• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kandinsky said:
Wait is 250k for 3DS good? i saw some people celebrating that awful number in another thread wth.
Last year the DS was at 342k.

So it's about a 73% retention rate.

Though, given how Nintendo's platforms sell, the next two months will be the really important ones for determining relative success to last year.

BurntPork

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Wait is 250k for 3DS good? i saw some people celebrating that awful number in another thread wth.
Considering the fact that it no system sellers came out last month and the fact that it was a near 20% increase in weekly sales over September, it's impressive. But everything's relative. If you call that "awful" though, what do you need for good? 500k?

apana

Anyone know how many Skyward Sword bundles Nintendo has for the first week? I think the golden wiimote should really help SS sales for November NPD and SS sales should add some momentum for the Wii.

Massa

bigtroyjon said:
There isn't a whole lot of difference between 180K and 300K, both numbers suck especially when there are no legs to speak of on the 300K games.

There are going to be 5+ 3rd party games to sell over a million this year and the only first party game to hit that number will be U3. There is no evidence that PS3 owners rally around exclusive software and would abandon a developer that went multi-platform.

There's a big difference between 180k and 300k. For instance, back in 2008 Resistance 2 sold a little better than LBP; this year, Resistance 3 sold about half of LBP2. Its sales were disappointing considering what we realistically expect from a Sony first party game, everyone and their mother already knew it wasn't going to match the 1m+ titles in the US.

OldJadedGamer said:

About 320k with the bundles then, thanks for the link.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you think about it, at this point in time who exactly are buying these machines? People just getting into gaming, and people buying replacements/upgrades - both things that would (I'd imagine) be affected very significantly by the generation up-to-now.

What I'm getting at is 360 *should* by all rights be outselling PS3 by some margin as its sitting on a very significant install-base lead at this point, that advantage giving them better "word of mouth" (in the broad sense that your peer-group is more likely going to have more 360 owners), and a bigger pool of upgraders to draw from.

Essentially, if the 360 wasn't doing better than PS3 by a factor roughly equivalent to their install-base advantage, something would be badly wrong.

Looking at Sony's offering, to be truthful I can't see a real reason why their performance should be improving more than it is. Software-wise they put out good exclusives, BUT they are the same exclusives they've been offering all this gen. A highly rated Uncharted is still only going to appeal to the people who liked the sound of its previous entries...

Bottom line for me is that really nothing much has changed on the software landscape since the start of this gen; and as a result why would anyone expect the status quo to change.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BurntPork said:
Considering the fact that it no system sellers came out last month and the fact that it was a near 20% increase in weekly sales over September, it's impressive. But everything's relative. If you call that "awful" though, what do you need for good? 500k?
While you're not asking me, my personal bars have been:

50% - Acceptable, but far from great.
75% - Good, considering it is the first year.
100% - Exceptional, given the library difference, price difference, and that it is the first year.

All comparisons are to last year's DS sales instead of first year DS sales.

AniHawk

apana said:
Anyone know how many Skyward Sword bundles Nintendo has for the first week? I think the golden wiimote should really help SS sales for November NPD and SS sales should add some momentum for the Wii.

i think the wii's holiday sales are going to help skyward sword more than skyward sword will help wii's holiday sales.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
apana said:

I know that I'll be getting a bundle. I hope that Skyward Sword will sell well as the install base for the Wii is so large at this point. I would guess just a few million though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
Last year the DS was at 342k.

So it's about a 73% retention rate.

Though, given how Nintendo's platforms sell, the next two months will be the really important ones for determining relative success to last year.

250+180>342. :)

BurntPork

Banned
Nirolak said:
While you're not asking me, my personal bars have been:

50% - Acceptable, but far from great.
75% - Good, considering it is the first year.
100% - Exceptional, given the library difference, price difference, and that it is the first year.

All comparisons are to last year's DS sales instead of first year DS sales.
That seems reasonable. I think it's safe to say that it'll stay well about 50%, though I'm not sure if I can see it hitting 100%. I think the best we'll see is about 80%. The market confusion is still an issue (and if it weren't, I think 3DS would have hit 300k last month).

BurntPork said:
If you are Nintendo and you are planning on selling 16m 3DS this FY, then 500K would probably be what it takes to consider your sales good.

LOCK

Great month for everybody.

The 3DS is starting to pick up steam. Once Mario launches it should become more noticeable.

My guess would be,

600k - Nov.
1200k - Dec.

But that could be low.

BurntPork

Banned
bigtroyjon said:
If you are Nintendo and you are planning on selling 16m 3DS this FY, then 500K would probably be what it takes to consider your sales good.
If Nintendo expected the weekly average for October to magically have a 150% weekly sales increase without any software, someone needs to be fired. They're hoping for November and December to bring the big numbers.

Gadfly said:
I have not seen this and I don't think the average selling price of 360 support this theory.

If you follow cheapassgamer and Amazon there's almost always some sort of credit or gift card deal going on on one of the various 360 SKU's. PS3 as well for that matter. I imagine it will be pretty nonstop until Christmas.

Looks like this coming week it's target: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307777
Free $50 giftcard w/pur of either the
$300 320 GB Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle or
$300 4 GB X360 Kinect bundle
Which means an Amazon match.

It's almost always the case at Amazon since they practically match everything. I can also tell Amazon just got through with one on the 4GB w/Kinect SKU because it's #3 on videogame bestsellers meaning it just had a credit deal to push it that high. A few days ago they had $100 credit on the 4GB w/Kinect.

I honestly cant tell if Rage sales are good or bad.

I guess a lot depends on their expectations. I have a funny feeling they were higher.

Kandinsky

BurntPork said:
Well yeah awful is not the right word, but I was expecting alot more 350k'ish kinda numbers but you're right hard to do so w'o a worthwhile title.

Kandinsky said:
Well yeah awful is not the right word, but I was expecting alot more 350k'ish kinda numbers but you're right hard to do so w'o a worthwhile title.

It has the same problem it's have had since the release. There's just no AAA games except maybe SF4 and Zelda. It actually out performed what I thought it would, especially without any new titles coming out this month. But Like Iwata said, wait a bit and I bet the sales pick up a lot with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Speaking of Mario Kart, could anyone post the sales for the Wii and DS games in NA?

Erethian

StickSoldier said:
It has the same problem it's have had since the release. There's just no AAA games except maybe SF4 and Zelda. It actually out performed what I thought it would, especially without any new titles coming out this month. But Like Iwata said, wait a bit and I bet the sales pick up a lot with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Speaking of Mario Kart, could anyone post the sales for the Wii and DS games in NA?

Mario Kart Wii was at 10.64 million as of August NPD.

Sean

Banned
specialguy said:
I honestly cant tell if Rage sales are good or bad.

I guess a lot depends on their expectations. I have a funny feeling they were higher.

While not a complete bomb, 550k combined for Rage is definitely not great considering how long it took to develop (5+ years?) and that its a full month of sales.

duk

Banned
This should put a bit over 11m units lead for 360 > PS3, pulling away each year.

360 may hit 31m by end of Dec. Not bad.

Boney

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
Don't think it'll take too long for the 3DS to start outselling everything come January.
I don't think it'll explode a lá dslite, but it'll certainly pick up in sales.

donny2112

Subitai said:
If Sony doesn't pick things up for Nov/Dec, they might be sill under 20 mil while Xbox is crashing through 30 mil.

Going by those numbers, 360 is likely to pass 30m in November, and PS3 won't be to 20m by then.

Sean said:
While not a complete bomb, 550k combined for Rage is definitely not great considering how long it took to develop (5+ years?) and that its a full month of sales.

Does this number count STEAM sales?

Also, keep in mind that although it was in development for a long time the team working on it was relatively small. I do think it under performed, but fortunately not disastrously so.

Worldwide, it should ultimately reach a couple of million. Good enough for me!

Globox_82

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Huh? Why do you say that?

Why is that unfortunate?

Maybe because he is PS3 fan?

On neutral side, I think MS deserves it. They really really worked hard to get where they are. I say this as only PS3 owner. PS3 marketing team sucks big time.

Globox_82 said:

On neutral side, I think MS deserves it. They really really worked hard to get where they are. I say this as only PS3 owner. PS3 marketing team sucks big time.

Regardless of if you are a fan or not, it won't change anything so not sure why it would be unfortunate. The same first party games will be released and all the third party games will still come out.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Because it should be doing way better.

Or are you saying who cares?

If you are judging them by their past successes and previous statements before the gen started... then yes. It should be doing better.

OldJadedGamer said:
Regardless of if you are a fan or not, it won't change anything so not sure why it would be unfortunate. The same first party games will be released and all the third party games will still come out.
Well when you put it that way........

Aspiring

SimpleDesign said:
If Microsoft release a new system next year they're out of their minds.

That's why I don't think they will. There is no need. Its old hardware and very profitable. Why get rid of it when it's making tons of cash. I think the grist reports of 2014-15 will be correct it would be stupid otherwise. The 3DS shows this. There was no need for an upgrade. It was selling gangbusters an try did and look at how the 3DS started.

Globox_82

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

If you are judging them by their past successes and previous statements before the gen started... then yes. It should be doing better.
stewie-bubble-pipe-o.gif

INDEED

LosDaddie

Banned
Globox_82 said:

Fan or not, there are still great great games to play. So I don't know why the situation is unfortunate.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Because it should be doing way better.

Or are you saying who cares?

But why should the ps3 be doing better?

knitoe

I think the X360 will do insane numbers this month and December. Kinect will be a major reason. Casual gamers don't normally jump in right away, but this year, they will follow after all the excitement last year.

LosDaddie

Banned
Aspiring said:
That's why I don't think they will. There is no need. Its old hardware and very profitable. Why get rid of it when it's making tons of cash. I think the grist reports of 2014-15 will be correct it would be stupid otherwise. The 3DS shows this. There was no need for an upgrade. It was selling gangbusters an try did and look at how the 3DS started.

That, and Halo4 is coming out next year.

I believe MS will cut x360's and Kinect's price next year, have another year of gangbuster sales, and launch new hardware in 2013

Orayn

Eff yeah, Dark Souls! I wonder what its actual numbers were?
SimpleDesign said:
From Software brought f'n Ninja Blade to the PC so I don't see what's holding them back.
That was funded and co-published by Microsoft Game Studio.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I REGAINED faith in gaming seeing Dark Souls charting just outside the top 5. Wish it had outsold that Just Dance 3 garbage but still, very pleased it's where it's at.

Poimandres said:
Does this number count STEAM sales?

Also, keep in mind that although it was in development for a long time the team working on it was relatively small. I do think it under performed, but fortunately not disastrously so.

Worldwide, it should ultimately reach a couple of million. Good enough for me!

It doesn't include Steam.. but Steam isn't like 250k or something.. I mean most players online were like 25k when that game launched.

Likewise.. its performance and legs are gone.. Currently 700-800 are online playing RAGE on Steam. Dead Island has like 2x-3x more and that came out a month prior. (This also factors in RAGE having a sale just yesterday for 2 days)

Also their team size grew exponentially after the EA/Bethesda takeovers.. They went from a group of 20-30 for the initial 2 years to a team of 100+ for the remaining years. (Probably 1 year of in between that 30 and 100 number)

Top Bottom