• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Origins" trailer

Siri

Banned
Also, sexist title much?

Shouldn’t it be ‘No Person’s Sky?‘.

Or how about this! - ‘No Woman’s Sky - The Special Woke Edition’.

(Or this!! - ’No Third World Special Needs Black Woman’s Sky: The Ultra Woke Edition.)

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is good, the game has come a long way.. Too bad I realize that 120+ hours in the resource management interfaces is enough.

Last edited:

Miles708

THIS IS THE UPDATE I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

I'm back in and losing my shit.

You and me both. And I still have to see the trailer.
Just this description from their website is all I could have asked for:

"At No Man’s Sky’s core though, beats the heart of an experience which has never really lost its main existential purpose: a voyage of discovery, of exploration. For all the updates, the universe we have all been exploring together has largely remained untouched.
It is only fitting therefore that, for our major update of the year, and in the lineage of the larger annual updates of ATLAS RISES (2017), NEXT (2018) and BEYOND, we return to that core principle."

Honestly I can't wait.

Kadayi

Banned
G5OF.gif

Will endeavour to give it a look-see over the weekend. I need something to pull me away from CKIII for a bit because I've been hitting that pipe hard for the last few weeks .

samwizered

While I do appreciate some of the additions in this update, I really wish they would clean up and refine what's already there, rather than continuously adding more and more features and distractions and shit. I'm saying this as someone who played the game at launch and ended up putting in hundreds of hours.

The new No Man's Sky has felt like a Frankenstein's monster of patchwork and jankiness. It badly needs a major quality of life/bugfix update.

All in all, the transformation that this game has gone through is absolutely insane. Just go back and look at the old trailers from 2014 or so, it looks completely unrecognisable compared to what we have now:

Personally, I prefer the old art style.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
While I do appreciate some of the additions in this update, I really wish they would clean up and refine what's already there, rather than continuously adding more and more features and distractions and shit. I'm saying this as someone who played the game at launch and ended up putting in hundreds of hours.

The new No Man's Sky has felt like a Frankenstein's monster of patchwork and jankiness. It badly needs a major quality of life/bugfix update.

All in all, the transformation that this game has gone through is absolutely insane. Just go back and look at the old trailers from 2014 or so, it looks completely unrecognisable compared to what we have now:

Well, this is the update for you. They've refined and cleaned up what was already there and added many new planets, biomes and creatures. Buildings and anomalous things too. There are now things to explore for.

Last edited:
The increased mountain-sized mountains make more of a difference than I assumed. They reduce view distance and create little pockets of life.

samwizered

Well, this is the update for you. They're refined and cleaned up what was already there and added many new planets, biomes and creatures. Buildings and anomalous things too. There are now things to explore for.

I launched up the game earlier and found some cool and interesting new things while exploring, which I definitely appreciate.

But the experience is still janky as hell. I'm mainly referring to things like the flight mechanics, UI/UX, performance, visual quirks/glitches, terrain generation, LOD, etc.

The've piled on so many new features that the gameplay feels overdeveloped. There's no cohesion, it feels like the game is trying to pull me in a dozen different directions at once. There's no longer any focus, no clear goal to aim toward.

I guess these are just personal gripes. I'm still happy for Hello Games and all the people who still enjoy the game. As for myself, I want more fundamental changes/improvements, such as:

- Procgen tied to your galactic coordinates (i.e. moving closer to the centre ramps up the procgen variation/intensity)
- Rotating/revolving planets
- Proper asteroid fields that are visible from afar
- Dynamic lighting/using the sun as the primary light source
- Companion ships/squads

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
The biggest SANDBOX game in human history, where you do the same 10x (prev. 3) steps over and over again. I don´t get it. Looks dope af! But ... why the fuck would walk through a station, if you could just fly over to the other exit?

Best looking sandbox game. Any news about next gen patches? I might get it then.

buizel

Banned

I know what you mean. Im in that camp too, Pathfinder Version was the best, though the game never did look exactly like the pre-release trailers (the perfect version we'll never see)

That said, this new update has sorta redeemed a little bit, but yeh the old style was so scifi and perfect... glad theyre taking cues from it for the latest update.. (though the original was magical)

new-planets-2-1040w.jpg

yamfpujtdyo51.png
marshes-1-1040w.jpg
alien-fauna-5-1040w.jpg
biwo40dgpwo51.jpg
6v01glr4ixo51.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting discovery about how it saves your bases:

I have several bases. One of them is named Earthloop Tower, because I built it on a Paradise-esque planet with large earthern-rock circle formations. There's basically rock donuts everywhere to fly through. I planted a base and built a tower to one of the loops by the water. I hadn't visited it in awhile since climbing the stairs was no fun.

I go back after the update and the entire planet has morphed into a swamp biome. The lush green is gone and there's purple air and mushrooms everywhere. The trees are all void of leaves. Here's the thing: All the rock donut circles are gone. Every one, except for the loop right by my base which still remains. So essentially I have a rare rock formation because my base saved the earth format around it while the entire rest of the planet changed. I'm a little bit proud of that.

Guilty_AI

I know what you mean. Im in that camp too, Pathfinder Version was the best, though the game never did look exactly like the pre-release trailers (the perfect version we'll never see)

That said, this new update has sorta redeemed a little bit, but yeh the old style was so scifi and perfect... glad theyre taking cues from it for the latest update.. (though the original was magical)

new-planets-2-1040w.jpg

yamfpujtdyo51.png
marshes-1-1040w.jpg
alien-fauna-5-1040w.jpg
biwo40dgpwo51.jpg
6v01glr4ixo51.jpg

Damn, they really outdid themselves this time in regards with planet generation

pBoqwVS.jpg

fcpiaa1.jpg

BONUS:
lEACzJe.jpg

Top Bottom