• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky went gold

RiverKwai

This isn't really something to worry about

Except it is. There's a greater than zero chance of it happening, no matter how small. It would be worth it to me, personally to have that chance removed. That's all I'm saying. Also, with pc mods, that chance goes up an un knowable percentage based on what people mod into the game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Except it is a game about being the first person to see a place. I don't want the chance that I'll start off on the same planet or be discovering the same planets as someone on pc.

There are 18 quintillion planets. Even if 10 million people bought it across both platforms, the chances of that happening are almost impossible. And then even if it happened, the chances of it being found out is 'impossible'.

You're adding a worry that isn't even worth noting. Relax and enjoy it :)

RiverKwai

Why are you trying to talk me out of my opinion? I know the odds. I would still rather have separate seeds.

It's worth noting to me. I want to see things nobody else has seen. That's what I'm playing for.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why are you trying to talk me out of my opinion? I know the odds. I would still rather have separate seeds.

It's worth noting to me. I want to see things nobody else has seen. That's what I'm playing for.

Perhaps you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not trying to talk you out of your opinion, I'm just trying to put your mind at rest. ;)

You WILL without doubt see things other people haven't seen. There are 18 quintillion planets and only 1% of those will ever be discovered.

Mikey Jr.

Dude, its 18 quintillion planets.

You can rest easy, lol.

Do you really worry about everything, lol.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Welp, here's a quick and dirty book cover attempt, looked through some old sci-fi book covers and basically most of them have these thick, large fonts for the title, so I decided to use a font that's a bit more reminiscent of the time, instead of the original thin NMS logo font.

IZ9HQK3.jpg

I just wanted to say that this is just stellar, simply fantastic. As a huge fan of 60s and before sci-fi, this cover hits all the right notes.

Onemic

I dont really think you understand the odds if you're actually worried about not being able to find undiscovered planets.

Except it is. There's a greater than zero chance of it happening, no matter how small. It would be worth it to me, personally to have that chance removed. That's all I'm saying. Also, with pc mods, that chance goes up an un knowable percentage based on what people mod into the game.
The lifetime odds of dying from a local meteorite, asteroid, or comet impact are 1 in 1,600,000.

Don't leave the house. Also
Compared with 1 in 90 for a car accident, 1 in 250 for a fire, 1 in 60,000 for a tornado, 1 in 135,000 for lightning, 1 in 8 million for a shark attack, or 1 in 195 million for winning the PowerBall lottery.
Stay out of the ocean and congrats on your winning lottery ticket!

Mikey Jr.

I dont really think you understand the odds if you're actually worried about not being able to find undiscovered planets.

I wonder if he stays up at night.

/sweat beads down his forehead.
"What happens if I stumble upon someone elses planet....I can't take that kind of pressure man!"

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The only thing that'll put my mind at ease though is separate seeds. That's the entire point of my original statement. Lol.

:)

You're welcome to think that way but I KNOW without fear of being proven wrong that the planets I find are only planets I've found (to begin with).

Out of curiosity, how are you going to feel when you happen upon a planet that someone else found and named? It's part of the gameplay and has been promoted as such. I'm looking forward to that happening. That's the point of the Atlas. If the PS4 seeds were shared with the PC then the chance of finding a planet someone else has found goes up not down. Think about it. It's better for YOU that they're not shared.

Alebrije

So there will be enought planets so every player could name one including their living beings ?

Does planet names will be scaned or banned by Hello Games? In order lot avoid names like : Fuckland or similar ones ?

So there will be enought planets so every player could name one including their living beings ?

Does planet names will be scaned or banned by Hello Games? In order lot avoid names like : Fuckland or similar ones ?
Yes there will absolutely 100% without a doubt be planets for Everyone to name and discover same goes for any form of life form and ships. He teased they needed a filter for names but idk if they actually put one in

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

There are 18 quintillion planets ... yes, of course, it's the most likely outcome even if you play it for months or even years.

SomTervo

You are literally going to see things nobody else has seen.

Perhaps once every five years of gameplay you'll come upon a planet another person has found.

But mostly you'll just find planet after planet after planet after planet after planet after planet after planet after planet (ad nauseum) that nobody else has seen. Ever. And probably never will see.

RiverKwai

Out of curiosity, how are you going to feel when you happen upon a planet that someone else found and named? It's part of the gameplay and has been promoted as such. I'm looking forward to that happening. If the PS4 seeds were shared with the PC then the chance of finding a planet someone else has found goes up not down. Think about it. It's better for YOU that they're not shared.

I'll feel fine if someone else has discovered a planet and named it.

You seem to not be understanding. If the seeds are shared but not shared cross platform as you previously stated, there's a small chance that two different people will discover the same planet independent of each other, so two people discover it and name it, and etc. I'd prefer that not happen.

If they *are* connected cross platform, then we have to deal with the potential of people modding for an unknown advantage that will unbalance the game. I'd also prefer that not happen.

I'd prefer different planets in different locations with different things on them in different configurations for each platform. That's the only way both of these issues are solved, and the only way, as far as i know.

I'm not saying it's a huge issue. I'm not going to not buy the game, I preordered the limited edition ffs. I'm just saying what i'd prefer and giving very clear reasons for my preferences. I fully understand that there is a snowballs chance in hell that anyone discovers the same planet as me on pc, given the shared seed but not cross platform scenario, all I'm saying is that there would be zero chance If they were different seeds.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'll feel fine if someone else has discovered a planet and named it.

You seem to not be understanding. If the seeds are shared but not shared cross platform as you previously stated, there's a small chance that two different people will discover the same planet independent of each other, so two people discover it and name it, and etc. I'd prefer that not happen.

If they *are* connected cross platform, then we have to deal with the potential of people modding for an unknown advantage that will unbalance the game. I'd also prefer that not happen.

I'd prefer different planets in different locations with different things on them in different configurations for each platform. That's the only way both of these issues are solved, and the only way, as far si know.

I'm not saying it's a huge issue. I'm not going to not buy the game, I preordered the limited edition ffs. I'm just saying what is prefer and giving very clear reasons for my preferences. I fully understand that there is a snowballs chance in hell that anyone discovers the same planet as me on pc, given the shared seed but not cross platform scenario, all I'm saying is that there would be zero chance If they were different seeds.

I do understand what you mean, and to an extent I can relate to it. 'To boldly go ...' can only ever feel real if in fact you CAN actually boldly go where no one else has gone before. I completely get it but, man, it really isn't even worth considering lest you want to add a layer of disappointment that has no real relevance to your personal experience of the universe and everything it has to offer. Come on, there are 18 quintillion planets. Relax :)

How would you even find out that ONE planet out of 18 quintillion has two names?

I'm actually surprised with gafs love for them...how the hell have we not made a no man's sky bingo board by now lol
Strip away the game, everything else, and at the core, you had an uplifting story of a small team tackling an ambitious project and seeing it through, despite great hardships and roadbumps along the way

In IGN's interview, there's a touching anecdote where Sean talks about how, after the flood, the team was trying to dry out parts and building new PCs, and how he said something to the effect of, "Imagine us on the stage at E3." Even though they knew that probably wasn't going to happen, or if they'd even be at E3, but it worked as a rallying cry of sorts, something for the team to strive for together after this major setback

So seeing them genuinely happy with the game finished is really exciting.

Strip away the game, everything else, and at the core, you had an uplifting story of a small team tackling an ambitious project and seeing it through, despite great hardships and roadbumps along the way

In IGN's interview, there's a touching anecdote where Sean talks about how, after the flood, the team was trying to dry out parts and building new PCs, and how he said something to the effect of, "Imagine us on the stage at E3." Even though they knew that probably wasn't going to happen, or if they'd even be at E3, but it worked as a rallying cry of sorts, something for the team to strive for together after this major setback

So seeing them genuinely happy with the game finished is really exciting.
It's the best feeling ever. Feel like I was on the team myself with how happy I am they're done. Such a ride. I kind of just want to sleep they july

True Fire

It's like a year old, but I did one.
Prob needs to be updated.

Capture.JPG

I really don't understand why we're making fun of people for having legitimate concerns about a game with a dozen red flags? I know that people are hyped for NMS, but pretending that the game doesn't have anything to prove isn't going to save it.

E92 M3

I really don't understand why we're making fun of people for having legitimate concerns about a game with a dozen red flags? I know that people are hyped for NMS, but pretending that the game doesn't have anything to prove isn't going to save it.

Dozen red flags? LOL

Maybe if the person refusing to use google.

Nothing to hard to understand what the game is about: Minecraft + The Long Dark.

RiverKwai

I do understand what you mean, and to an extent I can relate to it. 'To boldly go ...' can only ever feel real if in fact you CAN actually boldly go where no one else has gone before. I completely get it but, man, it really isn't even worth considering lest you want to add a layer of disappointment that has no real relevance to your personal experience of the universe and everything it has to offer. Come on, there are 18 quintillion planets. Relax :)

How would you even find out that ONE planet out of 18 quintillion has two names?

The only reason I mentioned it was on the last page someone said everyone wanted shared seeds. I just wanted to mention that I don't, and why. I'm not going to stress out over it or anything. Just because a game isn't 100% the way I'd prefer it to be doesn't mean I'm going to be upset about it. I'm just saying that if I were in charge of the decision. I'd make different seeds. I fully understand math, and I know I'd be addressing a nearly impossible scenario, but it's still a scenario I'd prioritize doing away with based on my specific wants.

I plan on uploading detailed exploration logs to my nms blog. I assume others will prob do the same, one could assume that others will be comparing notes. I will be sharing those logs with different communities and posting them in appropriate threads. That's likely how one would find out. :)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Welp, here's a quick and dirty book cover attempt, looked through some old sci-fi book covers and basically most of them have these thick, large fonts for the title, so I decided to use a font that's a bit more reminiscent of the time, instead of the original thin NMS logo font.

EDIT:
BTW, not my intention to hijack the thread or anything, was simply inspired by something More_Badass said so I wanted to try what an NMS book cover might look like, that's all. :)
I meant to comment on this when you posted it and I didn't get around to it, but it's awesome! Really hits my nostalgia button from the books I used to read in the library.

It's the best feeling ever. Feel like I was on the team myself with how happy I am they're done. Such a ride. I kind of just want to sleep they july
It really has been. How the orignal 4 worked on the game in secret. How Geoff Keighley fought for them to get a spot as a VGA reveal, and then how Sean got nervous and tried to have the trailer pulled. NMS center-stage at E3, then the flood

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The only reason I mentioned it was on the last page someone said everyone wanted shared seeds. I just wanted to mention that I don't, and why. I'm not going to stress out over it or anything. Just because a game isn't 100% the way I'd prefer it to be doesn't mean I'm going to be upset about it. I'm just saying that if I were in charge of the decision. I'd make different seeds. I fully understand math, and I know I'd be b addressing a nearly impossible scenario, but it's still a scenario I'd prioritize doing away with based on my specific wants.

I plan on uploading detailed exploration logs to my nms blog. I assume others will prob do the same, one could assume that others will be doing that as well. I will be sharing those logs with different communities and posting them in appropriate threads. That's likely how one would find out. :)

Fair enough, fella, I won't labour the point. I will say though that although I find your concern a little OTT I'd have to conclude that out of many people who attempt to understand what Sean and his team are trying to replicate, YOU understand it better than most. That's why you have that concern. You are in fact a REAL No Man's Skyer.

RiverKwai

Fair enough, fella, I won't labour the point. I will say though that although I find your concern a little OTT I'd have to conclude that out of many people who attempt to understand what Sean and his team are trying to replicate, YOU understand it better than most. That's why you have that concern. You are in fact a REAL No Man's Skyer.

Lol thanks

Is this game Multiplayer? Steam shows it as only having single player :c

Think of the multiplayer like Journey-lite in space. You fly around with a small lobby, other players can enter it, however the chances of that happening are very small, albiet better nearer the centre. It's not an MMO. It is, for all intents and purposes, a single-player experience.

Top Bottom