• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North says Naughty Dog is making a sequel to 8+ mil selling game The Last of Us

epmode

Jun 7, 2004
I feel like that was common knowledge. Unsure if it was ever officially mentioned though.

PROh1bited

Banned
Feb 6, 2014
Canada
I'd be surprised if they weren't working on a sequel.

In all honesty, I'm looking forward to the multiplayer more then the story.

Jigorath

Banned
Aug 22, 2013
twitter.com
Ever since Sony started bundling TLOUR with every PS4 it's pretty obvious that a sequel is in development. Probably won't see it until like 2018 or so.

hawk2025

Jan 20, 2013
He wouldn't be in the game, so it seems like he might just be guessing?

Although "I know (...)" is pretty damning :p

Daingurse

Nov 21, 2012
AZ
I mean, didn't we know this was going to happen? I've been under the impression that it's going to happen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oct 29, 2006
I remember he dropped Uncharted 4 too. It was something like, "wait until you see what they're doing with Unch...uh their next game."

komplanen

Jun 23, 2013
As long as Joel and Ellie are not in it, I'd fucking love a new TLoU. The atmosphere has me hooked still.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Apr 28, 2014
Could be a sequel involving different characters, however I have a feeling we are gonig to play a more teen/adult ellie

hawk2025

Jan 20, 2013
Everyone fears a direct sequel, but at the same time they are surely keenly aware of what it would mean to follow up the first game directly.

It could be immensely powerful if done right.

Mar 24, 2015
I'd be supportive of a sequel or even a franchise as long as it doesn't include Joel or Ellie. The world they built and the atmosphere was great, but I'd like to see a series where each game is a different story with different characters.

robotrock

Banned
Feb 28, 2010
Everyone fears a direct sequel, but at the same time they are surely keenly aware of what it would mean to follow up the first game directly.

It could be immensely powerful if done right.
Yup. I'm sure they'll make the best game they can.

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
Didn't he also kind of hint that
Joel dies at the beginning of the sequel? He said something about his "characters untimely demise"

CHC

Aug 24, 2012
I'd really they don't, TLOU had a great, final ending, but if it's good, it's good. It just might be nice to see them do another original game in a different setting rather than iterate on TLOU when it's good as it is.

Hoje0308

Banned
Jun 22, 2013
Figured as much, but damn that's good news. TLoU with the presentation of U4 and a more open level design is all I need. New characters would be great too, with Ellie and Joel coming back to finish off the trilogy.

robotrock

Banned
Feb 28, 2010
Didn't he also kind of hint that
Joel dies at the beginning of the sequel? He said something about his "characters untimely demise"
If he's referring to his character, is he not referring to (TLoU spoilers)
David in The Last of Us

Ferrio

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
These were my predictions for a sequel if it ever happened:

A few years have passed, the world has gotton worse with no sign of a cure. Ellie finds out/realizes what Joel really did. She then takes her own trip to offer herself to save humanity. Joel tries to track her down, and you play both characters throughout the story. Ends with Ellie sacrificing herself and joel committing suicide cause he couldn't stop her

Kralamoonard

Mar 23, 2015
UK
I'm puzzled by the reaction that people don't want a sequel or accuse ND of milking the game.

I'm pretty sure they have the right to do that, just like 99% of other AAA developers, and if its to the quality of the first game, then even better for them. The first one was a crazy success, and the effort they put into that new IP surely means they can work on a sequel like any sane company would do? It's not as if there have been 5 TLOU's in like 3 years lol, nor will it mean they won't venture on any new other IP ground ever again.

On another note, my bet is TLOU 2 will release in 2018, then there will be one final new IP to finish off the PS4 generation, kinda like last gen. What do you guys think?

BluenoseGames

Mar 20, 2015
To be honest I don't want a Last of Us sequel. It was perfect on its own, I want to imagine how things ended up. The ending was perfect.

Only thing I want from another Last of Us Game :

• Set in the years with Joel and Tess - Play as Tess
  • New Characters. New Location. New Story.

PROh1bited

Banned
Feb 6, 2014
Canada

A few years have passed, the world has gotton worse with no sign of a cure. Ellie finds out/realizes what Joel really did. She then takes her own trip to offer herself to save humanity. Joel tries to track her down, and you play both characters throughout the story. Ends with Ellie sacrificing herself and joel committing suicide cause he couldn't stop her
Why would he commit suicide? Wouldn't he have just done that when his actual daughter died.

hawk2025

Jan 20, 2013

Ellie knew Joel was lying to her in the last scene of the game.