• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea attempts but fails to launch missile: South Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this test is comparable to a cruise missile, at all.

The reason an ICBM is large is because majority of it is to hold the fuel needed to fly around. Obviously the bigger the equipment the more care needed in maintenance and the higher probability of something going wrong. But there has to be a failure rate somewhere, there's been 100's of thousands of tomahawks launched in all the wars US has fought yet I've never heard of one exploding upon launch.

The problem with NASA is parts of a rocket are manufactured all over the country, and then once built, the parts are shipped by train to Cape Canaveral where they are put together, inspected, then launched. This is why there is a high rate of accidents, due to the whole thing not being manufactured in one place.

Joe

aIKr2tR.png

Invictus

Banned
Maybe this is a stupid question but....
If it blew up right after launch, how do they know where it was heading??
I mean it needs to travel for a bit to get a trajectory no?

Xando

Maybe this is a stupid question but....
If it blew up right after launch, how do they know where it was heading??
I mean it needs to travel for a bit to get a trajectory no?
This hasn't actually been confirmed and i'd be suprised if it's more than the fact that missiles are always tested over water and the launch site is literally a navy base on the east coast of NK.

SuperSah

Banned
There's no way NK will not try to launch again.

The whole world is looking right at them. Those narcissistic fucks aren't going to let the opportunity get away.

In a perfect world the North Korean people would get Kim Jong-un and the American people would get Donald Trump and lock them in a cage arena and get them to fight until the last manbaby is standing, then the cage is electrified and North Koreans and Americans all decide to go out drinking, leaving the cage and its contents behind.

sazzy

Mattis: The President is aware of the situation. We have no further comment.

They're going to use this as a reason for a preemptive strike, aren't they?

Gallbaro

Banned
Life can only get worst for the regime. As long as they can pay the army they will thrive.

The problem is the moment they can no longer pay the army is the moment they now have bigger and better told to extort the West with.

If they succeeded then the dumb fuckers deserved the rain of hell the US, S.Korea, Japan and China would have began with a counter strike. A 'warning shot' with the old ass tech the N. Koreans have is fucking dangerous as it could have just as well hit way, way too close to the carrier group in the ocean.

If the missle was indeed aimed at them. Personally I don't think it was, sadly the regime is as unreasonable, temperamental and downright nasty as Agent Orange is.

Dirca

Seriously, what type of "engineers" or "scientists" are working on NK's missile program? It really does seem like it's Wile E Coyote or the 3 Stooges

JMizzlin

What happens to the crew responsible when these launches fail? I can't imagine it's as simple as 'oh well, maybe next time!'.

ZOONAMI

Well, the entire missile launch crew is probably thrown into an acid vat by now.

Seriously, what type of "engineers" or "scientists" are working on NK's missile program? It really does seem like it's Wile E Coyote or the 3 Stooges

What happens to the crew responsible when these launches fail? I can't imagine it's as simple as 'oh well, maybe next time!'.

Probably not, there's not an unlimited supply of rocket engineers.

There's no way NK will not try to launch again.

The whole world is looking right at them. Those narcissistic fucks aren't going to let the opportunity get away.

The whole world is looking at them for no reason. They do this shit EVERY SINGLE YEAR. The exact same stuff. For whatever reason, the media has picked up on it this time and decided to go all in on it (which is suspicious enough in its own right). I honestly think someone has an agenda somewhere and whether or not North Korea is actually involved or simply a distraction is the real question.

Or maybe I'm a paranoid idiot, who knows?

epmode

The whole world is looking at them for no reason. They do this shit EVERY SINGLE YEAR. The exact same stuff. For whatever reason, the media has picked up on it this time and decided to go all in on it (which is suspicious enough in its own right). I honestly think someone has an agenda somewhere and whether or not North Korea is actually involved or simply a distraction is the real question.

It's pretty easy; Trump is a wildcard and he may start shit that other presidents wouldn't.

Also, NK is getting close to finishing ICBM tech, and that would significantly change the situation..

ZOONAMI

It's pretty easy; Trump is a wildcard and he may start shit that other presidents wouldn't.

Also, NK is getting close to finishing ICBM tech, and that would significantly change the situation..

I fail to see how ICBMs significantly alter the equation.

NK has been a rational actor in the region with nukes and artillery that could hit Seoul or even Japan. They aren't going to effectively glass themselves by launching a nuke at the US when they could have done the same thing by attacking SK or elsewhere.

Pakistan has sold nuclear technology to other states and we don't do anything about that. If we were honestly worried about state sponsored nuclear proliferation we should have done something about that.

brian577

Banned
These are the most likely scenarios

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-considers-military-options-against-north-korea-over-nuclear-program/

If North Korea conducts another underground nuclear test or launches more missiles into the sea, the U.S. would likely limit its reaction to a show of force, sending B-1 bombers from Guam to fly along the coast and bringing in an aircraft carrier battle group. However, if North Korea were to launch an intercontinental ballistic missile toward the U.S., that might trigger a military response in the form of a cyberattack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom