand worm been shown or referenced outside of the original reveal trailer?

*EDIT*

Looks like the last time it was seen was the official website putting up a screenshot of the creature in June 2015.

So technically as of just over 12 months ago it was in the game.

I don't think so.

Most likely they didn't programme the physics necessary for the burrowing/sand.

Considering the game hasn't been able to handle water physics as is, sand/complex deformation of ground seems like a no-go right now.

Tovarisc

PC version doesn't launch for a few hours.

29 hours or so if we want split hairs :D

Yes, it has to be super rare, if it is in the game, because not one person has come across the huge creatures featured in the trailer.

The sample size is not 1000 people, it is the amount of people playing the game. (and have access to the internet, which I assume is the vast majority)

And every single of them has submitted data to some poll that you have access to?

What is happening now though is people are discovering that it's just smoke and mirrors....

I have no sympathy. Never understood why people were treating this game like the second coming in the first place. Just lapped up the PR and scripted trailers like they were going out of fashion.

Goldmund

We've reached a stage where some defenders of the game dispute other people's capacity to make an induction to deny them their disappointment. It doesn't matter how big the number is if we are seemingly able to generalize the steps leading from any one point to another, be it from 1 to 2, or from 1 to 2^64. It's not impossible that some of the features shown in the marketing material is still in there, but it's now safer to assume that they're not than to assume that they are, no matter how many (or few) planets could possibly have been already visited.

Shari

The main issue is this game was built around discovery.

Sean's PR has focused on mystery, vagueness and possibility. Like a virtual carrot for people to find.

His vagueness isn't a mistake. It's on purpose to provide an incentive for people to play.

Comments before launch such as meeting a player is possible but unlikely was incentive for example. Or finding large interesting creatures being extremely rare, so that it gives people incentive to keep exploring just incase.....

If it was my call I'll put this in the OP. Perfect summary.

For the record its completely possible to enjoy the game while admitting a lack of promised, hinted at, or implied features, and was marketed irresponsibly.

You dont have to "choose a side" here.

And every single of them has submitted data to some poll that you have access to?

Again, if they found out a one in a billion event it is exceedingly likely they'd post about it somewhere. And if you have ever been on the internet, you know that word about extraordinary events spreads fast among those who care.

Honestly, you are puprosfolly pretending to not understand what I am saying.

Comparable to this trailer creature size?

CpdraYhXYAAGhuC.jpg:large

I had a hard time capturing the scale of this thing but I could see it being comparable in size.

I saw it from quite a distance away. Those weird looking plants surrounding it are taller than the pilot.

OCD Guy

I have no sympathy. Never understood why people were treating this game like the second coming in the first place. Just lapped up the PR and scripted trailers like they were going out of fashion.

The main thing people were excited for was the endless possibilities that procedural generation would provide.

The fancy action packed trailers with cool space fights, massive creatures, and varied environments really added to it.

Imagine exploring so many cool planets, while trying to gather resources while surviving against a wide variety of creatures. We're never going to get bored because there's so much variety.....

What we've gotten is janky controls, a survival mechanic that is actually annoying, uninteresting planets, and creature's with crappy a.i.

I had a hard time capturing the scale of this thing but I could see it being comparable in size.

I saw it from quite a distance away. Those weird looking plants surrounding it are taller than the pilot.

Seems much smaller to me. And I don't see how this picture is from far away considering the FOV, the angle and the fact that the picture isn't cropped.

Sheesh! At least mine had some cuteness too it lol I'd have killed that on instinct

Seems much smaller to me. And I don't see how this picture is from far away considering the FOV, the angle and the fact that the picture isn't cropped.
O come on now

Biggest disappointment to me is the ship combat aspects (judging from reviews). Only the most basic dogfighting mechanics, only two types of weapons (no missiles or countermeasures), no management of shield or energy and other ships are just... there, not doing anything like trading or exploring, just there. They probably don't even have a bounty system for you to capture specific targets.

I don't know about weapons because I haven't got a fighter ship. But ships are moving along trade routes, big freighters have smaller ships land on them. I've been attacked by pirates, and I received a distress signal for help and saw a group of ships fly past along with the icon for the distress signal followed by another group firing at them. I watched them fly off into the distance, not getting involved.

Violet_0

Banned

a lot of people have been sceptical about the game pre-release precisely because we sensed a lack of meaningful content or purpose or whatever you want to call it. Remember all those "but what do you DO in NMS?"-threads? This is the danger with procedually generated games, they can very easily become repetitive and ultimately pointless

Irminsul

The thing with the probabilities is, nothing I've seen so far in this game makes me think there is anything in the game happening with a particularly low probability. Not even if you combine the (very obvious) building blocks like weather, temperature, colour scheme of planets as well as size and shape of animals and plants.

Speaking of "very obvious" building blocks and probabilites: Xander Cage already mentioned it w.r.t. ecosystems, but there don't seem to be any conditional probabilities to speak of. I.e., all building blocks are completely independent of each other. That definitely makes said building blocks much more visible and reinforces the impression of randomness.

What? It seems not much bigger than the player, when standing up? Again, this picture seems to be from close by. If I thought it was this size;

I'd admit so. Do you really think it looks comparable?
Yes I do. The initial question was was their big creatures as seen in trailers there's one and it is comparable. If somebody else finds another big one than what? It won't matter because it's rare right?

Yes I do. The initial question was was their big creatures as seen in trailers there's one and it is comparable. If somebody else finds another big one than what? It won't matter because it's rare right?

To me it looks nowhere near as big. Like 5-10 times smaller. Anyone else care chime in?

Another angle.

Image214-585x300.jpg

Tovarisc

Again, if they found out a one in a billion event it is exceedingly likely they'd post about it somewhere. And if you have ever been on the internet, you know that word about extraordinary events spreads fast among those who care.

Honestly, you are puprosfolly pretending to not understand what I am saying.

Nah, I'm just not okay with you making a lots of assumptions and using, at the end, very small and anacdotal experience base. Personally I'm not saying event X does or doesn't exist because I have no proof into direction or another, but if we are to say "Event X is one big fat LIE!" then I would want some other proof than few days of play from community that doesn't 100% post to interwebs everything.

But I guess I'm weird and difficult like that.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The 18 quintillion planets universe has never been a compelling argument for me. It's just a reframing of the "procedurally generated level" which is something we've seen in hundreds of games already. Spelunky has, effectively, 18 quintillion levels. More than that. Endless. If you had every person on earth play Spelunky around the clock for 18 billion years they still wouldn't see every possible level. NMS has just framed this old idea in a compelling new way, but, really, it's not new.

You can get a sense of what types of things are going to appear on planets pretty quickly. My experience and the experience of my friends with the game has been pretty much the same from planet to planet with little variation.

It's a boring, boring, boring game IMO.
It's a shame, because it really could have been interesting. Planet is too hot to land on - farm materials to create some kind of heat shield or upgrade for your ship, or the gravity is too high, or some kind of hazard. There's no barrier to entry to any of these places,they may as well all be temperate environments because the 'hazards' aren't hazardous in the slightest. There are no stakes, no risk, no reward, no real discovery, nothing. It's 'exploration' if you're happy for every planet to be more or less the same (really, they are) and to contain every element, every type of outpost, every alien monolith. They have to, by design. The 'variation' comes in the planet's distances from eachother, IMO.

It's all big numbers, smoke and mirrors. I've seen that tentacruel-looking creature countless times on my own planets, and people keep posting them online, too.

It's not that. Its that the trailer showed a kind of ecosystem where larger, aggressive creatures hunted and chased their prey, and that the herbivore prey moved as a herd and responded to the threat of the hunter creature.

That's not in the game, by any stretch of the imagination, and is my biggest disappointment with the game. How cool it would've been to watch these massive dinosaurs chasing and preying on smaller fodder creatures, watching their behaviour and movement, like it was shown in the trailer. What we got is extremely basic creature AI with no lifelike patterns or hierarchy of predators>prey etc.

The argument people laid out (or like two people) was literally "do we have creatures as tall as X in the game, if not we have been bamboozled!"

This is a reviews/impressions thread, and I hate to say it, but this conversation is going to keep happening when we get the next batch of completed reviews where writers note that they didn't find any large creatures or whatever. This is absolutely a thing players are noticing, and whether it's because they're not there or because they're incredibly rare remains to be seen. Regardless, it's rare enough that it is raising the question - someone else brought up the "if a tree falls when no one is around to hear it" idiom earlier and it fits pretty well here.

People who are enjoying the game are just going to need to get used to this line of debate, just like they had to grit their teeth during the "what do you do in NMS?" period pre-release. Get used to people comparing the game to trailers, because ultimately, the trailers are what got people interested in this game in the first place.

There are plenty of other issues with this game keeping me from enjoying it, don't worry.

There are plenty of valid criticisms that this game can have.

Gameplay loop isn't enjoyable, it becomes stale, too much grind
AI interaction is lacking, animal types don't logically line up with the environmental generation.
FOV, framerate, controls

I'm not trying to hand wave, you know, actual criticisms of the game. However when I see Sterling literally write that because he can't ride a dinosaur, then the game has failed somehow, (although at this point I assume he is just using hyperbolic example of him not enjoying the core gameplay loop.)

I think the really strange thing about this game, is how much people wanted it to fail. It was mostly guised under "but what do you do!?" type of stuff, and I'm not going to shit on people who aren't interested in this game, that would be stupid.

But to literally pick a trailer apart, claim that you have been lied to because you personally haven't seen an animal that large, be told "no I have actually seen animals that large", then go back and pick an even taller creature and go "Aha, but have you seen an animal THIS tall?!" and fall back to your point about how this entire game is basically all deception is a logically bankrupt argument.

I don't have the game yet, I have however been following the insanely stupid drama following the game. Some of it can be attributed to the game not living up to the insane hype that was created by a lot of people and then people following going "wtf this isn't GOAT", others seem to be waiting for that exact thing to happen so they can basically try and dog pile something like a god damn sticker being on boxes in the EU.

m@cross

Playing last night;

Large quadruped, maybe 10-15 feet at the shoulder, big teeth. It attacked and killed another creature.

Found a monolith and landing drew a large number 15+ of these bug things. They circled and closed towards me and started attacking me. Ran for it and was pursued.

Killed a deer sized herbivore near a pool of water, another nearby one let out a call and the rest of them trotted away from my general area.

Seems acceptable to me, but maybe people expected more. I think it is VERY early to judge what the game has or doesn't, when the game is procedural and has nearly limitless planets. It might be a while before people see particular things. If you found examples of everything you expected in the first several days, it would hardly be much of a simmulation of diversity. The more I play,t he more I find new things.

Playing last night;

Large quadruped, maybe 10-15 feet at the shoulder, big teeth. It attacked and killed another creature.

Found a monolith and landing drew a large number 15+ of these bug things. They circled and closed towards me and started attacking me. Ran for it and was pursued.

Killed a deer sized herbivore near a pool of water, another nearby one let out a call and the rest of them trotted away from my general area.

Seems acceptable to me, but maybe people expected more. I think it is VERY early to judge what the game has or doesn't, when the game is procedural and has nearly limitless planets. It might be a while before people see particular things. If you found examples of everything you expected in the first several days, it would hardly be much of a simmulation of diversity. The more I play,t he more I find new things.
All of this will be ignored

Fliesen

Probably not how you're thinking, no. If someone visits a few million planets without seeing anything resembling the trailers they'll be worth listening to.

well, to be fair, if the boxart had a seashell printed on and the trailers portrayed huge rocks, i'd be a bit irritated by hundreds of thousands of people, so far only finding grains of salt and maybe something that resembles a pebble ;)

i do believe it's a legitimate sentiment for trailers and promotional material to resemble content you're realistically able to encounter throughout your playthrough.

by which i'm not saying that i think that's an actual issue. But i do understand where people might be coming from

OCD Guy

Nah, I'm just not okay with you making a lots of assumptions and using, at the end, very small and anacdotal experience base. Personally I'm not saying event X does or doesn't exist because I have no proof into direction or another, but if we are to say "Event X is one big fat LIE!" then I would want some other proof than few days of play from community that doesn't 100% post to interwebs everything.

That's the mentality Sean is trying to promote.

He wants players to be hopeful.

If I've not seen something yet it's because the universe is vast, I've got to keep exploring...

Ironically the vastness and low probability of exciting things happening has not promoted more discovery, it's simply produced frustration.

Raiden

Banned
Lol after reading all these complaints about people not finding large creatures i want to go out and buy it to see if i can find one..

I never said "Event X is one big fat LIE!". I said it seems that there are no huge creatures in the game as featured in the trailer since no one has come across any. And I also said it is either extremely rare or not there.

So by your own words, you agree with me.

Window

The thing with the probabilities is, nothing I've seen so far in this game makes me think there is anything in the game happening with a particularly low probability. Not even if you combine the (very obvious) building blocks like weather, temperature, colour scheme of planets as well as size and shape of animals and plants.

Speaking of "very obvious" building blocks and probabilites: Xander Cage already mentioned it w.r.t. ecosystems, but there don't seem to be any conditional probabilities to speak of. I.e., all building blocks are completely independent of each other. That definitely makes said building blocks much more visible and reinforces the impression of randomness.

This does appear to be case and is disappointing. I'm kind of surprised honestly. Would be interesting to hear a technical breakdown of the game's content generation algorithm.

I'm enjoying the game as a whole but it clearly has problems, with my main complaint being the tedious inventory management. It's actually stopping me from upgrading my ship because I'd rather use the slots for resources than upgrades. I found a crashed ship that was better than mine but left it because it only had 2 or 3 empty slots left. OK, I could change the way I play and only mine things I actually need, but I like playing this way.

All of this will be ignored

None of these are out of the ordinary though. Hostile creatures make a beeline for you on site. Docile animals walk/run away when they are attacked. Those basic behaviors are well noted.

What isn't really clear or even visible in the game is the sense of ecosystem the trailers gave off, where there are distinct predator and prey AI routines, or animals that are clearly logically aligned to the environment around them.

Personally I haven't even seen creatures attack each other yet, even though I've seen groups of carnivores and herbivores wandering close to each other several times. The AI seems thin, to say the least.

This size or smaller? This is what people are asking if they exist in the game. Also, pictures if comparable?

Image214-585x300.jpg

Change your attitude, please.
Can you change yours?

Like what?

None of these are out of the ordinary though. Hostile creatures make a beeline for you on site. Docile animals walk/run away when they are attacked. Those behaviors are well noted.

What isn't really clear or even visible in the game is the sense of ecosystem the trailers gave off, where there are distinct predator and prey AI routines, or animals that are clearly logically aligned to the environment around them.
But people were just literally saying it wasn't in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom