• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

What do you mean? This is already shaping up to be there most competitive gen in well, generations!

Its actually pretty exciting. About time we had a real fighting landscape. Going to be great for consumers

I hope this is sarcasm, because none of the systems are going to end up close to each other in either US or worldwide, besides maybe 3DS vs XB1 in the US (what a wacky comparison) and Wii U vs Vita worldwide (lol).

Wouldn't XB1 owners be more likely to buy Madden digitally with the EA Access dealy?

I guess that depends on what gamers feel delivers the best value...

Buy the game digitally for $54.00 without the ability to sell it later, knowing it will eventually enter the vault and they can then get it for"free."

Or, is a better value buying it physically for $59.99 with the ability to sell it later when they can get it from the vault...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm assuming you mean US only and you're totally ignoring Nintendo.

I think you all have a different definition of "competitive" than I do?

The amount of money first parties are spending and will continue to spend to get a competitive edge because they launched at the same time and are close in sales is going to be good for the market. We are already getting tons of games out of it. And Nintendo will need to shake things up if they wanna still play. It's exciting. It's good to have options.

Raziel

Most $500 skus don't have the name Call of Duty attached to the box so I think you would be misguided with that assessment. The CoD bundle is also far outselling the Sunset bundle so there's also that.

Most Call of Duty names don't have the $500 MSRP attached to the box, so I think I'm guided with that assessment. The latter point says more to me about the comparative lack of interest in Sunset.

Freeman

Banned
If GTAV arrives in November, good luck for MCC making the Xbox beat the PS4. Specially if there is a GTAV bundle.

allan-bh

The amount of money first parties are spending and will continue to spend to get a competitive edge because they launched at the same time and are close in sales is going to be good for the market. We are already getting tons of games out of it. And Nintendo will need to shake things up if they wanna still play. It's exciting. It's good to have options.

You are ignoring the world and talking about US right?

Dlacy13g

Can't believe Madden sold more on PS4 even with the XBO bundle. If CoD sells more on PS4 I think it's fair to say that that'd be the last nail on the coffin.

There really isn't any other game that when mentioned screams Xbox. And any future exclusives simply aren't going to cut it (as amazing as Horizon 2 is, seriously).

Part of me is sad, because it's becoming more and more clear this gen won't be really that competitive. But another part of me, the one that grew up around the PS2 era, really wishes for that blissful homogeneity back. ALL the games, one console.

Oh well, whatever can happen, will happen...

Lord have MARCY HEYSEUSS! did you not read the passage in john 7-11 where it says "NPD was commanded of thou to dismiss bundle inclusion thy bosom?"

In other words NPD does not track bundles.

I hope MS can win oct with FH2 and SO and NOV with COD & Halo. Just for competition sake. Phil deserves to win a month or 2 with all he's done with the Xbox this year.

November maybe, October no way. SO will sell some consoles just because of the bundle, but probably bomb after that. Anyone who wanted an XBO for Forza likely already got one. Driveclub will probably move more consoles than FH2.

crazyprac

I hope MS can win oct with FH2 and SO and NOV with COD & Halo. Just for competition sake. Phil deserves to win a month or 2 with all he's done with the Xbox this year.

Now that the generation is pretty much set to be a PS2 style domination I just hope that we can get another library of games as glorious as the PS2's.

I agree. The diversity of the ps2 game library was amazing and hopefully the ps4 future library mirrors this.

Just for competition sake.

Am I wrong in thinking their wording is a bit messed up in the Venturebeat piece? Seems to contradict itself:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/11/august-2014-npd-madden-sells-better-on-ps4-than-xbox-one/

It's a bit odd wording but that's probably due to an edit that indicated that PS4 Retail Standalone > XB1 Retail Standalone + XB1 Madden Bundle without correcting the following sentence really.

The

Madden may have done that

clearly refers to

even give a boost to the Xbox One since Microsoft was selling a game-plus-console bundle at retail.

Cheech

I guess that depends on what gamers feel delivers the best value...

Buy the game digitally for $54.00 without the ability to sell it later, knowing it will eventually enter the vault and they can then get it for"free."

Or, is a better value buying it physically for $59.99 with the ability to sell it later when they can get it from the vault...

People are lazy. Including me, as I bought Madden 15 on the Bone just so I could get it digitally at a discount, and get the MUT stuff at a discount as well.

It helps that this is the most improved iteration of Madden ever.

C'mon people - if the xb1 version of madden outsold the ps4's across all channels (physical, bundled, digital) Aaron Greenberg would be making this point known to anyone with a pulse.

Instead we're getting more PR obfuscation.

You can't go from the preseason, to the playoffs, and straight skip the regular season....

C'mon people - if the xb1 version of madden outsold the ps4's across all channels (physical, bundled, digital) Aaron Greenberg would be making this point known to anyone with a pulse.

Instead we're getting more PR obfuscation.

You can't go from the preseason, to the playoffs, and straight skip the regular season....

The numbers now aren't the members that "really count."

Top Bottom