• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No trophies for Afro Samurai?

I read there are no trophies for Afro Samurai, how come? I thought all games coming out in 2009 were supposed to support trophies?

"If Afro Samurai was submitted for certification by Sony before January 1, 2009, it would technically not be required to meet this standard. "

I read this somewhere

test_account

XP-39C²
LiquidMetal14 said:
Certified prior to.
Ye, that is what i have heard too :)

Cat in the Hat said:
"If Afro Samurai was submitted for certification by Sony before January 1, 2009, it would technically not be required to meet this standard. "

I read this somewhere
Ye, that seems to be correct i think :)

Kinda sucks to release a big PS3 game (big as in "a big title") without any trophy support to day, especially when you see that those relatively small PSN games have trophy support, at least in my opinion. Maybe it is easier to implant trophy support in smaller games compared to how easy or hard it is to implant trophy support in bigger games though, but unfortunately i dont know :\

EDIT: I added some text.

test_account said:
Ye, that is what i have heard too :)

Ye, that seems to be correct i think :)

Kinda sucks to release a big PS3 game (big as in "a big title") without any trophy support to day, especially when you see that those relatively small PSN games have trophy support, at least in my opinion. Maybe it is easier to implant trophy support in smaller games compared to how easy or hard it is to implant trophy support in bigger games though, but unfortunately i dont know :\

Yeah, I don't understand why Capcom especially has so much trouble adding trophy support, while Echochrome and SSHD were able to add them in after release. I'm still waiting on my Bionic Commando Rearmed trophies that they've been promising since the game launched.

zoku88

RedNumberFive said:
Yeah, I don't understand why Capcom especially has so much trouble adding trophy support, while Echochrome and SSHD were able to add them in after release. I'm still waiting on my Bionic Commando Rearmed trophies that they've been promising since the game launched.
I would think it would be easier to add things to smaller games as opposed to big ones.

That, and it would just be a burden in the end.

zoku88 said:
I would think it would be easier to add things to smaller games as opposed to big ones.

Understood, but trophy support was added quite some time ago, it's not like it's a big surprise. There was plenty of time to add it to something like SSFIIHDRemix. The fact that it's not there is just plain lazy.

Sysgen

One would also think that trophy support could only increase sales and lack of it may descrease sales. How hard can it be to add minimal support such as completed level 1, 2 etc... EDF for the 360 I believe only had 6.

test_account

XP-39C²
RedNumberFive said:
Ye, i agree :) What happend to the Bionic Commando Rearmed by the way? I actually thought about those some days ago. Didnt Capcom promise some months ago that they were coming? (maybe Capcom didnt say when they were coming though).

zoku88 said:

Ye, i also think that it might be more work to add trophy support in larger games compared to how much work there is to add trophy support in smaller games, i agree :) But as RedNumberFive said, trophy support was added quite some time ago. I think it is about 5 months ago or so since the first PS3 game got trophy support. I am no game developer myself though, so i have no idea how much work there is to implant trophy support in PS3 games. Maybe it is a burned in the end as you say.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Or you know, a lot of extra work and money to give people something that is relatively useless and not charging for them.

Yeah, totally in their best interest to add trophies to their older games. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Man God said:
Or you know, a lot of extra work and money to give people something that is relatively useless and not charging for them.

I guess it depends on how much work and time it takes. Adding trophy support to an older game (or to a newer game) can maybe lead to alittle more copies sold of a game. Maybe there are some people who love to collect trophies will buy these games then if they havnt already bought the games, who knows? :)

Several of PS3 games already support trophies though, so i dont know how big of a selling factor trophies for a game is today (if it was a selling factor at all that is :)) compared to how it was when trophies support in PS3 games were something relatively new.

But ye, if it takes too much time and if it costs to much money to add trophy support in older games, then i can understand that not many developers want to do this, i agree :)

Man God said:

This game was released January '09, trophies are supposed to be mandatory for all games releasing in '09....but others already gave a better explanation for the lack of trophies on it though.

even if you're a big fan of the anime you don't want to play this game.

it's like, fun for the first 30 mins, but after you chop up a hundred baddies and bare witness to the shitty platforming (you can only wallrun in predetermined locations...lame!) you'll be ready to turn this shite off.

so them leaving out trophies is kinda of a good thing as it will deter trophy whores away from it and hopefully towards a better game.

Ashour

What would you expect from Namco, they never toke the time to make trophies for any of their previous games, but thankfully Noby Noby Boy has them :D

Man God said:

I hear you on the older games. I would never expect trophy support to be added into say Heavenly Sword or the first Resistance, but to have games released in the last month or so without trophy support is just plain laziness. Rockstar had no problem adding them into GTA, I don't see why someone like Capcom can't add them to their PSN releases. I can't imagine adding a variable that counts wins in Street Fighter, then giving the player a trophy, is that difficult. Same with Megaman 8, Bionic Commando, etc.

Arsenic

Man God said:

I guess you missed what happened when Super Stardust HD was patched for trophies. I was basically a relaunch of the game.

Arsenic said:
I guess you missed what happened when Super Stardust HD was patched for trophies. I was basically a relaunch of the game.

To be fair, at that time, it was pretty much the ONLY game with trophy support.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Arsenic said:

I'm not saying that it can't work, just that most of the time it wouldn't behoove the company to put anything extra into it.

Also, Afro Samurai is a great rental game, but I played it on the 360 and if the supposed added trophies are anything like the achivements in that game then you aren't missing much. They're pretty easy and very uninteresting for the most part.

Arsenic

RedNumberFive said:
Thats true, and everyone wanted to know how the trophies worked, etc. But it can't be denied when ND released trophies for naughty dog, everyone went back to that game as well. Personally i enjoyed it much more with the trophy objectives.

Man God said:
I'm not saying that it can't work, just that most of the time it wouldn't behoove the company to put anything extra into it.

Also, Afro Samurai is a great rental game, but I played it on the 360 and if the supposed added trophies are anything like the achivements in that game then you aren't missing much. They're pretty easy and very uninteresting for the most part.

Thats understood, but also sad :(. I just hate how everything this generation seems to based on only business perspectives =\

WickedLaharl said:
even if you're a big fan of the anime you don't want to play this game.

it's like, fun for the first 30 mins, but after you chop up a hundred baddies and bare witness to the shitty platforming (you can only wallrun in predetermined locations...lame!) you'll be ready to turn this shite off.

so them leaving out trophies is kinda of a good thing as it will deter trophy whores away from it and hopefully towards a better game.

It's a hack and slash with secondary platforming "elements". It is not a platformer, although technically it has "jumping on platforms" here and there.

It's the best hack and slash in years. Then again there were only like 5 of them, but if you LIKE that kind of game i haven't seen better than this more than a few times in the last few years.

I think the "platforming" parts were there to add a touch of variety but it's mostly the New Prince of Persia autopilot variety.

Slashers are what you make of them. If you get bored killing lots of people, I don't know how this game could get better at it. It has so many combos and techniques that you can mix and match that it's crazy.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sysgen said:
How hard can it be to add minimal support such as completed level 1, 2 etc...

From a coding standpoint you need to take care of not only the triggers for acquiring trophies, but also the communication of those back to the server, and any online work in a game can be quite time consuming. I'm not up to speed with TRCs in this area, but I assume there are quite a few, so compliance and testing would also be an issue.

Its probably not a lot of work in the grand scheme of things, but it seems in this case that it was enough work and enough of an added risk area for bouncing Sony compliance for them to decide against it.

Choke on the Magic said:
In before lazy
developer
s

Too late.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The thing with trophies is that they are wasy to implement but it takes a good bit of QA time to test them

M3wThr33

Banned
There's a few steps for trophies, but it's inconsequential in the end for programming. However, design has to deal with reassigning point values (As it's 3 fixed tiers and not increments of 5), dealing with different standards related to rules that MS has, and art has to make all new assets for each, along with text to accompany each language of the game.

And that doesn't include if the game has in-game display of trophies or online-related ones. (However, online trophies are easier to handle as you don't have to care who earned it as it's a singular online account... for now)

DangerStepp said:
As inconsistent as trophies are, how could anyone sincerely care at this point?
Inconsistent? By what means?

Dibbz

Fersis said:
The thing with trophies is that they are wasy to implement but it takes a good bit of QA time to test them
Wouldn't Achievments have to be tested also though?

Haunted

So Afro Samurai might be the last notable one without trophies?

Can't think of any other notable February release that doesn't have any.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dibbz said:
Wouldn't Achievments have to be tested also though?
Yeah, so ?
When Afro Samurai was in development trophies werent mandatory...

RedNumberFive said:

That's true, but I think games with trophies would still sell more, I didn't buy Heavenly Sword and HSG5 because of lack of trophies (and the latter because of the lack of CS also), shit, I even got MGS4 as a gift and I'm playing some other backlog first in the hopes of a trophy patch....

Fersis

Dibbz said:
You made it sound like QA was the deal breaker :|
Oh no, but trophy testing can take more than a week.(Which can affect the development schedule if you didnt planned at first.)

Top Bottom