• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note8 |OT| Bigger, Better, Less Flammable

Blackhead

Redarse
I was a diehard Windows fan for a long time. 920-1520-950-950XL.

My XL is still working good, got a new build today, but man.. It really feels like 2+ year old hardware. The lack of apps etc didn't really bother me that much, but the performance wasn't great.

The Note 8 is amazeballs. Holy crap everything is so quick. It's infinitely easier to multitask stuff.. And the goddamn Microsoft apps run faster and better on this phone. Outlook, Word, Excel, One drive, etc. Cortana doesn't work as good, but they've got Google Assistant or whatever and Bixby. But Cortana is here too.

It took a little while to tweak things how I want, there are like a bajillion notifications in Android, but after a week I am loving it.

I'll still be interested if a real Surface Phone ever comes out.. But for now the Note 8 is magnificent. It really feels like new fast speedy exciting tech.

Is it possible to give OneNote a higher level of system integration e.g. access if from the lock screen or with the SPen?

Is it possible to give OneNote a higher level of system integration e.g. access if from the lock screen or with the SPen?

Yes you can add OneDrive to the Spen shortcuts and the lock screen if you want. It behaves just like any other app.

You can attach pictures etc from OneDrive in text messages etc. It's basically the same as Windows Phone.. Maybe a little more rough but not bad.

Mine has been delayed from Best Buy, will be coming in on Tuesday :(

Anyone rocking the phone with out a screen protector? I am tempted to but for now I have a Whitestone Dome Glass coming in the mail.

chessnut

Does anyone have have a copy of their note 7 receipt that I can use for that trade-in deal? I'd be willing to give a steam game or something

Anyone know how to move all apps that can be, to the SD card, I can do it one by one but on my last phone I had an option to do it all at once.

Busaiku

Mine has been delayed from Best Buy, will be coming in on Tuesday :(

Anyone rocking the phone with out a screen protector? I am tempted to but for now I have a Whitestone Dome Glass coming in the mail.
I never use screen protectors or skins.

I've dropped my Note 3 and 5 in my house multiple times, no damage there. Dropped my Note 5 on cement once, and it had the slightest of nicks on the bottom corner. I didn't even notice the last year or so.

I already dropped this on wood, no changes; looks brand new. This drop wasn't from holding it though, I tried to slide it into my hand off a table.

Lgndryhr

Spent some time with a store model at Best Buy. Definitely is a lot better in person. May be my next phone afterall. Still on my note 4. Was able to compare it to the s8+. Definitely like the note better. Thought I wouldn't.

The Argus

ROQc4Pt_d.jpg

Extremely happy with the battery life so far. My G5 would have been dead seven times over by now. Been rocking my Note 8 since Tuesday, and it's already my favorite phone ever.

hohoXD123

This phone is awesome, Samsung has really changed touchwiz for the better recently. Highly customisable, from the navigation bar to the notification menu to the edge panel thing. The S pen feels fantastic. The screen looks very sharp and vibrant. The camera is great in low light. I was worried that it wouldn't be a big enough step up from my note 4 to justify getting it, but boy is it an improvement in almost every single way

Only a couple of issues, firstly the iris scanner doesn't work at all with my glasses on (maybe related to your prescription and so the degree of the distortion the lenses cause? My eyes are pretty shit) but the fingerprint sensor is in the perfect place for me and works very well, maybe I just hold the phone in a weird way compared to everyone else. The other issue I noticed is pretty bad stuttering in games like Injustice 2 at WQHD+ resolution, which I wasn't expecting considering the supposedly top of the line specs in this thing.

M_A_C

So no one is doing a screen protector? I'm always nervous to but my phone in my pocket without one.

The Argus

Very impressive.

Right? And that's with a fair amount of calls, texts, Hangouts, and general web browsing. It'll be cut in half by the end 2 year Verizon fiance plan, but even then it's still going to be an all dayer.

So no one is doing a screen protector? I'm always nervous to but my phone in my pocket without one.

I'm still waiting on IQ Shield (due Monday) to decide if I'm going screen guard or not. Generally I go with a glass shield, but the curved glass on the Note 8 makes the current offerings useless. If the IQ fits, feels, and looks good I'll keep it, if not I'm out $8 and will live another day. So far my Note has been stuffed into jeans, khakis and dress pants without a single scratch. My Note 3 had its screen guard removed 2 years ago and it's still pristine. Unless you're putting it into a confined space with pebbles you'll be fine. For drops I am rocking a Spigen Neo Hybrid case, which I love so far.

Anyone know how to disable the swipe to unlock? It seems that unless I press the little lock button on the screen my pattern/fingerprint id to unlock the screen isnt active and someone can just swipe up to access my phone.

TarNaru33

Banned
Anyone know how to disable the swipe to unlock? It seems that unless I press the little lock button on the screen my pattern/fingerprint id to unlock the screen isnt active and someone can just swipe up to access my phone.

That is weird, if you have your fingerprint id and pattern/pin enabled, it shouldn't allow you to swipe to unlock without inputting one of those.

kmfdmpig

Stay losing Qualcomm.

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

The 89 vs. 76 looks bad, but talk time is much better, video time is marginally better and browsing time is marginally worse on the Snapdragon. It's standby where the main difference lies, so I'm not as worried about the difference as I was when I just saw the overall ratings.
With that said, it looks like Exynos has been > Snapdragon overall for several years, so it's a shame that many of us are stuck using the Snapdragon variant.

That is weird, if you have your fingerprint id and pattern/pin enabled, it shouldn't allow you to swipe to unlock without inputting one of those.

Figured it out. Had the smart lock on where it disables on my person. Turned that off but kept the Home location unlock on.

Cronee

I've had my unlocked Note 8 for over a week now and couldn't be happier.

I had an S7 edge before and I hated it, wish I had never traded in my Note 4 for it. Within the first 30 days the rear camera glass shattered due to the phone overheating (I was driving, using google maps, charging, and playing music). Even now, just booting up the S7 Edge would cause the whole phone to heat up considerably. With the Note 8, I have been using Moonlight (PC game streaming) and playing games like XCOM: Enemy Within and TItan Quest and the phone remains so cool to the touch that it amazes me. I've gone so far as to loop 3DMark benchmarks just to see if I can get the phone to heat up and it never did.

I don't know if its the SD835 or the extra RAM or both but everything is so smooth. My S7 Edge had trouble backing out of youtube while a video was playing, often hanging on the main page before finally quiting. The Note 8 doesn't give a shit about anything I've thrown at it.

The battery life has been amazing too. Just yesterday I was replacing struts, brakes, and doing a tune up on my car and had my phone pumping out tunes while I worked. I ran it for about 7 hours (Headphone out to AUX in on my car) and it only dropped 11%. I tested the battery usage with Moonlight and about an hour of play only took about 15%. With my S7 Edge, I could read GAF for 5 minutes and it would drop 5%.

Oh, and the screen quality is amazing. Direct sun light viewing is just as good as indoor viewing. The screen on my Note 8 seems a bit warmer than that of my S7 Edge but its nothing that can't be corrected since Samsung was nice enough to offer more control over the display color balance. Heck, there are RGB sliders that allow even more control. My only gripe is the terribly high response time of the display. Ghosting is a serious issue, mostly on black scenes, but that's just how AMOLED displays are.

The dual OIS cameras are great but I wish they'd start packing 16MP cameras again. My old Note 4 took some amazing pictures and my S7 Edge took some decent pictures, shattered camera glass aside. The Note 8 takes some amazing pictures thanks to the software but I want to take better 16:9 pictures without having to sacrifice image quality.

Overall, I love the Note 8. I wish, same as anyone else, the battery could be larger but I understand Samsung playing it safe after the Note 7 meltdown. Hopefully, with the Note 9 they go back to taking chances on new features again.

TarNaru33

Banned
Figured it out. Had the smart lock on where it disables on my person. Turned that off but kept the Home location unlock on.

Oh, that is why, I kept that off because I don't find it too inconvenient to have to unlock with my finger every time I use it no matter where I am.

BFIB

Went to help my nephew get ready for homecoming, took a live focus shot of him. I've had quite a few ask what camera I used.

I love this phone!

figure I'll ask the Note 8 related stupid questions here. how in the world do I change my ringtone? in the setup menu when I select ring tone it would just jump to my file manager.

on another note (pun somewhat intended), loving the phone so far. got a Spigen case for it and still waiting for screen protector to arrive. decided to get the 360 camrea from the promotion and buy the memory card myself. gonna look forward to trying it out.

Highly considering jumping from my iPhone 7 Plus to this.

Quick question though - what's a good screen protector for this? I've used a cheap Yootech tempered glass one for my iPhone and it was fantastic for the price, but I'm not even sure how screen protectors work with these new edge rounded phones.

kmfdmpig

figure I'll ask the Note 8 related stupid questions here. how in the world do I change my ringtone? in the setup menu when I select ring tone it would just jump to my file manager.

on another note (pun somewhat intended), loving the phone so far. got a Spigen case for it and still waiting for screen protector to arrive. decided to get the 360 camrea from the promotion and buy the memory card myself. gonna look forward to trying it out.

You can change it for individual contacts.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/831304-note-8-ringtones.html

I assume you'd just use whatever sound file you'd want when it presents the file manager.

MazeHaze

Banned
Got one of these on Saturday. That Best Buy trade in promo is crazy, basically getting half off for trading in an LG G5 and my GF got like 75 percent off by trading in her S7.

I'm loving my long boy so far. It makes my G5 look like a stupid little baby phone.

Treo360

Got one of these on Saturday. That Best Buy trade in promo is crazy, basically getting half off for trading in an LG G5 and my GF got like 75 percent off by trading in her S7.

I'm loving my long boy so far. It makes my G5 look like a stupid little baby phone.

I wonder if I could trade a s8+

Lgndryhr

I find it weird samsung accepts a lot of their devices for the trade-in promo towards the note 8, but not a note 4.

j9bL6FX.png

default Ringtone is under Sound and Vibration.

Top Bottom