• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Koreans want to see The Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korean-demand-for-the-interview-2014-12

According to Free North Korea Radio, an online radio network made by North Korean defectors, demand for “The Interview” has been shooting up among North Koreans. It says people are willing to pay almost $50 a copy of the movie, which is 10X higher than what a regular South Korean TV show’s DVD would cost in the black market.

The report says the North Korean government has beefed up its border security inspection level, and even told black market dealers to not bring in any kind of US movie for the time being.

In fact, Rich Klein of the advisory firm McLarty Associates says that “The Interview” could become “a very real challenge to the ruling regime’s legitimacy.

North Korean defector and activist Park Sang Hak plans to send copies of “The Interview” to Pyongyang through 33-foot hydrogen balloons as soon as the film becomes available on DVD.

This bro comedy sure is something.

maxcriden

I have to imagine being caught with a copy of the film would result in very severe punishment, so I hope that those who make a point to see it are able to avoid being caught with it.

In fact, Rich Klein of the advisory firm McLarty Associates says that “The Interview” could become “a very real challenge to the ruling regime’s legitimacy.

It's ironic, because that's
the whole point of what the characters were trying to do in the movie.

Imagine if it actually affects their internal politics.

I can't help but thinking that guy with the balloon is just going to ruin some peoples lives when they get caught with it even when they don't know what it is.

akira28

Imagine if it actually affects their internal politics.

I can't help but thinking that guy with the balloon is just going to ruin some peoples lives when they get caught with it even when they don't know what it is.

someone is going to launch balloons with the movie attached, into NoKo?

Textbooks in the future are going to be ridiculously interesting.

"Comedians Seth Rogen and James Franco never imagined that their parody film 'The Interview' would be the first step in bringing democracy to North Korea."

Textbooks in the future are going to be ridiculously interesting.

"Comedians Seth Rogen and James Franco never imagined that their parody film 'The Interview' would be the first step in bringing democracy to North Korea."

God forbid, but how fucking crazy would it be if one of those guys were this generation's Franz Ferdinand?

Is this movie even any good?

It's ok.

Has some decently hilarious moments other parts are fairly shit.

Kinda half half if you ask me, team America did it better. I just think this one attacks Kim Jong Un on a more personal level.

I think it's worth seeing just to keep up wit the Jones'

brian577

Banned
Sending copies over by balloon? That sounds like a really bad idea. If NK is so scared of this movie that they'll wage cyber warfare to interfere with its release, how will they respond if people start literally bombing their country with the movie?

ivysaur12

Banned
Sending copies over by balloon? That sounds like a really bad idea. If NK is so scared of this movie that they'll will wage cyber warfare to interfere with its release, how will they respond if people start literally bombing their country with the movie?

They send anti-NK propaganda all the time over the border. Some TVs in the southern North Korea can pick up South Korean signals. Same with illegal cell phones -- some can get service in southern North Korean.

EDIT: Sort of wish there was a better anti-NK movie where this was happening. Something akin to The Killing Fields.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sending copies over by balloon? That sounds like a really bad idea. If NK is so scared of this movie that they'll wage cyber warfare to interfere with its release, how will they respond if people start literally bombing their country with the movie?
I think dropping anti-goverment propaganda is common.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...ons-anti-pyongyang-leaflets-north-korea-video

It's ok.

Has some decently hilarious moments other parts are fairly shit.

Kinda half half if you ask me, team America did it better. I just think this one attacks Kim Jong Un on a more personal level.

I think it's worth seeing just to keep up wit the Jones'
Thanks for the info.

brian577

Banned
They send anti-NK propaganda all the time over the border. Some TVs in the southern North Korea can pick up South Korean signals. Same with illegal cell phones -- some can get service in southern North Korean.

EDIT: Sort of wish there was a better anti-NK movie where this was happening. Something akin to The Killing Fields.

This seems a little different. There is something about this movie that utterly terrifies them.

nukedawg

Banned
I'm kind of confused at this point. NK WASN'T behind it after all, and may have been some disgruntled Sony internal employee? Then we allegedly fuck with NK's internet? Fuck NK and the way they treat people and all, but that was a dick move on the US's part too, if all the latest news is true.

Considering the horrific famines and general starvation the populace has gone through, I don't think many North Koreans are going to think eating a dog is unpalatable.

I think he was just making a thread cross-over reference. A South Korean-American was really offended by that part in the movie and made a thread about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom