• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now playing: [Ps2] Venus & Braves

This will be my "baptism of fire" with videogames in Japanese.

2kPA0.png

I remember hearing about this in the early days of the Ps2 as a very highly regarded game.
The game never got translated in English in the end, most likely due to the SCEA hate for 2D games but its name kept on ringing in my head. Then last year I found a copy while I was staying in Tokyo and I bought it.

Apart from the art style, the most interesting thing about this game is the battle system.

You have a 4x3 grid in which you place up to 7 characters.
The grid has a Front Row, Middle Row and Back row.
The Front attacks, the Middle defends the Front and the Back heals themselves or the same row.
The enemy can only attack the front row and the ONLY interaction you have with the characters is to tell them to Stay in position or Rotate.

So basically it goes like this, you let the Front row attack and take damage, then move them to the Back where they can heal and move them forward to the middle to defend the Front and so on...

Very interesting, and it opens up to several tactics.
I have yet to explore the gameplay system further (I'm reading about it on the net) so I'll share more details about it later on.

It's the first game that I will be playing in Japanese without help from fantranslations, the only existing one is incomplete (it covers the first half only).

Is there anyone here that played this?
It would be interesting to hear some first hand advice!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have the CE of this game. Badass set

I love this game to death. I love how as soldiers get older, they get stronger, and then start to lose stats as they get really old. It puts your character's immortality in perspective.

Also, I love the battle system. The actual battles are a case of moving rows or not, but setting up rows so that certain characters always heal or attack in rotations is awesome. A good mix of depth and simplicity. The sprite art os stellar as well.

Get ready to feel attached to a warrior, and then watch them age, forcing you to replace them with a younger, more capable soldier. :(

Btw, if you like this, you should seek out 7, which is the game before this.

For those curious, this is what the game looks like in battle:

IKm7j.jpg

One thing you should be doing for your main attack row is at least one person who does okay damage, but can heal the whole row. Keep that row in until things are looking rough, then move them back and let them heal. Have at least one row like that, and battles will fly by.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Also, keep an eye on the year all the time. Don't pick characters that are too young (unless you have older soldiers that can pick up the slack for them until they are decent warriors), but also don't grab soldiers who are in their 30's. By the time you're in the swing of things and slaying fools, you'll start seeing a bunch of soldiers are in their 50's, and it's all downhill from there.

If you ask me, this game has done the best job of any game I've played of simulating the concept of immortality, and watching all of your friends age and die around you (the protagonist is immortal). It's kind of depressing.

I have the CE of this game. Badass set

I love this game to death. I love how as soldiers get older, they get stronger, and then start to lose stats as they get really old. It puts your character's immortality in perspective.

Also, I love the battle system. The actual battles are a case of moving rows or not, but setting up rows so that certain characters always heal or attack in rotations is awesome. A good mix of depth and simplicity. The sprite art os stellar as well.

Get ready to feel attached to a warrior, and then watch them age, forcing you to replace them with a younger, more capable soldier. :(

Btw, if you like this, you should seek out 7, which is the game before this.

Thanks for all the hints! :)

I've read about the time flowing and about the protagonist's immortality, I've also read that while time passes, characters die and when the funreal is celebrated how may people attend it is an indicator of how strong he was.

About 7, I'll definitely keep it in mind if I manage to beat this in a reasonable time. I decided to start with this because it had at least half translation done, enough to get me acclimatized with the special terms and the beginning of the story.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I remember this game, great story though do recall it being quite difficult. The art style was very original and added to the overall charm of the title.

thetrin

Thanks for all the hints! :)

I've read about the time flowing and about the protagonist's immortality, I've also read that while time passes, characters die and when the funreal is celebrated how may people attend it is an indicator of how strong he was.

About 7, I'll definitely keep it in mind if I manage to beat this in a reasonable time. I decided to start with this because it had at least half translation done, enough to get me acclimatized with the special terms and the beginnig of the story.

Yeah, as far as I know, 7 doesn't have a translation at all, so it'll be a bit more of a slog.

Enjoy the game! This thread has inspired me to load it up again. I might start a new game and play it through again.

Aeana

I love this game so muchhhh. It's been a really long time since I played it now. I forgot to pick up the PSP version, now I kinda want to grab it.

GhaleonQ

Also, keep an eye on the year all the time. Don't pick characters that are too young (unless you have older soldiers that can pick up the slack for them until they are decent warriors), but also don't grab soldiers who are in their 30's. By the time you're in the swing of things and slaying fools, you'll start seeing a bunch of soldiers are in their 50's, and it's all downhill from there.

If you ask me, this game has done the best job of any game I've played of simulating the concept of immortality, and watching all of your friends age and die around you (the protagonist is immortal). It's kind of depressing.

I'd have to think about it, but it's certainly the most memorable. 7 and this would have such a fanbase here had they gotten localizations. I feel like they'd be every bit the "cool kids" namedrop. I still haven't read anyone who's actively disliked either.

I managed to get to chapter 3. The battle system is FANTASTIC!!

Before starting the battle there is a screen that tells you all the monster stats, including how much damage it does per turn, how high is his defense and if he heals and by how much.
This means that you can carefully plan the battle before hand, there are no random variables like in normal RPGs. If a monster has an attack of 12, it will always cause 12 HP damage, not a range between 10-15.

A few things I'm wondering though, can I do free battles to level up my characters if needed? So far there is no need, I managed to win all the battles without anyone dying, if I have difficulties I can always try a better tactic, but I don't know about the future.
Will there be a free roaming map further in the game, or will it be menu navigation for the whole game?

The graphics are really beautiful, it's one of the best 2D I've ever seen in the sixth generation.

So far I'm liking the story and the main character, I'm not having particular difficulties in understanding it even without looking at the translation (thanks to the voice overs mainly). So far so good.
Also good thing I can call up the dialogues with SELECT, the narrator talks too fast and the text scrolls, I wouldn't be able to understand it otherwise... I'm very slow at reading Japanese...

How playable is this for someone who can't read Japanese?

Pretty much like all other JRPGs. If you read carefully the guides available you should be able to progress by tentatives and by learning all menu positions by memory.
You'll miss out on the story and on much of the gameplay depth though.

Permadeath hurts....

I've finished chapter 4, things are starting to get in place, I'm down on recruitment system, free battle system, time flowing and some intermediate battle mechanics (using characters to boost the front row attack, critical charges and such).
I'm still leaving the item system for later if I really need it, I'm having a little trouble in understanding the menus and item stats... :p

So far I'm loving this! The best 1575 Yen spent of last year's November!

it looks fantastic. nobody interested in translating this?

Me! If.. you think you can wait one or two years for me to get fluent in Japanese... right now it would take me too much time and the result would be too half assed.
This game is too good for any JRPG lover to be passed on!

Ok I'm almost done with chapter 5, and I'm almost done with the fantranslation too. After that I'll be on my own. *excitement*

Anyway, thing have been proceeding quite smoothly, I've been slaughtering every monster that dares show its ugly face in MY world map.
Since that sort of countdown timer appeared in the right corner of the map it's been almost always at 99, which is a good thing.

I'm loving the battle system more and more. As thetrin suggested the first thing to look for in a warrior before recruiting is his/her age. If he's in his down side don't bother, if he's too young get him only if you have other capable people that can hold the fort until a few years pass by.

As far as the characters go, I'm still uncertain on Blood. Sometimes it feels like he acts like a kid instead of a ~360 years old guy. Apart from this I like him anyway. The most promising so far are Vivid and Mayura.

thetrin

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, shinkansen. I haven't started a new game on my copy just yet, but I might get around to it tonight. If I do, I'll start posting in here as well.

I beat it years ago. Its not one of the better srpgish games on the ps2

It's not really an SRPG at all. It's very much a JRPG, and even the character placement is pretty basic (enemies can only hit the front row). If you compare it to the likes of Tactics Ogre or SRW, then sure, it pales in comparison. It's certainly not trying to be that, though.

To me, the game's strength in how it handles immortality, and human aging. Character perma die, and even if they live long enough to become legends in your team, they eventually grow old, get a decrease in stats, and eventually die of old age.

That, to me, makes the game far more unique than the battle system itself.

I love this game so muchhhh. It's been a really long time since I played it now. I forgot to pick up the PSP version, now I kinda want to grab it.

Lemme know if you start a new game. It would be cool to all start at the same time if we got more people.

A stone dragon appeared in a forest to the west of Skule.
He has 620HP and looks mean, I tried to confront him but he annihilated me...

Good thing he only eats 3 points per year from the balance thing, I'll let him live for now, I simply don't have the strength to confront him.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, shinkansen. I haven't started a new game on my copy just yet, but I might get around to it tonight. If I do, I'll start posting in here as well.

Feel free to join in!

I got into trouble with that stone dragon from before...

I was waiting to get a little more powerful before attempting to slay it, when suddendly it finished destroying the forest and moved to another town. The fact that I've left him act undisturbed caused a serious malus on my team (a warning appeared that the goddess was displeased and I've lost 20% of the prophecy accuracy or something like that...) so I had to load an earlier save and beat him to the ground. It wasn't that difficult, he only had more HP than usual. I need to be more careful however, I don't want to end up in a deadlock.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I always wanted to play this game, maybe they'll have a copy for sale at the Otakon dealer's room. Love the art style in this, shame it (or Seven) never got tranlsated :(

JUST-IN-TIME!!!

I was eating away at monsters for a while when all of a sudden there has been a complete drought of decent new recruits... All of my current very strong members got old, weak and uncapable to fight leaving me with nothing more than 5 characters to depend on... And as the calamity time got nearer no one else was in sight!!

At one point I decided to go for all or nothing and went for 3 120 days cycles campaign... I survived that, got back in town and there were 6 new awesome recruits wanting to join my ナカノ騎士団!! :D

This game is awesome but also kinda unforgiving, if you don't pay attention it's not unlikely to go into a deadlock with no chance to progress...

Is there any way out of it if it happens? I noticed that there are always at least 3 story characters with decent stats, is it possible to beat the calamity bosses with just them?

EDIT: 19/07 I'll keep editing this post until someone replies or I finish the game, I don't want to do a 5 or 6 post series...

I just finished Chapter 6...

Mayura...... (;.;)

The story keeps getting better and better, I'm managing through this continuous set of fights, I hope there isn't a difficulty spike anywhere soon.

I just had a glimpse of some new possible characters which could be very cool if they joined.

Going thorugh the capital now, fighting monsters among the flames!

EDIT 20/07

Finished Chapter 7. After all that mess they throw me on the world map, a single monster appears and appears to be quite strong.
I didn't notice that Leo became "optional" so when he got killed I didn't really care,
then the battle ends and "War Dead"....

I had to restart... I just couldn't let him end his career like that....

EDIT 21/07

Finished Chapter 8.

I had to fight that stone dragon from before again and he killed a very strong Samurai that I had in my party. Damnit.

And...
Enter Chapter 9.

According to the guide I'm following this appears to be the longest and most difficult part of the game.
I created a separate save on the first slot so I can backtrack if needed.

Now I need a boat....

Time for a bump!

I just finished the dreaded Chapter 9 and I'm starting Chapter 10. 20 years to the big one!

So far this is one of my favourite games on Ps2, and one of my favourite RPGs ever, it's just so unique!!!

Anyway I found the boat at my second try, and after that monsters started to spawn everywhere in the world map. The problem is that now the map is a lot bigger than it was before, by getting a ship things have gotten somewhat easier, but still isn't there any other way to fast travel? It's been hard to keep the Safety Meter at high levels lately considering that it takes almost a year to travel from one point to the other end of the continent.

Regarding the story I'm getting most of it, but not all as expected. For example I couldn't understand a word of what Chopin (or Shupan whatever) said, and now Surugi is giving me headaches with his samurai talk. He's the best character in the game though, so I forgive him! :p

EDIT 26/07

Ehm.. Kingdom Hearts 3D just arrived... I'll put this on hold for a few days as I'm afraid of spoilers so I'll be finishing that one first :p

EDIT 04/08

Ok, Kingdom Hearts is done, back to this one!

Now, where was I?

EDIT 08/08

The last chapters have been a nightmare for me, I had to fight with a terrible party tough monsters all around the world map, good thing that the battles itself aren't really difficult...
Anyway I'm about to fight the final boss, it's time to end this!!!

And Done!!!

What did we have here?

Note: what you are about to read aren't really spoilers, it's just stuff that may or may not happen during your playthrough, if you really want to remain pure don't read what follows.

The game with the best 2D graphics I've ever seen, the best fighting system to ever grace a JRPG (it's almost kinda like playing chess!) and a beautiful story that deals with time in a non time travel sense (a very original concept).
A time intended as a sort of river that lets you notice and experience the changes the world goes through, Πάντα ῥεῖ as Heraclitus used to say, everything flows, everything changes before your immortal eyes.
You really feel the sacrifices you have to make as a captain of a former mercenary squad turned knighthood that has been invested with the duty of saving the world from a catastrophe that would happen 100 years later. I experienced a lot of things during these 100 years: I had to separate many couples because one got too old and not able to fight anymore, I met a lot of excellent and valorous warriors willing to fight by my side, I made an error in my battle tactic which resulted in the death of a mother that had just given birth, I've seen friendship and love bloom on the battlefield, I condemned the inhabitants of a town to certain doom because I hadn't calculated correctly the travelling distance.

All of this accompained by a beautiful OST (here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasULP4u3lg ) a unique artstyle and well written characters. Seriously one of the best games to grace the sixth generation. It's too bad it never got translated but I can kinda unserstand it now after I've played it, the amount of text is HUGE and in certain scenes the tecnical challenge to adapt it could have been very high.

The only slight downsides to the game were the random world map encounters towards the end of the game and the time limits, which are things I'm not too personally fond of...

I've said a few months ago that this could have been my Game of the Year 2003 given the premises, and even if maybe doesn't exactly beat all my favorite games from that year it certainly gets even!

A must play!

95/100

Top Bottom