• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noclip: The sound & music of WipeOut

Brigandier

The nostalgia I feel when I see Psygnosis and Wipeout takes me to the mid 90s...

lost matthew fox GIF

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Does this mean I’ve missed the one about Psygnosis or is everything in the clip part of the documentary?

Hypereides

Gold Member
"And you had people who went clubbing and maybe investigated various chemical opportunities"...

I'm not endorsing substance use in any capacity, but I want to see experimental, daring and adventurous developers get more tailwind in the industry as opposed to the ones who lack any kind of appetite for imagination and risk.

That said, the Wipeout series' soundtrack is pure fire. Absolutely dope from start to finish. It manages to stay fresh even today. Looking forward to the doc.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
OST did a lot for the appeal of pysgnosis games, Destruction derby also had bangers.

I remember laying on my back on the carpet of my parents living room (i though that the ingame pilots were lying down their racer because of their elongated forms...), playing that game on ps1, seldom managing to finish races (couldn't get the hang of those goddam airbrakes) but always coming back to it.
A feast for the eyes and ears for sure.

I remember also playing the destruction derby 2 demo, the one where you have one race which at one point narrows so much that you can put your car sideways and block the whole passage. You then have to wait for the cpu controlled cars to come crashing into you and enjoy the carnage. Good times.

Hypereides

Gold Member

Awesome doc. Good times.

Would be great if Sony had the courage to renew and reintroduce that almost ethereal, psychedelic and spiritual flavour they once had. It gave them an unworldly and mesmerizing feel in their games and association, plus made them stand out and placed them on the map.

Designers republic's 90's graphic design still holds up to this day.

just gonna leave this one here best tribute i have seen to wipeout music.

includes a cold storage/tim wright interview too in caption.

EDIT: Very nice Doco enjoyed watching that.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I’ve been playing the Omega Collection for the last weeks because I needed a Wipeout fix. Am I very stupid to think it’s one of the best looking PS5 games still?

I put on Autechre and Aphex Twin playing via the PS5 Apple Music app and it’s like the coolest shit ever. Addicted to Wipeout all over again.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
PSVR2 upgrade FFS!!!

Anyways this came out when we where all balls deep in clubbing/techno culture so was a natural fit for sticking on when we got back from a club, it was hilarious we'd be in a party with all the guys gathered around the telly taking it in turns, music blaring and all wiped out and this game just accelerated the drugs lol the girls used to be all.. ahhh FFS not that game again, good times

Dr. Suchong

I’ve been playing the Omega Collection for the last weeks because I needed a Wipeout fix. Am I very stupid to think it’s one of the best looking PS5 games still?

I put on Autechre and Aphex Twin playing via the PS5 Apple Music app and it’s like the coolest shit ever. Addicted to Wipeout all over again.
Autechre are the shit 👍

AGRacing

Hey Jason Schreier … see how good games were made in the past?! You CANNOT make art with a little boardroom of ESG nerds with their bullshit dystopian checklists combing through your game in the design phase you fucking DORK.

btw this is a really good alternative to Wipeout these days i have over 400 tracks (including tracks from all the wipeout in the game.

And it looks pretty now with all the light and reflections so its kind of got a more modernized retro look going on suits it great.

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member

Tasteful art direction and graphic design can outlive and transcend its zeitgeist and era imo. Wipeout's visual presentation isn't cluttered. Its clean, clear and cohesive. Something which can't really be said about many modern big budget games.

Last edited:
I never understood especially after the Omega collection that nobody wants to pick up Wipeout franchise for the current consoles. Even as a PSVR2 only title it would be another system seller.

Radical_3d

Tasteful art direction and graphic design can outlive and transcend its zeitgeist and era imo. Wipeout's visual presentation isn't cluttered. Its clean, clear and cohesive. Something which can't really be said about many modern big budget games.
Completely the opposite of generic photogrammetry UE5 aesthetic.

Top Bottom