• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

I know some people want to keep themselves completely in the dark, but I personally consider a game this vast virtually unspoilable, at least from watching a few minutes (or hours :3) of streaming. I'll very likely never encounter the same content as another player, and things like "you can upgrade your mining beam" are so trivial and expected that it won't materially impact my enjoyment of the game.

But, diff'rent strokes and all that.

BigDug13

Seems like there's a quest to start right off. Collect the materials needed to repair the broken parts of your ship to leave the planet. There's a chance there's plenty more "quests" thrown at you to achieve certain goals.

BY2K

Membero Americo
maxresdefault.jpg

Mother
FUCKER

I know some people want to keep themselves completely in the dark, but I personally consider a game this vast virtually unspoilable, at least from watching a few minutes (or hours :3) of streaming. I'll very likely never encounter the same content as another player, and things like "you can upgrade your mining beam" are so trivial and expected that it won't materially impact my enjoyment of the game.

Yea I just watched the starting video and now watching his planet exploration. . I don't really see how you can get spoiled.

SomTervo

Nah man - we don't know why we're in this galaxy, we don't know how we got there, we don't know why our objective is the centre or what is there, we don't know what the sentient races are like or their backstories, we don't know other esoteric shit about lore or items

There's a near-infinite amount of stuff that can't be spoiled - but there's also a finite amount of actual key plot /lore facts which CAN definitely be spoiled

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Watched 10mins and I'm in so hard, don't need to see anymore. I want to discover it for myself.

BigDug13

I wonder if the types of required resources to repair your ship are procedurally generated based on what materials are available on your starting planet? Or is the starting planet for everyone some planet that has the exact materials needed to repair your ship as in: everyone's ship needs the exact same materials to repair it and they make sure each of us starts off on a starting planet that contains those resources?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Is there any building in this game?

That's what makes me love Minecraft/Terraria/Starbound. I love exploring and collecting resources, but I love BUILDING stuff with what I find. I love having a "home" base. Just a spaceship won't cut it for me..

SomTervo

SO the answer to "what do you do in NMS" is "collect resources".

You might start on a planet which is one giant, freezing storm and is populated by deadly wasp creatures. In which case you might not collect resources for hours; until you establish a safe space and find shelter.

I wonder if the types of required resources to repair your ship are procedurally generated based on what materials are available on your starting planet? Or is the starting planet for everyone some planet that has the exact materials needed to repair your ship as in: everyone's ship needs the exact same materials to repair it and they make sure each of us starts off on a starting planet that contains those resources?

Yeah I'm pretty sure resources are generated. One hands on preview talked about when a bunch of the team huddled around the writer because he found some crystal resource they'd never seen before.

In terms of balance, we don't know, but they must have tweaked the game like hell to ensure starting planets are survivable

That's what makes me love Minecraft/Terraria/Starbound. I love exploring and collecting resources, but I love BUILDING stuff with what I find. I love having a "home" base. Just a spaceship won't cut it for me..

Not the point of the game. It's a game about exploringa new frontier. So no. (As far as we know.)

1 thing to note about No Man's Sky before release: Upload all of your discoveries. You lose all of it if you die and didn't upload it. It's pretty much like Dark Souls

I wonder if the types of required resources to repair your ship are procedurally generated based on what materials are available on your starting planet?
I'm pretty sure ship repair quest requires "basic" resources, that almost always can be found anywhere (like iron/carbon). But later gear and upgrades will require rare stuff that you will have to search for around different planets.

mike6467

Yeah, no building, which was kind of the deal breaker for me. A lot of this looks great, and I get that it's a wet dream for people who are in love with sci-fi, space and random exploring, but it's not quite enough to warrant a purchase for me. I'm watching the video here and it seems to confirm that. Glad to hear the people who were invested in this are seeing what they wanted though!

Hupsel

I don´t know... I hope the game is really good, but the 30min exploration video was really boring. Almost all of it was the guy pointing a gun (that overheats just to piss you off) at blocks of rocks and collecting resources. For a game like this to not get boring I do think you need a shit ton of weapons, buildings, enemies, spaceships and different exploration buildings in each planet. Almost something like Star Citizen is trying to accomplish (with exploration and resource management added). I don´t think a lite version like NMS will be that interesting in the long run. Hope that Im wrong.

Watched the intro and part of the first planet exploration. I want to play this so bad. I would do some...things for a ps4 or pc to play this on.

Nah man - we don't know why we're in this galaxy, we don't know how we got there, we don't know why our objective is the centre or what is there, we don't know what the sentient races are like or their backstories, we don't know other esoteric shit about lore or items

There's a near-infinite amount of stuff that can't be spoiled - but there's also a finite amount of actual key plot /lore facts which CAN definitely be spoiled

I doubt there's going to be a lot of revelations about that stuff in the first few hours of the game. Plus, isn't all the faction stuff procedural as well? It won't personally bother me to know that race x is warlike and race y are traders, etc.

The center of the galaxy, I'll give you, but on that point I really doubt there will be enough people with early copies so dedicated. I could be surprised, but it should be relatively easy to avoid something that big.

But like I said, diff'rent strokes.

Listonosh

Aaaand the gameplay vids are down

(looks like I was late to the party with this. Must have been taken down while I was watching the explore video)

GAH DAMN I WANT THIS NOW

joecanada

I just thought , will there likely be mods on pc? I am thinking the mods could be unreal for a game like this.

im leaning toward pc

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
i wonder if the user got banned. anyone catch his username? seeing if there is a way to contact the guy on daily motion and see if he can confirm 60fps or not.

edit: nm it's Daymeeuhn

I just thought , will there likely be mods on pc? I am thinking the mods could be unreal for a game like this.

im leaning toward pc

Last time Sean talked about it :

Will There Be Mod Support?
Sean Murray: I think PC games should have Mods and the ability to mod. I almost feel like we need to give them the tools otherwise then they're just going to start making them, tearing apart your game. That's what I have more of a fear of. I think if they get in there and they just start disassembling it they will end up creating parallel universes; like genuinely that's what would happen. They would change the numbers and then someone else would be playing in a different universe, but still posting to our servers.

We will probably give them some tools to allow them to do some stuff. But we don't want people creating new planets within an existing game. I don't think we can stop them doing that if there's a clever enough programmer, which there always is, there are going to be weird things with the game unofficially. But officially I think we probably want to give people some modding ability just so they leave our game alone. Just give them enough creative outlet to keep them busy rather than them thinking of all of the destructive things that they could do.

I'm still really on the fence about this game and them taking these videos down isn't really helping. Like damn can I get the first hour?

ymgve

The video dude is kinda dumb. He's ignored a zillion prompts with PRESS TRIANGLE TO TRANSFER FROM YOUR INVENTORY TO YOUR SHIP and instead decided to discard stuff from his inventory when he ran out of space.

Also, inventory space seems pretty limited, even if you count the "deactivated" squares. Hope you can expand it significantly.

SomTervo

I doubt there's going to be a lot of revelations about that stuff in the first few hours of the game. Plus, isn't all the faction stuff procedural as well? It won't personally bother me to know that race x is warlike and race y are traders, etc.

The center of the galaxy, I'll give you, but on that point I really doubt there will be enough people with early copies so dedicated. I could be surprised, but it should be relatively easy to avoid something that big.

But like I said, diff'rent strokes.

In this post you are acting as if you were talking about being spoiled from early game footage only. But in your original post you were saying, in broad terms, "this game can't really be spoiled". Like, at all.

It definitely can. The 18 quintillion planets and even more races? No. And nobody can spoil your personal adventure. But I'd wager there are at least 20 story/lore elements, not to mention gamed/systems, we likely haven't seen, that will likely be highly spoilable

Top Bottom