• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PS2/psOne Memory Card ports on ps3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The hell? I thought there was a slot beneath that front panel? It certainly looked like there was (it was of the right size). Why would they remove the option?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
dark10x said:
The hell? I thought there was a slot beneath that front panel? It certainly looked like there was (it was of the right size). Why would they remove the option?

Ps2 or P1 slots have never been on the PS3.

<pats Action Replay USB Key>

Flo_Evans

yeah I read this in PSM yesterday.. kinda sucks!

really the only game save I care about is GT4 though.... perhaps they could do something with the PSP to transfer the saves?

dark10x

DarienA said:
What exactly is that large slot under the cover then?

I had never read it to be a memory card slot, mind you, but it certainly appeared to be one.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarienA said:
Bingo. Specs released at E3 did not include them.

Edit: Dark, the slots under the cover are form Memory Stick, SD and CF cards. You probably saw the CF slot and assumed that was for PS1/2 memory cards.

DarienA

dark10x said:
What exactly is that large slot under the cover then?

I had never read it to be a memory card slot, mind you, but it certainly appeared to be one.

picture?

Flo_Evans

I think the large slot was supposed to be a CF card slot? PSM said the PS3 was going to support memory stick duo only though too...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I actually support this decision because it will be nice to have all of my saves in one place without having to search through several memory cards to find the right one (I've got like 6 PS1 cards and 4 PS2 cards).

Besides, I'm sure they will come out with something that will allow you to transfer them and if not, its not like you won't be able to download most of the saves off the internet and put them on a memory stick.

neptunes

That didn't occur to me, they could simply release an official ps2 usb key to transfer saves for those that REALLY need it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well I was sort of expecting an official wireles or USB hub for legacy devices - it would be a nice gesture and Sony could make some money off it all at the same time.
At least they need to make something like that for controllers :p

dark10x

DarienA said:
I don't have a picture, it was part of the Sony conference. When they were showing the PS3 up close, they showed three ports beneath the flip cover on the front of the unit. I have a high quality DVD version of the conference and that segment is direct feed.

DarienA

dark10x said:
I don't have a picture, it was part of the Sony conference. When they were showing the PS3 up close, they showed three ports beneath the flip cover on the front of the unit. I have a high quality DVD version of the conference and that segment is direct feed.

As others have said I think you're thinking of the compact flash slot.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
That's for flash media - memory stick, SD and CF.

DarienA

MomoPufflet said:
Oh, I'm sure you'll be able to transfer saves to PS3. Right after you pay Sony $35 for an accessory to do it.

I guess MS and Sony think alike after all....

Has MS announced yet how they are handling transfer of games saves?

Looks like both company's have some work to do there...

Dachande

Well, that's a bit cack. I wanted to keep using my PS2 Hori arcade stick. But oh well, I don't intend on getting rid of my PS2 - it's chipped and I have import games for it, so I need it for them.

The extra part in the article about deep interaction between PSP and PS3 sounds interesting. Not only teh connectivity in games, but it will act like a remote/interface for data management with the PS3.

Although they'd still need a way for non-PSP owners to be able transfer files, it'd be nice if you could plug your PSP into your PS2, download all your save files and then use your PSP to transfer the files to your PS3 via wifi.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, there had better be a usb memory card reader. or something. which i'll grudgingly buy. i don't see the point of being able to play my old games if i can't use my old game saves. although this does suggest that ps3 will be able to read and write game saves directly from and to memory sticks/sd cards/etc. which will be nice.

Flo_Evans

Himuro said:
When I read this in psm a part of me died. What's the point of having backwards compatibility then?

FFXII. :D

there are already USB devices that will let you transfer your PS2/PS1 saves to the PC, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, just kind of a hassle - and you have to buy extra crap.

If Sony were nice, they'd release a free disc utitlity with the PS2 that would support USB -> USB transfer of memory cards data and sell the cable for $5-$10 or sell a USB adapter that lets the PS3 use a memory card (which would probably be a bit more expensive ~$10-$20

You could say to use the internet to store the data somewhere for the PS3 to get to or to use the PSP, but many, many PS2 owners don't have internet access (or even an internet adapter) and fewer still have a PSP at this point.

jarrod

Banned
e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517100455584.jpg

Nice to know at least somebody cares about it's fanbase. :p

jarrod said:

Only after, of course three successive consoles where they kindasorta promised backwards compatibility and then fuffed out on it. :p

Also, to note: Revolution to GC is as PS2 to PSX is. :p

Himuro said:
When I read this in psm a part of me died. What's the point of having backwards compatibility then?
from what I got from the article, they were going to have to move over to memory sticks eventually, or continue to have PS1/PS2 memory cards slots in PS3/PS4/etc. Now everything will be on memory sticks, which once you get everything moved over, will be alot easier to manage. One cheap 128mb stick will hold literally hundreds of save files, instead of stacks of PS1/PS2 memory cards, in addition to your PS3 save files on memory stick.

jarrod

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Only after, of course three successive consoles where they kindasorta promised backwards compatibility and then fuffed out on it. :p
Actually, it was only promised on SNES iirc. But point taken. :p

Dragona Akehi said:
Also, to note: Revolution to GC is as PS2 to PSX is. :p
Can't GC saves also be written to the internal flash ram though? That's a (slight) step up at least (plus a non-propitery memory solution for Revolution games).

jarrod said:
Actually, it was only promised on SNES iirc. But point taken. :p

I figured you'd bring that up. It sounded so much more impressive when I typed it out the way I did. :p Though, if I recall, they did flirt with the idea with the SFC > N64 for about... say... a millisecond.

Can't GC saves also be written to the internal flash ram though? That's a (slight) step up at least (plus a non-propitery memory solution for Revolution games).

True, but my real point is that it's only really "backwards compatible" with the previous gen, and thereforeable to read the mem card natively, like PS2. (Yes yes emulation station but you can't stick NES carts into the damn thing.)

Now if Nintendo REALLY loved us (yeah right) they'd let you definately write GC saves to the Flash ROM like you said, or whatever new mem card/SD card dealio they're coming out with.

BUT THEY WON'T BECAUSE THEY WANT OUR MONIES.

Zeo

Banned
Not a big deal at all people.

First off, you can save them all to one place, which was a stupid thing you couldn't do on PS2.

Second of all, I'm sure there will be multiple ways to transfer saves. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that MaxDrive thingy.

Zeo said:
Not a big deal at all people.

First off, you can save them all to one place, which was a stupid thing you couldn't do on PS2.

Second of all, I'm sure there will be multiple ways to transfer saves. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that MaxDrive thingy.

Yeah but you have to BUY that solution.

Zeo

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah but you have to BUY that solution.

Please, you're going to be spending 400-500 bucks on the console anyway. I'm sure you can fork up 10-30 bucks for a Max Drive or Shark Port or whatever.

PhatSaqs said:
This is BS Sony! -1 PS3 sales! How do you expect me to play my dirt old games..... ......!
MS and Sony are in the same boat right now. Neither has detailed how exactly they expect gamers to transfer save files.

Zeo said:
Please, you're going to be spending 400-500 bucks on the console anyway. I'm sure you can fork up 10-30 bucks for a Max Drive or Shark Port or whatever.

See that's exactly the point. If I'm putting down that kind of money, Sony, MS or CRAP ON A STICK can be good enough to GIVE ME PROPER BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY SUPPORT OUT OF THE BOX AT NO EXTRA COST.

And no, I don't have 10-30 bucks for that bullshit. At that point, that'll be a cheap current gen game. :p

Jim

By the same token, I guess the Revolution isn't backward compatible either... How are you going to get your battery backed up NES, SNES, and N64 saves to the Revolution? :)

I can't see how not being able to continue a game you started 7 years ago can affect "how" backwards compatible a console is. You can just start a new game.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
jarrod said:

I realize it's still only a prototype, but plugging controllers into the top of a system kind of seems like a bad idea. At least when they're plugged in the front, you have a chance you'll just yank the controller out of its port if you pull on it accidently. Unless the Revolution is going to have little suction cups on the bottom, that sucker's gonna get yanked over alot. Who knows, perhaps such suctions cups are the revolution.

evil ways

So what's it gonna be, Hard Drive, USB accessory, or perhaps a multi purpose backwards compatible PS3 Memory Card/Stick?

Disappointing news for me, as have been issues related to bc with Xbox 360. Especially regarding those 80+ hour jrpg game saves from both PS1 and PS2 that I already have the chores of leveling/earning secrets completed. Those are not games I'd want to replay fully through or have the time to do so, yet by having the save around one can play around with the battle system at leisure and/or check out the end-boss/ending all over again.

jarrod

Banned
Jim said:
By the same token, I guess the Revolution isn't backward compatible either... How are you going to get your battery backed up NES, SNES, and N64 saves to the Revolution? :)

I can't see how not being able to continue a game you started 7 years ago can affect "how" backwards compatible a console is. You can just start a new game.
How many GameCube games did you start 7 years ago?

It's interesting to watch delayed realizations hit people. We've known for months that there would be no legacy memory card slots on the PS3 folks. Yes, it means for game saves, we'll have to buy something (or at least have already bought something Max Drive, Flash Drive, PSP, whatever).

I guess it sort of underlines what backwards compatability is and isn't.

The PS3 has backwards compatability with the PS2 & PSOne games, but not the peripherals. Clearly, 3rd parties will step in here quickly with PS2 -> USB converters for both controllers & memory cards.

Hopefully, the GT3/GT4 wheels will work, because it'll suck to have to buy another wheel next generation.

Gek54

I thought the only thing the PS2 didnt support was the multitap and that was becuase the old Multitap wouldnt support the analog buttons of the DS2.

Top Bottom