• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

danowat

Banned
What I am saying is that I was content, but grinding so much just to get the ship kind of wore on me. Were there more things to do in between all of that it would help, but now I am just ready to head to the center and give it a break. I do love the game and the framework of what they are going for, but some of the criticism is indeed warranted. A few more updates to help flesh it out should help quite a bit.
I just can't help but feel I am missing something, on paper I should love the game, it's frustrating.

The devs already made bank so they probably don't give shit. The reviews spell out exactly what gave me pause (billions of planets but really only a small amount of variation, crap combat, nothing to do other than resource gathering...)

After straying off the path and getting too many shit worlds, the gameplay loop is starting to wear on me a bit. But that is to be expected after about 15 hours. I am going to head straight for the center now.

At a breakneck pace, getting to the center would take about 150 hours by my calculation. Good luck.

ironcreed

Banned
I just can't help but feel I am missing something, on paper I should love the game, it's frustrating.

That is just it. The framework is fantastic, it just needs more of a 'structure' built around it. What is there can only go so far. This is where the dust of my expectations have settled at after over 15 hours. A great game that just needs more substance. Which I think they can certainly improve upon with some much needed updates.

Kssio_Aug

I don't feel robbed at all.

But, I'm over thirty. Even if I spend only a few hours with a full priced game, games are fucking cheap.

In any case, I find it well worth the price.

I don't know where you live neither your economical situation, but I consider full priced games expensive as fuck, even in a direct dollar conversion.

Huh? The first guy who had the game did it in 30 and screwed around for most of that.

The day 1 patch made it where you start much further from the center.

Trust me, I've been making jumps to the center as fast and efficiently as I possibly can, and I've barely made a dent in the journey.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So after playing this for several hours now, I'd give this game a 6 out of 10. To me, this is more of a proof of concept or a tech demo than an actual game.

I'm now starting to understand the complaints about repetitiveness. There's three planets in the first system I started out on and the only real difference between the three is the climate, other than that what you do on each planet boils down to the same thing.

I think the biggest thing this game lacks is focus. It needs to focus on one thing and do that good, but instead it's trying to do everything in a mediocre way.

Also, I don't see the point of looking for way points on a planet when the only thing they serve as is save points, would be nice if you could fast travel between them, it would save a lot of headache. Either that or give us a vehicle to explore the planet because trying to traverse the planet on foot is a massive pain in the ass.

And don't even get me started on the horrible inventory management or the way you upgrade your things....

I actually ended up using Cheat Engine to change two things that drastically improved my experience. One was infinite stamina, so I could sprint as long as I want, and the other was no overheating on the mining laser because it just made mining even more of a chore.

Of course, this all makes the game sound worse than it is. It's still addicting to go and discover new planets and systems, but that enjoyment can only last so long.

NMS shouldn't have priced the way it is. It didn't help to level expectation. Sony should have priced it around $30 and all would be more okay than now.

I agree, just based on the content and depth, it's a $30 game. It does not feel like a full blown AAA $60 game. It should be priced around Minecraft because it's a similar style of game, but even Minecraft has a lot more to do than this game(even in single player).

ironcreed

Banned

Trust me, I've been making jumps to the center as fast and efficiently as I possibly can, and I've barely made a dent in the journey.

Seriously? Well then, I'll just take my time and take breaks here and there. I am not burning myself out with constant mining and shit. That long is just spreading the experience too thin for what is currently there.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I played it for about 6 hours, wasn't feeling it, sold it on ebay. It wasn't a bad game, just not my style -- too heavy on inventory and resource management, too light on the feeling of exploration and discovery. Exploration wasn't that rewarding to me, and I felt like I spent most of my time fiddling with inventory screens.

My hope is that other devs/publishers will be "inspired" by the hype and financial success of NMS, but chastened by its mediocre reviews, and they will set out to make space exploration games that are improved over what NMS offers.

For instance, rather than procedural generation of 18 quintillion planets that don't have a lot of variety on the planets themselves, hand-crafted solar systems of a modest size, with lots of interesting variation on the planets. Less emphasis on the inventory and resource management. Throw in a story that provides a sense of motivation, a character you can connect with, and some interesting alien encounters and civilizations. I could love a game like that.

This is where a lot of players are going to get abruptly stopped in their tracks and put the game down. I get the exploration part of it and the losing one's self in the game-world but that part of it becomes so incredibly samey and in combination with the super simple gameplay on each planet/traversal to the next planet it will cause a lot of players to say enough is enough with the realization of how much that exploration/gameplay cycle they have to repeat in order to reach the center.

Seriously? Well then, I'll just take my time and take breaks here and there. I am not burning myself out with constant mining and shit. That long is just spreading the experience too thin for what is currently there.

Oh, I'm not even accounting for mining in any of that. I have enough money that I can just buy components for Warp Cores at space stations. So I'm literally just warping to a system, stopping in the space station to buy out their inventory, and then warping 10 more systems ahead. I don't stop on planets anymore. Every few jumps I need to mine from asteroids, but that's super quick.

Literally just this min-maxing loop is going to take me at least 150 hours of gameplay. If you actually stop to mine and things like that, you'll easily double or triple it.

Of course, there may be something further along in the game that speeds up my progress significantly. But I've already reached the maximum number of systems I can get through in a single jump, and I've used a black hole. So if I keep this pace that's how long it would take. I don't know if I can manage to keep interested for that long.

Alebrije

The devs already made bank so they probably don't give shit. The reviews spell out exactly what gave me pause (billions of planets but really only a small amount of variation, crap combat, nothing to do other than resource gathering...)

Do not know if that is the same for other players but happened the same on a friends house. We thought there will plenty of planets variations because if you just think about our solar system each planet is very different from other. But once you realize that to find a nice interesting planet you probably will need to pass for a lot of boring ones ( similar animals , landscape) the sense of exploring goes down fast and this is a serious problem for a game that relies on exploration since it seems combat and trade is lame.

Maybe there are people with luck that discovers very different planets often and enjoy the game as it is

But for me was a preorder cancel since the way the game is right now it only deserves a 20-30 us price

ironcreed

Banned
Even for people like me who have been loving it... there is a wall you hit due to lack of something else to do and see. I have been all over this game, but I am just calling a spade a spade after spending enough time with it and hitting that wall last night.

So did I, but I quickly realised that it didn't actually make any difference to the experience.

My multi-tool is massively different to what I started with and changes the experience a lot. Mining's a piece of piss, and I can rob a plutonium deposit and get away in seconds.

Tomeru

Its like trying to explain life. NMS is what it is. No shame or honor involved here. You play or you don't.

Its like taking out the story in Skyrim or GTA. Youget a sandbox playground to just doshit with no real goal. But its fun for some.

People trying to justify themselves for liking a game is sadder than people attacking a game.

sephi22

Played about 7-8 hours. After the marijuana wore off I realized the core loop is dogshit and the FoV hurts me on PS4. Hard to shoot ships and sentinels. Solid 4.5/10 for me

So it's exactly what I expected. Proteus in space.

People who are into Ubisoft and Bethesda games for "exploration" will love it (even though NMS doesn't even seem to do that very well either), but those looking for good gameplay won't find anything of any worth in NMS.

Mindlog

Still don't understand why so many still pre-order exorbitantly priced games when waiting a week or two is always the better idea. Like dropping a bowling ball on your foot and complaining about how heavy it is.
So it's exactly what I expected.

People who are into Ubisoft and Bethesda games for "exploration" will love it (even though NMS doesn't even seem to do that very well either), but those looking for good gameplay won't find anything of any worth in NMS.
I don't like Ubisoft template games.
Doom was awesome though. One of the best this year. I don't see the correlation.

krang

Still don't understand why so many still pre-order exorbitantly priced games when waiting a week or two is always the better idea. Like dropping a bowling ball on your foot and complaining about how heavy it is.

Doom was awesome though. One of the best this year. I don't see the correlation.

Quite clearly they were referring to Fallout.

Oh, let me explain:

With "Bethesda games" I meant those developed by Bethesda Softworks (Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc.) and Ubisoft for their, as you said, "template" (AssCreed).

The allure of both seems to be that they have these huge worlds for people to explore...but most (all ?) of them are pretty meh to bad in the gameplay department.

benzopil

I adore Ubisoft desing and have platinum trophies in some AssCreed games, Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3.

I'm bored of NMS after two days.

NMS suffers from the same problems that The Division's Underground expansion had, for me anyways.

The Underground expansion introduced randomly generated Operations. The problem is there isn't much random about any of it considering there are only 10 or so actual play-spaces and the encounters in said play-spaces all play out generally the the exact same way against the same faction.

In NMS you have 18 quintillion planets that are procedurally generated yet after a while you realize that while having different simple properties many, many of them are very similar and the "gameplay" on each is virtually the same.

Both becomes super boring and kills any potential for longevity (yet in NMS someone actually thought it would be fun to repeat such a monotonous experience to reach the center/end/end-game).

Alebrije

At least on those games the combat system is better and enjoyable , NMS combat is boring and this makes exploration less entertaining , basically there is not fear or tense moments on exploration because enemies or animals behave unagresvie , the sense of safety once you get good tools affects exploration.

NMS is a nice exploration game that is better while listening Jarre , specially Oxygene.
Is a game that you want to play when you do not have something else to do. Is about nothing just the experience.

Mindlog

I adore Ubisoft desing and have platinum trophies in some AssCreed games, Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3.

I'm bored of NMS after two days.
Perhaps the definitive statements about our tastes aren't all that definitive.
There are so many games out there. Games for everybody!
9ds1d9W.png

I honestly forget Fallout 4 even released all the time.

Oh, let me explain:

With "Bethesda games" I meant those developed by Bethesda Softworks (Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc.) and Ubisoft for their, as you said, "template" (AssCreed).

The allure of both seems to be that they have these huge worlds for people to explore...but most (all ?) of them are pretty meh to bad in the gameplay department.

I think you're seriously underselling the gameplay in all of those games.

big fake

I saw. That's even putting it nicely.

I sort of wonder if there was an Alpha release to get player suggestions, work out bugs, etc.. would it have fared better.

This honestly should have happened a long time ago. A beta test would give this thing a lot of feedback into its mundane systems. It also doesn't help the vertical slice preview that press got in like may was maximum 3-4 hours of gameplay of which most NMS players admit were the the best parts of the game. Its shock and awe was only there for the initial moments but really faded quickly.

To me, this is more of a proof of concept or a tech demo than an actual game.

I've already commented on it, but I had the same impression. The mechanics and overall gameplay components are so weak and thin, it felt like someone had put this 'world' together without realizing until shortly before release that, oh shit, there was supposed to be a game in there.

My friend sold it by now, a few days into it, so that's it for my impressions since I wouldn't pick this up for $10.

krang

It's a game that needed to be cheap, start with something basic and let it grow organically. But instead it was rammed into a $60 retail release after overpromising in far too many areas.

Oh, let me explain:

Man, Assassin's Creed 1 is Ninja Gaiden Black gameplay wise compared to No Man's Sky. Strike that, any given one of these potentially referenced Ubi/Beth titles is Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 3 and Bloodborne combined in terms of mechanics compared to NMS.

gossi

You can cheese it. There's an item duping exploit. The post patch ending was posted online the same day as the patch was released.

There's also a cheat program posted in this thread earlier today, run it, press F3, it gives you 999 warp cells.

Jobbs

Banned
This is one of those games where even though the meta is close to 70 (which is far too high IMO) it'll be remembered very poorly

Top Bottom