• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Tagyhag

Digitally DownloadedAug 12, 2016
No game, film, book or otherwise has been more effectively in capturing what the experience of exploring the universe must be.

I'm not even bothered by the score, I'm bothered by that quote.

Are they insane? I mean, No Man's Sky does indeed do a cool job.

But it's not realistic in the slightest, do they really think it's more effective at capturing the universe than something like Elite Dangerous? And that's just one example.

Not every planet in the universe is a planet you can land on, Digital Downloaded.

ironcreed

Banned
Digitally DownloadedAug 12, 2016
No game, film, book or otherwise has been more effectively in capturing what the experience of exploring the universe must be.

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

7bde879835b8cdfefbb86ab6394a7ade.gif

8bltUJ5cAIgeY.gif

cdd6531bae6834d8fbf4ad2d2f7590f5.gif

Anyone else have many crashes after a while? I had maybe one crash last week (around 12 hours). Now, I had 8 crashes since yesterday (around 5 hours). I just left the game because I had a crash going in overdrive. I had to restart and then, crashed before I could see the No Man's Sky title screen (and this happens often).

IGN's review said the reviewer had about a dozen crashes and that this game was the most crash-prone game he's played on PS4.

That's one of the stupidest lines from a review I've ever heard.

Yessiree, the game sure really conveys the majesty of the galaxy, what with its utter lack of large planetary landforms and lack of planet types outside of Earth-type rock planets.

There are dozens of films and books that do it better. To suggest otherwise is absolutely insane.

Hell, Space Engine does it better:

pots555

So, I think I am finally done with the game. Not a bad week. But today, after so many crashes, just the tought of mining so more gold or seeing the same planet layout for the 50th time, I could not take it.

Put Sleeping Dogs back in there and I am having fun again. I guess I'll trade No Man's Sky for Deus Ex.

SomTervo

Lmao. That looks goofy as fuck. Not awe inspiring, just ridiculous.

They're much easier to swallow when you emergently come upon them in-game while just dossing about. Like you catch a glimpse of something through the tree line, and creep through, turn a corner, and...

It's entertaining. And what is a videogame if not entertainment!

Realeza

Banned
They're much easier to swallow when you emergently come upon them in-game while just dossing about. Like you catch a glimpse of something through the tree line, and creep through, turn a corner, and...

It's entertaining. And what is a videogame if not entertainment!

It seems entertaining in the same way Ubisoft games' glitches are entertaining. That's not probably what the developer wanted. :p

Wil348

71 Metascore with almost 60 reviews. The reception seems rather generous all things considered, I thought critics were going to tear it to pieces honestly. I'm glad others are getting more enjoyment out of it than me though, after around 20 hours I'm kind of bored of it to the point where I can't pick it up and it would suck big time if it was the same for every person out there.

IGN's review said the reviewer had about a dozen crashes and that this game was the most crash-prone game he's played on PS4.

I can back this up. The game probably crashes at least once every session I have, and it's usually what ends the session. It really is the most crash-prone game I've played on PS4, and crashing is just one of the technical issues. I had to hard reset my PS4 one time, and that has only ever happened to me once before in the two years I've had this console.

mokeyjoe

71 Metascore with almost 60 reviews. The reception seems rather generous all things considered, I thought critics were going to tear it to pieces honestly. I'm glad others are getting more enjoyment out of it than me though, after around 20 hours I'm kind of bored of it to the point where I can't pick it up and it would suck big time if it was the same for every person out there.

I wish I could say the same. Over 30 hours in and I'm so addicted to it it's messing with my sleep. I actually have productive things to do but I'm either playing No Man's Sky or thinking about playing No Man's Sky.

QaaQer

I wish I could say the same. Over 30 hours in and I'm so addicted to it it's messing with my sleep. I actually have productive things to do but I'm either playing No Man's Sky or thinking about playing No Man's Sky.

That's actually really cool. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, I mean I loved Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, and that game got a lot of hate. I imagine some felt ripped off while others, like me, platinumed it and I still fire it up once in a while to this day.

Bydobob

I nearly choked on my coffee, those are awesome! Love the way the first creature shakes its head like a 3 year old child before campily walking off.

What's most apparent though is just how crude the randomiser is. Those wings on the lumbering creature are hopelessly ill-proportioned - or they might not have been if only the planets simulated different gravitational forces.

Bold One

There are a lot of goofy looking and some rather terrifying creatures in this game

regarding the scores,

All over the place. Was Destiny this divisive ?

There are a lot of goofy looking and some rather terrifying creatures in this game

regarding the scores,

All over the place. Was Destiny this divisive ?
I was bored, so I looked at the reviews. Using the 100 point scale, which is of course a completely inelegant way to compare various review scores, you get an average score of 73 from 58 reviews for NMS. The scores have a standard deviation of 9.9. By Metacritic labeling, NMS has 28 positive and 31 mixed/average reviews

Comparatively, Destiny had an average across platforms of 76 with a standard deviation of 9.6. By Metacritic labeling, Destiny has 68 positive, 38 mixed/average and 1 negative reviews.

So I guess it's pretty similar? Although you could make the point that Destiny did score three points higher to begin with, for whatever that's worth.

Those pictures...is there a bug in the game that makes a quadruped strut around on two legs, or does the game just say screw it? Probably a stupid question with a 2 ton animal flying on tiny wings. That worm though, that may be the funniest thing I've seen. Is it Party Worm the morning after? Looks like it's confused and dry heaving.

Z3M0G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ&feature=youtu.be

Posting this here since the thread was locked and it's closer to a review than anything else.

Warning, does contain spoilers for what's at the center of the galaxy near the end.

So good I'm watching it again.

I can't believe he was on late night shows talking about this game...

I lost my shit when I learned this was $60 because I always knew it looked only like a $20 indy game, which is exactly what it is.

Flipyap

That's one of the stupidest lines from a review I've ever heard.

Yessiree, the game sure really conveys the majesty of the galaxy, what with its utter lack of large planetary landforms and lack of planet types outside of Earth-type rock planets.

There are dozens of films and books that do it better. To suggest otherwise is absolutely insane.

Hell, Space Engine does it better:
Did you read the quote you're mocking? It talks about capturing "the experience of exploring the universe," not about accurately recreating minutiae.
Space Engine is beautiful, but it doesn't and will never make you feel like an explorer, like you're actually setting foot on a strange new world, it won't make you feel lonely and small, because you're nothing but a camera. And non-interactive media are... well, exactly that.

But it's not realistic in the slightest, do they really think it's more effective at capturing the universe than something like Elite Dangerous? And that's just one example.

Not every planet in the universe is a planet you can land on, Digital Downloaded.
While I do think it's a bummer that No Man's Sky doesn't have stuff like gas giants, it still compares favorably to Elite Dangerous, where "exploration" of most types of planets ends at viewing them at a distance. Finding a gas giant in Elite doesn't feel any different than looking at a No Man's Sky planet and deciding not to land on it.

Jobbs

Banned
Has anyone ever explained this quote from this interview?

moly jr said:
"The team programmed some of the physics for aesthetic reasons. For instance, Duncan insisted on permitting moons to orbit closer to their planets than Newtonian physics would allow. When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength."

Like... what? I don't think I've ever heard so much bullshit

There's a difference between hyping your game and putting a positive spin on it -- I understand that completely -- But just outright lying? Saying the most fantastic lies?

Deadbeat

Banned
Has anyone ever explained this quote from this interview?

There's a difference between hyping your game and putting a positive spin on it -- I understand that completely -- But just outright lying? Saying the most fantastic lies?
That's some amazing bullshit spewed. Peter would be proud.

Irminsul

The funny thing is either they or the Atlantic don't know what they're talking about:

"Diffraction refers to various phenomena which occur when a wave encounters an obstacle or a slit."

Yeah no. Rayleigh scattering maybe?

I'm also wondering what "atmospheric particles" are going to do against basic physics that shorter wavelengths (i.e. blue light) are scattered more strongly than long ones.

Jobbs

Banned
As a game dev I'm glad I can just pick a color rather than needing to simulate it at the molecular level... lol

what a farce. what a shame they were so rewarded for their dishonesty

hopefully if sean murray (which sounds like a 90s skater name for some reason) goes out to pitch another game people will be a bit more skeptical of his bullshit

Woodchipper

Way better scores than it deserves in my opinion, I played it 3 hours or so the day after it came out and haven't gone near it since. It doesn't look very good, it's way more repetitive than I expected (and my expectations were low) and it's not fun to play.

STEaMkb

I don't think I've ever heard so much bullshit

Hello Games are not the only developers to implement physically based sky shading. It's been done plenty of times before. Playground Games used dynamic lighting for Forza Horizon 2.

Technical director Alan Roberts breezes through the ins-and-outs of a real-life optical phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering, which is what causes both the vivid blue hue of the midday sky and the red and yellow tones of the sky at sunset. In a nutshell, the sky in Horizon 2 is blue because science dictates it, not because an artist glanced out a window and settled on the closest shade he or she could find.

“This now means that we can simulate the way that light interacts with particles in the atmosphere,” says Roberts. “We no longer have to have artists picking the colour of the sky from a colour picker; we can model the amount of particles in the atmosphere and the sky and the lighting reacts accordingly.”

“That’s how it works in real-life, and that’s exactly how it’s working here,” adds [art director Ben Penrose].

Bringing dynamic weather to the Xbox One means we don't have to 'fake' anything. We can build our weather system with an emphasis on simulation. Our sky isn’t blue in our game because we painted it that color, it’s blue because that’s the way light separates in the air when it interacts with water particles; it’s why the sky is blue in real life. If conditions are right, we can simulate mathematically accurate rainbows in our world, creating these stunning moments of incredible natural beauty.

Did you read the quote you're mocking? It talks about capturing "the experience of exploring the universe," not about accurately recreating minutiae.
Space Engine is beautiful, but it doesn't and will never make you feel like an explorer, like you're actually setting foot on a strange new world, it won't make you feel lonely and small, because you're nothing but a camera. And non-interactive media are... well, exactly that.
Yeah I read the review. It's some of the dumbest shite I've read in a review in a long time. The mere fact that it's trying to excuse the lack of promised multiplayer with a long-winded exposition on existentialism would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

Anyways, quote in question more fully:

No game, film, book or otherwise has been more effective in capturing what the experience of exploring the universe must be. Lonely, hostile and unforgiving, Hello Games' effort works so hard to reject the convention on how games are made that it’s easy to understand why people expecting something more traditional might come away disappointed

First off, suggesting that no other medium have ever as effectively captured a lonely, hostile and unforgiving world is laughable to me. He's welcome to his opinion, and I'm welcome to think it's stupid as all get out.

Second, the whole "people expecting something more traditional" is like the most massive cop-out bullshit of all time.

Third, to your point about feeling like an explorer, feeling lonely and small, yeah, maybe Space Engine doesn't fully convey that. And No Man's Sky doesn't either. Nor does it capture a "lonely, hostile and unforgiving" universe. The universe of No Man's Sky is one of the emptiest and least challenging portraits of sci-fi exploration that I've experienced in a long time.

If the experience of exploring the universe is the mind-bending monotony that No Man's Sky presents, it's no wonder space travel has become a back seat interest to the general public in recent decades.

etking

Banned
I plan to buy this game on PS4 neo release date. From what I have seen so far, the game seems to promote a very deep and critical view on gods and religions which makes it special.

RPGam3r

I don't like this game, I preordered the collectors edition and have since sold it at an obvious loss.

Despite this I find the obsessive behavior to shit in this game by the community to be disheartening.

Effect

Shout out to Brandon for standing up to the rest of the team on that game.

One of the rare cases when I felt like they went completely off their freaking rockers.

He was on point with his questions. I had forgotten this discussion actually took place. It's actually sad that the others didn't even want to entertain the questions or that there really could be a problem that they weren't getting any details or a break down of what you as a player will actually be doing. Brandon was asking all the right things.

Top Bottom