• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu is working on two yet unannounced projects

Perfo said:
I think FFX's ost is the best in the saga (thx to Hamauzu's output), and XIII follows. Opinions ;)

Yeah, Uematsu's contributions to X's soundtrack were decent but paled in comparison to Hamauzu's or even Nakano's.

Steiner_Zi said:
Show some respect to the man. His works for the first 10 mainline FFs are pure genious. IMO one of the main reasons that the modern FFs have failed to capture the magic of the past titles is the lack of great music. You think of FF6-7-8-9-10 and their music themes immediately come to mind. You think of FF13 and nothing really stands out.
I hope S-E hire him for FFXV.

Also, memorable =/= better. ;D

Dreamer RD

Steiner_Zi said:
Show some respect to the man. His works for the first 10 mainline FFs are pure genious. IMO one of the main reasons that the modern FFs have failed to capture the magic of the past titles is the lack of great music. You think of FF6-7-8-9-10 and their music themes immediately come to mind. You think of FF13 and nothing really stands out.
I hope S-E hire him for FFXV.

Good point. Liberi Fatali and One Winged Angel are pure masterpieces. Hamauzu is good composer but nowhere as near as Uematsu level. I always thought of Junya Nakano and Masashi Hamauzu as his apprentices. These 2 dudes created very good shit for FF10. Also, Musashi: Samurai Legend has epic OST thanks to the same guys.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Lost Odyssey 2 or Blue Dragon 2 would be nice, but who would make them at this point?

Swordy

A Lost Odyssey 2 would be amazing, but I really can't see it happen too, Microsoft doesn't seem to care about J-RPGs anymore...Well, they don't seem to care for nearly anything besides Kinect related stuff.

I would love to go hear his band the Earthbound Papas at Onicon in Galveston this year. Can't wait to find out what he is working on!

EDIT:

Awesome, he's working on Fantasy Life? I seriously hope that comes out in NA or I will have to import it.

Varion

Aru said:
Yoko Shimomura is just everywhere these days. Let her rest a little.
To be fair she's been all over the place, yes, but doing partial OSTs. I feel like almost every time I get hyped for a Shimomura OST lately she's only done a few tracks on it (see Xenoblade, 3rd Birthday). Nowhere near Sakuraba level like some people seem to be suggesting.

That said, I'd be all in favour of her doing more FFs too, simply because she seems to be the best person for the job. It's not like new major FF games come out all that often anyway. Uematsu hasn't done a full OST that I've really liked since FF9 - I keep trying the Mistwalker OSTs and nothing sticks, and replaying 8 and 9 lately has just confirmed the giant gap. Maybe playing the games would actually help, but none of the games are particularly appealing either.

I'd rather have him for FF15 than Hamauzu though, considering I can count the number of tracks I still remember from FF13 on one hand (the main boss theme, the Pulse overworld theme, though I did have to listen to that to upwards of 40 hours grinding, Sunleth because the lyrics were so cringeworthy, etc). I actually quite liked 13 the game when I played it, but the soundtrack was utterly forgettable.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man I love Nobuo so much

Rad- said:
Lost Odyssey 2 and Lost Odyssey 3.
Da only answers. Let this guy's genius shine through

And maybe a soundtrack with FFVIII sounds again, PLEASE

Venfayth

I highly prefer Uematsu's music to Hamauzu's.

Hamauzu's music is less melodic compared to Uematsu's stuff.. it's .. more or less all over the place, lots of interesting tone clusters, but it's not really the style of music I prefer.

Kalnos

Banned
Alex said:
Fucking barf. XIII's soundtrack was as lame as the game itself.

The only part that really bothers me are the lyrics in the one chocobo theme, otherwise I think it's fine.

Alex said:

XIII has the best battle music in the series.

Alongside some really awesome tracks.

After hearing Uematsu work in LO and then going to XIII, he is not missed. His last works in FF lacks force.

Kalnos

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
After hearing Uematsu work in LO and then going to XIII, he is not missed. His last works in FF lacks force.

They're two completely different games with two completely different settings and feels. Lost Odyssey has some great tracks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Relaxed Muscle said:
XIII has the best battle music in the series.

Alongside some really awesome tracks.

I really liked his stuff in FFXIV. The OST is the best part about the entire game :D

Angry Fork

FF7 remake for PS4 is one of them. Believe.
Alex said:
It didn't sound/feel like a Final Fantasy soundtrack but the music was still amazing. I'd like a bit more FF feel in the next game but if it's like 13 I won't be disappointed either.

Kalnos said:
They're two completely different games with two completely different settings and feels. Lost Odyssey has some great tracks.

That's the only memorable song in the entire game for me, and maybe the battle theme...maybe.

But LO in the rankings of JRPG OST is really in the low side for me.

Kagari said:
I really liked his stuff in FFXIV. The OST is the best part about the entire game :D

Certainly I can't speak for XIV, I didn't played it (you can't blame me though) :) .

Beth Cyra

Wouldn't mind him doing a LO2, that said I don't need him back for FF XV.

FF XIV was good but I don't need him for every game and I enjoyed XIII's OST more then I did XIV's so I'm more then happy to give him a break between games.

Top Bottom