• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea: two teenage boys sentenced to 12 years of hard labour for watching K-dramas.

Go_Ly_Dow

Video at the link:

The video includes a narrator who is repeating state propaganda. "The rotten puppet regime's culture has spread even to teenagers," says the voice, in an apparent reference to South Korea. "They are just 16 years old, but they ruined their own future," it adds.

"If you get caught watching an American drama, you can get away with a bribe, but if you watch a Korean drama, you get shot," a North Korean defector told BBC Korean on Thursday.

"For North Korean people, Korean dramas are a 'drug' that helps them forget their difficult reality," the defector said.

"In North Korea, we learn that South Korea lives much worse than us, but when you watch South Korean dramas, it's a completely different world. It seems like the North Korean authorities are wary of that," said another North Korean defector in her 20s.
I forgot this shithole existed. Although I don't think 'shithole' adequetly describes the tragedy and injustice that is this country.

The day Hitler, aka Kim, his family the regime gets toppled it will be a truly wonderful moment, but sadly it seems it won't be anytime soon. ;(

Last edited:

*Nightwing

PKiNK0e.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The day Hitler, aka Kim, his family the regime gets toppled it will be a truly wonderful moment, but sadly it seems it won't be anytime soon. ;(

While I understand the comparison, it is overused. And thus makes the comparison meaningless. The Kim's are better compared to real communist like Mao, Stalin, and Pol Pot. These people destroyed their own people to enrich themselves and maintain power.

Go_Ly_Dow

While I understand the comparison, it is overused. And thus makes the comparison meaningless. The Kim's are better compared to real communist like Mao, Stalin, and Pol Pot. These people destroyed their own people to enrich themselves and maintain power.
He's both. Kim threatens the world with destruction, happily puts children, women and the elderly in truly awful labour camps, god knows how many have died under such abuse and will continue to die. Gives his soldiers the power to commit crimes against humanity and charge others with conspiracy. These are deliberate mistreatment policies like Hitler enacted.

Then at the same time enriches himself and retains power through trash economic policies, imprisoning the entire population by binding them to this system like the worst of the commies you mentioned.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
North Korea is a country and government that shouldn't exist in the 21st century yet here we are with a dystopian totalitarian fenced off country subjugating millions of people to a life of abject poverty and misery cut off from the modern world, it's nuts that one family is able to rule like some medieval monarchy in this day and age

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Then at the same time enriches himself and retains power through trash economic policies, imprisoning the entire population by binding them to this system like the worst of the commies you mentioned.

OK I am just going to stop you. The NAZI party used Keynesian economic principles that we still practice today (regrettably). In fact Nazi economics took depression era unemployment around 30% to near full employment. They did run deficits rearming the country for their upcoming wars, but economically Germany was a powerhouse while the world struggled with depression. NK has a different issue. There is no incentive to produce because the leaders own everything. Much like Russia under Stalin and future leaders like Gorbechev (SP) the state controlled everything. The German people were pleased with Hitler on an economic front. They were pleased with getting rid of the Jews too. Looking back at history, some US generals said of defeating the Germans, "we defeated the wrong army". Meaning we should have stopped Stalin as well, or after stopping Hitler, work with Germany to drive back Russia. I am not defending Hitler, but I am saying that to compare a fascist and communist is to simplify history. Neither are good, but in the long run, Communist have murdered far more than Fascist.

winjer

Gold Member
All of this because China decided to support Kim Il Sung, giving him weapons and armies to enslave the people of Korea.

Cyberpunkd

Is this a joke? Kim’s regime is responsible for untold suffering of millions for more than half a century know. They are up there with the worst of them.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Is this a joke? Kim’s regime is responsible for untold suffering of millions for more than half a century know. They are up there with the worst of them.
No I think I explained it. people throw around "Hitler" so much it is meaningless. But if you say the Kim's are like other Communist it is a more direct comparison. Mao, and Stalin murdered far more than Hitler's Ethnic cleansing. They also had the same ideology. Communist dictators like Kim are better compared to communist ideologues that slaughtered many of their own people in the name of equality.

Cyberpunkd

No I think I explained it. people throw around "Hitler" so much it is meaningless. But if you say the Kim's are like other Communist it is a more direct comparison. Mao, and Stalin murdered far more than Hitler's Ethnic cleansing. They also had the same ideology. Communist dictators like Kim are better compared to communist ideologues that slaughtered many of their own people in the name of equality.
Ok, I get it now. Agreed.

Go_Ly_Dow

OK I am just going to stop you. The NAZI party used Keynesian economic principles that we still practice today (regrettably). In fact Nazi economics took depression era unemployment around 30% to near full employment. They did run deficits rearming the country for their upcoming wars, but economically Germany was a powerhouse while the world struggled with depression. NK has a different issue. There is no incentive to produce because the leaders own everything. Much like Russia under Stalin and future leaders like Gorbechev (SP) the state controlled everything. The German people were pleased with Hitler on an economic front. They were pleased with getting rid of the Jews too. Looking back at history, some US generals said of defeating the Germans, "we defeated the wrong army". Meaning we should have stopped Stalin as well, or after stopping Hitler, work with Germany to drive back Russia. I am not defending Hitler, but I am saying that to compare a fascist and communist is to simplify history. Neither are good, but in the long run, Communist have murdered far more than Fascist.

Sure I'm with you, but I'm not someone that throw's around the Hitler slur (in fact I think this is the first time I ever have) and I'm also not comparing Kim to the Nazi party. I'm comparing him to an individual who was a tyrant that used his power to do terrible things to people just like Kim is. Mao, Stalin and the rest were also tyrants and I'm not disagreeing with those points and the fact that they are probably better example. But I think comparing a tyrant to a tyrant is still valid. You're last point I fully align with about communism killing more than fascist doctirine.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Neither Mao, nor Stalin were communists.

Communism: "a theory or system of social organization in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs."

Mao and Stalin were just plain, sociopathic dictators.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Neither Mao, nor Stalin were communists.

Communism: "a theory or system of social organization in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs."

Mao and Stalin were just plain, sociopathic dictators.

Mao Zedong[a] (26 December 1893 – 9 September 1976) was a Chinese politician, Marxist theorist, military strategist, poet, and revolutionary who was the founder of the People's Republic of China (PRC). He led the country from its establishment in 1949 until his death in 1976, while also serving as the chairman of the Chinese Communist Party

Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin[g] (born Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili;[d] 18 December [O.S. 6 December] 1878 – 5 March 1953) was a Sovietrevolutionary and politician who was the leader of the Soviet Union from 1924 until his death in 1953. He held power as General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

Seems pretty clear cut. Both chaired their communist parties.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Mao Zedong[a] (26 December 1893 – 9 September 1976) was a Chinese politician, Marxist theorist, military strategist, poet, and revolutionary who was the founder of the People's Republic of China (PRC). He led the country from its establishment in 1949 until his death in 1976, while also serving as the chairman of the Chinese Communist Party

Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin[g] (born Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili;[d] 18 December [O.S. 6 December] 1878 – 5 March 1953) was a Sovietrevolutionary and politician who was the leader of the Soviet Union from 1924 until his death in 1953. He held power as General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

Seems pretty clear cut. Both chaired their communist parties.
James Franco GIF

Seems like China enjoys the buffer between US allied South Korea. Probably the reason why they're keeping things the way they are with North Korea.

Only way things end is if Kim and his entire family are killed.

Last edited:

Toons

And people like to say we don't have freedom of speech.

This is what not having freedom looks like. Not you getting down voted on the internet becayse you said something controversial.

nkarafo

And people like to say we don't have freedom of speech.

This is what not having freedom looks like. Not you getting down voted on the internet becayse you said something controversial.
To be fair, NK is a very low, unreasonable standard. I'm not going to compare my reality to theirs. That's how you lower your own standards.

deoxxys

Neo Member
If I had Superman level powers, the first thing I would do is offer the North Korean people free passage to leave.

Kim jong-un's military would pull up shoot me in the chest and I would defiantly stand as the bullets bounce off my chest. Twist their rifles in half and catch a tank shot with my bare hands.

It's terrible they live in such a hellhole with no choice to leave or lead their lives how they want.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My 10 year old self imagines the rest of the free world just invading North Korea to free its people but then my 55 year old self laughs at how ridiculous it sounds.

Visions of another Vietnam and nuclear catastrophe.

Top Bottom