• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
So to the people that were really looking forward to this...

Disappointing or nah?
Nope. It's exactly matching my expectations so far.

Survival elements are a little more in your face than I would like but it doesn't take long to fill up the draining meters. That aspect was shown off enough times before release that I expected it.

grimmiq

Loving this so far, met 2 alien dudes, the first
offered to sell me his ship for 600k units
, the other one was awesome and asked me a question
and I only understood 2 words, weapon and replace. Options were to relinquish my multi-tool or refuse, relinquished and he swapped it for a 10slot upgraded version that looks like a laser rifle instead of a pistol.

Just found a distress beacon, ETA 3 hours..going to get back in my ship and fly there.

This game may very well consume me.

2nd galaxy I couldn't think up a name, so it's called Skittles..planet is toxic as fuck so it's Searing Gas Pain Land.

Also find it funny that they apparently screwed up the UI and mixed around Weight and Height for creatures, Weight: 1.6m, Heigh 160kg.

halfbeast

Banned
Can you get an entirely new exosuit (aside from the starting suit)?

I'm about 6 hours in, still on my first planet but it looks like I've filled up all the available space for empty slots in my exosuit.

there are pods on every planet, you can upgrade your suit there.

I apologize in advance if this has been posted already but ive been playing the game for the last couple of hours and havent check up in the thread

I saw a few pages back ppl where complaining about only being able to save at the ship and just wanted to say that you can stumble upon other save points. Some of these way points have a "call ship" feature that will, well, call your ship to you..a sort of auto pilot to your location. These usually cost an unlock chip to use though but could be handy

I don't think this game is for me. After restarting my game and getting a much better starting world, I still feel pretty bored after exploring a dozen or so other worlds. I found a really pretty pink planet lush with trees; then I lasered through a few of them for carbon, found an outpost with one alien just sitting in his chair like every other outpost, and learned the word for "toxic" from a pillar, which pretty much sums up how I feel about this game right now.

Man. I'm sure just seeing weird stuff will be enough for a lot of people, and that's totally fine. To me though, the game just feels hollow. Every discovery is just surface level. No matter how strange an object is, I'm still just here to harvest the same stuff I got on other planets.

Think I'm gonna put this down for a bit, maybe give it a whirl later and see if any of this is just my mood or something. I'm not having fun though.

Honestly this loop alone is fucking scary for me:
Farm, get better hyper drive, move onto next system. Repeat.

Addicting.

In Sean's twitch stream there were several times where he just zoned out and started collecting stuff instead of showing off features. This is obviously a game built exactly to spec for what he specifically enjoys. For me, I knew a long time ago that I am not going to enjoy farming for resources in this game. I hate farming, it feels like a job. But there's enough other interesting things about the game that those will hopefully outweigh the tedious bits. And at the worst, I'll spend more time in space instead of going to planets.

But that's why it's going to be such a divisive game. Sean's tastes are very specific and a bit niche, and not everyone will like what he likes. But I think he's created a big enough buffet table that there will be something for everyone if they give it enough time to open up.

I am so sad. UPS officially delayed my shipment until end of day tomorrow. Pre-ordered in March of 2016! Thanks Amazon. I live an hour from the nearest store that sells a game, so I guess I will have to just live of streams for the night. Hope you all enjoy it!

Ugh, I'm so sorry, that's awful! You should definitely give Amazon an earful.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I want to be rid of this preorder ship so fucking bad. I hate it. And I don't want to spend the money on just a minor upgrade, I want one of the classier fighters I've seen. So this is really driving my gameplay right now.

I was pissed I had to accept the preorder ship in the first place but I guess I should be thankful now, lol. This is really compelling me to develop some ways to make bank and get the ship I want before continuing on with the game which is a pretty nice goal IMO.

Surge

So I spent 3 or so hours on my first planet(and I'm still there) and I check the percentage and it still says 0

What am I doing wrong?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
So to the people that were really looking forward to this...

Disappointing or nah?

Not disappointing at all. Super fun so far.

So I spent 3 or so hours on my first planet(and I'm still there) and I check the percentage and it still says 0

What am I doing wrong?
Your planet has no animals to scan, that 100% is the select fauna catalog.

GHG

Gold Member
I feel like I need to learn this alien language in the game ASAP.

Number one I don't like how my interactions with npc's are gobbledygook apart from give or take 1 or 2 words per sentence.

And number 2, I encountered a facility that I had to break into and it gave me 3 options as to what they were building there before it got shut down. The information was in the text provided but I couldn't answer the question because I have no idea what it was saying. I guessed the wrong option and now the facility is shut down so I can't try it again. I'm forever going to wonder what loot I have missed out on by screwing that up...

Fuck me it's 5am.

Smokey

So I found a cave that appears to be never fucking ending, but the Plutonium and minerals down here my gawd. I've maxed out my inventory and now I can't find a way out ;__________;

So has anyone figured out why upgrades light up when connected to the thing they are upgrading? Do they only work when connected because the tooltip says the upgrade will work automatically when in the multi tools inventory

Kvik

NMS is the top seller on both Steam and GOG at the moment. Also there's a countdown on GOG (2d 16h 06m 02s to go).

So I found a cave that appears to be never fucking ending, but the Plutonium and minerals down here my gawd. I've maxed out my inventory and now I can't find a way out ;__________;

Only one possible answer here: dig yourself to the other side of the planet.

N° 2048

I want to be rid of this preorder ship so fucking bad. I hate it. And I don't want to spend the money on just a minor upgrade, I want one of the classier fighters I've seen. So this is really driving my gameplay right now.

I was pissed I had to accept the preorder ship in the first place but I guess I should be thankful now, lol. This is really compelling me to develop some ways to make bank and get the ship I want before continuing on with the game which is a pretty nice goal IMO.

haha doing the same right now too. going to go off the main quest and try to get a nice ship. i'm about 4 jumps in. just after the
Find us. Hear us.
part.

GHG

Gold Member
Where do I get slots for my multi-tool? You can spoil me, no problem, put it with tags or PM me.

I found an NPC that stole my tool but then he gave it back to me all pimped out with extra slots.

I think I got lucky since that was the 2nd planet I went to.

border

How do I obtain the stuff I received as a pre-order and Limited Edition bonus? I redeemed the codes but nothing astound in my inventory...

Fedele

Where do I get slots for my multi-tool? You can spoil me, no problem, put it with tags or PM me.

By exchanging it by better models with more slots.

Hahaha I strongly suggest that you refrain from going too deep in caves before you have plasma grenades to cave your way out if needed!

halfbeast

Banned
Are there load screens? And if so, are they on the same level as games like Dead Rising 2?

there are no loading screens in the traditional sense. but when you use your hyperdrive it takes a while to get to your destination. you get a flashy animation, but you can't do anything during it. other than that, you can fly from one planet to another seamlessly.

Initial load into the game and then between star systems as you warp in.

How frequent are they? Arkham Asylum and City had load screens, but they were spaced out enough that it wasn't an issue. The old Resident Evil games on PS1 you were constantly having to endure load screens every time you entered a room or building.

Hmm.. I have crafted 1/4 of the plank sheets for my ship at the beginning of the game. Where do I find the mats to craft them? Is it debris or do I just explore?

there are no loading screens in the traditional sense. but when you use your hyperdrive it takes a while to get to your destination. you get a flashy animation, but you can't do anything during it. other than that, you can fly from one planet to another seamlessly.

while you're in the Hyper Drive (or whatever it is) you can go through your menus and such to recharge fuel, life support, craft, etc

kobu

And talk to the aliens who are in them and make deals. I have seen a few of their ships I want to buy from them as well, but I have been short on credits.

I've been seeing some really cool green and pink ships and my goal is to get enough credits to buy one at this point.

So has anyone figured out why upgrades light up when connected to the thing they are upgrading? Do they only work when connected because the tooltip says the upgrade will work automatically when in the multi tools inventory

My theory is that you can link upgrades to multiple tech. I put a distance upgrade between the visor and the scanner and it lit up all three. My visor can see further and my scanner can scan more/further.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm.. I have crafted 1/4 of the plank sheets for my ship at the beginning of the game. Where do I find the mats to craft them? Is it debris or do I just explore?
Carite Sheets? Iron is one of the most common elements in the universe, just poke around and look for some.
My theory is that you can link upgrades to multiple tech. I put a distance upgrade between the visor and the scanner and it lit up all three. My visor can see further and my scanner can scan more/further.
baller

theWB27

How frequent are they? Arkham Asylum and City had load screens, but they were spaced out enough that it wasn't an issue. The old Resident Evil games on PS1 you were constantly having to endure load screens every time you entered a room or building.

However many times you turn your game off and on or warp to another star.

Other than that there is no loading. So the frequency depends on you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I actually found a signal for a crashed ship. Fixed the whole thing up and switched to that. It's a pretty impressive battleship actually.

Tovarisc

Initial loading is when you start the game. Load between start systems aka warping is as often as you warp from star system to next. Within star system there is no loading screens, you can fly from space station to the moon to the planet to next planet back to space station without single loading screen popping up.

MattyG

Banned
I don't think this game is for me. After restarting my game and getting a much better starting world, I still feel pretty bored after exploring a dozen or so other worlds. I found a really pretty pink planet lush with trees; then I lasered through a few of them for carbon, found an outpost with one alien just sitting in his chair like every other outpost, and learned the word for "toxic" from a pillar, which pretty much sums up how I feel about this game right now.

Man. I'm sure just seeing weird stuff will be enough for a lot of people, and that's totally fine. To me though, the game just feels hollow. Every discovery is just surface level. No matter how strange an object is, I'm still just here to harvest the same stuff I got on other planets.

Think I'm gonna put this down for a bit, maybe give it a whirl later and see if any of this is just my mood or something. I'm not having fun though.
This is kind of how I'm feeling too. Don't get me wrong, the game's awesome, but I'm already getting worn out. I want to keep moving to get to the center, but also want to explore the planets I find, but I also feel like there's no point to it because once I've found a few things I've found basically everything. I feel like I'm not making any progress, I'm just going to different star systems and doing the same things.

When I was hitting very clear incremens in the narrative every few warps I was really digging it, but that seems to have just stopped.

GhaleonEB

I'm both shocked at how blatant the UI was lifted from Destiny, and frustrated/amused at how poor it is as being easily readable. Like a student copied a master and got the form but not the grace or purpose down. Key information is buried rather than accessible.

At any rate, my younger daughter got her ship into space. And then we spent 20 minutes together trying to figure out what to do. We need to craft a hyperdrive, but then we couldn't find any tool tips or menu to tell us how. We were being told there was in incoming transmission, but nothing told us how to access it. Icons out in space seemed to tell us to go to them, but at max speed it would take 20 minutes. We can't jump to other planets because no hyperdrive.

We studied the controls in the help menu, tried every button, and sifted through the myriad menus for a while and then gave up and powered off. We're not even sure when the game last saved.

My overwhelming impression of the game is one of frustration, right now. It's a deeply unpleasant UI and both my kids and I found it needlessly confusing and unhelpful.

At any rate, I played for a bit myself. I angered a sentinel by shooting a small rock for iron, and then discovered how awful the aiming mechanics are when I had to defend myself. Good lord.

Right now I don't want to spend any more time with it. My younger daughter ended her play session confused and frustrated at not knowing what to do once in her ship. We're both pretty bummed after our first play session.

I can see myself coaching her through if she wants to keep playing, and not playing it much myself, for a while. If anything turns me off from a game like lightning, it's bad UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom