• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Normal Again - Worst Buffy Episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated this episode because it made me question the entire buffyverse. I know it seems all clever and mind bendy n shit, but damn, it just cheapens her accomplishments as a character.

DUMBASS SEASON 6 I HATE YOU!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That's an awesome episode.

Doublemeat Palace and Him are probably the worst episodes, off the top of my head.

Normal Again was awesome dude. It doesn't really cheapen anything when you realise it's not actually real. Through a season of so many mistakes, that was one of the bright spots I thought.

Beer Bad people! BEER BAD!

Mama Smurf

Vampires don't need to breathe, but it's not like they lost the muscles we all use to suck in air and blow it out.

calder

+1 awesome. It beats the hell out of most every eps that season.

EDIT: it's never really explained, but my take is that of course vamps *can* breathe (they talk after all) but they just don't need to. That explains why they sigh, make "heh" sounds when they're annoyed and so on - they're just breathing to make human sounds out of habit. Why does Angel claim he can't give Buffy mouth-to-mouth in Season 1? Blame sloppy writing, or if you're charitable assume he meant that he didn't know how but fibbed.

Mama Smurf said:
Vampires don't need to breathe, but it's not like they lost the muscles we all use to suck in air and blow it out.

So why couldn't Angel give Buffy CPR after the Master knocked her silly and threw her in a puddle and Xander had to save the day?

calder said:
+1 awesome. It beats the hell out of most every eps that season.

Alot of other seasons too. I was with MAF on this when it first aired because I really thought they were going to try to make it like the Buffyverse never existed, but once that was cleared up the ep worked alot better. Just how the laid out everything so well to explain how it never existed was pretty amazing.

border

I think The Pack (hyena episode from Season 1) is probably my most hated Buffy episode, just because the premise is so fucking stupid. The other season 1 episode with the INTARNET DEMON was awful as well. Come to think of it, almost all of the first season is really really stupid. "Monster of the week" is not a bad formula, but jesus the monsters were always so lame....

Normal Again was pretty great. I rather like the idea that everything is just Buffy's delusion. Certainly helps explain the pretty flagrant logical inconsistencies in the show's conventions.

Mama Smurf

Teh Hamburglar said:
So why couldn't Angel give Buffy CPR after the Master knocked her silly and threw her in a puddle and Xander had to save the day?

He just didn't want to look silly and admit he didn't know CPR </damage control>

it doesnt suggest awful season 6 didnt exist (well, season 6 is still good tv compared to a lot) but that all of it never really happens. I mean yeah, it all makes you think, but by season 6 the whole 'road travelled' feeling gets dashed by the suggestion that no road was ever travelled.

With buffy spending season 6 not knowing where she belongs, its annoying to see that its possible the entire universe doesnt belong ;P

As for the breathing thing, I always found it weird. Angel couldnt give buffy mouth to mouth in season one tho im sure he wanted to, but when bursting out of his grave when he first became a vampire he and darla seemed to have enough breath for anyone. Why is this.

Mama Smurf

border said:
I think The Pack (hyena episode from Season 1) is probably my most hated Buffy episode, just because the premise is so fucking stupid. The other season 1 episode with the INTARNET DEMON was awful as well. Come to think of it, almost all of the first season is really really stupid. "Monster of the week" is not a bad formula, but jesus the monsters were always so lame.....

Well I ignore the first season for the most part, but are you kidding me? I LOVE The Pack! It's pretty much the only episode from the first season I think has the quality to stand up in a comparison with later seasons.

I had no idea people didn't like it, it was so great.

First season had some good eps, but some real 'dont wanna watch again' episodes, like as mentioned the cyberdemon the pack, and that dumb one with the play, which was only funny at the end when the curtain rose.

Buffy Season 1 is good just for the humor since everything was so light hearted then. Nothing was really too serious that season up until the end.

border

I really have no idea how the majority of the Buffy fanbase feels about The Pack, but I just know that I rather hated it. I wish I could give some kind of thoughtful criticism, but I can't go much further than saying that the idea of it just didn't work for me. Hyena possession, teenagers eating people, yelping like animals....ugggh, it just seems so stupid.

calder

I normally give season 1 a free pass because it was so low budget and the cast and crew were just starting to find their way, and as a mid-season replacement they had no real reason to think they were going to make it past a few eps.

But still, the computer demon one was bad bad bad. My wife has a soft spot for it but I've never even managed to sit through it all at once.

My other least liked Buffy eps:
Beer Bad
The Pack <-- largely due to bad acting from some of the bit characters, a cheesy premise and just plain off dialogue
Wrecked - magic abuse is a metaphor for something... but for what?! too subtle, me no get!!
Gone - SMG almost literally mailed this one in. continued annoying shit from previous eps, but managed to make SMG sound *exactly* like she's doing the VO work months later.

Season 7 after 'Never Leave Me'. All the cool shit from the early S7 eps turn to shit and the whole thing pretty much shudders to a meh ending IMO. It was on in syndication yesterday and I couldn't get over how much the show started to suck after the Potentials showed up.

The best ep of Season 1 is Nightmares. It's kinda cheesy but it rocks just for Xanders stuff. I'm scared of clowns too so I have a soft spot for his situation. :p

Season 1 sucked for the scene in the last ep where they're marching toward the master and she's like Oh a bad guy and that music is playing and im like GOD THIS IS SO CAMP then I put in season 2 cause I know what happens.

I didnt like the episode of season 2 where she goes all super slayer except the part where she DOES go super slayer cause glowey eyed latin/sumerian speaking chicks rock.

Mama Smurf

So much hate for The Pack :( And I love it so much! Oh well, don't suppose it matters.

S1 is so innocent, I like watching it just for that. Though they got Angel completely wrong, at least the other characters kept their personalities through S1 into the rest. Angel afraid to go down into the hellmouth? Pfff, please. And even if that doesn't annoy you, he just looks like a wanker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom