• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Multiplayer for Bioshock

{Mike}

Banned
Bluemercury said:
you'd have to play system shock and deusx to understand......

Well I played System Shock II and Deus EX. I'll read more about Bioshock then, now I'm interested :lol

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
SnakeXs said:
Honestly, if you don't see what makes Bioshock special, you don't WANT to see it.

Aside from amazing atmosphere and settings, the pedigree alone (spiritual succesor to SS2,for ****'s sake), and the entire theory behind the gameplay being ****ing awesome? Everything interacts, nothing is 100%, and there's a give-and-take for just about every action.

I'm not gonna post long drawn out examples, since they're around. Like I said, if you don't see what makes Bioshock special, you're not trying to see it.

To be fair, I could see how one could see it as "Just another FPS/RPG in the vein of SS2/Deus Ex." It's sticking pretty closely to the System Shock 2 formula - in fact, most of the core mechanics don't seem to be all that different at all.

The real test for this game, ultimately, will be how intricately, predictably, and interestingly the various creatures and systems that aren't the player interact. If it's just a few scripted events where the girls come out of the vents and the suits protect them when in their vicinity, then it's going to largely be uninteresting. But if there's a constantly moving and changing ecosystem all around you that you can interact with meaningfully, the game will be absolutely stunning.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Campster said:
To be fair, I could see how one could see it as "Just another FPS/RPG in the vein of SS2/Deus Ex." It's sticking pretty closely to the System Shock 2 formula - in fact, most of the core mechanics don't seem to be all that different at all.

The real test for this game, ultimately, will be how intricately, predictably, and interestingly the various creatures and systems that aren't the player interact. If it's just a few scripted events where the girls come out of the vents and the suits protect them when in their vicinity, then it's going to largely be uninteresting. But if there's a constantly moving and changing ecosystem all around you that you can interact with meaningfully, the game will be absolutely stunning.

Just from the few examples we've been given, and have seen, I'd say that that occuring would be a longshot (and a major letdown).

With all the possibilities, and the supposed AI guiding it all, it's gonna be very, very "open ended" in a new sense. A lot is very-SS2, but the adition of the AI and the whole "ecosystem" will change so much.

*plasmids you so Big Daddies hate you*

"To be fair, I could see how one could see it as "Just another FPS/RPG in the vein of SS2/Deus Ex.""

Because there's so many of them, right? I dunno, the fact that someone could only name 2 game series since the dawn of gaming to compare it to and it's been 7-8 years since the last (decent) one, eh...calling it "Just another FPS" would be pretty short sighted (and yeah, I know the guy who posted it is interested in the game now).

And the lack of multi-player's no big deal, while I would probably dig (maybe?) some co-op, maybe they'll patch it in afterwards.

KGKK

Banned
I never understood the hype for Bioshock. It just seems like it will be another 5 hour sp game with some nice bright ideas never used to its full potential.

I'm always relieved when games that don't need multiplayer don't have it. Now let's hope it's not tacked on in Assassin's Creed.

Wait, co-oping the story mode could be incredible.

Also ... not adding multiplayer to Bioshock makes the June release date seem even more likely.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
KGKK said:
I never understood the hype for Bioshock. It just seems like it will be another 5 hour sp game with some nice bright ideas never used to its full potential.

Playing through these sorts of games once is a ludic crime of horrible proportions. These aren't designed to be content munchers.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
KGKK said:

What do you see in this glass of water? I bet it's bone dry, right?

Everything is as it should be.

Although SS2 style co-op would've been neat. Maybe as a mod for the PC version. If the 360 version beats the PC version to the shelves by more than a month I might have to buy this game twice.

Ganondorfo

I think it's a good thing, really there aren't many fps that you only play for the single player campaign (exception: half life 2 and riddick).

Acosta

P-E-R-F-E-C-T

Thanks Irrational for showing some common sense.

"Just another FPS/RPG in the vein of SS2/Deus Ex.""

Oh, yes please, no more game like these. I would prefer another pure shooter, it has passed a long time since I saw one.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I love how some of you people say "Good, I want a deep and rich single player!"

The ****?

Having one doesn't take away from the other. If the developer is GOOD they can do both. Gears of War proves this.

No multiplayer is lame.

goldenpp72

and gears had a 8 hour tops single player, with a multiplayer with only 3 modes and 10 maps. had they focused on one or the other it would have been more content laden on either end, which is what we HOPE to get out of bioshock (a long single player game full of depth)

Borys

Banned
This is not a troll but I remember how "*every* game will have multiplayer over Xbox live" was hyped up right before 360 launch. Every game my ass... not that <INSERT_ANY_WORD>Shock needs multiplayer mind you.

Don't buy this game and I'll drink your blood Xbox fans. I dare you to buy 2 millions copies of BioShock!

Tain

The ****?

Having one doesn't take away from the other. If the developer is GOOD they can do both. Gears of War proves this.

No multiplayer is lame.

Do you expect RPGs to have multiplayer or something? Not saying that this is fully an RPG, but this kind of game simply doesn't mesh with competitive play. And hell, even cooperative play initially dampened my love for System Shock 2, until I got around to finishing it alone.

Having both doesn't always take away from the other, but this is like expecting a deep singleplayer campaign in UT2007.

Borys said:
This is not a troll but I remember how "*every* game will have multiplayer over Xbox live" was hyped up right before 360 launch. Every game my ass... not that <INSERT_ANY_WORD>Shock needs multiplayer mind you.

Don't buy this game and I'll drink your blood Xbox fans. I dare you to buy 2 millions copies of BioShock!

Please provide a source, because I think you are trolling. Every game is live aware, but that does not mean the same thing.

Aaron

omg rite said:

No multiplayer is lame.
Having almost no story is lame. Gears proved that, and I'd rather Bioshock didn't follow the same route.

goldenpp72

I recall microsoft saying every game must support some form of online, which included being live aware and live compatible, but I never recalled them saying every game must be online multiplayer.

I imagine the 360 would have a very small lineup if microsoft tried to enforce such a stupid demand.

Tieno

omg rite said:

The ****?

No multiplayer is lame.
Cliffy admitted the multiplayer was an afterthought. They were suprised how much people liked it at the E3 (and other) events so they put some more effort in. I love the gears mp, most fun with mp I've had but it's not as feature rich as some of the games out there. The GOW team wasn't that big either, 30-45 people according to reports.

I think it's hard for a small team to stretch itself to make a satisfying mp and sp. Especially when you have a limited budget/time.

maxmars

Having played past LG games I can say that multiplayer is no such great loss, as they've always been able to come out with great single player gameplay.

Even SS2 multiplayer honestly felt a little tacked on, because the original story was all about a single person.

I did not follow closely the development of this game so I don't know if multiplayer was an addition or a fundamental feature (e.g. gears of war), but if it was to be like metroid prime 2 multi, then good riddance I say.

omg rite said:

The ****?

No multiplayer is lame.

Gears of War had a big edge in the MP department though-it was made by Epic, a development house with a long history of making multiplayer shooters. They probably had a lot of the plumbing code and people with know-how in house in order to make an effective multiplayer mode. Don't think IG has that kind of "bench".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is great news. I'm glad they're focusing on the heart of the game, rather than tacking on some multiplayer that wouldnt mesh with the final package anyway.

GhaleonEB

Borys said:

You need to caveat every one of your posts in 360 threads, since you're a self-declared Xbox-hater. :lol

Where did MS say every game would have MP over live? I don't recall that claim being made about Oblivion, or any other SP-focused game. MP where it makese sense is a good thing, but it does not always make sense.

Feindflug

No MP is ok with me, I just want a great SP and the game looks amazing but no demo sucks....BTW isn't The Darkness also a "only SP" FPS? o_O

pswii60

Dr_Cogent said:
Link

I say good. I want a full rich single player experience that rules like System Shock 2 did.

Demos take time. Gears didn't have it, and I doubt this game will need one either.

IMO this is great news. While I like multiplayer, single player is still my priority and the move towards multiplayer-only gaming (Shadowrun) has worried me somewhat. If anything, this has put my fears to rest...

Multi-player wouldn't have been very good. What are they going to do, let you be a Big Daddy or Little Sister?

Multi-player would have been just like many other FPS games except in the Bioshock setting. So it would not have added anything and wouldn't have been much fun. I'm glad they are not wasting time on that and are instead spending that time on the single player story & AI.

antiloop said:
Going by this thread I would say mp is overrated. I approve. :)

Multi-player is great in general, but it doesn't make much sense in this setting. The game is heavy in NPC AI and human players wouldn't act in the same manner as the NPC AI.

painey

i like single player only games when they are done well, the only problem of course is that the replay value is so low. I cannot justify paying full price for a single player only FPS

maxmars

painey said:
i like single player only games when they are done well, the only problem of course is that the replay value is so low. I cannot justify paying full price for a single player only FPS

I did not regret paying for SS, SS2, Thief and Thief 2; they were all outstanding games, expecially SS and Thief (the originals). I mean, some companies do know how to make a single player game, and TLG was one of them.. Let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

Fady K

Dr_Cogent said:
Link

I say good. I want a full rich single player experience that rules like System Shock 2 did.

Demos take time. Gears didn't have it, and I doubt this game will need one either.

Agreed. This news makes me happy. Now I know that single-player will be where its at :)

SnakeXs said:
Honestly, if you don't see what makes Bioshock special, you don't WANT to see it.

Aside from amazing atmosphere and settings, the pedigree alone (spiritual succesor to SS2,for ****'s sake), and the entire theory behind the gameplay being ****ing awesome? Everything interacts, nothing is 100%, and there's a give-and-take for just about every action.

I'm not gonna post long drawn out examples, since they're around. Like I said, if you don't see what makes Bioshock special, you're not trying to see it.

This game is looking so damn awesome :)

painey

maxmars said:
I did not regret paying for SS, SS2, Thief and Thief 2; they were all outstanding games, expecially SS and Thief (the originals). I mean, some companies do know how to make a single player game, and TLG was one of them.. Let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

xbox 360 games cost alot more than PC games

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
disappeared said:
Did it really need multiplayer in the first place?
YES.

I couldn't possibly care less about multiplayer in 95% of the games I buy, but Bioshock was one game where I feel it is critical. Oh, the game should be great regardless, but half of the experience is missing.

What half? CO-OP play.

System Shock 2 is my absolute favorite CO-OP game of all time. NOTHING even begins to approach the experience of playing System Shock 2 in CO-OP. I was dying for the opportunity to do it again. What's more, it was added in a patch so the whole thing was actaully somewhat tacked on...yet was still so awesome.

These games really push character building, right? Teaming up with other players who have specialized in unique traits greatly improves the experience. Unlike an MMORPG, however, the game itself is incredibly intense and focused. Strategies were born out of scenarios that probably were never intended to be used (or at least not in the way we did it).

For example, take the cargo bays. Yes, those were pretty darn scary at times. You have those large mechs patrolling the area and, at this stage in the game, they can tear you to shreds in a matter of seconds. One approach we took was having one of us take one of the two elevators in a cargo room up to the second floor. Then, the other simply draws the lumbering beast near the elevator platform at which time your partner drops the lift right on his head blowing him up. The excitement of facing extremely deadly foes with limited supplies was awesome. That enemy would have depleted your ammo and likely destroyed your weapons had you decided to tackle him head on. There were scenarios like this throughout the game and it was so incredibly satisfying to play through it in this fashion.

I think I'm going to have to do this again soon, actually. I'm getting a craving for it.

Draft

Lack of coop is a little disappointing, especially since it was implemented so well in System Shock 2. Not a huge deal, because the game still looks tits, but it would have been nice.

Borys said:

When the hell did anybody say that? Heck, King Kong was a launch title.

Borys said:

I dare you to buy a 360.

Mau ®

Who cares? Was someone really expecting MP out of this?

Im excited for this although Im not a fan of the crazy color pallete.

RavenFox

Banned
SnakeXs said:

yup

Unison

No Co-Op is a bummer, but it's hardly a deal-breaker.

It would be stupid to want deathmatch or some CTF variant for this game.

Ponn

Banned
Unison said:
It would be stupid to want deathmatch or some CTF variant for this game.

I think its just lack of imagination or thinking that FPS Multiplayer has to = CTF/Deathmatch. The whole appeal of Bioshock for me is the RPGish power-ups and out-of-the-box way of accomplishing goals. Some of this is being added to Shadowrun which sounds like just one giant multiplayer game yet no one is saying that is out of place. If the developers want to concentrate on single player thats fine by me, but to say multiplayer can't be done or would be out of place is making up excuses for old stale mindsets. I would actually be interested in seeing a good multiplayer version done right for this game.

There was another quote from that Q&A that has the PC folks on the internets ready to go burn down a stack of 360s and pee on the ashes:

Are there any lessons from Deus Ex 2 that the team has learned and is using when making BioShock?
Many development teams have learned important lessons from previous attempts to bring PC games to the console, though Deus Ex 2 is an infamous example. One of the main things we are doing differently is that we are leading our development efforts with the 360. Therefore all decisions on HUD and gameplay situations are made on the 360 and brought over to the PC to avoid the situations you are thinking about.

This has gotten some serious play over at Blue's and Shacknews. Here's the official response from Chris Kline over at Irrational:

That FAQ entry is not accurate. According to Ken Levine, it was written by our new community development liaison who is coming to Boston this week to get fully briefed on our development process.

- Chris Kline, Lead Programmer

And by "fully briefed", I bet he means "dressed down". Golden rule #1 when talking about PC-styled games from renown PC developers that are also going to consoles-NEVER make it sound like you are making the decisions on the console first and then retrofitting them to the PC. That leads to terrible horrible visions of the Deus Ex 2's many shortcomings, from the teeny-tiny levels, the ammo fiasco, and the great UI wheel experiment gone terribly wrong.

This is more of a PSA to the PC gamers here. That quote in the Q&A is not quite right.

Tieno

Fragamemnon said:
There was another quote from that Q&A that has the PC folks on the internets ready to go burn down a stack of 360's and pee on the ashes:

This has gotten some serious play over at Blue's and Shacknews. Here's the official response from Chris Kline over at Irrational:

And by "fully briefed", I bet he means "dressed down". Golden rule #1 when talking about PC-styled games from renown PC developers that are also going to consoles-NEVER make it sound like you are making the decisions on the console first and then retrofitting them to the PC. That leads to terrible horrible visions of the Deus Ex 2's many shortcomings, from the teeny-tiny levels, the ammo fiasco, and the great UI wheel experiment gone terribly wrong.

This is more of a PSA to the PC gamers here. That quote in the Q&A is not quite right.
Hahaha :lol :lol that's so funny. Would have loved to see those scared PC gamers.

Top Bottom