• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No seriously, why is my PS4 so goddamn loud?

Gold Member
Yeah I know they both run off the hard drive. Just saying thats what I notice from using my PS4. If I play The last of us or killzone, which I own on disc, I can hear the fan. However when I play Destiny, which is a digital own game, I do not hear the fan.
Both TLOU and KZ are pretty demanding games from what I remember of them, my fans kicked up a bit playing those too. Destiny is probably just less so (wasn't there that whole parity thing? I forget).

My PS4 fans do kick in occasionally but I wouldn't say it was really noticeable. I have it on a floating shelf underneath my TV at the end of my bed so it gets good airflow and I'm only about 6' away. If it was whining of something along those lines I'd definitely hear it as I'm pretty sensitive to stuff like that. Anyway it pails into insignificance compared to my PC's GPU (GTX 980) - now that thing is a jet engine lol!

DavidDesu

It's definitely fairly loud for some games, TLoU definitely got my attention. Must be down to the fact it's such a tightly packed console compared to the cavernous Xbox One. I'm pretty sure it's still quieter all round, and 90% of the time way quieter than my PS3 Slim ever was though so I'm still happy with it. I exclusively use headphones when gaming now as my TV sound is rubbish and it's more immersive, so from that standpoint it's not an issue to me.

Would love it to be quieter though of course. I wonder if we'll ever see a PS4 Slim, to me their first design looks like the Slim variant already so I'm not holding out much hope :p I'm happy with the trade off, I still think the Xbox One is ludicrously bulky. After MS's change of focus I'm still considering maybe getting an XB1 one day, but definitely not until it's more compact (and cheaper).

I own an XB1 and PS4. If I could put the PS4 in a case the size of the XB1 and get a bigger fan I would do it today.

I had to move it on top my tv stand because the acoustics in the stand amplify it. To me PS4 imposes on me more than XB1.

Why would they design it to throw all the heat behind it when most tv stands are against the wall or have a back on them. It's so cramped the HDMI and AC cord block air flow if you check out our when it's in action.

For first revision I want a 120MM fan not a smaller case.

njean777

I am hoping for a slim model with better cooling or something. My Xbox is quiet compared to the ps4, but I play most of my games on ps4. It is loud and really annoying, but I am getting used to it.

I've had mine since launch and it has had heavy use. Even after almost 8 hours straight of gaming it doesn't get loud. Something might be wrong with yours or you don't have it ventilated very well.

Rafterman

Banned
I am hoping for a slim model with better cooling or something. My Xbox is quiet compared to the ps4, but I play most of my games on ps4. It is loud and really annoying, but I am getting used to it.

How are people expecting a slim model with better cooling? The entire reason the thing is hotter and louder than the Xbone is because it's so damn small. Making it smaller won't fix anything and I very seriously doubt that Sony releases a bigger model. In fact, I think the PS4 was designed not to have to go through multiple revisions of shape and size like previous consoles.

Jezbollah

How are people expecting a slim model with better cooling? The entire reason the thing is hotter and louder than the Xbone is because it's so damn small. Making it smaller won't fix anything and I very seriously doubt that Sony releases a bigger model. In fact, I think the PS4 was designed not to have to go through multiple revisions of shape and size like previous consoles.

^^ This is not entirely true. If they were to make the APU on a smaller die it would run cooler and would require less power. Same for other chip based components.

I've had mine since launch and it has had heavy use. Even after almost 8 hours straight of gaming it doesn't get loud. Something might be wrong with yours or you don't have it ventilated very well.

Let's stop focusing on people who think it's loud. There are countless threads on sites across the internet. Bottom line it has a sub 120mm fan on it that doesn't blow directly out as it is piped to back. I've had two PS4s Notre most recent two days ago. They are loud.

Let's be productive and help people out. HOW IS YOURS SET UP? You have a unauidable one help us out.

Horp

Mine is pretty loud. In some games it's a lot louder than other games, too. Just tried the PSPlus-free Infamous First Light, and the PS4 is louder than ever in that game. To the point where I had to increase the TV volume a bit.

Fbh

Mabye put it in a more open space or something. Or consider sending it to Sony for a replacement

It's pretty hot where I live right now (someking like 35 C° during the day) and I can use my Ps4 for hours without it getting loud, playing graphically heavy games like Dragon Age.

I mean sure you can hear it if you turn down the volume on the TV a bit, but not more than my Ps3 Slim or my WiiU

My PS4 is about as loud as my slim.

Problem is my slim has about 3 yeats of dust clogging up the fans.

I have to say, im not impressed with how loud or hot it runs, sony cheaped out on the fan.

Mine gets hot but not nearly as much as my Slim Ps3. Seriously, touch that one on the lower side after 1-2 hours of playing and it's incredibly hot. You could probably make fried eggs on it.

Still it was like that since the very first day and I used to worry. It has been like 5 years since then with A LOT of use and it still works like a charm

Rafterman

Banned
^^ This is not entirely true. If they were to make the APU on a smaller die it would run cooler and would require less power. Same for other chip based components.

Only if they kept it in the same size case. i.e. no slim version. Smaller die isn't going to help if they shrink the case again.

Oxn

Ive been playing TLOU, and I havent heard a peep from my PS4. Albeit it is digital though, so i dunno if that matters, and The distance from me and the console is about 10 feet.

I honestly dont hear a thing. But i do hear my XBOne fan, and I can hear my PS3.

I appreciate feedback front the users with quite system setups so far.

Can we contribute to get an idea of the set ups from people who have quite systems?

i.e. on shelf Vs on top tv stand - 6 ft away V. 10 ft away. - Headphones V. Tv sound...

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Ive been playing TLOU, and I havent heard a peep from my PS4. Albeit it is digital though, so i dunno if that matters, and The distance from me and the console is about 10 feet.

I honestly dont hear a thing. But i do hear my XBOne fan, and I can hear my PS3.

Playing FC4, digital, it starts quiet on mine, then jet engine. I am three ft. from it, and it sits on top of my TV stand with nothing near the back. It sits horizontally. My digital TLOU play is pretty quiet.

Just got one a few weeks ago, when playing TLOU it's shoot loud. Easily one of the loudest consoles I've owned.

It doesn't bother me as I usually play with a headset though

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I appreciate feedback front the users with quite system setups so far.

Can we contribute to get an idea of the set ups from people who have quite systems?

i.e. on shelf Vs on top tv stand - 6 ft away V. 10 ft away. - Headphones V. Tv sound...
Mine is located in a low board with no back door but 11 cm space towards the wall. My system is quiet.

Yesterday I was playing some FIFA at someone else's house and it was also quiet. But then he turned on DA:I after ~3 hours of FIFA and it immediately got loud.

He had even better ventilation than I did as far as I could see, but I didn't inspect it closely, just eye measurement from memory.

Additional information just because I thought it might be interesting:
I just tried FIFA (offline versus), Destiny (Earth patrol), The Last of Us (SP Museum) and Dragon Age (SP Hinterlands) to compare how much watt they use. After boot: 100 Watt for Destiny and FIFA. After TLoU and DA:I which were at 120 Watt, Destiny was at 110 Watt on average.

Let's stop focusing on people who think it's loud. There are countless threads on sites across the internet. Bottom line it has a sub 120mm fan on it that doesn't blow directly out as it is piped to back. I've had two PS4s Notre most recent two days ago. They are loud.

Let's be productive and help people out. HOW IS YOURS SET UP? You have a unauidable one help us out.

Don't have a special set up. Just have plenty of open air for it I guess. Got a glass entertainment center. I'd say there's about 8 inches of space between it and the next object. The PS3 is to the right, nothing but air to the left and the back and another glass shelf to the top. So plenty of air seems to be the formula success for me? Don't know.

Chronos24

So far I've noticed my fans kicking up during infamous:first light, TLOU, and Planetside 2 beta. It's especially loud during the beta for gameplay but in the menus or respawning I notice they slow, which to me goes directly with how much the GPU is rendering at that time. My ps4 is laying horizontal and is clear on all sides. I have to say its quite annoying after awhile. I'll add though that indie games hardly make the fans go and REmake they don't rev up at all.

Top Bottom