• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

Jeels

Those are really bad 3DS software sales if the highest selling game didn't even break 100k. Worse than Japan. :O

Spiegel

lunchwithyuzo said:
What were the best selling DS and PSP launch month games doing? I'm kinda curious?

PSP

>120k
NFS: Rivals
Twisted Metal
>100k
Untold Legends
>80k
Metal Gear Ac!d
Wipeout Pure
>60k
Tony Hawk
Lumines
Ridge Racer

Can't find the DS numbers

lawblob said:
It's about quality, not quantity, says the literally hundreds of Steel Diver purchasers.
Ouch. I'm actually having a ton of fun with Steel Diver too...

I was also, and still am, a big fan of Yoshi's Touch & Go though so...

Gamer98

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Can't believe we have all the hardware numbers except for PS3... :/

I don't get it 360 does horrible in Japan, and we still get those numbers. I don't understand why Sony is so embarrassed at this point.

knitoe

Gamer98 said:
I don't get it 360 does horrible in Japan, and we still get those numbers. I don't understand why Sony is so embarrassed at this point.
I don't remember the last time Sony provided their actual numbers. It's always been leaked by another source. Now those leaks sources can't provide the numbers anymore, not surprising we won't get them anymore.

Pride

Has Sony officially dropped price of their $399 Move Console Bundle to $349? I've seen it advertised at Fry's, Walmart, and Fred Meyer for $349 (at Fry's it was $349 + $50 Gift Card) and Best Buy had it for $399 with a $75 Gift Card.

Kusagari

The 3DS software sales tell the story that we saw a lot on NeoGAF. Gamers bought the system but didn't feel compelled to buy any games and just got Pokemon.

chubigans said:
You feelin' a PS3 price cut this E3, charlequin?

I'm not charlequin, but I doubt there'll be a price cut at E3. I'm guessing they will try to go for U$100/£50/€100/¥10,000 price cut at Gamescom or TGS instead.

Pride said:
Has Sony officially dropped price of their $399 Move Console Bundle to $349? I've seen it advertised at Fry's, Walmart, and Fred Meyer for $349 (at Fry's it was $349 + $50 Gift Card) and Best Buy had it for $399 with a $75 Gift Card.

Only PSP had an official price drop this year.

Gamer98

Banned
knitoe said:
I don't remember the last time Sony provided their actual numbers. It's always been leaked by another source. Now those leaks sources can't provide the numbers anymore, not surprising we won't get them anymore.

It all started when Kinect started outselling move 5 to 1.

Spiegel said:
PSP

>120k
Twisted Metal
>100k
Untold Legends
>80k
Metal Gear Ac!d
Wipeout Pure
>60k
Tony Hawk
Lumines
Ridge Racer

Holy hell, 3DS software sales are horrifying in comparison to that! Granted that PSP games had some inherent competitive advantages for sales (no backwards compatibility, no built-in games) but still, pretty bad looking for 3DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Spiegel said:
PSP

>120k
Twisted Metal
>100k
Untold Legends
>80k
Metal Gear Ac!d
Wipeout Pure
>60k
Tony Hawk
Lumines
Ridge Racer

Mario>200k, everything else<50k

Kusagari

lunchwithyuzo said:
Holy hell, 3DS software sales are horrifying in comparison to that! Granted that PSP games had some inherent competitive advantages for sales (no backwards compatibility, no built-in games) but still, pretty bad looking for 3DS.

When you launch your system head-to-head against the second biggest franchise in gaming history that's also playable on your new system... I don't know what Nintendo really expected.

Huff

Banned
Kusagari said:
When you launch your system head-to-head against the second biggest franchise in gaming history that's also playable on your new system... I don't know what Nintendo really expected.

A lot more sales than what they got ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Chris1964 said:
Mario>200k, everything else<50k
How many days were included though ? Not to spin those 3ds software sales, but comparin them to a system which launched in the holidays and probably had way more selling days doesnt seem that useful.

cw_sasuke said:
How many days were included though ? Not to spin those 3ds software sales, but comparin them to a system which launched in the holidays and probably had way more selling days doesnt seem that useful.

Well, Spiegel said he didn't know DS launch software sales and Chris1964 replied.

November NPD for DS had basically an extra week compared to the March NPD for 3DS.

Cygnus X-1

At first, I really thought that Zelda OOT would not be a game able to drive 3DS's sales. But since it will be the first major game, I suspect that everyone will buy it right away.

Takao

Banned
Holy fuck at the channel stuffing Crapcom did on Super Street Fighter IV 3D. The game's likely around 250k worldwide with 750k unaccounted for.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Takao said:
Holy fuck at the channel stuffing Crapcom did on Super Street Fighter IV 3D.
With that big 3DS initial shipment it was inevitable.

Capcom found the chance to do what they know to do well. Channel stuffing.

Cygnus X-1

At least now Nintendo will start moving their ass and develop some serious game for 3DS. No remakes and no ports please. Innovative games that really can take advantage of 3D effect.

Huff

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
At first, I really thought that Zelda OOT would not be a game able to drive 3DS's sales. But since it will be the first major game, I suspect that everyone will buy it right away.

Still doubtful at this. Good sales, but not of the Mario type. Which is what Nintendo needs at this point.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BroHuffman said:
Still doubtful at this. Good sales, but not of the Mario type. Which is what Nintendo needs at this point.
You can't expect a Zelda game to have Mario sales. It will be 3DS first big seller.

Takao said:
Holy fuck at the channel stuffing Crapcom did on Super Street Fighter IV 3D. The game's likely around 250k worldwide with 750k unaccounted for.
It's Capcom. They always do a big upfront shipment, whether it eventually sells out (RE5, SF4, MH3) or not (LP2, BC, DV). I think they'll eventually move all of that 1m SSF4 3DS shipment as the system itself sells though, it really is the go-to launch title outside Japan.

Zzoram

3DS didn't really have any wide appeal launch games. Street Fighter is obviously good but fighting games are pretty niche. If they had Mario Kart 3DS ready it would've sold at a 1:1 ratio with hardware.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Zzoram said:
3DS didn't really have any wide appeal launch games. Street Fighter is obviously good but fighting games are pretty niche. If they had Mario Kart 3DS ready it would've sold at a 1:1 ratio with hardware.
Why go so far? Zelda 99% is completed and they chose to delay it.

Chris1964 said:
Miscalculation. They relied on 3rd parties for launch content and figured their built-in games would provide enough casual/viral word of mouth. Hopefully this means they're better prepared with Super Wii.

Zzoram said:

You really think everyone would and loves Mario Kart that much?! Though considering the launch list...other games would suffer considering it doesnt seem like many people even bought more than 1 game. So it would be, port of a console franchise or sequel to a game I already have.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dedication Through Light said:
You really think everyone would and loves Mario Kart that much?!
You must realize Mario Kart is huge franchise nowdays. You can't see its sales at GC and GBA and expect something similar.

Glass Joe

Chris1964 said:

I think that was actually a strategy to let some 3rd parties sell some games and get a positive impression for developing on it. However, since they didn't have a "must own" to tie in with the launch, it may have backfired a bit. 1.6 million shipped, 400,000 sold is only 25% sell-thru, so there was and is a lot of 3DSs left on shelves.

Or maybe they were just not prepared to launch Zelda. They seemed rushed to get it out for fiscal reasons. I mean the OS isn't even complete with everything it promises. That's very un-Nintendo.

Side note: How come the Nintendogs numbers aren't combined? I wonder what that total would be, if it would beat SF4 or even Pilotwings.

I think Nintendo needs to have different prices for different games, Sony already seems to have gotten the clue with the GH lineup for U$20 and Favorites lineup for U$10, some games launching for U$20 or U$30 and minis and pssuite. I think Pillotwings Resort and Steel Diver should've launched for 20 bucks, nintendogs and cats maybe 30 if people feel it as a higher budget game. The mobile market has changed, Nintendo has to adjust.

AranhaHunter said:
I think Nintendo needs to have different prices for different games, Sony already seems to have gotten the clue with the GH lineup for U$20 and Favorites lineup for U$10, some games launching for U$20 or U$30 and minis and pssuite. I think Pillotwings Resort and Steel Diver should've launched for 20 bucks, nintendogs and cats maybe 30 if people feel it as a higher budget game. The mobile market has changed, Nintendo has to adjust.
Disagreed somewhat, I think software pricepoints were less of an issue than the hardware price. I would've liked to see more variation there though too, Steel Diver really should've been $30-35 at most, but $40 for Nintencats and Pilotwings seems fair enough. Nintendo doesn't even charge $20 for DS games that aren't extremely low production (like Brain-Age or Picross), there's no way Steel Diver or Pilotwings ever would've been that price at launch, and no way Nintendogs would've launched lower than their top DS games ($35).

NomarTyme

Dedication Through Light said:
You really think everyone would and loves Mario Kart that much?! Though considering the launch list...other games would suffer considering it doesnt seem like many people even bought more than 1 game. So it would be, port of a console franchise or sequel to a game I already have.
Its huge. I hope they release a bundle for it! $280

How long did it take the original DS to drop from $149 to $129? I kind of wonder if we might see a comparable 3DS drop (ie: $199) in a comparable timeframe?

donny2112

lunchwithyuzo said:
How long did it take the original DS to drop from $149 to $129?

~10 months. It dropped just before Nintendogs came out. They'll probably ride out $249 through December and then drop to $199 early next year, unless things just get ridiculously horrible, like they did with DS. :lol

onipex

lunchwithyuzo said:

DS software launch sales were not as good as the PSP launch sales either.

Anita Frazier said:
"The best-selling 3DS game is Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition from Capcom. Despite selling fewer hardware units in its debut month as compared to the DS, more units of 3DS software sold through retail this month than did DS software in November 2004."

Unless I'm reading that wrong the 3DS sold more software during its launch than the DS did.

donny2112 said:
~10 months. It dropped just before Nintendogs came out. They'll probably ride out $249 through December and then drop to $199 early next year, unless things just get ridiculously horrible, like they did with DS. :lol
So Jan 2011? Sounds about right, and just in time to really face off against the ($249-399) NGP.

onipex said:
DS software launch sales were not as good as the PSP launch sales either.

Unless I'm reading that wrong the 3DS sold more software during its launch than the DS did.
DS also had the worst software launch lineup in history I'd say. Plus some of the 3DS software disadvantages going for it, like bundled software (Hunters demo, Pictochat!) and backwards compatibility.

Top Bottom