• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are reddit AMAs always this slow? Sean seems to be taking forever to answer questions. Maybe it's just his lack of sleep.

Are there gas giants and stuff, or just 'terrestial' planets.

All planets have a surface. Some have a thick atmosphere and apparently look a bit like gas giants, but they certainly aren't giant like Jupiter or something.

I have a theory on why theres such confusion about the framerate.

Maybe it was closer to 60 before the patch, but in an effort to improve the dynamic lights, reduce the pop in, and up the texture rez, they just conceded and locked it to a hard 30 for the patch.

Maybe you're right. 30fps with 1.03 and probably unlocked with 1.00

Makki

Sorry if it has been asked, has the developer straight up said whether or not the engine can allow a player to see another player in the infinitesimally small chance the 2 met?

microtubule

I have no patience. I'm going to double dip aren't I?

I was just going to buy PC only and get the artbook/comic second hand down the road but seeing Sean very active in the community today I double-dipped. I wonder what color/model Ferrari he is going to buy when he finally takes a vacation.

King_Moc

Banned
Are the worlds and the enemies going to feel kind of "samey" after a while?

I've seen a few repeats, more or less. There's been 3 variations on a bouncing mushroom covered with eyes. And a vine that attacks you has shown up a few times in roughly similar forms.

Mammals, birds, fish etc have all been much more varied though.

4thman

Neo Member
Its 5.04GB after the patch

There's an application file afterwards. The full size is just over 5gb.

Nope, there's no difference before and after the patch. And if it was closer to 60, but not there, there would have been stuttering and screen tear. It's been a locked 30 the entire time.

It'll be closer to 6 once the files are unpacked.

Thankyou peeps.....was just curious when I saw the download begin

I was just going to buy PC only and get the artbook/comic second hand down the road but seeing Sean very active in the community today I double-dipped. I wonder what color/model Ferrari he is going to buy when he finally takes a vacation.

The last guys that I've seen so passionate about something were the Shovel Knight team.

I probably bought that game 3 times or more.

Karak

Are the worlds and the enemies going to feel kind of "samey" after a while?

Depends on the set chosen for the origination data and what they put into it for variation. Since this doesn't look to be using a generational style of procedural generation and more of a deterministic seed they have some control over.
If its something like v=ab+1+1 or something that that effect there is a lot of variation but from what Sean said a good deal of their work was making things that both worked and held to the laws set up in the game. So I would assume we will see SOME similarity at some point.
Its the variation that sets the standard for how chaotic the system can be. Also since they are using an examination system(drones) for some stuff, I assume they are using it for not just color but also creatures, or did during development. To make sure stuff stayed alien but not fantastical.

They then take that data and feed it back into the system to get generation just right. Sean said that at one point their entire office had different universes with different sets and were trying to get just the right balance.

Mahonay

Banned
Sean's answer to everyone thinking they were drunk/high during the stream

Yeah, so everyone thinks we were high or drunk :( Just hadn't eaten today, and am operating on zero sleep. It's an ok buzz. 5/10. Would not sleep again.

Kadayi

Banned
No midnight release for PC, at least in Europe. Sean said, best guess 6PM GMT on friday. :(

xeBAl.gif

Dinjoralo

Well, I'm going to be waiting a bit longer, since I don't have a PS4... do PC and PS4 use the same servers for storing discoveries?

Depends on the set chosen for the origination data and what they put into it for variation. Since this doesn't look to be using a generational style of procedural generation and more of a deterministic seed they have some control over.
If its something like v=ab+1+1 or something that that effect there is a lot of variation but from what Sean said a good deal of their work was making things that both worked and held to the laws set up in the game. So I would assume we will see SOME similarity at some point.

The geographical variety seems fairly endless, but the color palettes are hand-picked by the AD, so I think some people will think they look similar because of that.

Alastor3

It's shared but you'll never meet anyone as it stands because of the size of the galaxy you are in. And if you do somehow run into someone it sounds like it will be a fairly limited encounter.

Also if you find a planet that has been discovered and named by another player, I don't think any of the mining or holes that have been blasted by the pervious player will be there for you.

That's as far as I understand it.

ahah, my friend still think it's a big MMO and he refused to look into media for over years now. He still said to me yesterday: ''There will be probably hubs for players to meet.''

Hope he won't be too much sad...

Karak

The geographical variety seems fairly endless, but the color palettes are hand-picked by the AD, so I think some people will think they look similar because of that.

Agreed.
Also with Sean using the drones to check pallete sets it will have been up to them to decide how samey, or different they want. But from what I remember aren't some of the colors and settings actually determined by the basic elements of the planet?
I thought Sean said that.

ahah, my friend still think it's a big MMO and he refused to look into media for over years now. He still said to me yesterday: ''There will be probably hubs for players to meet.''

Hope he won't be too much sad...

Worth case scenario, he can always come to meet us here ;)

Re Field of View - Sean said (where he posted the screengrab) it's still a work in progress.

People also need to make sure their TV's aren't overscanning. (because by default) all of them do. That isn't going to help with the FOV situation since overscanning is basically a screen-zoom for no fucking reason. If your TV is on 16:9, you're probably doing it wrong.

PC Monitors tend to not overscan by default, but you never know if you haven't checked through your monitors settings.

Agreed.
Also with Sean using the drones to check pallete sets it will have been up to them to decide how samey, or different they want. But from what I remember aren't some of the colors and settings actually determined by the basic elements of the planet?

Yeah, I believe that's correct. And the algorithms can produce variations of the colors within a range. But there's definitely hard rules in their system about what colors can be matched to what, which probably influences which elements end up together.

Karak

Yeah, I believe that's correct. And the algorithms can produce variations of the colors within a range. But there's definitely hard rules in their system about what colors can be matched to what, which probably influences which elements end up together.

Ya that would be for the best. Otherwise you could have some crazy shit lol. I think Seans plan is somewhat crazy but not full on nuts hahaha.
So far what i have seen is fine.

Why I still consider NMS an indie game.

Sean on working with Sony
Sony has been super cool to work with, but mainly just because they haven't been involved in development, you know? We're still sort of the underdog with Sony, and in the general AAA (for obvious reasons). If NMS is a success, I think that probably will have a real impact in terms of how a lot of people in larger publishers view indie games. People generally think of NMS as a Sony title, but we're still just a self funded indie studio - it's kind of a crazy situation :)

Playing it now and I think Legacy's right about it being 30fps. Ignore my claims from a few pages back, it just really looked smooth as fuck on my end, especially in space. Deeply sorry to get anyone's hopes up.

Agreed.

I just wanted to say thanks you for your initiative against cancer, i love your videos, one of my favorite youtube channel :)

Apathy

watching the ign stream on twitch, while I can generally stand max (even though I find him annoying) watching him play is just so bad. The girl that is with him is also annoying as fuck (go to the water, go to the water, go to the water, go to the water....). Shes worst than navi.

Ya that would be for the best. Otherwise you could have some crazy shit lol. I think Seans plan is somewhat crazy but not full on nuts hahaha.
So far what i have seen is fine.

Yeah, I think Grant's (the AD) mantra is that it must always look pretty. That GDC talk Grant gave was informative; he was really very skeptical of proc gen tech when they first started. Then he realized that the proc gen algorithms were basically artists working for him, and it was up to him to codify what "pretty" means, or his version of pretty anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom