• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mwahaha. Yes, the NaNoBot is indiscriminately assuming that anyone posting in this thread wants to sign up. It does have an exclusion list, but no one really wants to be on that list, do they? :p

Is NaNoBot what happens when ModBot finally quits and decides to write a tell-all book about all the crazy antics it saw while modding a forum? With a subtitle like "You Won't Believe The Things I Saw"

Ruuppa

Have to work on my thesis this year, so I might not have time to join up.. Will try to find the time for it, since NaNo's deadline-stress feels so good.

I have 35-40K words of pre-writing between my outline and character shit, I really hope that doesn't translate into a 350,000 word book!

(Actual outline alone though? Sounds like a pretty good rule of thumb.)

Crumbs! Is that a sort of universe bible type thing? Or purely novel related?

Cyan

Banned
Seems to increase each year.o_O
It does! GAF has been growing slowly over time, and participation has been growing accordingly. It's interesting how every year, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 of participants wind up finishing.

"Look to your left. Look to your right. Is one of those people a winner? No? Then it's you!"

We should do some GAF meetups during NaNo, Cyan! ;D

Absolutely! I mentioned in the OP that I plan to do... something. I'm not sure what form that will take, whether it's a few larger online hangouts a la the writing challenge ones, or whether I'll put something up daily whenever I'm working, and people can drop in or out as they please. If the latter, tinychat might make more sense than Google hangouts. We'll see!

Conan-san

It's a lot more than I have for mine, I'll give it that.

As a side, it's a real pain in the rear to research FFX's NPC clothes thanks to X-2 (The planet my story takes place in is basically GunSmoke (Trigun) if instead of dessert it was Hawaii hence the FFX inspired fashion)

Also pressing my shit in this year is the fact that I'm trying to start a website/media design business so that two hour post-dinner block of work might become Nanowrimo Keybord Slapping Time over November.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm in again, though work has piled up to an almost insane degree so I don't know if I'll quite be able to keep up my usual madman pace this year. If I die trying, I'd like my name to get inscribed in the thread OP in memorial.

Let's do this, lovelies. <3

Cyan

Banned
Is NaNoBot what happens when ModBot finally quits and decides to write a tell-all book about all the crazy antics it saw while modding a forum? With a subtitle like "You Won't Believe The Things I Saw"

I was inspired by stump's work on ModBot to write my own python script to pick up people's NaNo wordcounts in the thread. Working fine so far for just getting names, we'll see how it holds up when people start posting wordcounts and screwing up the format. :p

Mike M

Nick N
Crumbs! Is that a sort of universe bible type thing? Or purely novel related?
Purely novel related, though if I ever did a follow up I could recycle some of it. The outline itself is currently at 8Kish (Still filling in notes on each chapter), I usually estimate 2K word chapters, I have 44 plotted... So by the time I'm done, a 1:10 ratio sounds about right.

The character sketches range from 5K for the protagonist to 3Kish for the primary supporting characters and 1.5Kish for the secondary. Miscellaneous notes on the magic system and setting are probably another 3K, tops.

Einherjar

I always wanted to do this, but never found real motivation. Some novel reading this year though has definitely motivated me, and am in for this year.

Do they provide assistance connecting with publishers for winners? I wonder what the best avenue to market a 50~60k word short story / light novel would be in the NA market. Self publishing through Amazon?

I have an idea that I've been sitting on for far too long, and since my time is spent prettying up other people's shit, it's time to bang out some of my own.

tl;dr: Color me in.

Cyan

Banned
Do they provide assistance connecting with publishers for winners? I wonder what the best avenue to market a 50~60k word short story / light novel would be in the NA market. Self publishing through Amazon?

No, this is much more about finishing a novel than publishing a novel. The closest they come to anything like that is that CreateSpace has a winner offer where they'll give you a free paperback copy of your novel.

Ashes

Banned
I'm beginning to believe that Mike M is either:
a, Mad Scientist
or
b, Mad Scientist.
or
c, all the above.

Delio

Absolutely! I mentioned in the OP that I plan to do... something. I'm not sure what form that will take, whether it's a few larger online hangouts a la the writing challenge ones, or whether I'll put something up daily whenever I'm working, and people can drop in or out as they please. If the latter, tinychat might make more sense than Google hangouts. We'll see!

Having a Tinychat for Nano would be an interesting change.

Mike M

Nick N
Strictly speaking, I'm not even a scientist, it's just easier to tell people that than to explain how I am an anonymous middle-management cog in the Big Pharma machine who schedules the studies and oversees the staff carrying out the protocols.

I'd go with "scientician," but Technomancer stole that tag...

RetroMG

I can't do it again this year. (Full time work and school, Family, and about fifteen million other things) But I always like to come in and wish everyone good luck! I did it a few years ago and it was an amazing experience.

I can't do it again this year. (Full time work and school, Family, and about fifteen million other things) But I always like to come in and wish everyone good luck! I did it a few years ago and it was an amazing experience.

Well, by posting here to inform us you can't NaNoWriMo, you've actually added yourself to the list.

So it sounds like you're gonna NaNoWriMo.

Ainsz

I'm in! Somehow, Saturn will collide with Earth in 50,000 words. Hopefully starting a new job around the beginning of November so my chances of making it might slip.

Ashes

Banned
Hey just a thought, Cyan, maybe you should color code winners that won the challenge more than once. Though I don't know if mods have the power to have other color texts besides red, but it's a thought.

I dunno. I kinda think it's cool that I've never even finished it once going by the leaderboard. A reset if you will.

sqwarlock

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to participate this year. November is a busy month for me, what with BlizzCon and the WoW expansion going to take up a lot of my professional and personal time. Still, I may try. No guarantees.

Ashes

Banned
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to participate this year. November is a busy month for me, what with BlizzCon and the WoW expansion going to take up a lot of my professional and personal time. Still, I may try. No guarantees.

I'm tryin to read a novel every 3 days. I'm sure you can manage just fine.

Korten

Banned
I entered last time and didn't complete... This time, I think there is a chance I will join!

When does this start?

Sober

God fucking dammit why did you have to go and tell me this?

It's okay, it's okay, I stopped raiding a long time ago...

HELP ME

Korten

Banned
November 1st at midnight local time!

Hm... I think unlike last time, I'll actually write an outline and character sheets. Which I think was my downfall last time since last time I had to write everything off the top of my head.

LiamExe

Oh god, is it almost November again already? ;_;

Count me in again this year for sure. I just barely managed to pass by the finish line last year, but I'm sure this year will go by smoother. Probably. Maybe. I hope.

Jintor

Checking in

Oh God what am I doing. I have full time work for the first time ever, I have a trip to Kyoto planned, I'm going to be so ducking dead this month

Ashes

Banned
God fucking dammit why did you have to go and tell me this?

It's okay, it's okay, I stopped raiding a long time ago...

HELP ME

I used to a know a guy that claimed he played wow most of his waking life. Well when inside his home anyway. He used to surface for air, work, and friendship every now and again.

Sonicbug

Oh no..... it's that time again....

I have no idea what I'm gonna write, and work has been a pit of despair and loathing which is trying to destroy me...

Whatever. I'm in Cyan.

sqwarlock

I used to a know a guy that claimed he played wow most of his waking life. Well when inside his home anyway. He used to surface for air, work, and friendship every now and again.

I've never played WoW THAT much, but for once I can honestly say that playing that game helped me get my current job.

Count me in for this year! I signed up last year and didn't publish a word so I'm looking to change that, even if it means splitting my anthology series into two halves so I don't try and write an 800-page book for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom