• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2018 results

Hardware
PS4: 1.34
Switch: 1
Xbox One: 0.83
3DS:0.26

YoY:
PS4: +62%
Switch: -12%
Xbox One: +64%
3DS: -45%

PS4: 340k
NSW: 260K
XB1: 215k

Totals Jan-Oct 2018
PS4: 3048K (+14% YoY)
NSW: 2505K (-4% YoY)
XB1: 2083K (+35% YoY)

RANKINGS
Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel, ranked on dollar sales
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  4. NBA 2K19
  5. Super Mario Party*
  6. Soul Calibur VI
  7. FIFA 19^
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. Madden NFL 19^
  10. WWE 2K19
  11. Forza Horizon 4
  12. Lego DC Super Villains
  13. My Hero One's Justice
  14. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
  15. Mario Kart 8*
  16. Grand Theft Auto V
  17. Super Mario Odyssey*
  18. Diablo III*
  19. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  20. NHL 19
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included

All Platforms YTD
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  7. Monster Hunter: World
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Call of Duty: WWII^

PS4
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. Soul Calibur VI
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. FIFA 19
  8. WWE 2K19
  9. Madden NFL 19
  10. My Hero One's Justice

Xbox One
  4. Forza Horizon 4
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Madden NFL 19
  7. FIFA 19
  8. WWE 2K19
  9. Soul Calibur VI
  10. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
Switch
  1. Super Mario Party
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Diablo III
  6. Starlink: Battle For Atlas
  7. Dark Souls Remastered
  8. The World Ends with You: Final Remix
  9. Lego DC Super Villains

Last edited:

Leonidas

BLOPS is a monster.

Solid YOY totals in the US for PS4 despite being down YOY worldwide. XB1 Jan-Oct YOY increase is impressive(~35% increase).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
BLOPS is a monster.

Solid YOY totals in the US for PS4 despite being down YOY worldwide. XB1 Jan-Oct YOY increase is impressive(~35% increase).

Lets see what the numbers are like from November onward; One X announcement suppressed S sales prior to release, so we need to see what Xbox numbers are like after both SKU's have been on the market after a year to see a true like-for-like picture of growth.

That Playstation is maintaining its lead suggests to me that nothing has really changed drastically.

iconmaster

Banned
Red Dead is already #2 for the year after less than a month.

Super Mario Party makes the top ten for the second month in a row. Oddly, it moved up, from #9.

Last edited:
Lets see what the numbers are like from November onward; One X announcement suppressed S sales prior to release, so we need to see what Xbox numbers are like after both SKU's have been on the market after a year to see a true like-for-like picture of growth.

That Playstation is maintaining its lead suggests to me that nothing has really changed drastically.

Xbox One sold 1.35 million last November
Xbox One needs to sell 3.7 million in November and December to stay up 35% YoY for the full year.
Xbox One needs to sell 2.2 million in November and December to be flat YoY

Xbox One will sell more than 2.2 million in November and December, but less than 3.7 million. I'm fairly certain about that

Last edited:
Growth pretty much all around, good for the industry. Wonder how long before Nintendo goes 100% Switch development.

Once again multiplat games are what dominates overall sales. Switch is able to curb some of that as a concern by offering portability as selling point.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Xbox One sold 1.35 million last November
Xbox One needs to sell 3.7 million in November and December to stay up 35% YoY for the full year.
Xbox One needs to sell 2.2 million in November and December to be flat YoY

Xbox One will sell more than 2.2 million in November and December, but less than 3.7 million. I'm fairly certain about that

Indeed. Strictly speaking we really need to push the time-line out even further to see what effect all the Xbox service expansions have had on hardware sales, given that Play Anwhere launched Jan (?) and Game Pass didn't come online til May/June this year.

That aspect to me, is the really interesting thing., as it seems key to MS future plans.

Iaterain

Yes, Nintendo's latest console can't beat the old PS4, but the fact that it is outselling Xbone, without newest AAA games, with outdated ports, with "Nintendo Tax", kiddie games like labo, most expensive accessories and the worst online service to date is very impressive.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Both PS4 and Xbox are up 60% over last year, so that's good.

Here is the all-platform chart for the year so far:
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
Bolded the exclusives. Sony 2, everyone else 0.

Last edited:
Yes, Nintendo's latest console can't beat the old PS4, but the fact that it is outselling Xbone, without newest AAA games, with outdated ports, with "Nintendo Tax", kiddie games like labo, most expensive accessories and the worst online service to date is very impressive.

I'm betting nintendo won't change the price either.

octiny

Banned
Totals Jan-Oct 2018
PS4: 3048K (+14% YoY)
NSW: 2505K (-4% YoY)
XB1: 2083K (+35% YoY)

YoY:
PS4: +62%
Switch: -12%
Xbox One: +64%
3DS: -45%

Nice, very nice.

Looking forward to Nov/Dec numbers.

TLZ

Banned
PS4
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. Soul Calibur VI
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. FIFA 19
  8. WWE 2K19
  9. Madden NFL 19

Is this for October?

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
I expected Xbox would at least be 2nd place considering it was $100 off the X and they had so many deals going on. No wonder Microsoft doesn't release numbers anymore.

Humdinger

I expected Xbox would at least be 2nd place considering it was $100 off the X and they had so many deals going on. No wonder Microsoft doesn't release numbers anymore.

The $100 off X just started a few days ago. The chart is from October.

p.s. Not that $100 off a $500 console is going to put them over the top in November. That's still a high-price machine. It's going up against a $199 Spider-Man bundle.

Last edited:

FranXico

Software sales are nearly identical for PS4 and X1.
BLOPS, RDR, AC, and then one first-party exclusive followed by more third-party games.

WaterAstro

Both PS4 and Xbox are up 60% over last year, so that's good.

Here is the all-platform chart for the year so far:
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
Bolded the exclusives. Sony 2, everyone else 0.
I wonder what's the split between Game Pass and retail for Forza because it definitely didn't sell enough on the retail.

Of course, trying to figure out how much a game has "sold" on game pass is already quite ambiguous.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What do these numbers mean?

Hardware
PS4: 1.34
Switch: 1
Xbox One: 0.83
3DS:0.26

Aintitcool

Banned
Activision has something figured out that the others still havn't. Yearly releases makes their brand the strongest.

Blam

God damn Odyssey is a beast along with fucking black ops. I also see it took another Rockstar game to take GTA V off of the top ten lol.

demigod

I wonder what's the split between Game Pass and retail for Forza because it definitely didn't sell enough on the retail.

Of course, trying to figure out how much a game has "sold" on game pass is already quite ambiguous.

Horizon not charting that high as I thought it would. IMO gamepass is eating into its profits.

This looks like millions sold I'm assuming.
Oh, wow. 1 million Switches sold in October? Is that actually reasonable?

No, those are like percentages. However much something sold last year you extrapolate it this year to figure out the actual numbers without them giving you the real number.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Horizon not charting that high as I thought it would. IMO gamepass is eating into its profits.

And a ton of $30-$35 deals going on now unlike FH3 which was $40 BF a year after release not a few weeks later. I'm not sure game pass is good for big games, probably a loss leader to promote subscriptions only.

It's a racing game, which is a niche genre nowadays. Dont know why you would come in carrying unrealistic expectations.

Infact, it's debut was the debut ever for any racing game ever on xbox. It had to beat out all past forza's and even wildly popular older NFS games to achieve that.

WaterAstro

It's a racing game, which is a niche genre nowadays. Dont know why you would come in carrying unrealistic expectations.

Infact, it's debut was the debut ever for any racing game ever on xbox. It had to beat out all past forza's and even wildly popular older NFS games to achieve that.
It's not unrealistic when Xbox has no other critically acclaimed game this year. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that Gamepass affects it, but by how much is my question.

I think without gamepass, it would have charted higher by 5 spots at least.

Edit: Also having the PC version would affect it just the same.

Last edited:

AgentP

It's not unrealistic when Xbox has no other critically acclaimed game this year. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that Gamepass affects it, but by how much is my question.

I think without gamepass, it would have charted higher by 5 spots at least.

Edit: Also having the PC version would affect it just the same.

I would have grabbed it for $30 this week if it were not for GP. Lucky for me I got bored after 5 hours, so really GP is great if you think of it as a "try before you buy" service. I've saved so much money on games I would have bought and disliked.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
FIFA above Madden is a bit of a surprise

Does anyone know if that's ever happened before? FIFA outselling Madden in Oct.?

The relative decline of Madden vis-a-vis NBA 2K and FIFA does not bode well for the future popularity of American football generally.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Does anyone know if that's ever happened before? FIFA outselling Madden in Oct.?

The relative decline of Madden vis-a-vis NBA 2K and FIFA does not bode well for the future popularity of American football generally.

You're right. What happened here? The NFL ratings are sky high this year so......did EA mess something up?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
You're right. What happened here? The NFL ratings are sky high this year so......did EA mess something up?

my theory: the huge number of anonymous NFL grunts and the massive turnover of rosters due to the violent nature of the game harm its ability to sell Ultimate Team cards, which drives sales these days (sadly).

xStoyax

Banned
impressive growth for xbox though

Not really when you consider how bad sales were last year for Xbox.

The $100 off X just started a few days ago. The chart is from October.

p.s. Not that $100 off a $500 console is going to put them over the top in November. That's still a high-price machine. It's going up against a $199 Spider-Man bundle.

The $100 off has been going off and on all year and yes it was going on in Oct

WaterAstro

I would have grabbed it for $30 this week if it were not for GP. Lucky for me I got bored after 5 hours, so really GP is great if you think of it as a "try before you buy" service. I've saved so much money on games I would have bought and disliked.
Haha, well it served you well. I'm just thinking what Microsoft's strategy is like and whether making their triple-A exclusives on gamepass will work out for them.

The question is does gamepass make more money for them or does selling retails make more money.

AgentP

Haha, well it served you well. I'm just thinking what Microsoft's strategy is like and whether making their triple-A exclusives on gamepass will work out for them.

The question is does gamepass make more money for them or does selling retails make more money.

Hard to tell when they are boasting about revenue and hiding profit numbers. My guess is they are losing money on GP, but it is an investment for the future. Netflix lost money year after year, but they eventually powered through it with exclusive content, kind of what MS hopes to do.

Top Bottom