• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that games are 70 dollars and 80 euro, there should be a week one discount

The fact that games still cost the same that they did ~30 years ago should make people happy. They were selling games for this much in the 1990s.

Maybe a lot of you weren't around for that. Those same games would be over hundred dollars in today's money. So if we just kept with inflation, games would be $100 minimum.

They are actually $30 cheaper than they would be if the prices stayed the same for 30 years. Yet people endlessly bitch about this over and over.

Not to mention that games nowadays also offer immense value, dozens or even hundreds of hours of play, or even games that are continuously updated for years.

People have no idea how good we have it. Sad.
Majority of games were on cartridges back then and consoles had different regions so that extra cost was justified

these days you get no manuals and just a disc which you would be lucky to cost a few cents...then there is digital which should be zero overhead cost....some Nintendo/steam games you just get a code

there is no real justification for the price hike...it’s just companies being greedy

FFS.

If you can't afford the game at that price, don't buy it.

If you have to choose between spending money on a video game and being able to survive the rest of the month with what money you have, you shouldn't be buying the game anyway.

You don't have to consume what's being marketed to you.

Expecting a first week sale and all like a bunch of crack addicts who cant go without a video game, what is this shit.

Exede

You know, this 80 freaking price tag made me to not buy games at launch anymore. I wait 6 months and buy it for like 30 euros. And i'm sure i'm not the only one. I have so enough of being milked as a european. You need to understand that 80 euros with tax is a shit ton more than 70 dollars without tax. I'm tired of it.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
There should be an easy to use digital refund policy in place so every customer is proctected from broken games that all these platform holders keep letting get released.

If you are a sucker enough to pay full price for a game that’s on you.

Last edited:

saintjules

FFS.

If you can't afford the game at that price, don't buy it.

If you have to choose between spending money on a video game and being able to survive the rest of the month with what money you have, you shouldn't be buying the game anyway.

You don't have to consume what's being marketed to you.

Expecting a first week sale and all like a bunch of crack addicts who cant go without a video game, what is this shit.

Agreed. Like for example, Returnal was a game we know was coming for months now. Can people really not put $10-20 a month away for a game? There are ways to make it work lol.

Last edited:

Traianvs

They can do whatever they want, I'll still wait for massive discounts and laugh at developers crying that their broken at day one game didn't sell enough to greenlight a sequel.
Yes I'm talking about days gone

Shivvy24

This usually happens at alot of stores like target and jbhifi in australia. Comes out at a launch special price for a few days then gets bumped to it's normal pricing.

DragonNCM

This generation I will wait till good discount to get games.Paying 60euro for new game is OK price but anything after that is not worth , specialy when you dont have real "NEW" generation games.

TheMan

Well luckily most games seem to get significant discounts just a few weeks after release. With that and gamepass, honestly it's not looking too bad. Just gotta pay more for day one.

Majority of games were on cartridges back then and consoles had different regions so that extra cost was justified

these days you get no manuals and just a disc which you would be lucky to cost a few cents...then there is digital which should be zero overhead cost....some Nintendo/steam games you just get a code

there is no real justification for the price hike...it’s just companies being greedy
But the fact still remains, if you wanted to play back then, those were the prices. So his point is valid. You criticize digital prices, and I agree with you there, they should definitely be cheaper.

But to justify the prices of 30 years ago with "they included a booklet" that's just ludicrous. It was the price, justified to be as high or not, doesn't change the fact buying videogames was more expensive 30 years ago, and if I may add, it's not like games cost 40-100+ million to produce back then.

One of the best-sellers of the late 80s, Dragon Quest in Japan, would sell 3 millon copies or more each sequel. You can be sure they broke the bank multiple times with that one, considering the small production budget they had.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Discounts are sin
e3dhLUX.jpg

Games are making more money than ever before while in general people are making less overall due to covid restrictions, now more than ever, VALUE is gonna be a bigger consideration than it has in quite a while. It's why Gamepass is doing so well, it offers a lot of VALUE even if it doesn't EXACTLY appeal to the hardcore audience. It'd have to be a BIG game in an established franchise that I KNOW is gonna be great and offer a lot of replay value before I'd pay $70. Most games just aren't worth the asking price and to try and standardize $70 on a new release is gonna come back to bite Sony in the ass later on down the road.

Sleepwalker

$60 for ps plus members digitally would be ok. Would also entice players to buy digital and those who dont play online to sign up for plus.

Just because the price is $70 doesn't mean you need to pay $70 . Last gen I paid $60 and preordered all the games I wanted at that price since I thought it was fair. I won't pay $70 just because they want me to.

This gen I am not buying anything at launch and I am not pre ordering anything. I will wait for the price to drop to $45 before I touch it ( New or used) . So instead of Sony making an extra $10 on me they will actually loose $15 . ( or more if I go used). If I need to wait 6 months after launch to play the game then so be it.

down 2 orth

Companies giving away games has become the norm. If you're paying $70 for a game, you're either making a donation or have insurmountable FOMO.

Zimmy68

It's very simple, if you don't want to pay $70 for games, don't buy games for $70. Hold out for a sale.
Otherwise, you are feeding into their experiment to try to make $70 a thing.
I had a passing interest in Demon Souls. It has never been on sale and I have never bought it.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to pay $70 to play new games at launch, but I refuse to pay $70 for an unfinished mess.

I started waiting one year to play games after release outside a couple exceptions (Nintendo and Gamepass). It's been awesome. I get the fully patched game including the DLC for a fraction of the original price. The community has usually fixed things the developers missed and have implemented things like HUD toggles and .ini tweaks for better performance and stability.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Video games now make record profit. The price hike was to make even more money.

The fact that games still cost the same that they did ~30 years ago should make people happy. They were selling games for this much in the 1990s.

Maybe a lot of you weren't around for that. Those same games would be over hundred dollars in today's money. So if we just kept with inflation, games would be $100 minimum.

They are actually $30 cheaper than they would be if the prices stayed the same for 30 years. Yet people endlessly bitch about this over and over.

Not to mention that games nowadays also offer immense value, dozens or even hundreds of hours of play, or even games that are continuously updated for years.

People have no idea how good we have it. Sad.

Yes inflation. People also make less money in general than they did in the 90s.

Keep in mind those were select SNES and N64 games, which had no where near the sales numbers modern titles have.

Last edited:
Agreed. Like for example, Returnal was a game we know was coming for months now. Can people really not put $10-20 a month away for a game? There are ways to make it work lol.
There are way too many ways to make it work that this backlash is silly.

I don't even live in a country that operates in dollars or euros, and in fact, the proce change affects me as games would essentially be 200++ bucks per game where I live - and yet, I'm not bothered.

Why?

Because I have a stable job, and I'm not blasting my money away every month on a new game that I'm buying out of FOMO.

If I really wanted the game, I'd buy it and would have money tucked away safely for it.

All this "wah wah wah, so expensive" is either a clear indication that some of you are horrible with money management, gotten way too obsessed with buying games, or this is just another component of "concerned trolling."

If an extra 10 dollars (20 euros) + taxes is expensive, I'd advise anyone to just invest into a pc and get games off Steam where discounts are steep and plenty.

saintjules

There are way too many ways to make it work that this backlash is silly.

I don't even live in a country that operates in dollars or euros, and in fact, the proce change affects me as games would essentially be 200++ bucks per game where I live - and yet, I'm not bothered.

Why?

Because I have a stable job, and I'm not blasting my money away every month on a new game that I'm buying out of FOMO.

If I really wanted the game, I'd buy it and would have money tucked away safely for it.

All this "wah wah wah, so expensive" is either a clear indication that some of you are horrible with money management, gotten way too obsessed with buying games, or this is just another component of "concerned trolling."

If an extra 10 dollars (20 euros) + taxes is expensive, I'd advise anyone to just invest into a pc and get games off Steam where discounts are steep and plenty.

Totally with you. When I was in High School my Dad would give me and my Brother a weekly allowance. We would take a chunk of it and put it away each week for a new game that was coming. I wasn't working at 14 or so (1997), so we had to make it work that way. Back then we were reading game magazines to keep up to date on new games because we didn't have a Computer to see forthcoming releases.

When the new-gen Consoles were coming there was news of it since 2019. So I just took the same method and put away the cash every pay period. Was able to end up buying both Consoles for the majority of the saving.

There's a Pandemic, not many are working. I get it. Just the complaining is just really crazy - more so than ever. And we haven't really started this generation yet. I don't think I even saw this much complaining even when games became $49.99/$59.99USD (+tax here in NY came to $54/$65 and change respectively). This isn't including some of the crazy N64/SNES prices - but even then I haven't heard much backlash back then. I will say this though on the same token, the People living in Canada, Australia, etc. I do feel for those People because the Australian prices for example are comparable to $96USD. So I totally understand the complaint there.

There's Youtube, there's reviews, there's deep sales. You can wait for any and all those to have the best advantage on getting the game when you want it. If you can't get it day 1 or choose not to.

Last edited:
If you're really concern about prices on release then... don't buy on release. After few months, the price decrease significantly. Nobody forces you to buy a game at a price you find too high.
Also if 10 euros difference is a concern, you can easily find a physical copy for minus 10-15 euros, on the second hand market within a week or 2 of release.
Recently bought P5 strikers day one edition for €35. Prices drop fast. But not fast enough for sufferers of FOMO I guess?

FrankWza

$60 for ps plus members digitally would be ok. Would also entice players to buy digital and those who dont play online to sign up for plus.
Probably can’t do this because you need retailers to help move consoles and accessories. This would be undercutting them.

sainraja

Neither Microsoft nor Nintendo are doing $70 games. Sony stand alone in this.

And with that pricing, I don’t see them creating an option as enticing as Gamepass.

Sony choosing to stick out in this way makes them deserving negative comparisons.
It's not that Microsoft isn't doing it (they are just pushing Game Pass). Microsoft could, like in the past, price their first party games $10 dollars less than the MSRP (which now is $70), like they did during the X360 era but it didn't last that long as far as I remember, I think Gears 2 was still $59.99 at launch but I can't be sure. When they do announce or start releasing a true next gen game and price it at $59.99 then you might have a point. Regardless, the price increase isn't a Sony thing. It's an industry thing.

Third party games that are $59.99 on Xbox are the same price on PS5. Third party games that are $69.99 on PS5 are also $69.99 on Xbox. If it was Sony enforcing it for their platform, all PS5 games (first party or not) would be $70. Yes, you can fault Sony for pricing their first party the same way but I don't think it's a Sony thing, it's just where the industry is headed. Similar to when it moved from $49.99 to $59.99. That wasn't Sony either.

I mean, I wish new/launch game prices were still $49.99 but they are not.

EDIT

I had to do a little research to see and confirm if Microsoft priced their games under MSRP during X360 era. I couldn't find anything definitively but when Gears 2 launched, they weren't doing that anymore, because Gears 2 launched at $59.99. Maybe it was just in-house first party that they priced under MSRP? Gears 2 at the time was by EPIC and exclusive via contract (just guessing about the exclusivity thing.)

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
It's not that Microsoft isn't doing it (they are just pushing Game Pass). Microsoft could, like in the past, price their first party games $10 dollars less than the MSRP (which now is $70), like they did during the X360 era but it didn't last that long as far as I remember, I think Gears 2 was still $59.99 at launch but I can't be sure. When they do announce or start releasing a true next gen game and price it at $59.99 then you might have a point. Regardless, the price increase isn't a Sony thing. It's an industry thing.

Third party games that are $59.99 on Xbox are the same price on PS5. Third party games that are $69.99 on PS5 are also $69.99 on Xbox. If it was Sony enforcing it for their platform, all PS5 games (first party or not) would be $70. Yes, you can fault Sony for pricing their first party the same way but I don't think it's a Sony thing, it's just where the industry is headed. Similar to when it moved from $49.99 to $59.99. That wasn't Sony either.

I mean, I wish new/launch game prices were still $49.99 but they are not.

EDIT

I had to do a little research to see and confirm if Microsoft priced their games under MSRP during X360 era. I couldn't find anything definitively but when Gears 2 launched, they weren't doing that anymore, because Gears 2 launched at $59.99. Maybe it was just in-house first party that they priced under MSRP? Gears 2 at the time was by EPIC and exclusive via contract (just guessing about the exclusivity thing.)

Was talking about first party games.

MS and Nintendo still do $60

Sony does an extra $10 for a number of them (even some cross gen games). No reason for this.

I mean the reason why games can cost €$70 and Sony gets away with it is because a sizable part of gamers are generally dumbasses who absolutely NEED TO BUY GAMES NOW MUST CONSUME. Oh they'll complain.
But they'll buy.

And those of us who don't? We just wait 2 months.

Literally everyone wins.

I mean the reason why games can cost €$70 and Sony gets away with it is because a sizable part of gamers are generally dumbasses who absolutely NEED TO BUY GAMES NOW MUST CONSUME. Oh they'll complain.
Like me, I'm a dumbass. I don't want to wait 2 months. Instead I will gladly pay $10 more to have a game now, on release date, to have a brand new state of the art videogame in 2021.

At my job, I earn $10 in less than 30 minutes. That means before I have had my morning coffee that day and have even had my first meeting, I have already earned the money to purchase the game at the inflated price. If it makes me a dumbass to then sacrifice 25 minutes of work to have a new game on release date, then I'm a total drooling moron.

Last edited:

sainraja

Was talking about first party games.

MS and Nintendo still do $60

Sony does an extra $10 for a number of them (even some cross gen games). No reason for this.
I think we have yet to see how Microsoft will price their first party games. Let's see how much Hellblade 2 will retail for. Third party and Sony are pricing their games at $69.99 for next gen consoles (transitional games are not an indicator of what future games will be priced at, even Sony's own e.g. Sackboy Adventure @ $59.99).

Last edited:

NeilH1982

Banned
Use the international markets to your advantage. I'm European but all my consoles have US-based accounts. 80 euro games now cost me 70 dollars. depending on the current exchange rate that brings those games down to 50-55 Euros. Day one gaming for last generations prices.

$70 is historically cheap for games if you account for inflation and also considering the production costs of modern games. Honestly this was a long time coming and the only reason it looks bad is because GamePass might be the greatest deal ever in gaming.

Sony,

Keep feeding me great "FREE" Play at home and PS+ games that I have not played (like you have done the last couple months).. Makes not buying anything new @ $70 all the easier. When I am done with all the backlog I can pick up all these new games at a discount.

Corgi1985

Banned
They could always release full priced games that are complete and not filled with bullshit that's a route AAA hasn't explored yet.

GreatnessRD

Fuck these prices and fuck these Publishers. Just wait till the game is $40 or $20 with the "definitive edition" 2 weeks after release, lol

bosnianpie

I consider buying Demon Souls on PS5 and I'm honestly hesitant when I see that price $83 price tag, and that's without shipping in Sweden. The price might be justified with everything that goes into development these days but that's f-king expensive. I think there will be very few day one purchases this generation.

$70 is historically cheap for games if you account for inflation and also considering the production costs of modern games. Honestly this was a long time coming and the only reason it looks bad is because GamePass might be the greatest deal ever in gaming.
I'm surprised people care so much about 10 bucks, I'll just skip a meal from Burger King no big deal.
This. It's just entitlement. People feel like they shouldn't have to pay more despite games being exponentially more expensive to make then they were in 2005 when the price jumped from $50-60 and despite inflation and ignoring the fact that even during SNES times sometimes games were like $70.

Just skip a fucking Starbucks or McDonalds meal. I don't like it either but I'm not gonna complain about it.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Hmm I don’t think a discount is a bad idea, maybe like if you pre-order the game you can get $10 off or something.

Top Bottom