• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu is working on two yet unannounced projects

Prevailer

Yesterday I met Nobuo Uematsu in Cologne, Germany (before Symphonic Odysseys today). It was a very interesting, funny and last but not least fruitful interview. Uematsu is a loveley person.

Nobuo Uematsu spoke about his current work: two yet unannouced projects, his work on Fantasy Life and his band Earthbound Papas. “Right now, I am working on Level-5′s Fantasy Life and I hope to be able to finish my work within a month“, Uematsu told us. “Also, there is one new game, that hasn’t been announced yet and there is another secret game. Besides, I am trying to have as many rehearsals as I can with my band, the Earthbound Papas.“

I wonder which kind of projects that will be...

http://jpgames.de/2011/07/uematsu-arbeitet-an-zwei-unangekundigten-projekten/

kadotsu

Banned
Great! And thank you for reminding me that Symhonic Odysseys os today! Can't wait for a "A Fleeting Dream".

Aru

Gravijah said:
no way, yoko shimomrua is gonna do XV after V.XIII!

pwease. :(

Yoko Shimomura is just everywhere these days. Let her rest a little.
I'd actually want to hear what Mitsuto Suzuki could make for a main FF game.

'project announcement 1' which will in turn announce lost odyssey 2 & 3 and 'project announcement 2' which will then unveil lost odyssey 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & oh my godddreghdghfsdhtsd.

Eh, I haven't been too pleased with Uematsu's output lately, so I hope it isn't for a mainline FF title. >_>

Gravijah said:

I would die of happiness. Shimomura craps all over Uematsu. Even with her being so prolific lately, it seems each soundtrack she scores is better than the last.

kenji

who owns the Lost Odyssey IP?
Microsoft will never give a single dollar to Mistwalker to make a game again

weeaboo

But Lost Odyssey is a Microsoft property and they're the Kinect company now. Why would anyone want another one?

GhaleonQ

Nice work. I hope that 1 is a weird project in addition to the usual Mistwalker/Square-Enix.

Electivirus said:
Eh, I haven't been too pleased with Uematsu's output lately, so I hope it isn't for a mainline FF title. >_>

I would die of happiness. Shimomura craps all over Uematsu. Even with her being so prolific lately, it seems each soundtrack she scores is better than the last.

1. Really? Which of his last 3 years' don't you like?

2. I actually think it's the opposite. Shimomura got really overcommitted, as all great video game composers do, but Radiant Historia (her main work from last year) restored my faith in my all-time favorite.

Prine said:
If its a handheld game then im not interested.

2005 Egg Monster Hero
2008 Lord Of Vermilion
2008 Blue Dragon Plus
2008 Away Shuffle Dungeon
2009 Sakura Note

COME ON.

Aru

Electivirus said:
If anybody needs rest, it's Sakuraba.

Was going to post this. But I fear that Shimomura becomes like Sakuraba if she does too many projets in a short while.

GhaleonQ said:
1. Really? Which of his last 3 years' don't you like?

Both Final Fantasy XIV and The Last Story left me with a rather sour taste in my mouth. XIV for the large amount of generic rock tracks and the synth (XIII spoiled me with its natural-sounding synthwork) and The Last Story for sounding far too much like a standard Hollywood film score for my tastes.

Aru said:
Was going to post this. But I fear that Shimomura becomes like Sakuraba if she does too many projets in a short while.

I've had my worries as well, but in the past year alone she's gotten Xenoblade, Radiant Historia, The 3rd Birthday, Birth by Sleep, and The Last Ranker under her belt. All of which were fanfuckingtastic. I'm sure she'll be fine.

oh my god versus xiii with a music budget rivaling ff xiii oh my gooooood

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bring over what you're making to the 3 HD platforms (PC,PS3,360)!

Love hearing from this guy. His music has been very consistent throughout the years.

weeaboo said:
Fear not my friend, we're going to have a lot of glorious Hamauzu strings in XIII-2

Limited edition soundtrack is a day 1 purchase for me. Hamauzu soundtrack releases are like holidays to me.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
weeaboo said:
Fear not my friend, we're going to have a lot of glorious Hamauzu strings in XIII-2

Oh yeah, the new tracks are already better than everything he did before. Love him ; ;

Electivirus said:
Limited edition soundtrack is a day 1 purchase for me. Hamauzu soundtrack releases are like holidays to me.

Day One for me too.

And now, to attract some hate (lol) I'd like to say that Nobuo Uematsu stepping back from FF (imho) has been a good thing to the saga. Square Enix had alot of talents shadowed by Nobuo's presence in the past, composers that now finally after years of working for small titles are given credit for bigger projects (Hamauzu, Sakimoto, Shimomura, Mizuta). They're not young authors at all, but listening to them feels refreshing compared to Uematsu, that really worked on too many titles already and we all know everything of his - great - talents and type of "sound". I loved and love him, but I'm ok without him for a change.

Perfo said:
And now, to attract some hate (lol) I'd like to say that Nobuo Uematsu stepping back from FF (imho) has been a good thing to the saga. Square Enix had alot of talents shadowed by Nobuo's presence in the past, composers that now finally after years of working for small titles are given credit for bigger projects (Hamauzu, Sakimoto, Shimomura, Mizuta). They're not young authors at all, but listening to them feels refreshing compared to Uematsu, that really worked on too many titles already. He's great and all of course, but I'm ok without him for a change.

I agree. His work on the series has undoubtedly been amazing, but some new blood (Hamauzu's work on XIII and its massive variety of included genres, most definitely) has really done the series' music some good.
Now let Hamauzu compose the next nine FF games kthxbai

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Probably FFXV.

Perfo said:
Plz no, I want to hear more of Hamauzu :___

I hate to go off topic but I just noticed your avatar is animated... And I know animated avatars don't work anymore.

Mr_Brit

Banned
smh at people who don't want Uematsu back for the mainline FF games. Seriously, what is wrong with you people.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GhaleonQ said:
2005 Egg Monster Hero
2008 Lord Of Vermilion
2008 Blue Dragon Plus
2008 Away Shuffle Dungeon
2009 Sakura Note

COME ON.
Sakura Note's soundtrack really wowed me over, as did Lord of Vermillion's. I remember playing Sakura Note a few years ago, and towards the end of the chapter, this kicked in. Biggest nostalgic grin on my face.

I wonder what he's up to next, then. Colour me intrigued.

Gravijah said:

As far as I'm concerned, XV = VS XIII.

I agree with GhaleonQ. Shimomura's the one who needs rest. Look at this: http://vgmdb.net/artist/139. She's been all over the map in the past few years. I think it's time for a different sound, despite her:
a) improving quite a bit in recent years with Last Ranker, Radiant Historia and the Xenoblade tracks she composed. Nice tone.
b) composing only a few tracks on soundtracks (ex: Xenoblade, The 3rd Birthday, Luminous Arc, etc).

Same goes for Sakuraba, but he's the Tales composer, so there's nothing I can do about that, lol. At least Xillia's battle theme and character themes sound a bit different this time. But we'll see about that. I thought Tanaka's stuff overshadowed Sakuraba's stuff big time in Resonance of Fate.

And I'm quite glad that Mitsuto Suzuki's getting his crack at a huge soundtrack too. Loved his work on The 3rd Birthday's album. I need more Hamauzu in my life, though. Playing Sigma Harmonics made me leave my DS on in the background to listen to the music until I finally imported the soundtrack. :lol <3 Hamauzu. Actually, I love him more because he composed some nice acoustic guitar stuff for FFXIII, and experimented with different genres to make the soundtrack truly diverse. I genuinely loved his approach to the game's music a lot.

Perfo

ULTROS! said:
Probably FFXV.

I hate to go off topic but I just noticed your avatar is animated... And I know animated avatars don't work anymore.

I was just asking that to a mod :D

I'll change it in a moment thx

Show some respect to the man. His works for the first 10 mainline FFs are pure genious. IMO one of the main reasons that the modern FFs have failed to capture the magic of the past titles is the lack of great music. You think of FF6-7-8-9-10 and their music themes immediately come to mind. You think of FF13 and nothing really stands out.
I hope S-E hire him for FFXV.

Perfo

Steiner_Zi said:
Show some respect to the man. His works for the first 10 mainline FFs are pure genious. IMO one of the main reasons that the modern FFs have failed to capture the magic of the past titles is the lack of great music. You think of FF6-7-8-9-10 and their music themes immediately come to mind. You think of FF13 and nothing really stands out.

I think FFX's ost is the best in the saga (thx to Hamauzu's output), and XIII follows. Opinions ;)

Aeana

Steiner_Zi said:
When I think of FF10, most of the music I think of isn't by Uematsu.

As for FF13, I beg to differ.

Top Bottom