• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea (DPRK) tourism |OT| - surreal, beautiful, friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkitty

It is easy for people in the west to criticise NK on what the west tells us, but most media is a propaganda tool for the Governments/elite. How do we know to believe what the western media tell us about NK without going and at least having an inside perspective, even if it is controlled?

I would like to visit, if only for the experience.

be sure to update us when you visit the concentration camps during your guided tour.

sin2sin

Neo Member
Thanks for a wonderful thread OP. I throughly enjoyed reading it :)

On a side note:
Sometimes I wish threads had a comment something nice or don't comment at all rule. Keep throwing stones guys, I'm sure your glass houses will be fine :)

BajiBoxer

Banned
I know it ain't a paradise and bad stuff happens, but ALL countries commit atrocities and it is just the mystery surrounding NK that makes me want to visit.
Comparing NK propaganda to the media we have access to outside of NK is a pretty huge false equivalence. It's pure nonsense really.

Silentium

It is easy for people in the west to criticise NK on what the west tells us, but most media is a propaganda tool for the Governments/elite. How do we know to believe what the western media tell us about NK without going and at least having an inside perspective, even if it is controlled?

I know it ain't a paradise and bad stuff happens, but ALL countries commit atrocities and it is just the mystery surrounding NK that makes me want to visit.
No, your opinion is actually just wrong. North Korea is probably the most oppressive state regime in the world today.

The UN investigated and gathered evidence from over 320 witnesses, victims and experts and found that the NK regime was responsible for:
“extermination, murder, enslavement, torture, imprisonment, rape, forced abortions and other sexual violence, persecution on political, religious, racial and gender grounds, the forcible transfer of populations, the enforced disappearance of persons and the inhumane act of knowingly causing prolonged starvation.”
and concluded that:
“Systematic, widespread and gross human rights violations have been, and are being, committed by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, its institutions and officials. In many instances, the violations of human rights found by the commission constitute crimes against humanity. These are not mere excesses of the state. They are essential components of a political system that has moved far from the ideals on which it claims to be founded. The gravity, scale and nature of these violations reveal a state that does not have any parallel in the contemporary world. Political scientists of the 20th century characterized this type of political organization as a totalitarian state: A state that does not content itself with ensuring the authoritarian rule of a small group of people, but seeks to dominate every aspect of its citizens’ lives and terrorizes them from within.”
During the investigation:
One woman had given an account of witnessing a female inmate forced to drown her own baby in a bucket
While another
[spoke] of being forced to burn the corpses of many prisoners who had died of starvation, before scattering their remains on crops.
And another witness testified to:
having to watch the public execution of their mother and brother.
The investigation heard testimony of:
forced abortions, sometimes using chemicals or beatings, or surgical procedures without anaesthetic.
We also know that
Pyongyang has used food as "a means of control over the population" and "deliberate starvation" to punish political and ordinary prisoners
The head of the investigation, respected Australian former High Court Judge Michael Kirby said that the actions of North Korea have a "striking resemblance" to those committed by the Nazis.

If you travel to North Korea you are providing a lifeline (by providing hard foreign currency) to a murderous regime that cruelly oppresses its own people.

EDIT: Went back and read the OP again; If that was written by the Tourism Department of NK I wouldn't be surprised. Completely glosses over the reality of the country all in the name of experience. The OP is one of the most appalling white-washes I've read in a while.

terrisus

We have plenty of inside perspectives, from people who have escaped or defected. It's one big concentration camp.

be sure to update us when you visit the concentration camps during your guided tour.

"Can't believe Western Media™, really wish we could get some reports from non-Western Media™ sources"

"We do have that."
"Yeah, and it pretty much echoes what has been said everywhere else."

"Yeah... Well... Sure it's not great, but every place isn't great. But North Korea has mystery"

So, what exactly was the point of the original post, then?

terrisus

On a side note:
Sometimes I wish threads had a comment something nice or don't comment at all rule. Keep throwing stones guys, I'm sure your glass houses will be fine :)

Yeah, just think how interesting all the threads on gaming-side would be if people couldn't criticize something or say bad things about something or even question something, but only post universal praise about something. Big OTs would have positively dozens of posts. And plus, after all, most people here can't even make games. What a bunch of hypocrites we are.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Wait what? People actually want to visit North Korea as a tourist spot? I read the op and im still baffled.
Well, it would be one of the most unique touring experiences out there. Getting in there and photographing this weird ass propaganda city while you can would be an interesting experience imo. Who knows how long they can keep up the charade.

sin2sin

Neo Member
Yeah, just think how interesting all the threads on gaming-side would be if people couldn't criticize something or say bad things about something or even question something, but only post universal praise about something. Big OTs would have positively dozens of posts. And plus, after all, most people here can't even make games. What a bunch of hypocrites we are.

Well tbh if one thread had this rule you would be free to create another which didn't have this rule. I never stated this would be a universal rule to rule all threads or anything.

munchie64

On a side note:
Jesus fucking Christ.

aerts1js

Well, it would be one of the most unique touring experiences out there. Getting in there and photographing this weird ass propaganda city while you can would be an interesting experience imo. Who knows how long they can keep up the charade.

I'm not going to support a insanely oppressive government with my money (from tourism) just so I can get some unique photos. It's not like you can walk around wherever you want on the tour anyway.

Nivash

No, your opinion is actually just wrong. North Korea is probably the most oppressive state regime in the world today.

The UN investigated and gathered evidence from over 320 witnesses, victims and experts and found that the NK regime was responsible for:

and concluded that:

While another

We also know that

The head of the investigation, respected Australian former High Court Judge Michael Kirby said that the actions of North Korea have a "striking resemblance" to those committed by the Nazis.

If you travel to North Korea you are providing a lifeline (by providing hard foreign currency) to a murderous regime that cruelly oppresses its own people.

This has to be repeated a thousand times. People living in the West can't begin to imagine just how ludicrously oppressive North Korea is - unless they happened to have gone to jail at some point, because that's the closest you get. The entire country is basically a prison. North Koreans, unless they're part of the elite, have no true agency. The state govern their entire lives. Here's just a small excerpt:

North Korea: Through the Looking Glass said:
Senior party officials, city officials, deputy factory managers and similar officials live in number 3 housing: a medium-sized, single-family detached house or older apartment with two rooms and a kitchen. The working intelligentsia with no special skills or rank such as government and party clerks, live in number 2 housing, which is a one- or two-room apartment with kitchen.

At the number 1 level three types of housing exist. Multifamily houses or flats with one or two rooms and a space for cooking for each family are for low-rank officials and ordinary workers. Workers on collective farms get two rooms and a kitchen in multiunit housing; some farmers live in the traditional two- or three-room Korean farmhouses. The housing shortage presents a special problem for newlyweds, who must wait two or three years for their own home, in the meantime living with relatives or even strangers.

Since the 1960s, the dream of the North Korean people - and the promise of the party - has been to "eat rice and meat soup, wear silk clothes and live in a house with a tiled roof". The silk clothes would be the traditional Korean costume (hanbok) worn on festive occasions. In principle, every year two sets of working clothes and street clothes are provided. In actuality, the immediate concern concern of most North Koreans has been how to obtain such basics as shoes and socks. A North Korean pilot who defected to the ROK with his airplane in May 1996 was wearing foot wrappings instead of socks. He said wrappings were standard issue for soldiers, but pilots such as himself received two pairs of wrappings and two pairs of socks every year (he did not explain in the interview why he was not wearing the socks).

Another commonly used example is the government-issued radio that is permanently tuned to the government broadcast and can't be turned off.

It's not about poverty - it's about control. Total control. The government decides where you live. It decides what you listen to and when. It decides what clothes you wear. And despite this complete, total control the OP can't believe that every part of his tour - which had him engaging with conspicuously upbeat and smiling people at any given time - could possibly have been orchestrated? Really? North Korea is perfectly fine with showing you some poverty because that leads to empathy. But they don't show you anything like the true horror. It's the Disney version: "Oh yes, we're poor, very poor, but we endure it all with a smile on our face because we are a brave people who work towards a bright future!" You don't get to see the forced laborers or the starving orphans. Just actors, or people who have been told to clean up and put on a brave face for the duration of your short visit. It's theater, nothing more than a refined version of a Potemkin village.

People like to make the ignorant claim that because of the NSA, the US is basically 1984 and I assume that's because they haven't actually read the book. North Korea is the true Orwellian nightmare come true: a gigantic mind control experiment where the government has such complete control that dissent is basically impossible and only a select few can even manage to escape. Thankfully, this control has begun to break up. More and more outside information finds its way into North Korea and the government's previously total control of knowledge about both the country itself and the outside world is cracking.

But if you decide to go there as a tourist, be aware that you are in fact supporting the regime to a much further extent than you believe. Why do you think North Korea arranges tours in the first place? Because it's one of very few ways they can get their hands on legitimate foreign currency. The OP seemed to think that the money he spent would somehow end up in the pockets of the people he payed, but that's just ludicrously naive. All of it goes to fund whatever the regime leadership wants to spend it on. Not one cent actually goes to the poor common people.

Carcetti

The idea of visiting is very interesting, like going to see you own BioShock country out of this world. I wouldn't want to give a single euro even indirectly to a regime with gigantic concentration camps anymore than I'd have wanted to bankroll Holocaust or the Killing Fields.

The OP also reads remarkably like an actual state-sanctioned NK propaganda probably would. Maybe Kim likes games so they have a presence on GAF.

Dead Man

and concluded that:

While another

We also know that

EDIT: Went back and read the OP again; If that was written by the Tourism Department of NK I wouldn't be surprised. Completely glosses over the reality of the country all in the name of experience. The OP is one of the most appalling white-washes I've read in a while.

Excellent post. I knew NK was fucked up, but it wasn't until I read 'Nothing To Envy' that it really sank in. I highly recommend it:

Lpw24VS.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_Envy

jediyoshi

Wait all modern, civilized countries currently have forced labor camps with malnourished people working to death? What's all this hubaloo about about then!

Shmuppers

I'm sorry, but the DPRK's claim to have the prettiest girls in Asia isn't even true in their immediate area. South Korean girls are best girls.

Interesting post OP. I still have my reservations about visiting but its cool to know that there is a way.

Although, if I may inquire, why did you refrain from listing the agency you used - you mentioned for the agency to avoid difficulties with the government - but surely they would benefit from the positive word of mouth?!

Edit:

I'm sorry, but the DPRK's claim to have the prettiest girls in Asia isn't even true in their immediate area. South Korean girls are best girls.

Yup :3

Interesting post OP. I still have my reservations about visiting but its cool to know that there is a way.

Although, if I may inquire, why did you refrain from listing the agency you used - you mentioned for the agency to avoid difficulties with the government - but surely they would benefit from the positive word of mouth?!

Edit:

Yup :3
Probably so the angry protesters in here don't go mass effect 3 style on them and bake them cupcakes and try and change them?

Chittagong

Gold Member

Thanks. The reason I didn't mention them is that the DPRK government is very fickle on who they work with and getting to do tours with them takes a lot of work. If they see that the tours result in critical discussion like the one we are having here they might conclude that this particular agency has not been a trustworthy partner to them. Also it could bring trouble to our guides, that they have 'failed' to fully convince me of the joys of Juche.

I know that's probably overly cautious but they don't really think in a way we'd see as rational.

In case you are interested, I can PM you the agency name.

EDIT: I am currently reading this book, it's a fascinating look into the kids of the elite in DPRK, and how weird the general world view is there:

Matty8787

Wait all modern, civilized countries currently have forced labor camps with malnourished people working to death? What's all this hubaloo about about then!

Lets not put words in my mouth eh? I never said there was concentration camps. But it is well known that the terrorists we fight today were funded and armed by us way back when. I just said all have caused atrocities, which they have.

Thanks. The reason I didn't mention them is that the DPRK government is very fickle on who they work with and getting to do tours with them takes a lot of work. If they see that the tours result in critical discussion like the one we are having here they might conclude that this particular agency has not been a trustworthy partner to them. Also it could bring trouble to our guides, that they have 'failed' to fully convince me of the joys of Juche.

I know that's probably overly cautious but they don't really think in a way we'd see as rational.

In case you are interested, I can PM you the agency name.

EDIT: I am currently reading this book, it's a fascinating look into the kids of the elite in DPRK, and how weird the general world view is there:

Thank you for the reply OP. No its ok, for the moment I'll rely on visitor feedback like yours.

LoveCake

I would like to go & visit, i would also like to visit Chernobyl as well.

Not sure why people are having a issue though, saying tourists are giving money to prop up a regime, you could argue the same thing about many countries depending on your perspective & world outlook, China, South Africa & the USA spring to mind.

I'll check out the video the OP's tourist friend took later.

aerts1js

I would like to go & visit, i would also like to visit Chernobyl as well.

Not sure why people are having a issue though, saying tourists are giving money to prop up a regime, you could argue the same thing about many countries depending on your perspective & world outlook, China, South Africa & the USA spring to mind.

I'll check out the video the OP's tourist friend took later.

I'm curious why you personally think the countries you mentioned are comparable to North Korea.

Mrmartel

Banned
I would suspect if a similar thread was made extolling the virtues, beauty and purity of a vacation to Nazi/Fascist state it would be locked before 5 posts. But yet this thread carries on. Especially with a OP that completely dances around any of the known facts/repression/atrocities that any traveler would be helping fund.

I guess in that sense the OP is quite genius really. He could whitewash a Nazi Germany.

jediyoshi

Lets not put words in my mouth eh? I never said there was concentration camps. But it is well known that the terrorists we fight today were funded and armed by us way back when. I just said all have caused atrocities, which they have.

Hell, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt with that interpretation. Otherwise you're somehow conflating the idea that shitty things having happened at some point in time can be conflated with shitty things currently happening, also regardless as to its extent.

I will admit, after hearing of Drew Scanlon's account of his trip intrigued me, but after watching A State Of Mind, a documentary on two teenage girls who devote their lives to the North Korean mass games, it's a fucking harrowing place. It's interesting, but oh good lord.

Opening up, reform, and investment has done well with other countries. No reason to think it wouldn't work with North Korea. Walling them off won't do anything positive at all.

Opening up, reform, and investment has done well with other countries. No reason to think it wouldn't work with North Korea. Walling them off won't do anything positive at all.

What's the rule? You do not negotiate with terrorists. Unfortunately for NK, their leadership has a long history of state-sponsored terrorist attacks against South Korean civilians. For this reason, for at the least political reasons, there can be no full cooperation with NK as long as the current regime remains in power.

Why is it something to brag about? I honestly don't get it.

A rare chance to enter an Orwellian Socialist state with a luxurious playboy King at the top. Lots of danger involved, too, as they may detain and sentence you to a life of hard labor at any second and will not have to show cause for it. It's like surviving something really dangerous; an adventure. I think that's totally brag-worthy.

Shmuppers

For those unsure about traveling to a brutal totalitarian state, South Korea offers the same scenic landscape and charming hospitality minus the human rights violations and malnutrition!

I went to Busan earlier this year, can't recommend it enough!

130703172922-best-of-busan-story-top-story-top.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

aerts1js

What's the rule? You do not negotiate with terrorists. Unfortunately for NK, their leadership has a long history of state-sponsored terrorist attacks against South Korean civilians. For this reason, for at the least political reasons, there can be no full cooperation with NK as long as the current regime remains in power.

A rare chance to enter an Orwellian Socialist state with a luxurious playboy King at the top. Lots of danger involved, too, as they may detain and sentence you to a life of hard labor at any second and will not have to show cause for it. It's like surviving something really dangerous; an adventure. I think that's totally brag-worthy.

.....but at the same time you're discouraging change and giving money (the tours aren't cheap) to a regime that's insane.

Also, has a westerner EVER died in a labor camp in North Korea? How dangerous is it really to go on a tour in North Korea? I think the "idea" of it being dangerous is far from the reality.

Finally, going on a guided tour is about as unadventurous as it gets.

Chittagong

Gold Member
.....but at the same time you're discouraging change and giving money (the tours aren't cheap) to a regime that's insane.

Also, has a westerner EVER died in a labor camp in North Korea? How dangerous is it really to go on a tour in North Korea? I think the "idea" of it being dangerous is far from the reality.

In my opinion it's pretty damn safe there, unless you do something outrageously stupid. If you think of the main tourist hazards, the chance of traffic accident is basically nil (no gas = no cars), petty crime against tourists doesn't exist (harsh penalties) and you won't get a STD (no alone-time with locals). But if you distribute religious / political materials, then you are in trouble.

The ethical concerns are real however. I personally did not view the low number of travellers annually (roughly 2,000 I think) contributing to any meaningful income to a regime with multibillion problems. Say an average trip brings KITC $500, that's $1M annually in revenue, costs excluded. It's more a moral concern on whether the act of paying itself is wrong.

As a westerner that's arrested in NK, you're basically a propaganda piece and political tool. You don't even really get sent to the severe concentration camps like Hoeryong, Kaechong or Yodok. Kenneth Bae, Matthew Todd Miller et al. were in *relatively* good condition over there.

That being said, don't sneak in a Bible or anything.

It is intriguing, but I don't think I'll go and give N. Korea my tourism money. I know none of it is going to help the citizens so I feel like I'm just padding government officials' pockets. Fuck that.

Ayumi

Why is it something to brag about? I honestly don't get it.

Well, I'm thinking people like forbidden fruits. And people know that most not being able to visit NK or not have been there before, it's something that can be a great conversational starter. If you meet someone who has been to NK, you'd probably be surprised and wanting to ask them things about their trip and such.

If other people in this thread are like me, they like scary things. Weird, scary and/or difficult things are interesting. It's very normal for humans to be curious about things that they can't always reach and study as much as they want to.

Look at the past 25 years of hard lined isolation and tell me what good any of it has done.

Nothing to Envy is one of the better NK books but still has some significant falsifications. One I remember is the book indicating that rice was unavailable in the city markets, which may have been true in certain situations at the time of publishing, but was not a specific "policy" so to speak, and definitely isn't the situation now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom