• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA conducted a poll asking where people play Switch the most. 83% said at home

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/897856262221602820

Where’s your favorite place to play with your #NintendoSwitch?

7% Airplane
5% Bus/Train
83% Home
5% Beach/Park

46,655 votes - Final results

Thought this was a pretty interesting result. This to me actually justifies Nintendo "home console first" marketing of the Switch. Handhelds do seem less popular in the west (note there was nothing stopping folks outside of NA from voting) than say Japan, but it's still surprising to see such a landslide result in favor of home gaming.

What about you guys? Where do you play Switch the most? What are your thoughts on the poll and the results? Me, I also play strictly docked myself. :p

Toki767

I imagine if they did the same survey for the 3DS, the results would probably be about the same too.

Outside Japan at least.

Clefargle

It's a console, a portable console. One that seems to be doing fairly well in that role. Glad Nintendo seems to know what they're doing with the marketing of this system.

jonno394

I play at home in portable mode. I suspect there are a large amount of the 83% who do the same. It's a handheld to me, just i don't take them outdoors.

Okay but now run the same poll asking where people play 3DS the most. Dollars to donuts "At home" would still be the most popular answer.

georly

It's not about playing it at home, but rather WHERE in the home I play it. I can play it on my deck, on the toilet, or in bed. That's huge.

I don't take my ipad out of the house often either, but it'd be a worse device if it were tethered to the TV.

gogojira

Well, that result seems obvious. Even in handheld, people are going to play way more on a couch than on a plane, lol.

The End

Thought this was a pretty interesting result. This to me actually justifies Nintendo "home console first" marketing of the Switch. Handhelds do seem less popular in the west (note there was nothing stopping folks outside of NA from voting) than say Japan, but it's still surprising to see such a landslide result in favor of home gaming.

What about you guys? Where do you play Switch the most? What are your thoughts on the poll and the results? Me, I also play strictly docked myself. :p

It's all about car culture over here. There are a half-dozen cities at best (NY, Chicago, SF, Seattle, LA, DC) where you can reasonably commute to work without a car.

Mine has never left it's dock, but I imagine most or at least a lot of people play it at home in handheld mode. They should have asked that question handheld vs docked.

Shahed

100% Home for me. Every other handheld was like 95% home.

It's why I prefer consoles and the reason I fell off handhelds. If I'm going to play it at home anyway, I may as well get a better experience while doing so

Fou-Lu

It's all about car culture over here. There are a half-dozen cities at best (NY, Chicago, SF, Seattle, LA, DC) where you can reasonably commute to work without a car.

Canada is the same and I hate it. NA needs more train culture.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I play at home in portable mode. I suspect there are a large amount of the 83% who do the same. It's a handheld to me, just i don't take them outdoors.

Yup.

phanphare

Banned
I play my Switch most in my house and I'm about 50/50 docked vs. handheld mode within my home

I was 75/25 in favor of handheld mode but then Splatoon 2 released

If I could take a bus/train to work, I would definitely spend the vast majority of my Switch playtime on the bus or train.

As it is, I've probably split my time about 50/50 between handheld mode and TV mode. What I've found really fantastic is that I'll favor different configurations for different games. I played Cave Story and Puyo Puyo Tetris almost 100% in handheld mode; I played Breath of the Wild mostly in TV mode.

Alric

Had my Switch since release and have yet to even setup the Dock. It'll always be 100% handheld for me, usually at work or a nice bench in the shade.

Ban Puncher

98J0E.jpg

Matesamo

It doesn't even ask where you play the Switch the most but rather where your favorite place to place the Switch is. Who took that poll and thought to themselves "Playing on my big screen TV while sitting on my recliner is fine and everything but my favorite place to play is on an airplane. I wish I could take more flights and enjoy my Switch time more often."

nynt9

I've docked my switch like three times ever and it has been unplayable due to joycon connectivity anyway. To me the entire value of the system is as a handheld.

MaulerX

I play at home alot too but in portable mode. Hardly ever attached to the TV. Maybe they should do another poll to differentiate that?

daxy

I mainly play it at home... lying down on the couch in portable mode. I've always been more of a handheld person.

Kouriozan

No surprises, I also play my 3DS exclusively at home too.
NoA marketing is even about that home console you can take on the go.

I've yet to take it out the house. Still it's 100% table top mode tho, with an articulating tablet holder so I can chill and play in bed.

zelas

Most traditional game experiences offered + the average gaming session length + the prevalence of online multiplayer = consoles at home, smartphones outside. The market has been making this clear for the last 8+ years.

No, it's not really surprising at all, and I don't see how it justifies Nintendo's home console first marketing, either. Nevermind that it doesn't really feel like Nintendo is marketing Switch as a home console first to begin with, outside of that small handful of times they referred to the system as such early on. People have always used handhelds more at home than anywhere else. The numbers probably lean just a bit more toward home use than usual, because you can dock Switch to play on a TV.

Top Bottom