• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2018 results

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
my theory: the huge number of anonymous NFL grunts and the massive turnover of rosters due to the violent nature of the game harm its ability to sell Ultimate Team cards, which drives sales these days (sadly).

Geez this is so sad, because it might be right. :(

WaterAstro

Hard to tell when they are boasting about revenue and hiding profit numbers. My guess is they are losing money on GP, but it is an investment for the future. Netflix lost money year after year, but they eventually powered through it with exclusive content, kind of what MS hopes to do.
Yeah, I was thinking about the Netflix analogy, and I didn't know Netflix kept losing money. The only problem with that analogy is that Microsoft has to make compelling exclusive content, and it also has two competitors that are in a much stronger position that also could do the exact same thing as gamepass in a very short time. Heck, Sony already has a sort of subscription service, but I think they know they're making a boatload more just selling retail.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
NPD result have folks like...

tenor.gif

It's not unrealistic when Xbox has no other critically acclaimed game this year. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that Gamepass affects it, but by how much is my question.

I think without gamepass, it would have charted higher by 5 spots at least.

Edit: Also having the PC version would affect it just the same.
So you just completely ignored the fact that this is a racing game?

Of course you would, to push your anti xbox narrative. Not surprised.

I wonder what's the split between Game Pass and retail for Forza because it definitely didn't sell enough on the retail.

Of course, trying to figure out how much a game has "sold" on game pass is already quite ambiguous.
It's not unrealistic when Xbox has no other critically acclaimed game this year. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that Gamepass affects it, but by how much is my question.

I think without gamepass, it would have charted higher by 5 spots at least.

Edit: Also having the PC version would affect it just the same.
Haha, well it served you well. I'm just thinking what Microsoft's strategy is like and whether making their triple-A exclusives on gamepass will work out for them.

The question is does gamepass make more money for them or does selling retails make more money.
Yeah, I was thinking about the Netflix analogy, and I didn't know Netflix kept losing money. The only problem with that analogy is that Microsoft has to make compelling exclusive content, and it also has two competitors that are in a much stronger position that also could do the exact same thing as gamepass in a very short time. Heck, Sony already has a sort of subscription service, but I think they know they're making a boatload more just selling retail.

Why am I not surprised to see you spending all your attention on Microsoft again? The simple truth is the servers are full and will be alive a long time. Sony pulls server support on Gran Turismo quicker.

Also if you actually listened to Phil Spencer instead of always viewing him as your enemy, he already stated gamers are playing more thanks to Game Pass. He also said softwares sales have exceeded expectations because friends see them playing on Game Pass so they end up buying the game. More exposure. It really is the best value out there, it's too bad your console war attitude prevents you from simply enjoying games on all platforms.

demigod

Why am I not surprised to see you spending all your attention on Microsoft again? The simple truth is the servers are full and will be alive a long time. Sony pulls server support on Gran Turismo quicker.

Also if you actually listened to Phil Spencer instead of always viewing him as your enemy, he already stated gamers are playing more thanks to Game Pass. He also said softwares sales have exceeded expectations because friends see them playing on Game Pass so they end up buying the game. More exposure. It really is the best value out there, it's too bad your console war attitude prevents you from simply enjoying games on all platforms.

Phil Spencer : Jump
Xbox fans : How high master?

Seriously you guys believe everything Phil says. There is no data to back up his claim. There IS data that its not charting so high on NPD. But go ahead and keep bringing the excuses.

Phil Spencer : Jump
Xbox fans : How high master?

Seriously you guys believe everything Phil says. There is no data to back up his claim. There IS data that its not charting so high on NPD. But go ahead and keep bringing the excuses.

Yet you guys can't stop being glued to every word and talk nonstop about them.

No data? The only data I need is enjoying the games and finding players quickly online. Maybe if you allowed yourself to actually enjoy one of the highest rated franchises you'd see it too.

It's only 3 places off of Spiderman. A system that sold over double. Horizon will also have longer legs. In fact previous Horizon game servers stick around longer than Sony's flagship racer.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

It's only 3 places off of Spiderman. A system that sold over double. Horizon will also have longer legs. In fact previous Horizon game servers stick around longer than Sony's flagship racer.

The game certainly did not bomb or amything, but being 3 places away from Spidey on the monthly chart (Forza's release month btw), doesnt tell us much in terms of units sold as there can be an enourmous gulf in sales between any given number.

Case in point, Spidey is number four on the year to date chart, and Forza is not 3 places behind it there. In fact its not in the top 10 at all.

The game certainly did not bomb or amything, but being 3 places away from Spidey on the monthly chart (Forza's release month btw), doesnt tell us much in terms of units sold as there can be an enourmous gulf in sales between any given number.

Case in point, Spidey is number four on the year to date chart, and Forza is not 3 places behind it there. In fact its not in the top 10 at all.

Spiderman sold very well, better than God Of War so far.

NPD all platforms software charts – September 2018 – top 10
  1. Spider-Man
  2. NBA 2K19
  3. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  4. FIFA 19
  5. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  6. Madden NFL 19
  7. Forza Horizon 4
  8. Destiny 2
  9. Super Mario Party
  10. NHL 19
As you can see Horizon 4 dropped a lot less than Spiderman did from last month.

AlexxKidd

1. Spider-Man
  2. NBA 2K19
  4. FIFA 19
  6. Madden NFL 19
  7. Forza Horizon 4
  8. Destiny 2
  9. Super Mario Party
  10. NHL 19

Ok thats grateful Forza, but not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China. I was replying strictly to your bolded section about being X number of places behind Spider-Man doesn't mean a whole lot if we don't know the unit sales involved. In terms of longevity, well we're just going to have to agree to disagree while I believe Forza maybe a great game I think Spider-Man is as well, and I think it will have amazing legs. Only time can tell that one for sure, I wouldn't go celebrating anything about legs based on a month or two out.

1. Spider-Man
  2. NBA 2K19
  4. FIFA 19
  6. Madden NFL 19
  7. Forza Horizon 4
  8. Destiny 2
  9. Super Mario Party
  10. NHL 19

But Spidey sold few times more than Forza in September and in October in NPD, isn't it? Where is Forza in "All Platforms YTD"?

All Platforms YTD
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  7. Monster Hunter: World
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Call of Duty: WWII^

Forza can only dream about those numbers. That means gulf in sales numbers between Forza's 11th place ( even game dropped off few places less than Spider-man ) and Spided-man's 8th place are still pretty big

Just saw this pic on other forum. PS4s ready for pickup. Poor Xbone :

dix2p1d57rz112wdtl.jpg

Last edited:
Ok thats grateful Forza, but not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China. I was replying strictly to your bolded section about being X number of places behind Spider-Man doesn't mean a whole lot if we don't know the unit sales involved. In terms of longevity, well we're just going to have to agree to disagree while I believe Forza maybe a great game I think Spider-Man is as well, and I think it will have amazing legs. Only time can tell that one for sure, I wouldn't go celebrating anything about legs based on a month or two out.
The argument was that it isn't charting that high by demon. It's charting not bad at all and Game Pass exposes the game even more. I said the servers are full of people, the game is great and going by the last one it's going to have long legs and that game wasn't even on Game Pass.

You guys spend all your time comparing PS4 results compared to Xbox One to even allow yourselves to enjoy a game like Horizon 4. It's as though you are unable to even enjoy your PS4 without talking about the Xbox One in the same sentence. That's why I laughed at Water, he's so consumed by shitting on the system that you often wonder if he cares about anything else.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
PS4 is unstoppable, breaking records almost every month, after 5 years in..... PS2 you better watch out because PS4 will assume pole position on hardware sales when all is said and done.....

Airbus Jr

Banned
Without even reading the post let me guess PS4 win again?

Jesus even as diehard ps fans it's getting frustrating for me to see this

It's getting really boring and tedious can you guys let Nintendo and Microsoft win for awhile ffs at least for a month please

PS4 is becoming like Golden State Warriors and everyone else trying to do everything they can to beat him but they still cant

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

It's getting really boring and tedious can you guys let Nintendo and Microsoft win for awhile ffs at least for a month please

PS4 is becoming like Golden State Warriors and everyone else trying to do everything they can to beat him but they still cant
Nice analogy, I like LeBron though.... :messenger_beaming:

PocoJoe

Banned
Switch sales says this to me:

Switch wont get enough new games, so people have to buy old launch games years later.

And it is kind of true, every time i check local stores, switch shelf has those same launch(year) games + some low quality random 3rd party games.

FranXico

The Switch already outsold the PS4 for a few months, I believe.

Nice to see Soul Calibur up there! Crazy numbers for the Ps4.

I think November and December should be interesting. Switch has got Pokemon and Smash coming out for a nice one two punch to drive hardware sales but that Ps4 Spiderman bundle is pretty insane. I honestly don't know which system will come out on top.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^

• Red Dead Redemption II

• Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

• NBA 2K19

• Super Mario Party*

• Soul Calibur VI

• FIFA 19^

• Marvel's Spider-Man

• Madden NFL 19^

• WWE 2K19

Soul Calibur VI 6th place overall, 5th place in PS4's store and 9th place at XBone's store can only be good for the franchise now, right?

I don't recall SCV hitting the NPD.

WaterAstro

So you just completely ignored the fact that this is a racing game?

Of course you would, to push your anti xbox narrative. Not surprised.
No, your narrative is to completely ignore the facts. The best selling game series of all time is Gran Turismo consistently being #1 or #2 top selling games for each PlayStation generation.

Racing games are not niche.

Soul Calibur VI 6th place overall, 5th place in PS4's store and 9th place at XBone's store can only be good for the franchise now, right?

I don't recall SCV hitting the NPD.
Soul Calibur VI debuts as the sixth best-selling game of October. Soul Calibur VI achieved the third highest launch month dollar sales for the franchise in tracked history, trailing only Soul Calibur IV and Soul Calibur II.

November should be insane for PS4, Spider bundle is doing some serious damage.
For the holiday season it's always any console can come in at first or last.
I would not bet on anything yet.

Just seems like Sony has the highest chance to win November and Nintendo to win December.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Soul Calibur VI debuts as the sixth best-selling game of October. Soul Calibur VI achieved the third highest launch month dollar sales for the franchise in tracked history, trailing only Soul Calibur IV and Soul Calibur II.

The Juggernaut and the most acclaimed game of the franchise SCII and SCIV, well, it certainly is a good way to see the series, after 5.

Thanks for the adittional info.

AlexxKidd

Nice to see Soul Calibur up there! Crazy numbers for the Ps4.

I think November and December should be interesting. Switch has got Pokemon and Smash coming out for a nice one two punch to drive hardware sales but that Ps4 Spiderman bundle is pretty insane. I honestly don't know which system will come out on top.

Humdinger answered this perfectly.

Sony will win November, sure. I don't know about December.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If history repeats itself, Sony won't have any December deals and will barely try to compete.

cryptoadam

Banned
PS4 is unstoppable, breaking records almost every month, after 5 years in..... PS2 you better watch out because PS4 will assume pole position on hardware sales when all is said and done.....

It really is a beast and coming of the PS3 very surprising. Still have my day 1 PS4 and going strong.

Only issue I have with Sony is not allowing EA access on the PS4.

thelastword

Banned
Mat Piscatella "Npd Sales Insider" says...

"PlayStation 4 hardware unit sales achieved an all-time October high for the platform, while PlayStation 4 hardware dollar sales reached its highest point for an October month since October 2014. October 2018 unit sales of PlayStation 4 reached the highest mark for any PlayStation hardware platform in an October month since the PlayStation 2 in October 2002."

That's mighty impressive.....Why would Sony dare to bring in new hardware in 2019? That would be such a self-defeating move....At this point, nothing touches PS4 and demand is through the roof, so keep fueling and distributing PS4's and great games and let that Ryzen 7nm++ and Navi mature for late 2020......Then we rinse and repeat....

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

"PlayStation 4 hardware unit sales achieved an all-time October high for the platform, while PlayStation 4 hardware dollar sales reached its highest point for an October month since October 2014. October 2018 unit sales of PlayStation 4 reached the highest mark for any PlayStation hardware platform in an October month since the PlayStation 2 in October 2002."

That's mighty impressive.....Why would Sony dare to bring in new hardware in 2019? That would be such a self-defeating move....At this point, nothing touches PS4 and demand is through the roof, so keep fueling and distributing PS4's and great games and let that Ryzen 7nm++ and Navi mature for late 2020......Then we rinse and repeat....

The difference is that unlike most generation shifts, the basic hardware isn't going to change radically. We know they are staying with AMD and x64, so basic software compatibility is assured. Despite all the yak about differing micro-architectures, most devs aren't going to need to do much more than change a few compiler switches.

This is a massive, massive break from past transitions, and especially so given the current gen of hardware is so capable already that the general nature of titles produced for it is unlikely to be that different.

Azurro

Banned

You don't wait until your current product has lost all interest and sales have dried up to announce a follow up. That tarnishes the brand.

There's a sweet spot in the product's life cycle where the interest is strong in the brand, while you have made most of the products sales and technology has matured enough where a successor product is possible.

You also have to be wary of the competition, given the fabrication nodes available now, if Sony doesn't have a machine to answer to MS's new offering, it could represent a big blow to the business.

For some reason some fans think a year or two make a huge difference in terms of power. They don't, new fabrication processes do. A Ps5 on a 7 mm process coming one year later than an Xbox whatever on a 7 nm process will not be much stronger.

Xiaoki

The Juggernaut and the most acclaimed game of the franchise SCII and SCIV, well, it certainly is a good way to see the series, after 5.

Thanks for the adittional info.
Soul Calibur 6 being 6th on the list basically means nothing since we dont have actual numbers you cant tell what the disparity is between #4 and #5 or between #5 and #6.

The sales revenue is not great either. Since its below SC4 and that made around $18 million at launch. So, you're looking at around 200,000 to 250,000 in sales for SC6.

Which you might think is a good start but it hasnt been popular post-launch and its bombed on everything except US PS4.

Top Bottom